Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 53
2009/03/06 15:23:10 (permalink)

Marc from Azura

8 Replies Related Threads

Richard Fey
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 650
    RE: OT: mp3 quality 2009/03/06 15:28:55 (permalink)
    He theorizes music fans prefer a tinnier digital sound...he must never have felt the force of an array of arena bass bins thumping on your chest and bod. lol
    inmazevo
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3276
    RE: OT: mp3 quality 2009/03/06 15:34:32 (permalink)
    mp3 quality is an oxymoron (IMHO)...
    But yes, many people have either learned to live with it/like it, or never knew anything else.

Back in the day I spent gobs of money trying to get a "better" sounding car tape deck. Today, THAT seemed like an oxymoron and a complete waste of money.
    I remember, after moving to CD players, getting in cars with cassette decks and saying "how can you stand that hiss?" To which they would invariably reply, "what hiss?"

Ouch.

mp3 won't be around forever. It's a stop gap technology with a lot of current inertia from the days of expensive and/or small storage capabilities, and slow internet connections. It's day will come.

- zevo
    post edited by inmazevo - 2009/03/06 15:44:46
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    RE: OT: mp3 quality 2009/03/06 16:32:22 (permalink)
    Research has shown, however, that today’s iPod generation prefers the tinnier and flatter sound of digital music, just as previous generations preferred the grainier sounds of vinyl.

What are this reporter's qualifications to comment on this topic? Digital music is "tinny"? And flat at the same time! Vinyl is "grainy"? WTF?

The quality issues with iPods are not the result of any limitation or character of digital recording. Aliasing isn't the fault of the recording. And those stock earbuds would make anything sound awful, even if playing a high-quality CD through them. "Digital" does not imply overcompression, although wimpy earbuds do benefit from compression. And of course, there's the 128KB/s standard for many internet downloads. None of these factors has anything to do with music being made on a computer.

That young people have come to accept MP3s and iPods is a sad fact. However, the author's source's contention that "Computers have made music so easy to obtain that the young no longer appreciate high fidelity" is bogus.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    RE: OT: mp3 quality 2009/03/06 17:38:34 (permalink)
    The reporter (and the dozen or so other reporters and bloggers who have regurgitated this story) probably is not very qualified. But Jonathan Berger seems to have serious credentials. I have a high opinion of the CCRMA, and he seems to have serious publications. What I have not been able to find is the published results of the research these articles are referencing. Without knowing the setup, and the type of music used in the testing it is pretty questionable to generalize the results.

It is not inconceivable that there is a trend to prefer the kind of distortion introduced by reducing a decent digital recording to an MP3. After all many people seem to prefer the kind of distortion that adds reverb pumping with the beat or choruses/doubles almost everything.

This may be a generational thing. On the other hand I was raised on 45 rpm vinyl, and I cannot stand the scratch and static of that medium, the or hiss and saturation problems of the subsequent tape cassettes.
    ParanoiA
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 747
    RE: OT: mp3 quality 2009/03/06 19:46:02 (permalink)
    Funny. There's a really smart computer friend of mine I work with that insists the quality issue with digital recording frequencies is "debatable". WFT? He actually insists he can't hear the difference between a CD quality track and a 128 KB MP3 file. He swears some people "claim" to hear a difference, and some people don't.

This dude is otherwise a computer genius, in my world anyway, so I'm just floored. He's a drummer too, and that, to me, is the most obvious difference in quality. The drums always sound fatter, with less character and depth to me. I can't believe he doesn't hear that.

Is that going to be the norm? Are we going to lose out on quality because the masses can't hear the difference? That's going to suck...
    j boy
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2729
    RE: OT: mp3 quality 2009/03/06 19:51:53 (permalink)
    If you plug the iPod into a dock player, some of them have pretty decent sound. Not all of the kids use earbuds 100% of the time, IOW.
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: OT: mp3 quality 2009/03/06 20:20:26 (permalink)
    Well... let me give you my 2 cents.... I use an Ipod a lot..... I'm rarely without it. I love the fact that I can take a CD and actually hunderds of CD's as well as my original stuff and some of yours as well, and stick it in my pocket and listen to it all day and more on a single charge. I'm under no illusion that the music is a lower quality than a CD< tape, or album could provide..... but it is mighty convenient.

Having a good high quality set of earbuds helps. The originals were a pain to wear for more than a few songs.

The quality of the music contained therein..... yeah I think the kids have been "dumbed down" by the convenience factor of the Ipod and MP3's. I have used "home made" soundtracks from time to time on the rare occasions that I play live..... and generally I had used CD's..... but I thought...I'll do this with my Ipod. When I played the track through the PA... it sounded like crap..... the MP3's low quality really showed up big time through that PA..... but it wasn't evident in the buds.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 733
    RE: OT: mp3 quality 2009/03/07 01:10:34 (permalink)

Human hearing is one of the most adaptive things. We can adapt to almost any quality since our brain ''compensates'' for any audio weaknesses. We also like to hear what we want to hear - but that's another story

''I work to live, but live to make music'' -Mahler
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1