OT: Windows XP Activation Code Question

Author
Steve Mac
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 730
2006/12/17 20:46:51 (permalink)

OT: Windows XP Activation Code Question

Greetings:

I built a new computer and partitioned the HD so that there are two OS partitions, one for Windows XP and the other for loading demo software (so as not to introduce stray DLL files, etc. into the OS).

Anyway, I never got around to using the Demo partition until now, long past the 30 day deadline, so the computer is asking me to activate XP in that partition.

Where in Windows (on the original/first partition) can I find the activation code?

Thanks,

Steve McNamara ~~ SignatureTunes Studios~~SoundClick

7 Replies Related Threads

stratman70
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3044
    RE: OT: Windows XP Activation Code Question 2006/12/17 20:55:17 (permalink)
    Their is only an activation code if you "activated it by phone the first time". It's a zillion characters also. You probably activated over the web like most people do. You need to call M$.
    You can try activating over the internet. It may go through.

Steve Mac
    RE: OT: Windows XP Activation Code Question 2006/12/17 21:08:27 (permalink)
    Their is only an activation code if you "activated it by phone the first time".

I did activate over the phone, because my studio computer is not connected to the Internet.

Any idea where to find the Code?

Thanks,

bthompson
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 227
    RE: OT: Windows XP Activation Code Question 2006/12/17 21:19:46 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Steve Mac
    Where in Windows (on the original/first partition) can I find the activation code?

If its just a different partition on the same system, find the two files "wpa.dbl" and "wpa.bak" in the \windows\system32 folder. Copy them to the same folder on the second partition and Windows should be activated.

You'll have to bring up the second partition in safe mode to copy the files into it.

This will *not* work if you move the Windows install to a different machine.

--Bill
    post edited by bthompson - 2006/12/17 21:40:14
    Steve Mac
    RE: OT: Windows XP Activation Code Question 2006/12/17 22:06:34 (permalink)
    If its just a different partition on the same system, find the two files "wpa.dbl" and "wpa.bak" in the \windows\system32 folder. Copy them to the same folder on the second partition and Windows should be activated.

You'll have to bring up the second partition in safe mode to copy the files into it.

This will *not* work if you move the Windows install to a different machine.

--Bill

Thanks, Bill. This is exactly what I needed, though I'll have to think for a minute about starting the second partition in safe mode; haven't had to do that in a while. But I'm sure I'll figure out.

Thanks again,

Antler
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 487
    RE: OT: Windows XP Activation Code Question 2006/12/18 07:30:44 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Steve Mac
    Thanks, Bill. This is exactly what I needed, though I'll have to think for a minute about starting the second partition in safe mode; haven't had to do that in a while. But I'm sure I'll figure out.

Hold down F5 (err... or maybe it's F8) after the beep at boot-up. Select Safe Mode.

Having said that, it shouldn't be necessary to boot into safe mode. If both partitions are on the same drive, you should be able to see both of them in Explorer on your 'work' partition.
    Mike Fisher
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1374
    RE: OT: Windows XP Activation Code Question 2006/12/18 08:13:22 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Antler

Hold down F5 (err... or maybe it's F8) after the beep at boot-up. Select Safe Mode.

It's F8. There's a certain time it needs to be hit during bootup. I tap the F8 key every few seconds (short stroke-not a hold) during bootup until the screen appears offering multiple bootup choices.
    syrath
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4075
    RE: OT: Windows XP Activation Code Question 2006/12/18 08:21:11 (permalink)
    Or alternatively you can just phone up MS again and pass the numbers back and forth until its activated. Its an automated voice thing so you probably wont even need to talk to anyone.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1