OT: anyone own a microkontrol?

Author
fingersmith
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 32
2005/10/11 06:57:28 (permalink)

OT: anyone own a microkontrol?

And is it good with P5?
I bought a UF5 from CME for the sake of a good number of keys and good functionality for cheap, but didn't really consider the practicalities of a larger keyboard with no decent place to set it up with my laptop, I feel less inclined to get to work when it's such a hassle to make space and set up.
So my question is will a microkontrol be the perfect partner for my laptop, and how big are the keys actually?
I have a few more questions if someone does own one.
post edited by fingersmith - 2005/10/11 07:06:12

4 Replies Related Threads

triscuit
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1860
    RE: OT: anyone own a microkontrol? 2005/10/11 15:25:30 (permalink)
    I have a microKontrol.

Pro's
    It works fine with P5
    Nice sturdy caseing very portable.
    I like the feel of the sliders.
    I never use the pads but I am planning on it someday.

Con's-
    The keys are way too small to play.(my hand is bigh though. I'm about 6'1'')
    The knobs aren't weighted. But what knobs are.
    I don't like the joystick. But it's there if your into that kind of thing.

Sum-

I like my Korg MicroKontrol and it makes a nice compliment to my M-Audio 88es because I can set up both on the same stand. It's very portible and goes up and back with me to colledge. I actually considered buying the keyboard you have. Does it not work? Does it have 88 keys? I'll trade you! Haha just kidding. I'm actually enjoying the setup I have with my M-audio 88es even though it does not have hammer action.
    fingersmith
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: OT: anyone own a microkontrol? 2005/10/11 18:28:49 (permalink)
    Thanks triscuit, wondering if you can do me a favour if you have a ruler could you measure a key? It would help me to figure out if I could cope with it, I'm smaller than you so smaller hands, but I played the piano for years so maybe I couldn't cope with them.
    The UF5 is fine(49 keys) but I don't have somewhere I can set it up with easy access to mess around with both keyboard and laptop.
    triscuit
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1860
    RE: OT: anyone own a microkontrol? 2005/10/11 19:53:51 (permalink)
    Hmmmmmmmm....... I really can't find ruler. I really don't think I own one. If I find one I'll post the actual dimensions.
    For now the length of the keys are literally half the size of my M-Audio es88 keys (which has about full size keys. Maybe a little under). The width of the keys is about 3/4ths the size of my M-Audio which doesn't sound too bad but trust me when you see this thing you'll be like:
    "Wow those really are small keys." At least that was my reaction. I know that if you don't want it anymore you can sell it at a decent price. On EBay they go for around $150-200. I was thinking of selling mine but I really couldn't find a keyboard in my price range even with selling it. I learned on a real piano and I wanted 88 keys. I think you’re in a pinch because you have a 49 key keyboard. I hate 49 key keyboards. I end up switching around octaves which drops my productivity down a notch.

I hope that helps. Again if I find a ruler I'll actually measure the keys. The micro kontrol is nice if you want it just for the pads and sliders but I wouldn’t plan on playing much in. I know Cloud Walker recently bought a nice small keyboard and I can't remember the name. It had semi-weighted keys and I think that might be more what your looking for. I don't think it had sliders though which would be a big drawback for me.

I think this is the controller that he bought.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--ALEPHOTONX25

It has a Audio interface so you don't have to lug around a soundcard.
    MurderDethKill
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1904
    RE: OT: anyone own a microkontrol? 2005/10/11 21:10:30 (permalink)
    * throw in my 2 cents worth...
    I use the Korg Kontrol49 which has the same feature set as the microkontrol, but plays a little bit better isofar as the keys go...
    *My Baby*

My site i guess;)
    Monstruousubergeekyhardcorefunkytrancepolkaoptimism Lives!!!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1