OT: info on processes in WinXP

Author
VariousArtist
Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1397
2005/08/10 12:18:29 (permalink)

OT: info on processes in WinXP

Off-topic, but relevant to understanding more about the system that is running your Sonar software...

Most of us are already familiar with the Windows Task Manager. It's useful for seeing what processes are running and diagnosing potential conflicts when using your system as a DAW -- but it falls short in many ways, such as the location of the programs for those processes and any background information on those processes, etc.

There are a couple of useful tools in this regards and, rather surprisingly, one of them is part of Microsoft's free download "AntiSpyware (beta)". The other is a third party utility called WinTasks.

WinTasks shows the most complete information about the processes and it makes you wonder why Microsoft doesn't offer this information within its built in Windows Task Manager. However, there is some hope if their AntiSpyware utility is anything to go by. Not only does it seem like a pretty decent utility for the advertised task, it also has an option to view more detailed information about the processes that are running on your system. Not as comprehensive as the other WinTasks but a step in the right direction.

Anyway, I thought some of you might find this interesting. I know there are a bunch of utilities out there, plus more "hidden stuff" within Windows, so feel free to add anything in this area...

5 Replies Related Threads

wogg
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1819
    RE: OT: info on processes in WinXP 2005/08/10 12:40:41 (permalink)
    I've found that only 2 searches are ever necessary...
    1 - search the HDD for the exe file name to get it's location
    2 - search Google for the exe file name to get details

Homepage:
    The World of Wogg

VariousArtist
    RE: OT: info on processes in WinXP 2005/08/10 12:51:09 (permalink)
    Hello wogg

Yes, that's what I usually do too. Still, it's handy to have this at your fingertips in an app like especially if you're running on a system NOT connected to the net.

There's also a veiled and gentle rant in my post that this kind of information is not present where it ought to be. Windows comes with so much more than an OS, and it's surprising how hard they make it to get the information about the running of the OS itself.
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    RE: OT: info on processes in WinXP 2005/08/10 12:55:48 (permalink)
    Is this what you are looking for
    http://www.processlibrary.com/
    ?
    VariousArtist
    RE: OT: info on processes in WinXP 2005/08/10 13:07:25 (permalink)
    Is this what you are looking for
    http://www.processlibrary.com/

I think that link is the one I had come across that led me to WinTasks -- or at least something like it -- that I had found the "Google Search" route (as also suggested by wogg above).

If you select one of the processes in the list at the "processlibrary.com" site (say abcdefg.exe), you'll notice that it has a corresponding link that says:
    "Use WinTasks 5 Pro to Block/Remove abcdefg.exe"

Thanks for posting the link because it's a good starting place for others too... :-)
    wogg
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1819
    RE: OT: info on processes in WinXP 2005/08/10 13:21:46 (permalink)
    Windows comes with so much more than an OS, and it's surprising how hard they make it to get the information about the running of the OS itself.

I hear you there. From MS perspective though, their inner workings are proprietary and they really have no obligation to disclose details. But users like us who want to know and perhaps know a bit about open source software will eventually get them to improve.

Good info really.

Homepage:
    The World of Wogg

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1