OT: New Rush CD and others

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
Hansenhaus
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1866
2007/05/05 00:12:04 (permalink)

OT: New Rush CD and others

Wow. I picked up the new Rush CD today. I was grossly disspointed in the engineering. The CD is too F"ing loud. It's compressed and limited to death, noisy and just plain hard to listen to. The drums sound very lame and the vocals are so buried under the lousy guitar sound I can hardly make it out what Geddy is singing. The mixes have no punch, clarity or seperation and clip all over the place. I'm not sure where things start to get out of control. Whether it's at the mixing stage, in the mastering or both but who ever is making the decisions to pump CDs up to death should have their ass fired. I'm TOTALLY sick of this BS. When is the industry going to wake up and do the right thing and put back the dynamic range back in music? It's painfully obvious today's music sounds much worse than 10 years ago. Put on Moving Pictures and it BLOWS away the sound of their new CD. That CD was done over 20 years ago!

Is it just the analog vs. digital thing or have today's trends just passed me by?
Are these so called "professional" engineers clueless about how to get a good sound and mix a track well?
How can the people involved with that relsase sit back and listen to it with pride?

Can someone please point me in the direction of a great sounding CD what was mixed completely in the box so I may renew my enthusiam for todays music and digital mixing?

Eric
post edited by Hansenhaus - 2007/05/05 00:14:52

Eric Hansen
My Website 
Live Videos
Acoustic Guitar Pickups
 ---------------
Core i7 2600K
Intel DP67BG 
16GB RAM
RME HDSP9652 (ASIO)
Windows 10 x64
Sonar Platinum x64 (English)

102 Replies Related Threads

ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/05 00:30:53 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Hansenhaus

Wow. I picked up the new Rush CD today. I was grossly disspointed in the engineering. The CD is too F"ing loud. It's compressed and limited to death, noisy and just plain hard to listen to. The drums sound very lame and the vocals are so buried under the lousy guitar sound I can hardly make it out what Geddy is singing. The mixes have no punch, clarity or seperation and clip all over the place. I'm not sure where things start to get out of control. Whether it's at the mixing stage, in the mastering or both but who ever is making the decisions to pump CDs up to death should have their ass fired. I'm TOTALLY sick of this BS. When is the industry going to wake up and do the right thing and put back the dynamic range back in music? It's painfully obvious today's music sounds much worse than 10 years ago. Put on Moving Pictures and it BLOWS away the sound of their new CD. That CD was done over 20 years ago!

Is it just the analog vs. digital thing or have today's trends just passed me by?
    Are these so called "professional" engineers clueless about how to get a good sound and mix a track well?
    How can the people involved with that relsase sit back and listen to it with pride?

Can someone please point me in the direction of a great sounding CD what was mixed completely in the box so I may renew my enthusiam for todays music and digital mixing?

Eric

I'm sorry to hear that.. there was a big $hit storm over Vapor Trails when it came out because it was driven to clipping and had almost no dynamic range. It would appear who should have been fired was not. Todays CDs are just like that. I'm not buying any till it stops. Recently I've been buying import LPs off e-bay. I put a real stereo together and dusted off my turntable and it kicks.. well you know. In fact anything with an attack like kick drum or acoustic guitar picking... almost everything sounds better on LP the attack just has that "snap" to it and the tone is fantastic.

I've been listening to records so much I played a CD last night and from force of habit I tried to turn it over and play the other side... the CD player didn't like that.
    post edited by ohhey - 2007/05/05 00:33:28
    craigwilson
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 201
    RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/05 00:59:29 (permalink)
    I get to transcribe a lot of reel tape and vinyl and it is so refreshing to look at and listen to how the dynamics of these mediums were often utilised. I think for reference, the levels on the vinyl of Beatles "Sgt Peppers" sound better than almost any modern recording with all the SLAMMED levels. I think that we are in a strange place with technology. Even a poor boy like me has the tools available to do wonderfully detailed and dynamic recordings. But the masses are used to mp3's and squashed dynamic range. I guess it's an old story, if you can't be good, be loud!

It is surprising that Rush would not listen to thier old stuff and realise how good it sounds compared to a lot of recent releases. Oh, just put Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" on the turntable, put on your headphones (and optionally imbibe your substance of choice) and everything seems right with the world...

It's not a question of digital versus analog, it's golden ears versus tin ears I think. We do live in a very loud world now...

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you might think.
    agincourtdb
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4753
    RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/05 01:28:53 (permalink)
    Yeah, I bought it too, yesterday, and I've listened maybe three times.... The thing about Vapor Trails is, while it's a terribly mastered CD, the music itself was good. This one just sounds like Presto. It's a shame, you know... Yes has recently made a great CD (Magnification), and it's sad that Rush can't get their act together too...

eric_peterson
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/05 03:11:27 (permalink)
    Yeah, I bought it too, yesterday, and I've listened maybe three times.... The thing about Vapor Trails is, while it's a terribly mastered CD, the music itself was good. This one just sounds like Presto. It's a shame, you know... Yes has recently made a great CD (Magnification), and it's sad that Rush can't get their act together too...

Sorry to hear that, the concert will be better! I have tickets ... Even with that said, I'll probably still spring for the CD warts and all.
    EgM
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 227
    RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/05 03:22:27 (permalink)
    heh, don't feel bad it's like that everywhere these days, I mastered a CD for one of our clients, was mostly classical with ensembles and vocals, radio turned her down because it was too thin ;)

Goes to show, radio station guys are too lazy to read VU meters these days and adapt their levels to *good* music to match their blocky-wav-form **** they play every day.

I sadly had to remaster it to -14 ~ -12db RMS for them to actually accept it, dynamics they don't want any. Talk about murdering good musical skills.
    post edited by EgM - 2007/05/05 03:25:03

Eric E. Hache
    http://www.gamemusic.ca
    losguy
    Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5506
    RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/05 03:32:09 (permalink)
    Yes, it's sad. To answer your question, no, digital CAN sound better than analog. CD's have more dynamic range than tape or vinyl (though some would argue about imaging quality at 44.1 kHz, but that's another topic altogether). The problem is, with the way that productions are squashed, they're using very little of the available dynamic range... which is a LOT. That's what's so tragic, infuriating, and (insert preferred negative emotion here).

The radio guys that turned down the CD because it was too quiet were behaving like morons. You would think that someone in radio would understand what a volume knob is, and how to use it.

Psalm 30:12
    All pure waves converge at the Origin
    Hansenhaus
    RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/05 05:03:26 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: agincourtdb

I hurts me to say negative stuff about Rush since I really respect them but it seems like they have lost their edge. Technical aspects aside I didn't really like the the new Rush album much. Not a whole lot of melodic content there and the instrumentals were pretty boring. I've sort of been out of the loop with Rush for a while so I've been cathcing up with the stuff between Power Windos and now. This one is definitely a let down. One thing that struck me was Alex and Geddy got some engineering credit. I would think after 30 years of rock concerts their hearing is not what it use to be. They would be the last ones I would trust with a knob. The guitar tone is noisy and most of the tracks are doubled and panned hard L/R. It sort of swallows up the entire middle leaving the vocals, bass and drums sounding distant and weak. They probably spent a ton of money in in the studio and for what?

There are pictures from the sessions on their website. There must be over 25 mics on Neil's drums. I thought that photo was awesome but when I heard the results I was shocked at how lousy it sounded. There is no excuse for a band like Rush to have a bad souding CD. They have a large budget and the experience to get the job done. They missed the mark on this one along with the elite group of tards that mixed and mastered it.

Oh by the way, I'm not impressed with their new producer either. The arrangements are not very good.

On a lighter note, the artwork is great. It seems like Hugh Syme is the only one that still has creativity. Maybe they should hire him as the producer!

Eric Hansen
    My Website 
    Live Videos
    Acoustic Guitar Pickups
     ---------------
    Core i7 2600K
    Intel DP67BG 
    16GB RAM
    RME HDSP9652 (ASIO)
    Windows 10 x64

CJaysMusic
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/05 06:40:03 (permalink)
    Eric, your really upset with this ore after Reading your thread everyone is thinking the same way, I havent heard it yet and prob. never will now. I like 2112, itwas my favorite of all of them I guess we will never hear anything like that again from them, Thats a shame, What happened to those 3 guys anyway. When they were in the roon, didnt they now the sound sucked, or did they have any creative control over their music, it looks like the producers and the enginner royaly screwed them,..
    I want my old Rush Back.

Cj
    post edited by CJaysMusic - 2007/05/05 06:42:26

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Antler
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 487
    RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/05 08:09:40 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: craigwilson
    It is surprising that Rush would not listen to thier old stuff and realise how good it sounds compared to a lot of recent releases. Oh, just put Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" on the turntable, put on your headphones (and optionally imbibe your substance of choice) and everything seems right with the world...

Which makes me wonder: do bands/artists actually listen to the commercial cd of their own work, or do they have a special version which hasn't been squashed to death?
    John Page
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 672
    RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/05 08:50:45 (permalink)

David Gilmore "On an Island" released 2006 the music is on the sleepy side but mastered wonderfully average RMS -3db

I bought the Rush CD yesterday and listened to it in my car which is not the best way to judge a CD but its much better than Vapor Trails mastering wise. I didn’t hear any obvious distortion but I did hear limiting kicking in but were taking in the car and that could be the electronics in the my CD player. I going to put it up on my mains in the studio latter today and I can comment better about what I’m hearing.

The biggest difference from like say moving pictures and the new CD is the drum and Guitar sounds are HUGE, real HUGE on the new CD making the Bass sound kind of on the wimpy and not leaving much room for the vocals to stand out.
    post edited by John Page - 2007/05/05 08:51:41
    soundtweaker
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1036
    RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/05 10:21:23 (permalink)
    I agree the new Rush CD is mixed and mastered much better than Vapor Trails even though there is alot of compression.
    But the more I listen to the songs on Snakes and Arrows, the more I like them.
    They arrangements are hard to follow but after a few listens you start to pick it up.
    I think Bravest Face, Malnar, and Far Cry and my favs.
    buckybeen
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 335
    RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/05 10:23:21 (permalink)
    Rush, is one of my all time favorite groups, but I hear what you're all saying. Live, no one can touch them, but in the studio, they now seem lost. Re: technology etc., modern music sounds much less "organic" than it did 20 plus years ago. I listen to Sirius Radio's "First Wave" a lot, and I can hear knobs being tweaked, and guitars being banged. Just because we have all this digital equipment at our disposal, doesn't mean we have to use it.

"I think you've got something there. I'll wait outside until you clean it up."
    tarsier
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/05 10:46:15 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: John Page
    [David Gilmore "On an Island" released 2006 the music is on the sleepy side but mastered wonderfully average RMS -3db

Are you sure about that number? Just offhand, that would be an incredibly loud/squashed recording.
    Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/05 10:53:47 (permalink)
    The CD is too F"ing loud. It's compressed and limited to death

Most of the engineering flaws you're pointing out are directly the result of smashing the !$!$ out of the material with peak limiting.

It's a tough spot to be in.
    If a band chooses fidelity (read not hitting the peak limiter hard), the sound isn't "contemporary"... and runs the risk of not playing/selling as well. IMO, Had Rush chosen to record/mix/master to sound like "Moving Pictures" in 2007, you would hear negative comments about how they're stuck in the past... and have nothing new to offer.

I do think the Snakes and Arrows record is mixed/mastered better than Vapor Trails. VT was horrible in that regard.
    But... if you factor in what Neil Peart had just been thru in his personal life, it's amazing that VT was ever made.

From a strictly engineering standpoint, I started dis-liking the engineering on Counterparts. Kevin Shirley's tracks sounded like mud pie... and the songs just sounded 'un-finished' to me.
    The Rupert Hine records sounded amazing clean/clear... and the song-writing/arrangements were strong... but the mixes sound brittle (truck loads of 3-5k).
    The Peter Collins records fell somewhere in-between (not bad - but not awesome).

Rush defined their sound with Terry Brown. For many, I'm not sure that anything else will sound as good (or 'right').
    But we could nit-pick at the TB records too...
    ie: The drum sound of Moving pictures is a bit small/brittle... ;-)

One thing that starting to drive me nuts is Alex purposely avoiding guitar solos.
    (He's incredibly expressive with solos)
    I can understand not forcing solos just for the sake of ego...
    But avoiding one at the perfect moment is... well... inappropriate. ;-)

I need to listen to the new record more...
    When the single Far Cry was first released, I wasn't crazy about it.

post edited by Jim Roseberry - 2007/05/05 11:27:06

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    keith
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3882
    RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/05 11:12:48 (permalink)
    Can't speak for the Gilmore album... but staying on the post-Floyd theme... Roger Waters' "Amused to Death" (1992?) is definately an album to listen to if you want to hear dynamics... Bob Katz even gives it a shout-out: http://www.digido.com/misc-content/honor-roll.html I'm actually a little younger than the Floyd generation, so I sort of missed that whole thing (I remember "The Wall"... but I was like 8 at the time )... but this Roger Waters album is just fantastic... The artistry, production, and engineering combine to produce something that is very compelling for listeners... Would have been mixed analog...

You know, I don't understand why the industry can't just put a damn label on the CD... You know, "hey stupid, if you like your CDs loud then turn up the volume 2 notches when you listen to this one". Kinda like the warning sticker they put on for parental advisories... In fact, since it's all digital they could make a standard where CD players get fed a code when they read the TOC to compensate the volume appropriately...

You know what's so ridiculous is the whole concept of "high-def" audio... WHAT?!?!?! So I get to listen to the same old, squashed, clipped CRAP... but now I guess the clipping and lack of dynamics is more pristine than before... Gotcha.

keith
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3882
    RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/05 11:16:02 (permalink)
    ... Oh, and let's not forget that radio stations are going to pump it all through their own compressors anyway, so why destroy the sound at the CD???
    gnie
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 776
    RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/05 11:36:25 (permalink)
    I picked up a used CD containing a song I'd become attached to for completely non-musical reasons, and the difference between hearing it on a home stereo and in the car is just amazing. At home of course there's more detail and subtlety, but all the drive (sorry) seems to vanish. In the car the drums pick up and the sparseness of the arrangements takes on a whole other dynamic. The vocals are somewhat isolated at home, but fully immersed in the car. Now, it may be played much louder while driving, but I wonder if this isn't intentionally mixed for high volume levels. I've also read a few times where recordings are being oriented toward headphone listening. Seems those of us who really appreciate sound are an ever-shrinking minority.
    John Page
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 672
    RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/05 11:47:13 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: tarsier

[David Gilmore "On an Island" released 2006 the music is on the sleepy side but mastered wonderfully average RMS -3db

Are you sure about that number? Just offhand, that would be an incredibly loud/squashed recording.

Good catch!!!!!!!!!

It's mastered at -15db
    losguy
    RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/05 12:00:13 (permalink)
    It's mastered at -15db

Now that's a ray of hope.

ZenFly
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 173
    RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/05 12:05:02 (permalink)
    I have to chime in here. I just got Snakes and Arrows and was pretty blown away ...now all that means is it didn't suck like the Vapor Trails, Feedback or the "free" cds from the DVD sets. They DID "fire" someone..Alex! The credits don't show him touching any knobs! This is a vast improvement.

I quite like the album as a whole. There are at least 4 or 5 songs that get me. There are even a couple of guitar solos! And a acoustic 12 string piece as well as 2 other instrumentals. Not as progressive as their best stuff (Moving Pictures and before) but still some great music.

Not to say it wouldn't have been much better mastered at a more dynamic range. I did notice on one site it was also available in ViNYL?!?. I'd like to hear that sometime.

I concur with the "On an Island" reference...another you might check out is Loreena Mckennitt's latest.

Hansenhaus
    RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/05 13:30:49 (permalink)

The biggest difference from like say moving pictures and the new CD is the drum and Guitar sounds are HUGE, real HUGE on the new CD making the Bass sound kind of on the wimpy and not leaving much room for the vocals to stand out.

I know it's a matter of taste but I have to disagre with you to an extent. I think the drums sound flat and lifeless. There is no punch and the tom fills don't stand out at all. The cymbals sound like crap, period. The guitars on the other hand are big sounding but in a way that hurts the mix badly. When I think of huge guitar sounds that kick totall ass I think King's X. All the right tones. The SnA guitar sound is so blairy and squishy. There is no definition to the sound and absolutely no seperation in the overall mix. It sounds like tons of crap just stacked on each other to me.

Eric

Eric Hansen
    My Website 
    Live Videos
    Acoustic Guitar Pickups
     ---------------
    Core i7 2600K
    Intel DP67BG 
    16GB RAM
    RME HDSP9652 (ASIO)
    Windows 10 x64

Hansenhaus
    RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/05 13:35:58 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Jim Roseberry

Rush defined their sound with Terry Brown. For many, I'm not sure that anything else will sound as good (or 'right').
    But we could nit-pick at the TB records too...
    ie: The drum sound of Moving pictures is a bit small/brittle... ;-)

The drums on Moving Pictures may not be the biggest but they are crystal clear in the mix. I can hear every little thing Neil is doing. The think the kit is very well balanced and the cymbals are great. The kick punches through perfectly on any system I listen to it on.

I agree with the Terry Brown comment.

It's interesting though how Permenant Waves, Moving Pictures and Signals were all recorded in the same place with the same staff and yet all three albums sound drastically different.
    post edited by Hansenhaus - 2007/05/05 13:38:19

Eric Hansen
    My Website 
    Live Videos
    Acoustic Guitar Pickups
     ---------------
    Core i7 2600K
    Intel DP67BG 
    16GB RAM
    RME HDSP9652 (ASIO)
    Windows 10 x64

Hansenhaus
    RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/05 13:40:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: soundtweaker

I agree the new Rush CD is mixed and mastered much better than Vapor Trails even though there is alot of compression.
    But the more I listen to the songs on Snakes and Arrows, the more I like them.
    They arrangements are hard to follow but after a few listens you start to pick it up.
    I think Bravest Face, Malnar, and Far Cry and my favs.

Unfortuantely, I was so disssapointed I gave the CD to a friend of mine. I may purchase the DVD when it comes out next month. The surround mixes may sound better plus I'm interested in any behind the scenes video they may add to it. iTunes has a 5 minute video on the making of the CD but I'm not purchasing the whole album just to see it.

Eric Hansen
    My Website 
    Live Videos
    Acoustic Guitar Pickups
     ---------------
    Core i7 2600K
    Intel DP67BG 
    16GB RAM
    RME HDSP9652 (ASIO)
    Windows 10 x64

tycyphy
    • Total Posts : 162
    RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/05 15:23:59 (permalink)
    I'm one of those Rare rush fans ...that actually like the stuff after signals better than the old stuff. I usually like half the songs on there albums. I think I'll like about half the songs on this one too.
    I have noticed though that the mixing job for them is very hit or miss per album. As much as the whole modern mixing debate loudness war debate...I think can be silly at times...I kinda have to agree on this one. Its mixed/mastered pretty horrid. I do like some albums that are squashed to hell but its usually apropriate for the type of music. Modern mastering styles don't compliment rush's music though.

<<gigabyte 8S661FXM-775 motherboard, 3.2G HT intel CPU, Emu 0404, 1G ram, Sonar 6>

Composer for LA,CA Fire performance company
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBioOp9wJEs
    http:www.machinacandeo.com http://cdbaby.com/cd/tycyphy
    losguy
    RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/05 15:56:03 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: tycyphy
    ...I do like some albums that are squashed to hell but its usually apropriate for the type of music. Modern mastering styles don't compliment rush's music though.

Absolutely right. The first memory that I have with Rush is that world-changing, crashing, ballistic drum roll-down that Neal Peart did on 2112. I can't think of Rush without dynamics. It's like going into battle with earmuffs on. It just doesn't fit.

agincourtdb
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4753
    RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/05 17:17:12 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: keith

... Oh, and let's not forget that radio stations are going to pump it all through their own compressors anyway, so why destroy the sound at the CD???

Like Rush would get radio play today.

Blackwaters End
    • Total Posts : 179
    RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/05 17:50:59 (permalink)
    I'm kind of amazed that a band like Rush even worries about how their stuff sounds on radio anymore. Isn't there just an army of fans out there that tend to buy their stuff regardless of hype or radio play? And certainly their largest revenues probably are from concerts and T-shirt sales...

That said, it's just shameful that a band with their history and stature should suffer from these kinds of problems. Somehow, there must be some sort of interpersonal problems, or someone with tin ears who makes the final decision on the mix that ends up going out the door...and apparently those with ears to hear are unable to speak up and prevent disaster.

But as big a Rush fan as I have been over the years, I still have to agree with the person who said they liked about half of their songs on each album. On the albums since Hold Your Fire, I have probably liked less than that...about 30% (and Power Windows and Hold Your Fire have not help up well over time - at least for me). It's not that their sound has changed so much, IMO...it's just that the material isn't that strong anymore. And for a band that always says of their earlier stuff "well, we don't want to be pigeon-holed and stagnate - we've already been there, done that" I think that's exactly what's happening. They simply aren't all that adventurous. I'm almost hoping someday they will retire from touring and become a 'studio-only' band where they can stretch out and amaze us all once again. But it just doesn't seem like what they want to do anymore.

But I will probably buy this album. I didn't and won't buy Vapor Trails unless they remaster it. There are some good songs on there, but I can't bear to listen to that album (I will admit, I heard so many bad things that I downloaded a few samples first - just awful).

But it's not that big of a deal. There is a lot of music out there to take Rush's place. With better songwriting, better production, better musicianship, etc. Although obviously there is no one who could be a direct replacement for these guys, I will fill in the gap with: The Flower Kings, Dream Theater, Karmakanic, Tomas Bodin, Kaipa, and The Tangent.

All of whom will be coming out with new albums in the next couple of months, all of which will undoubtedly issue albums of very good sonic quality. Or at least better than Rush. :-)

JSkeen
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 612
    RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/05 19:28:03 (permalink)
    I liked the new rush album, although very "hot" I thought the tunes were good. The new porcupine tree album sounds great and isn't very "hot". My girlfriend listens to alot of pop music and sometimes I grab a CD from here to listen back through my setup and 99% of the time it sounds horrible. What are they thinking? Listen back to the dark side of the moon and pull out almost any release over the past 5-6 years and tell me which one sounds better.
    ohhey
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/05 23:56:06 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: JSkeen

I liked the new rush album, although very "hot" I thought the tunes were good. The new porcupine tree album sounds great and isn't very "hot". My girlfriend listens to alot of pop music and sometimes I grab a CD from here to listen back through my setup and 99% of the time it sounds horrible. What are they thinking? Listen back to the dark side of the moon and pull out almost any release over the past 5-6 years and tell me which one sounds better.

I know.. it's just sad and ironic at the same time. It does make me feel better about my production skills to know the so called "pros" are so bad at it.
    Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1