Helpful ReplyOT (kind of): Has anyone used Snagit (Camtasia's little bro) for video screen capture?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Beepster
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18001
2014/07/26 10:23:00 (permalink)

OT (kind of): Has anyone used Snagit (Camtasia's little bro) for video screen capture?

Hello and sorry for the OT question but it is related to my continuing adventures with Sonar and digital audio in general. I have been extraordinarily jealous of you fancy dudes and dudettes with your magical abilities to make videos of what you are doing in Sonar. I have seen over and over again that Camtasia was the program to have for this typo of thing and that many of you (especially the Bakers) use it. I was also mistakenly under the impression that it was only $99 but much to my chagrin found out that that is the Mac version price and the Win version is a whopping $300 that I simply cannot justify spending. I looked at variously other freeware/open source screen cap programs but by all accounts they are inevitably buggy, crippled and/or filled with spyware.

So as I was mourning my shattered hopes of owning Camtasia I saw that the same company produces a light version called Snagit that SAYS it does video screen capture stuff and has a few extra tools.

The question(s) is/are... Have any of you guys used it? Is it powerful/flexible enough to make looooong video tutorials/examples? Does it record audio simultaneously and if not how difficult is it to splice in audio (or how hard would it be to drag the vid into Sonar X3 and splice in the audio there)? Does it allow for light editing (like splicing clips together)? Does it allow for simple graphic stuff like overlaying text (like credits or subtitles)?

Alternatively I'm curious as to what other programs people are using and how they are getting along with them and/or prices.

I want to join the fancy video tut club!!! ;-)

Thanks and have an awesome day.
fb.seeker
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 113
Re: OT (kind of): Has anyone used Snagit (Camtasia's little bro) for video screen capture? 2014/07/26 11:01:53 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Beepster 2014/07/26 11:42:50
Beepster,

I have been very happy with Movavi Studio Capture.
http://www.movavi.com/screen-capture/?gclid=CKnVvM6d478CFQgKaQodhkMA-Q
Its about $50 with some kind of $6 charge when ordering.
Good HD quality.  Capture of anything you can see and hear on your screen.
There is video editor.. eh...OK I guess.  But the capture app is excellent with many format exports.
Also pretty easy to use.
Free trial period, but distorted here and there.

Disclaimer....only contented user....excellent capture especially for the price.

FrankB "Our Home is Over the Next Hill" Johnny Cash http://www.youtube.com/user/fbseeker?feature=guide
FCCfirstclass
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 969
Re: OT (kind of): Has anyone used Snagit (Camtasia's little bro) for video screen capture? 2014/07/26 11:03:41 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Beepster 2014/07/26 11:43:01
Hey Beep,
 I have used SnagIt since 2003.  It is a great program for getting any kind of screen grabs, one pic or a scrolling screen.  They just released V 12 with a good video grab program, but not with all the goodies that Camtasia has.

The grabs can be saved in any number of formats, including SNAG, which allows you to completely edit the screen, install words, arrows gab boxes, etc.
I use it everyday.
I believe that a demo version is available.  Hope this helps.

You might look at Sony's Vegas Movie Studio in a few different flavors.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/homestudio

Win 10 Pro x64, 32Gb DDR3 ram, Sonar Platinum, Cubase 9.5, Mackie MCU Pro, Cakewalk VS 100, Roland Octa-Capture,  A 800 Pro, Carver M-1.5t amp & C4000 pre amp, various mics, drums and brass instruments.

And away we go!
Beepster
Re: OT (kind of): Has anyone used Snagit (Camtasia's little bro) for video screen capture? 2014/07/26 11:11:44 (permalink)
Thanks for the input, guys.

In regards to Sony Vegas... That is another name I see come up frequently but I thought it was for more traditional video purposes. Does it do computer screen grabs as well? Because that would be good... very good. I'm under the impression that it is has more editing power than some of the alternatives which would be helpful.

Thanks, again. Cheers.
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: OT (kind of): Has anyone used Snagit (Camtasia's little bro) for video screen capture? 2014/07/26 11:34:23 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Beepster 2014/07/26 11:43:10
I did all the Sonar Advanced Workshop videos with Hypercam, and it's free (I also used the Techsmith codec, which seemed to work best). It's not particularly user-friendly, but it's a workhorse.

Vegas does not do screen captures, although it it a great program. It's what I used to edit the Advanced Workshop videos.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: OT (kind of): Has anyone used Snagit (Camtasia's little bro) for video screen capture? 2014/07/26 11:36:15 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Beepster 2014/07/26 11:43:16
Beepster
I was also mistakenly under the impression that it was only $99 but much to my chagrin found out that that is the Mac version price

The Mac's Preview program already does screen video captures, so there's less incentive to buy a third party program unless you need its unique features.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Beepster
Re: OT (kind of): Has anyone used Snagit (Camtasia's little bro) for video screen capture? 2014/07/26 11:45:03 (permalink)
Thanks for popping in, Craig. I am looking to achieve (and dare I dream exceed) the same professional quality of your work so that is astoundingly helpful. I don't mind doing a little extra study/work if it helps me redirect funds to other imperative purchases.

I will also need something to edit live action video as well but I'm assuming tracking down software for that at low cost should be easier and I do have an old version of Premiere kicking around here that may or may not be up to the task.

I am also somewhat curious about potential conflicts between programs that seem to occur when recording audio at the same time as video (ie: playback from Sonar and something like Camtasia running as well). I have seen it mentioned that using a virtual machine setup and running the screen capture program within it can be helpful in this regard. Any thoughts? I am looking into the Oracle virtual machine app that is supposedly free but honestly I'm not quite sure how all that would fit together.

Lots of stuff to learn, test and acquire now that some of my shackles have been loosened a bit. :-)
bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: OT (kind of): Has anyone used Snagit (Camtasia's little bro) for video screen capture? 2014/07/26 12:18:33 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Beepster 2014/07/26 12:27:38
FCCfirstclass
Hey Beep,
 I have used SnagIt since 2003.  It is a great program for getting any kind of screen grabs, one pic or a scrolling screen.  They just released V 12 with a good video grab program, but not with all the goodies that Camtasia has.

+1
ShellstaX
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 502
Re: OT (kind of): Has anyone used Snagit (Camtasia's little bro) for video screen capture? 2014/07/26 12:36:20 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Beepster 2014/07/26 12:41:02

I've used SnagIt for static screen capture not video capture. I wasn't aware it did video capture, but do know it has developed a lot over the years.

Here's my very inexpensive, but quality solution (Full HD, Low Latency, Live DAW playback, Commentary, PiP webcam) ...

I use Microsoft Expression Encoder 4 SP2. From memory I think it includes the Screen Capture Codec, otherwise download here. Don't worry about things you might see/read about 10 minute record limits - restrictions were removed with SP2. You can also record a Picture in Picture webcam. Basic cuts/edits/media inserts. Price - FREE.

When recording a DAW, with it's audio in/outs redirected, live commentary/playback is often not picked up by screen recording software. I get around this with Voicemeeter. This is a very versatile piece of software (Virtual Mixer) and allows low latency through continued use of ASIO. They also have other virtual cables which you might find a use for. Price - Donationware - flick'em $20 if you find it useful and continue to use it.

... and you can use Handbrake to transcode to various formats. Price - FREE.

[Update]: Just a quick update on editing.
I actually use the software that came with a piece of kit of I've got (Roxio Game Capture HD Pro).
Your copy of Premiere is likely suitable for the task. (Hmmm, then again, modern formats/codecs(?)).
Other free offerings include:
- Windows Movie Maker - (part of the Essentials Suite, recognise other bits you may be installing - Photo Gallery, OneDrive, Family Safety, Mail, Writer)
- Lightworks - (720p max output for Free. Check out the linked comparison of Free vs Pro - from all accounts Free is capable)

[Update]
I wouldn't have thought a virtual machine environment would be 'necessary' for this (unless you were generally looking at that route for other purposes).
Also - I suggest Oracle Virtual Machine is more business oriented vs Oracle Virtualbox.
VMware Player would be another candidate.
post edited by ShellstaX - 2014/07/26 18:16:25
Kev999
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3922
Re: OT (kind of): Has anyone used Snagit (Camtasia's little bro) for video screen capture? 2014/07/27 05:23:18 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Beepster 2014/07/27 14:01:31
I've been using SnagIt for years and it's great. Unfortunately I've never upgraded it and I'm still on version 6, which dates from 2003, so I can't really comment on whether the current version does what you require.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
Having fun at work lately
Blades
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3246
Re: OT (kind of): Has anyone used Snagit (Camtasia's little bro) for video screen capture? 2014/07/27 08:16:07 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Beepster 2014/07/27 14:01:23
For short videos, you can use the free Jing from the same company as Camtasia, Techsmith.  Camtasia IS a pretty decent program, but agree that it's overly expensive, especially if you are not using it in a professional capacity, and just to produce helpful videos here.  Since I have training as one of the parts of my IT Support/Web Design company (http://technicalrs.com), I am fortunate to need this software there, so the expense makes sense.  But I still use Jing surprisingly often for how fast it is to record something and instantly share it without any complexity at all.  Shame you are limited to 5 minutes, but carefully planned, that may be enough to get your point across.

As for running at the same time as Sonar and doing both together, it can be a little bit difficult in some circumstances.  If you are trying to capture audio being recorded and played back through your normal Sonar sound card, you may have to fiddle around with drivers and/or cables for a bit to get it all right so that you don't have any feedback loops and that you can do both at the same time (i.e. not having to worry about driver sharing).  In my case, I setup a separate output on my Layla 3G to back into my on-board sound card, so I use the Layla for Sonar, then control the output of that to the "soundblaster-clone" for the Camtasia side of things.  It works, but can be a bit of a pain to setup the first time 9and subsequent times if you don't record a lot - you'll be reinventing it many times).

Hope that all helps.

Blades
www.blades.technology  - Technology Info and Tutorials for Music and Web
Beepster
Re: OT (kind of): Has anyone used Snagit (Camtasia's little bro) for video screen capture? 2014/07/27 13:59:21 (permalink)
Hi, guys. Still watching this thread but spazzing around the apartment/intertubes today dealing with stuff. Just stopping back to thank everyone for the extremely useful suggestions. I look at all options/suggestions. I've been slacking off lately in regards to replies though which I always seem to make unnecessarily lengthy and I've been frying some unusually large fish which this post is directly related to. I'm also a little concerned that I may not be able to post here without calling Cakewalk due to the new Single Account weirdness that is tripping me up so just know every single post has been helpful and I've tagged them as such. I'll be back with some comments/questions as the day allows. Cheers.

Also... hello, Mr. Bapu. You stay awesome and weird. We're all counting on you. ;-)
mixmkr
Max Output Level: -43.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3169
Re: OT (kind of): Has anyone used Snagit (Camtasia's little bro) for video screen capture? 2014/07/27 14:32:29 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Beepster 2014/07/27 14:49:27
I looked at the stuff you mentioned last winter, for the videos I'm doing.  I ended up getting Bandicam for about $40 and Sony Movie Studio Platinum, which is the light version of Vegas, for about $100.  I also use Handbrake to convert the files, which mentioned above also, is free.  Handbrake is invaluable for compressing, when uploading to YouTube or similar.
All the software has been working great but I notice a slight color change in Bandicam captures.  It does great with the HD resolution and since I'm mostly doing Sonar screen captures, the slight color difference isn't really an issue.  I've also used Bandicam to just capture the audio on videos, which is quick and easy to do. 
After getting everything set with the formats, resolutions, etc. ...it's been working like a champ.

BTW, unless you're REALLY getting into video compilation, Sony Studio seems to be about 90% of Sony Vegas...  kind of like Photoshop elements is to the full blown photoshop.  That last 10% I probably won't ever use or currently have the knowledge to use as well.

some tunes: --->        www.masonharwoodproject.bandcamp.com 
StudioCat i7 4770k 3.5gHz, 16 RAM,  Sonar Platinum, CD Arch 5.2, Steinberg UR-44
videos--->https://www.youtube.com/user/mixmkr

Beepster
Re: OT (kind of): Has anyone used Snagit (Camtasia's little bro) for video screen capture? 2014/07/27 14:55:23 (permalink)
I'm starting to scratchpad a starter plan as to how to approach this so I can experiment and learn the ins and outs of it all before committing to anything specific as I would hate to make a mistake that involves money.

The Jing suggestion intrigues me despite the 5 minute limitation because although I do anticipate needing to record longer videos than that as I cut my teeth and learn about video files, audio routing and more external concepts (like writing scripts as to what I want to say and the like). It would also force me to learn how to splice clips together. I need to dig up that copy of Premiere I have laying around but I also learned this morning that Premiere 2.0 is supposedly available for free download and I could use that for editing. I would however need some kind of conversion software to compress the files because apparently that version doesn't have the new codecs (or whatever it's called) and I would run out of hard disk space very quickly.

As far as audio I guess I can over dub most things and splice it all in in an editor later. Like script/time everything out as I create the vid then do all the talking after the fact from a script sheet and then synch that up in premiere/Sonar. Then in the meantime I can sort out quality live audio while recording the vid for things like tweaking effects and the like.

Complicated stuff but for now I'd better just start testing otu programs and poking around at what they all do. Goodness me... I'm stepping into a whole other world of complexity aren't I? lulz
Metalbat
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 48
Re: OT (kind of): Has anyone used Snagit (Camtasia's little bro) for video screen capture? 2014/07/27 15:41:26 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Beepster 2014/07/27 17:37:05
Try this - http://www.screencast-o-matic.com/   $15/year or a free version.

Windows 8.1 64 BIT, Intel Q6600, 4 GIG RAM, Sonar X3 Producer 64 BIT,  Edirol FA-101 Firewire, PCR-800, V-Studio 20
Blades
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3246
Re: OT (kind of): Has anyone used Snagit (Camtasia's little bro) for video screen capture? 2014/07/27 21:06:22 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Beepster 2014/07/28 08:58:55
Note: With Jing, there is no editor built in, so unless you want to use an external program to do it, Jing won't do ll you need.  Like I said, it's great for quick videos with no editing required.  The Camtasia editor is pretty decent, though it's no Adobe Premier, it does well for the purpose of screencast videos.

Blades
www.blades.technology  - Technology Info and Tutorials for Music and Web
Splat
  • Total Posts : 8672
Re: OT (kind of): Has anyone used Snagit (Camtasia's little bro) for video screen capture? 2014/07/27 21:22:15 (permalink)

Sell by date at 9000 posts. Do not feed.
@48/24 & 128 buffers latency is 367 with offset of 38.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
Splat
Re: OT (kind of): Has anyone used Snagit (Camtasia's little bro) for video screen capture? 2014/07/27 21:22:19 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Beepster 2014/07/28 08:59:05

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
mixmkr
Re: OT (kind of): Has anyone used Snagit (Camtasia's little bro) for video screen capture? 2014/07/27 21:34:43 (permalink)
CakeAlexS
Nvidia cards only...
http://www.geforce.co.uk/...-experience/shadowplay

not sure what you're trying to convey...but see what Sony has to say about what cards can be utilized with their software.  HUGE discussions and I think the verdict is still out for version 13 on both Vegas and Movie Studio.  IOW, they don't have a recommended card(s) yet listed on their specs, like they have on previous versions. 

StudioCat i7 4770k 3.5gHz, 16 RAM,  Sonar Platinum, CD Arch 5.2, Steinberg UR-44

S.L.I.P.
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 949
Re: OT (kind of): Has anyone used Snagit (Camtasia's little bro) for video screen capture? 2014/07/27 22:13:58 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Beepster 2014/07/28 08:59:30
Splat
Re: OT (kind of): Has anyone used Snagit (Camtasia's little bro) for video screen capture? 2014/07/27 22:17:34 (permalink)
mixmkr
CakeAlexS
Nvidia cards only...
http://www.geforce.co.uk/...-experience/shadowplay

not sure what you're trying to convey...but see what Sony has to say about what cards can be utilized with their software.  HUGE discussions and I think the verdict is still out for version 13 on both Vegas and Movie Studio.  IOW, they don't have a recommended card(s) yet listed on their specs, like they have on previous versions. 

? I have nothing to convey.

That was merely a link to nvidia's own FREE screen capture software.

mixmkr
Re: OT (kind of): Has anyone used Snagit (Camtasia's little bro) for video screen capture? 2014/07/27 22:24:33 (permalink)
oh....didn't see the software.....  I just thought it was a Nvidia graphics card recommendation. (without an explanation why the link was there)  I'll keep on moving... ;-D

sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: OT (kind of): Has anyone used Snagit (Camtasia's little bro) for video screen capture? 2014/07/27 22:25:13 (permalink)
$300 for Camtasia...OUCH...I had no idea...jeez

Seems a little, shall we say, expensive? 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
Splat
Re: OT (kind of): Has anyone used Snagit (Camtasia's little bro) for video screen capture? 2014/07/27 22:25:55 (permalink)
mixmkr
oh....didn't see the software.....  I just thought it was a Nvidia graphics card recommendation. (without an explanation why the link was there)  I'll keep on moving... ;-D

You simply click on it to find out ;)

ShellstaX
Re: OT (kind of): Has anyone used Snagit (Camtasia's little bro) for video screen capture? 2014/07/27 22:33:18 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Beepster 2014/07/28 08:58:01

Short of trialing it I had a nosey at new Snagit. It's probably just fine ... but it is $50.

I see it has basic edits similar to that offered in Microsoft Expression Encoder 4 (free).
(I didn't mention above that MEE4 also requires > .Net 4 (included with Win8) - easy download/install).
On the downside the MEE4 solution is perhaps a bit more initial setup than an 'out of the box' offering.
On the plus side it is quality, highly configurable and free/inexpensive.
I'm very happy with it.

Hypercam 2 is probably fine. I do see the later version is payware (although reasonably priced - $40 ... and appears to be another company / publisher(?)).

I'd prefer to have a local solution than online (e.g, Jing).

Frankly there are many options and the basis of a comparison is here.

There are a couple of reasonably priced others I'm aware of too that aren't mentioned in the list:
- Litecam HD - $38
- Mirillis Action - $30

Some things to look for:
- light/reasonable CPU footprint
- audio in/outs (although as mentioned VoiceMeeter might fix that).
- good audio syncing (although SONAR can assist here (X3 at least)). 
- file formats, sizes
- video quality -framerates, bitrates, aspect ratios
- editting features
- watermarks (either not there or user assignable)
- ease of use, well presented GUI / workflow
- web integration / streaming

post edited by ShellstaX - 2014/07/27 22:43:34
ShellstaX
Re: OT (kind of): Has anyone used Snagit (Camtasia's little bro) for video screen capture? 2014/07/28 00:41:56 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Beepster 2014/07/28 08:57:51

I just spent an hour with Hypercam 2.
Whilst I wouldn't write it off in it's entirety ... it's hasn't met my demands in that time.

Firstly, be sure to decline the crapware during install!

The features are quite good but my main issue was the audio syncing when video framerates were put to something decent (aimimng for 30fps 1920x1080).
Syncing was best at a mere 5fps record/playback.
I guess you could look at syncing in Sonar but ... ain't nobody got time for that!

Microsoft Expression Encoder 4 Screeen Capture SP2 (MEE4SCSP2 ) has no problems at full 30fps (and you have tweakable bit rates - I set it to 10000).

My PC (laptop):
CPU: i7-4700MQ (8-core), 2.4 GHz
RAM: 8GB
GPU: 2GB NVIDIA GT 745M
post edited by ShellstaX - 2014/07/28 01:03:52
ShellstaX
Re: OT (kind of): Has anyone used Snagit (Camtasia's little bro) for video screen capture? 2014/07/28 10:45:52 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Beepster 2014/07/28 15:20:13

I downloaded and trialed SnagIt 12.1 (15 day trial) (well an hour or so thus far - although I was/am aware of previous non-video versions).

I was moderately impressed ...
  • Snagit excels in Static Screen Capture / editing
  • the video features are of good/sufficient quality, only MP4 H264 ~20fps / AAC Stereo 44100 Hz
(more below)

Why wasn't I more impressed ...
Because I've got a pretty similar solution via various utilities already (free(ish)).
  • Video Capture (Screencasting) - Microsoft Expression Encoder 4 SP2 / Screen Capture codec - (Basic Editing on par with SnagIt, MEE4 exceeds SnagIt for configurability)
  • Audio Mixer / redirection - VoiceMeeter (you may still need this with SnagIt and LIVE DAW playback (?) - untested yet) - Donationware
  • Static Screen Capture - FastStone Capture v5.3 (the last freeware version - 2007) - (similar to SnagIt, including scrollable grabs) - FREE
  • Transcoding - Handbrake - FREE
  • Many means of 'Sharing' to Applications, Web, Mobile devices - FREE

What SnagIT does additionally/better (?):
  • Brings it all together under one modern environment, actually 2 modules - the Capturer and the Editor (basic video edits).
  • Allows 'Profile' task automation
  • Good array of in built 'Share' options
  • Integrates well with Mobile devices (and via Techsmith Fuse Mobile Apps - FREE)
  • As a paid product it'd have Support.

Beepster
Re: OT (kind of): Has anyone used Snagit (Camtasia's little bro) for video screen capture? 2014/07/28 14:40:04 (permalink)
Okay... I seem to have survived the Single Sign In stuff.

ShellstaX... I really appreciate you spending the time to check all this stuff out and providing your thoughts on it all. You (and everyone else) have given me a lot of options. Based on your latest post I think my initial research may have indeed led me to the correct solution for now and Snagit would be worth the bucks for the sake of simplicity however now I am certainly curious about the other options in regards to the MS releases. Unfortunately I am on Win7 on all my machines (and will likely remain on Win7 because I like it, don't want to pay for 8 and am not buying any new preconfig'd machines any time soon). If I am reading you correctly I may still be able to check those options out anyway but for now I may just drop the fifty bones and get Snagit to start creating content right away. Thank you very much and know that due to your persistent helpfulness and knowledge I have started really paying attention to your posts. Good stuff.

Alex... I will look into that nvidea option as well. I believe my DAW graphics card is NVIDIA and now I'm curious. Unfortunately my laptop is Radeon and as you know I like to do a lot of my experimentation on that system first and a lot of the work I intend to do will be on that system because... well it is always running whereas the DAW only gets fired up when I'm ready to do DAW stuff.

As to everything else mentioned here I appreciate the input on the other apps. I had heard looked into many of them so knowing they are working for some people is good to know. There is a lot of horror stories as far as weird stuff installing alongside some of those BUT that may be mostly due to the third party distributors tossing their own weirdness in and not the actual software.

Man CNET has really been doing all they can to ruin their reputation lately, aye?

Cheers.
ShellstaX
Re: OT (kind of): Has anyone used Snagit (Camtasia's little bro) for video screen capture? 2014/07/28 22:38:59 (permalink)

@Beep: No Wuz - you obviously sparked a streak of interest . Me persistent? - No more than a dog with a bone!
(ASIDE: Single Sign On - I'm missing products / still seem to have old store acct (?) - to deal with).

@Alex: NVidia Shadowplay ... I was thinking 'who's going to incorporate GPU assistance' - none better than NVidia themselves I guess. However review showed up a few things:
- It's only for top end (GTX) cards (and only Nvidia, as you might expect (and you've pointed out)). My GT 745M is in no-mans land in the GE Feature Support Matrix.
- It's part of the Geforce Experience program - BigData / BigBrother! OK a mild case of paranoia - and they do say no personal data is connected. OK - data it is toward game optimization and Shadowplay is a plus. There is an opt-out ... but they'll have already grabbed a bunch of info.
BTW: TechSmith Snagit installs as opt-in to the improvement program too (without option). You can opt-out but that must be done in 2 places - both the Capture and Edit tools.

The one that sparked my interest for further investigation is Mirillis Action. Whilst perhaps Gaming focussed it does talk of overlays and Microphone Commentary. I've downloaded a trial - watch this space.
Beepster
Re: OT (kind of): Has anyone used Snagit (Camtasia's little bro) for video screen capture? 2014/07/29 09:02:19 (permalink)
Thanks for the heads up about the opt in thingie. I hate that crap. You sound like you got a bit of the OCD like me (which can be a good thing for us music types especially now that we have to deal with computers as well). I've just been going obsessive about a pile of other things so figured I'd save some time by asking. If I have the time later today I'll probably download the Snagit trial and see what it can do. Might try out Jing to as long as I'm on the site.

I also need to get a webcam or preferably an inexpensive digital camcorder for live action stuff. Whatever I get needs to be high quality enough to capture fast movements (my fingers during guitar lessons/examples) but under $100 so I'll probably be stuck with a wired webcam. I also need something that has a standard camera mount (not just the clip on silliness) so I can put it on my mini tripod. I could however jury rig something I guess. Like use twist ties or something and attach it to a mic stand. hmm... yeah that might work.

Sorry... just thinking out loud.
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1