OT: Not surprised, but saddened

Author
Russell.Whaley
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2755
2008/10/06 21:33:17 (permalink)

OT: Not surprised, but saddened

I just received the weekly email from buy.com.

They're selling Harmon Kardon iPod interfaces.

Given what alleges itself to be quality these days, I'm not surprised by this... but saddened.

When I was in college, Harmon Kardon was a name spoken with respect and occasionally awe by audio enthusiasts.

*sigh*
post edited by Russell.Whaley - 2008/10/06 21:36:40

12 Replies Related Threads

droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    RE: OT: Not surprised, but saddened 2008/10/06 21:45:22 (permalink)
    It was already a lot worse than that. There are high end, tube based system for the iPod.

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    krizrox
    Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4046
    RE: OT: Not surprised, but saddened 2008/10/07 06:25:47 (permalink)
    Yeah I've seen all sorts of strangeness for that thing. Harmon Kardon has been making low-endish stuff for the PC market for years. I haven't used or listened to much of that but I assume HK products are of a better quality compared to Soundblasters or something on that level. I might be wrong though. I bought my daughter a Soundblaster surround sound system for her desktop PC a couple of years ago. She didn't need anything real fancy for her dorm room and it seemed, or had the appearance of being a well-made product. But it didn't even last a year. I think the subwoofer crapped out first. This was one of those refurb deals through Creative. Probably should have known better.

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com
    www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
    Jessie Sammler
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2111
    RE: OT: Not surprised, but saddened 2008/10/07 07:12:20 (permalink)
    Harman/Kardon is owned by Harman International, which also owns a huge assortment of other audio-related brands. http://www.harman.com Under the HI banner, HK has lost a lot of the prestige, having been diluted over the years in an effort to lend that prestige to more and more products. But everyone has iPod docks. Krell has one, too. I guess it's how people listen to music these days, and everyone has to consider it, if they're doing consumer audio gear.
    The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    RE: OT: Not surprised, but saddened 2008/10/07 08:34:57 (permalink)
    Yes, when Harmon folded Hafler the quasi hi end reputation of Harmon Intl sound entertainment products rapidly evaporated.

I guess JBL and AKG is still going strong.

best regards,
    mike

Russell.Whaley
    RE: OT: Not surprised, but saddened 2008/10/07 13:05:57 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: krizrox

Yeah I've seen all sorts of strangeness for that thing. Harmon Kardon has been making low-endish stuff for the PC market for years. I haven't used or listened to much of that but I assume HK products are of a better quality compared to Soundblasters or something on that level. I might be wrong though. I bought my daughter a Soundblaster surround sound system for her desktop PC a couple of years ago. She didn't need anything real fancy for her dorm room and it seemed, or had the appearance of being a well-made product. But it didn't even last a year. I think the subwoofer crapped out first. This was one of those refurb deals through Creative. Probably should have known better.

I guess it goes to show that it's a real crap shoot with Creative - I picked up set of Creative refurb speakers (a 4-way quasi-surround system) for $30 4 years ago. It's still doing well, even with little kids in the house.

Back to higher-end stereo stuff of the past... there were a couple guys in my dorm who had enough money for better equipment, always one-upping each other. H-K, Bang & Olafson, it was a veritable candy store in their rooms for a while. But, for all that flash... I was happy with my JC Penney "MCS" component system.

Cheers,

Russ

Frank Haas
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2490
    RE: OT: Not surprised, but saddened 2008/10/07 13:23:13 (permalink)
    Denon is coming strong, at least from what I heard..
    I still use my old stuff, and it still works great.. (when I have the time to listen to a CD, which is 99.9% not the case)
    Harman Kardon 870 Poweramp, small Tascam mixer, JBL L80 speakers, AKG Headphones.. Denon CD player,..
    I was keen on having some of the "good" stuff back then.. now I don't care too much about "qualtity" when it comes down to my home-stereo.. I'm getting old I guess.. so they have to see where they can get new customers.. just a natural process I guess
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: OT: Not surprised, but saddened 2008/10/07 13:44:49 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Frank Haas

Denon is coming strong, at least from what I heard..
    I still use my old stuff, and it still works great.. (when I have the time to listen to a CD, which is 99.9% not the case)
    Harman Kardon 870 Poweramp, small Tascam mixer, JBL L80 speakers, AKG Headphones.. Denon CD player,..
    I was keen on having some of the "good" stuff back then.. now I don't care too much about "qualtity" when it comes down to my home-stereo.. I'm getting old I guess.. so they have to see where they can get new customers.. just a natural process I guess

Harman Kardon has made consumer grade stuff for a long time now, this is not new.

By the way... when was the last time you saw a stereo store ? The HiFi fad is over for the most part. To stay in business you have to sell a large number of something... anything. Young folks don't buy big stereos at all.. I don't know a single person under 40 who has one or spends time just listening to music at home. Muisc is still played in cars and on iPods but that's about it. Even the folks I know who have big stereos don't get to use them unless they live alone. They just sit there and take up most of a wall that could be used for something else. I know... I'm one of them. My stereo gets used about an hour or two a year now... and it's taking up a lot of space. TV is the home entertainment of choice now.

Don't even get me started on the software. It's very clear that loudness and hype replaced HiFi and musical content years ago.
    marcos69
    Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4950
    RE: OT: Not surprised, but saddened 2008/10/07 13:59:17 (permalink)
    I still use my Harman Kardon stereo hooked up to my pioneer 3 way speakers with the 15" woofers. At half volume it's so loud it hurts the ears. It's never been turned all the way up. I'm afraid my widows would blow out.
    post edited by marcos69 - 2008/10/07 14:02:00

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    j boy
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2729
    RE: OT: Not surprised, but saddened 2008/10/07 13:59:42 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ohhey

Even the folks I know who have big stereos don't get to use them unless they live alone. They just sit there and take up most of a wall that could be used for something else. I know... I'm one of them.

Yeah, we only get to crank it when the wife and kids are gone somewhere, huh? Either that or headphones. Which can be fun, watching some random television program in combination with the music, like that 'Wizard of Oz'/'Dark Side of the Moon' thing a while back.
    Jessie Sammler
    RE: OT: Not surprised, but saddened 2008/10/07 22:10:19 (permalink)
    I come from a high-end two-channel background. I have a friend my age who just bought a VPI turntable -- the manual, belt-driven kind with a cartridge that can't run backwards. I have an older VPI myself, two stand-alone stereo systems, one with a Theta Digital D/A converter, Spectral preamp and power amp. Two-channel stereo still kicks ass.
    Russell.Whaley
    RE: OT: Not surprised, but saddened 2008/10/07 23:37:56 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: marcos69

I still use my Harman Kardon stereo hooked up to my pioneer 3 way speakers with the 15" woofers. At half volume it's so loud it hurts the ears. It's never been turned all the way up. I'm afraid my widows would blow out.

There was a guy in the next block up from me who had a pair of those particular Pioneer speakers. We'd listen to the first Boston albums and even on vinyl it seemed that you could hear every harmonic up to the limits of human hearing. Ah, the memories. Wish I could hear that well now...
    post edited by Russell.Whaley - 2008/10/07 23:40:20

Jessie Sammler
    RE: OT: Not surprised, but saddened 2008/10/08 04:13:39 (permalink)
    I had a pair of those Pioneers when I was in college. I used to crank them up and use them as a whole-house audio system. Weren't they something like 97dB sensitive?
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1