OT - Toft Boards? Any one with experience?

Author
space_cowboy
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9813
2008/09/22 11:31:12 (permalink)

OT - Toft Boards? Any one with experience?

Hi
I have been thinking about replacing my D8B with a Toft console. I guess I would also need to replace my DIGI 9652 since it uses the convertors in my D8B.

Any experience with the Toft? It is based on the Trident consoles, if memory serves me right. I have played with one briefly here in Houston at GC - in for special order for someone, but I have a few friends at GC here. But it is not enough time to tell.

FWIW, I frequently record 16 or more tracks simultaneously (8 on drums). Having a dedicated mixer is a necessity for me.

I am interested in
EQ
Reliability
Flexibility
Sound

THanks for any advice.

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!

7 Replies Related Threads

j boy
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2729
    RE: OT - Toft Boards? Any one with experience? 2008/09/22 11:42:13 (permalink)
    I have some Toft outboard gear, the AFC-2 and the EC-1. I'm very happy with the sound and features, and the price was right. There are probably more Toft mixer users over at gearslutz... I'd do a search over there and you'll come up with lots of feedback.
    WDI
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2069
    RE: OT - Toft Boards? Any one with experience? 2008/09/22 11:43:06 (permalink)
    I am interested in
    EQ
    Reliability
    Flexibility
    Sound

You don't get that with the D8B? I don't know anything about the D8B.

Sonar 7 PE
    Windows XP Pofessional (SP3)
    MSI K8N Neo4-F
    AMD Athlon 64 3500+
    2 GB PC 3200 Ram
    RME Fireface 800
    Edirol FA-66
    CM Labs MotorMix

Old stuff: ARJO
    space_cowboy
    RE: OT - Toft Boards? Any one with experience? 2008/09/22 11:59:16 (permalink)
    Guy with the evil Mr Potato Head
    The D8B is digital. It does not really have a sound to it. I rarely use the mic-pres except on drums. I dont use its eq, using my UAD stuff instead.

But it is nice mixing on a real board instead of inside the box.

J Boy
    I will look at Gear Loose Girls

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    Psychobillybob
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 882
    RE: OT - Toft Boards? Any one with experience? 2008/09/22 12:31:18 (permalink)
    The first run of Toft boards had some issues, I have a friend in LA that got one of the first ones, and the knobs fell off...stupid manf. issues, that have since been resolved, beyond that they are top shelf, great analog boards.

Nice eq's solid design.

What I've heard impressed me, and I'm an analog snob.

I'm using SOnar Platinium on a 6 core Lynx Audio machine and a ton of vintage pre-amps/eq's/comps I build for fun and sometimes money, REDD.47/API/Neve I also use the UAD stuff, and also use a Macbook Logic 9 through Apogee...
    space_cowboy
    RE: OT - Toft Boards? Any one with experience? 2008/09/22 12:32:41 (permalink)
    Thanks PBB. I played around briefly with the first batch and heard that there were recalls over stupid things like that. It is just hard to get a view from GC as to how one really functions.

rosabelle
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 261
    RE: OT - Toft Boards? Any one with experience? 2008/09/22 15:41:25 (permalink)
    Well, no, I don't have any personal experience with a Toft, but here's a fairly deep review of the ATB24. Including an outline of some of the more curious choices they made in the design.
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    RE: OT - Toft Boards? Any one with experience? 2008/09/23 09:18:00 (permalink)
    One thing I don't understand about the popular reception to the new Toft boards is that they are a return to card based channel strip construction... which was the bane of that era.

The design of planar "motherboard" style mixers ala Mackie revolutionized and massively improved the quality we could expect at any price point.

Obviously the great sounding full on consoles that we associate with hit records use discrete circuits on card strip assemblies... but the owners usually service a budget to keep those boards maintained... which usually is a routine RnR and contact cleaning of the card connectors.

Having said that, I think the TOFT console concept is ridiculous and an example of the worst aspect of the retro "vintage" market.

A quick survey of user comments will reveal that the TOFT consoles have not been delivered with the quality standards we associate with M.I. grade gear... yet it's priced as semi pro gear.

Criticisms include... poor assembly, inconsistent quality of sound from channel to channel, and a generally smudgy sounding midrange.

best regards,
    mike
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1