OT - System bogged down without an apparent virus

Author
mauryw
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 445
2008/11/28 17:28:32 (permalink)

OT - System bogged down without an apparent virus

My system was running great until yesterday. It started bogging down shortly after boot up. Programs slow in starting, screen re-fresh was very slow. I have no idea what is wrong or how to fix it. McAfee virus checker found nothing wrong. Sandra and device manager says everything is working properly. To be sure I back restored early ghosts of my OS partition, a version that I know was working fine. But, the computer still becomes sluggish, programs are labeld indicated as not responding. My OS is on a 5 year old IDE hard drive 7200 RPM 8 mb cache. But before yesterday there was no noticeable problem. My 4 CPUs are quiet and working less than 5% each. So, what is causing the slow down and how might I fix it??

Larry Williams

A process can not be understood by stopping it. One must flow with it and become one.

SONAR Platinum x64, WIN 7 Pro x64, i5-2500K, z68 mobo, 8 Gb RAM, Roland Quad-Capture, 2 SSds, 3 SATA HDDs

15 Replies Related Threads

CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: OT - System bogged down without an apparent virus 2008/11/28 17:47:12 (permalink)
    First off, i would do a disk clean and a couple defrags, yes a couple. If your using the windows defrag, then in my opinion a couple defrags are required to completetly defraga hard drive. If your using an outside program, trhen one defrag should do it.
    Since you reverted to an older working version and it still happens, seems to say it could be a defrag problem
    It started bogging down shortly after boot up. Programs slow in starting, screen re-fresh was very slow.

do you mean in other programs other than sonar??
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    JonD
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3617
    RE: OT - System bogged down without an apparent virus 2008/11/28 18:36:00 (permalink)
    Defrag won't make a difference if he went back to a ghosted image and still had the problem. Check the event log/viewer under System, see if there are any warnings or errors (could be your drive is dying).

If there aren't any warnings, do a reboot, enter setup, and choose "load default settings" or "load optimized". This will wipe any overclock settings. Save and reboot.

Edit: Finally, check to make sure your drives are DMA mode and not PIO (The previous step "should" correct this, but not if it detects something wrong with the drive).

JD

post edited by JonD - 2008/11/28 18:42:39

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
    Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: OT - System bogged down without an apparent virus 2008/11/28 18:38:34 (permalink)
    even though you restored an image, it still could get re-infected .e.g. if your using 2 drives or the thing is hiding in the boot sector etc..

if you scan , the best way is to use safe mode + system restore off as then it has no where to hide. that's up to you though as you'd lose restore points..

I don't use mcafee for a long time, but there is another thing mcafee do, mcafee stinger which is free..

http://vil.nai.com/VIL/stinger/

has a LOT of instructions about safe mode etc

it's try a scan in safe mode also with your normal AV.

also try running

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

registry scan / cleaner tab.

or maybe the drive itself is giving up the ghost and the bearings are going etc.. if your hearing a click or the drive is making a bit of noise, then it might be just age.

post edited by Fog - 2008/11/28 18:41:11
    Oaf_Topik
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2105
    RE: OT - System bogged down without an apparent virus 2008/11/28 18:52:37 (permalink)
    McAfee virus checker found nothing wrong

Last Christmas I was over at my brother's house. His computer was having similar problems. He also had McAfee installed on his machine, and it also didn't find anything. I told him to download AVG FREE, and sure enough it found a few different malicious items. AVG fixed the problems and all was well.
    alree
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 186
    RE: OT - System bogged down without an apparent virus 2008/11/28 19:02:06 (permalink)
    Download and run this - http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
    If any malware has found its way onto your PC this will find it and get rid of it.
    If it doesen't find anything then at least you'll be able to rule out malware.

slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    RE: OT - System bogged down without an apparent virus 2008/11/29 22:57:02 (permalink)
    The most likey source of noticeable slowing is disk access problems. Windows will default to PIO (very very slow) mode if it encounters a few consecutive read errors. http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/IDE-DMA.mspx
    Sandra should be abel to tell you how fast your disk access is going. In fact it should be able to detect slowing pretty much anywhere in your hardware if you know what you are looking for. It will generally not be able to tell you that everything is all right--it is not really designed as an error detector. Most well written viruses will not slow your computer down that much, unless they are accessing the internet and transferring huge amounts of data, or chewing up your hard drives.
    tparker24
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 544
    RE: OT - System bogged down without an apparent virus 2008/11/29 23:24:34 (permalink)
    Are you running Zone Alarm (firewall)? If so, perhaps it could be the culprit. Here's my experience:

My system slowed to a crawl yesterday. After checking for viruses and for hardware problems, I ran Task Manager which showed that a Zone Alarm component - vsmon.exe - was hogging the CPU. I don't believe I had made any related changes. I downloaded the latest version and tried to re-install, but it ran into problems, again with vsmon. I finally uninstalled it completely, and things went back to normal.

I switched to the built-in Microsoft firewall, which I've read is not very effective, but seems to be working ok.

I tried the Zone Alarm forum but couldn't find anything related.

- Tom
    mixmkr
    Max Output Level: -43.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3169
    RE: OT - System bogged down without an apparent virus 2008/11/30 00:22:19 (permalink)
    back up and re-format... after trying the above if no luck.

some tunes: --->        www.masonharwoodproject.bandcamp.com 
    StudioCat i7 4770k 3.5gHz, 16 RAM,  Sonar Platinum, CD Arch 5.2, Steinberg UR-44
    videos--->https://www.youtube.com/user/mixmkr

rpcomp
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 90
    RE: OT - System bogged down without an apparent virus 2008/11/30 06:17:07 (permalink)
    A couple of things come to mind. One your HD is on the way out. Easy to check. I use a free data transfer test program which I got off the net. It will test the data transfer and compare it with other well known drives. If the transfer rate is well down the HD is on it's last legs. I don't know how old your system is but if it's over a year old just take off the side cover and check that there is no build up of dust on the heat sink. A CPU which is getting too hot will exhibit the problems you are having. One final general note with regard to virus infections. Virus's attach themselves to files and some times these files are system files. No amount of scanning will detect these files as they are in use by the system and the AV program cannot access them. The only way to be 100% sure a drive is clean is to set it up in another system as a slave and then scan the drive. All files with exception of system restore files ( and a few others) are then available to be scanned. If you think you have an infected PC the first thing to do is switch off the system restore which in effect deletes the system restore files. Good Luck
    Frank Haas
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2490
    RE: OT - System bogged down without an apparent virus 2008/11/30 06:28:25 (permalink)
    My OS is on a 5 year old IDE hard drive 7200 RPM 8 mb cache

I'd guess it's a hardware problem..
    it's not necessary that mentioned HD but most likely..
    after 5 years I'd replace a Harddrive anyway..
    if you have S.M.A.R.T enabled in your bios (and the hd supports it) then you should see some kind of error-message when booting the machine..
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 11326
    RE: OT - System bogged down without an apparent virus 2008/11/30 07:10:46 (permalink)
    Check taskmanager to see what is resource hogging. Do this by starting task manager and click on the 'Processes' tab then click twice on the 'CPU' title which will bring the task using the CPU to the top.

If there is no task other than 'System Idle Process' using the CPU then as indicated it's probably HD orientated although sometimes some USB kit plugged in will slow a system to a crawl. I've certainly known clients USB printers to cause such problems. Try unplugging things one at a time to see if there's a culprit there.

Visit your HD manufaturer's website then download and run their HD diagnostic software to find a HD problem if any. They either have problems or they don't, I've had drives go down after a few months and likewise I have a couple of drives in my system that are pushing for 10 years old and still serve their purpose.

If you want to get a bit more in depth google for and download Hijackthis then run it and save a logfile. You'll be able to see exactly what's running and any malicious activity such as startup changes, etc. will also show here. You'll find various websites where you can post the logs and get help if the log is meaningless to you. Don't just go deleting processes you don't recognise though unless you know what you're doing.
    aj
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1084
    RE: OT - System bogged down without an apparent virus 2008/11/30 07:25:57 (permalink)
    Another subtle to thing to check is to add the column 'GDI objects' and sort by that descending in task manager. I had a Belkin bluetooth adaptor where the software had a GDI resource leak. After a few days of running windows stopped painting properly and the whole system ground to a halt. (as a general aside, Belkin software is truly horrible....).
    jackn2mpu
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2765
    RE: OT - System bogged down without an apparent virus 2008/11/30 07:45:20 (permalink)
    I wouldn't use McCaffee on a bet. Had it on a computer a few years back and it actually trashed the hard drive's contents. There's better out there.

Jack
    Qapla!
    mauryw
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 445
    RE: OT - System bogged down without an apparent virus 2008/11/30 10:00:55 (permalink)
    Thank you all for your advice. I ran the malware and cccleaner and the extra virus checker, but turned up nothing (that's a good thing). Finally ran the Seagate HD diagnostic and my IDE OS HD failed. It still seems to struggle along, but I hear it pretty much running continuously. So, I ordered a new SATA. I am backing up all partitions and should make an easy transfer when the new drive arrives. Thanks again to all.

Larry Williams

A process can not be understood by stopping it. One must flow with it and become one.

SONAR Platinum x64, WIN 7 Pro x64, i5-2500K, z68 mobo, 8 Gb RAM, Roland Quad-Capture, 2 SSds, 3 SATA HDDs
    Frank Haas
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2490
    RE: OT - System bogged down without an apparent virus 2008/11/30 10:56:49 (permalink)
    my advice would be to get a ~80GB sata hd for os.. no partitions..
    it's just more flexibel.. if it crashes..virus..whatever.. you just change it for a new one.. (without any data loss)
    as you already have a backup-software running.. recovering your system will be even more easy for you..
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1