OT, anybody know anything about IDE channels?

Author
yorolpal
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13829
2008/12/04 19:11:44 (permalink)

OT, anybody know anything about IDE channels?

I recently got a new dual layer DVD burner (in order to load Omnisphere). It reads fine but I didn't have an occasion to burn out to it until recently. In short, it won't. Period. The tech support guy from LG and I troubleshot it until he gave up and said we'll just send you another one. Which they did. Which exhibited the exact same behaviour. Which meant I was bumped up to a new tech guy. We discovered some unusual anomalies in my ATAPI controller list in the device manager as in it's showing I have 4 primary IDE channels and 4 secondary IDE channels and 2 each of a couple of proprietary Intel IDE channels. He says that's too many. I should just have one each. Also in the channel properties details it shows current transfer mode (which should be Ultra DMA) as "not applicable" on all of them. Hence, no burn. I just about reached my level of knowledge about such things and so, as usual, am casting my bread upon the forum waters to see what any of you can contribute. Also since I'm blueskying here, ever since I installed a new video card (which works fine) I'm still showing another VGA controller with the dreaded yellow question mark in the "Other" tab of the device manager. If I uninstall it, it just reinstalls itself the next time I boot up. I've just disabled it and it causes no problems except for the bright yellow thingy. Heck, if there are any gastroenterologists using Sonar, I've got a constant, unpleasant "fizzy" feeling just below my left nipple and for any theoretical physicists out there...can entropy be reversed?
post edited by yorolpal - 2008/12/04 19:20:42

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.

6 Replies Related Threads

bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    RE: OT, anybody know anything about IDE channels? 2008/12/04 19:25:08 (permalink)
    I'm still showing another VGA controller

Does your mobo have onbaord video? That may be the reason for this. If you do, try disabling onboard video in the BIOS.
    ew
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1837
    RE: OT, anybody know anything about IDE channels? 2008/12/04 19:33:47 (permalink)
    Your tech is wrong. Your SATA channels will show up as IDE channels as well. If your mainboard is like mine (six SATA connectors and one IDE), you'll see four IDE primaries and four IDE secondaries. You'll also have a controller listed for each. The proprietary IDE channels I'll bet's for external SATA drives.

With your old IDE boards, you'd also have two primaries and two secondaries listed.

ew
    post edited by ew - 2008/12/04 19:36:31
    Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: OT, anybody know anything about IDE channels? 2008/12/04 19:42:58 (permalink)
    ok.. IDE you have 2 devices per chain normally. master / slave... when you put in the new one, was it replacing the old one or in addition to?

if it was replacing it , it should just be a case of having the same jumper settings for the old / new drive.. I think if I recall they normally come setup as slave.. haven't installed one in a while.

as for the graphic card.. if your not using your old one you can disable it in the bios , like Ed has said as it might be wanting to take an extra IRQ.. and share.. you can see what's sharing and not in the resources , off device manager if you view by IRQ. (I have to disable networking or else it interferes with timing)

are you using a specific package for burning, some will say to turn DMA on if it isn't already. The first thing is to see how it picks it up in the bios in the standard setup, a lot of machines are just setup to auto detect.. that will give you the correct figure of IDE / sata ports, regardless of what windows said.

personally I would remove the new graphic card... take a screen shot of the IRQ's and see what changes after you add the card..

but get the dvd drive working first, or try it without the new card installed. See how it reacts to writing, if thats what your having the issue with.

edit :

if you post the make / model of the mobo (use CPU-Z to find out) then it would probably be easier

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

edit again b4 I go :

try running the registry tab of this

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

when it asks you do you want to backup ya registry say yes.. but it's never messed up on me yet.. not the point though.. might find some odd entries in your rego to fix.. rescan until zero or near zero.. reboot.. see if that helps
    post edited by Fog - 2008/12/04 19:57:56
    slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    RE: OT, anybody know anything about IDE channels? 2008/12/05 03:43:42 (permalink)
    SATA appears to software to be identical to ATA/IDE. So if you have both IDE and SATA connectors you will have multiple copies of Primary and possibly Secondary IDE controllers in Device manager. I doubt this is what is causing your problem. Check your master/slave/CS jumper settings--if you added the DVD then it is possible that it is not set to work compatibly with another drive on the cable (or with the plug on the cable to which it is attached. http://www.pchell.com/hardware/masterslaveorcableselect.shtml
    Some useful tips here: PATA_Troubleshooter
    bvideo
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1707
    RE: OT, anybody know anything about IDE channels? 2008/12/05 09:08:51 (permalink)
    One more thing about the DMA: it will say "not applicable" for all the channels that have no devices. Once you figure out which channel your DVD drive is on (the diagram of the motherboard manual might help with that) and whether it is master or slave, look at the properties for that particular IDE channel.

Also, what program are you using to try to burn?

Bill B
    slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    RE: OT, anybody know anything about IDE channels? 2008/12/05 12:53:06 (permalink)
    Without opening the box, you can find out where your DVD is being addressed by the OS by looking in Device Manager. At the top of the device manager window, click view and select "devices by connection." Then expand (click the plus next to) the system, expand the pci bus and you should find the IDE controllers, which when expanded will show you the devices they serve.

ORIGINAL: bvideo

One more thing about the DMA: it will say "not applicable" for all the channels that have no devices. Once you figure out which channel your DVD drive is on (the diagram of the motherboard manual might help with that) and whether it is master or slave, look at the properties for that particular IDE channel.

Also, what program are you using to try to burn?

Bill B

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1