OT: NO LONGER disappointed with BFD :)

Author
v42x
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 150
2006/06/12 11:38:46 (permalink)

OT: NO LONGER disappointed with BFD :)

i got BFD a few months back cos of all the good reviews in the Sonar forum. previously i was using battery, and mostly the ns-kit.

now, while i am very happy with the bass drum, snare and toms, the hi hats and cymbals i thought were poor so i continued using the ns-kit hihats and cymbals. then BFD-XL and _DLX came out, with greatly improved hihats and cymbals. the answer to my problems? no.

maybe its due to my PC being old and not running SSE (BFD wont run standalone and i have had to run at 16 bit and 64 levels so that the -DLX will run smoothly), but . . . the hihats and cymbals are so SHORT. maybe less than a second, with a quite noticeable truncation (slightly faded). is this correct? the cymbals on ns-kit (free) last seconds and fade naturally and so are usable in all situations. BFD and -DLX (over 500€) seem so stunted that they can only be used where the other instruments can hide the lost tail.

i must be doing something wrong - is there a setting in BFD that needs changing? i havent tweaked much, but maybe ive mucked something up? in the meantime im back to using BFD and battery together.

OOPS - sorry, this should have gone in another forum (not sure id get an unbiased reply in the BFD/KVR forum)
post edited by vojx - 2006/06/19 06:55:10

vojx_studios
"pukka PC, loadsa warez - diamond geezer"

9 Replies Related Threads

tomhan
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 158
    RE: OT: disappointed with BFD 2006/06/12 12:26:09 (permalink)
    I use BFD 1.5 (standard version) and I don't have problems with cymbals truncating at all. I'm not sure if you
    are having a setup issue or not since I haven't had nor heard of that particular problem. Based upon how you ask your question, I don't think you have to worry about getting a biased response. It's not a question of "is BFD good or not", it's just that you need technical advise from someone who has deep knowledge of the product. The BFD/KVR forum is where those in the know, including the programmers for BDF, hang out. I'm sure they can help you work through the issues.

To have peace, teach peace.
    VanAsher
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 77
    RE: OT: disappointed with BFD 2006/06/12 12:46:21 (permalink)
    Yes- don't just assume BFD is crap, cuz it's not. It's an incredible sounding piece of software. The cymbals aren't meant to sound like that.
    But it's complex and memory hungry and it takes some tweaking (at least it did on my system- and I'm still learning)
    Make sure you have the recommended minimum 768mb ram.

Tomham is right though- you will get answers on the KVR FXpansion forum.

Your problem may be this though: change your "max cache buffers" to 64.

Andy

v42x
    RE: OT: disappointed with BFD 2006/06/13 07:20:18 (permalink)
    thanks for the replies, youve reassured me that the problem is my set up. ill do some more tweaking, and drop by the kvr forum if i have no success.

vojx_studios

lawapa
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: OT: disappointed with BFD 2006/06/13 20:28:02 (permalink)
    VOJX: could you use a lesser app to sequence your drums then render to audio using BFD and just a few sounds? This has got me through a few tight spots when my system was not fast enough to run big apps.
    Bonzos Ghost
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1112
    RE: OT: disappointed with BFD 2006/06/15 18:29:29 (permalink)
    Ya, something's up with your system. I have none of those issues with BFD. I run it "full blown", all outputs, 24bit etc. and have not encountered anything like what you're describing.

If your pc is only 1.3G, you probably need more horsepower. By comparison, I'm running an Athlon64 3400+ with 1 gig of ram.
    v42x
    RE: OT: disappointed with BFD 2006/06/16 03:59:14 (permalink)
    i was wondering that because the Athlon (pre-XP) doesnt run SSE (so i understand) then that was causing the problems. BFD doesnt run standalone, and only runs in ONE project (and String Theory must be running alongside) which i thus use as a template for new tracks. the original driver from the BFD DVD worked better, version 1.5.37 or so seemed to break it (grooves dont work, audition of drums crashes the engine). rewinding the driver didnt help.

as it is, i solo and bounce each drum one at a time, but the cymbals still dont render properly.

so either the chip is too old (cant upgrade till next year) or i need to experiment with settings.

thanks for the suggestions , ill reply once ive sorted it.

vojx_studios

ajwmusic
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 55
    RE: OT: disappointed with BFD 2006/06/16 11:02:39 (permalink)
    1.33GHz Athlon
    The solution is very simple..Get a new PC..This one is OK to run a word processor-but if you're trying to do some heavy lifting-it's going to be out of puff in no time..And in music technology-if your computer's puffed-you're stuffed :) ajw

8 Million Terrabyte Wooden Stick
    5 Expresso Machines
    3 Plastic Egg Shakers
    1 Katana
    :)
    Alan Chang
    • Total Posts : 133
    RE: OT: disappointed with BFD 2006/06/16 11:34:14 (permalink)
    Recommended:
    Wait right after July ends. This is the BEST point to get a new DAW. The Intels and AMD pricings are cutting in half. You can get a dual core for almost half of what today's price are listed. If you need it NOW, then start researching. Just letting you know.

Ask yourself, what's life?
    Life is a journey that you walk alone.
    v42x
    RE: OT: disappointed with BFD 2006/06/19 06:44:41 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ajwmusic

The solution is very simple..Get a new PC..This one is OK to run a word processor-but if you're trying to do some heavy lifting-it's going to be out of puff in no time..And in music technology-if your computer's puffed-you're stuffed :) ajw

the solution was very simple - untick the "Preview RAM only" box. BFD is now totally UNdisappointing (as i knew it should be)

1.3GHz was fine 5 years ago and still functions. just gotta freeze a lot more, but as a hobbyist that's not a great problem. i find workarounds that get me by - i need to when a large project (for me that's 35-40 tracks) wont allow me to run even 1 instance of Trash.

ta again for the help, i can now retire to the studio and make some noise

vojx_studios

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1