OT: Softsynth version of Alesis Quadrasynth?

Author
CakeFan
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 212
2009/05/11 06:39:36 (permalink)

OT: Softsynth version of Alesis Quadrasynth?

I have an old S4 Plus (Rackmount Quadrasynth) that has the best Rhodes sound (named "73 Tines") I've ever heard. I would love to go all softsynth and this is the only module keeping me from this goal.

Are any of you aware of a softsynth version of these tones or any other Quadrasynth sound set for some other SoftSynth?

Thanks for your time.

6 Replies Related Threads

techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: OT: Softsynth version of Alesis Quadrasynth? 2009/05/11 07:23:22 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: CakeFan

I have an old S4 Plus (Rackmount Quadrasynth) that has the best Rhodes sound (named "73 Tines") I've ever heard. I would love to go all softsynth and this is the only module keeping me from this goal.

Are any of you aware of a softsynth version of these tones or any other Quadrasynth sound set for some other SoftSynth?

No, not specifically of the Quadra Synth, but Dimension Pro has some electronic piano sounds. Or you can roll your own from your favorite Quadra Synth patch. All you need is stuff you might already have in place:

a) SONAR

b) Dimension Pro

c) A wave editor like Sony Sound Forge, Audacity, Goldwave, or Adobe Audition;

d) A computer audio device with inputs for recording the output of the Alesis Quadra Synth;

e) A computer MIDI interface for allowing SONAR to control the Alesis Quadra Synth;

f) Windows Notepad for creating the .sfz text files which tell Dimension Pro how to load samples and assign them;

First, get everything hooked up. MIDI out from SONAR to MIDI in of Quadra Synth. Audio out from Quadra Synth to SONAR audio track.

Second, create a MIDI sequence in SONAR that will run through a series of notes at different velocities. How many notes and how many velocities will be determined by how rich/complex you want the resulting sample set to be (ie how many notes should be in the sample set--every note in the range of the QS Rhodes, or every minor-3rd note; and by how many velocity switched layers you want).

Third, run the MIDI sequence from SONAR so that the Quadra Synth responds to it on the Rhodes patch and plays back the note sequences. Have record running in SONAR on an audio track to receive the rendered audio notes.

Fourth, export the recorded audio track with all the individual notes in it as a 24bit wave file then bring this into your wave editor. Use the wave editor to slice out each individual note, apply loop points to them, and save them as individual .wav files.

Fifth, use Notepad to create a text .sfz file that will tell Dimension where how to load and layer the multisamples you created in step 4.

Sixth, launch Dimension Pro, load the SFZ file into an element, tweak the remaining user interface parameters, save as a new Dimension Pro program (.prog) file, and you now have a Dimension Pro virtual instrument version of your favorite Quandra Synth Rhodes sound.

Do this for all your favorite Quadra Synth sounds then you can retire the Quadra Synth.
    Freddie H
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3617
    RE: OT: Softsynth version of Alesis Quadrasynth? 2009/05/11 09:08:24 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: CakeFan

Thanks for your time.

Hi!

I have Quadrasynth Plus-Piano and I use it as a Master keyboard too.

If I like something hardware wise I sample it! Sample the "73 Tines!" and make a new instrument with the samples in Kontakt 3!
    That is the best way go for it. Easy as Pie!

Regards
    Freddie

CakeFan
    RE: OT: Softsynth version of Alesis Quadrasynth? 2009/05/11 11:19:46 (permalink)
    Wow! Thanks guys! I've never sampled a synth before, but I'm fired up about it now!

Techead - Thanks for all that detail. It's much appreciated since I'm a noob at this.
    gustabo
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2591
    RE: OT: Softsynth version of Alesis Quadrasynth? 2009/05/11 11:49:21 (permalink)
    If you sample it, would you share the files with us?

Cakewalk by Bandlab - Win10 Pro x64 - StudioCat Platinum Studio DAW - 32 GB Ram - MOTU UltraLite-mk3
    M-Audio Keystation 88ES - Akai MPD26 (hot-rodded) - Alesis DM10 - a few guitars, a few amps
    Novation Launch Control - Korg nanoKONTROL2 - PreSonus FaderPort - DAW Remote HD on iPad
    Adam A7X - Behritone C50A
    PreSonus Monitor Station v2 (controlling the mons)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/sonarusergroup/

CakeFan
    RE: OT: Softsynth version of Alesis Quadrasynth? 2009/05/13 22:48:34 (permalink)
    Sure!... I'm just looking for time to sit down and give it a try.
    ew
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1837
    RE: OT: Softsynth version of Alesis Quadrasynth? 2009/05/13 23:35:12 (permalink)
    There's the QuadraSynth Refill for Reason:

http://www.reasonbanks.com/refill_Quadra.html

There was also a third party soundset made for one of the early Wusikstation versions that was Quadrasynth samples, but I don't know if that's around anymore or not.

ew
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1