OT: ordered the Womanizer today

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
CapnSpanky
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 581
RE: OT: ordered the Womanizer today 2005/12/15 14:42:15 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: M

So, Tim, how are you using yours? Are you having any issues with the levels, as Harvey was?

What were you using previously, btw?

Thanks, man!

Hey M!

I've noticed no issues with levels, but I do run the Womanizer to a preamp. Like I said, it's dead quiet. (Wish I could say the same for my Strat ) I did hear someone complain once that the Demonizer didn't work well with low output pickups. But I have had no issues with the stock pickups on my MIM Strat or with the Semour Duncan Humbuckers on my Schecter.

The way I use it is nothing out of the ordinary.
1) Direct recording: Guitar --> Womanizer --> Preamp --> sound card
2) Guitar practice: Guitar --> Womanizer --> PodXT Pro --> mixer

Again, I just use the Pod for a little reverb while I'm practicing. No amps or cabinets.

I still haven't spent enough time with the Womanizer to write an in-depth review. But so far, I'm very pleased. I don't know how it compares to the Tonelab cause I've never used one. It may be that 'tone wise' it doesn't offer significant advantages over the Tonelab. But I have heard clips and I would bet that that the higher gain sounds are much better on the Womanizer. It definitely sounds better than my PodXT Pro (which is what I have been using).

The EQ on the Womanizer is awesome. You can turn the bass and treble all the way up and every bit of it is useable and sounds wonderful. The compressor is great too. It adds pure clean sustain. Everything about the unit seems to scream 'quality'.

I really really wanted to get away from digital modeling, but I loved the convenience of recording direct. I did a lot of research and felt that the Womanizer was my best option. I'm no tone guru, but the Womanizer has given me what I've been looking for and obviously...I'm very happy.

YMMV!

Tim Wells
-------
Cap'n Spanky
From the Planet Screwball
raja
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 330
Anybody Know How To Do This??? 2005/12/15 15:18:57 (permalink)
I'd like to be able to record the unprocessed guitar, but hear the guitar processed by the Womanizer at the same time. This means somehow splitting the guitar signal.

The idea is that the recorded dry track can be run back through the Womanizer, and re-recorded with whatever processing is desired. This enables auditioning of different tones in the mix AFTER recording the guitar, and then picking the best tone. It also enables changing of one's mind about the tone as the song creation progresses, without having to re-record the guitar track.
I've had no success so far, and am looking for suggestions . . . .

Here's what I did:

I tried running the guitar directly into my Mixer, and going from that channel's direct out to the sound card. This gives me the unprocessed signal for recording.

Then I ran a cable from the channel Insert (with the cable in only one click) to the Womanizer Input. Then another cable from the Womanizer's Direct Out back to a different channel in the mixer. This lets me hear the Womanizer's effect, and record that if I wish to.

I set up two tracks in Sonar, one recording the dry input, and one recording the processed output of the Womanizer.
Later, I can run the dry track back to the mixer, then to the Womanizer, then back to Sonar. This lets me audition different Womanizer tones and record them without having to replay the piece.

The problem is that when I use this method, there is a little extraneous noise, and the tone itself seems to be lacking in quality.

I was wondering if splitting the guitar signal at the insert point weakens it to the point that it doesn't sound as good.
Or maybe it's running the signal through all those cables (although none are more than 15 ft. long), which degrades the signal?
Or maybe re-cording then re-recording lowers the quality?

Any ideas what could be causing this and how to solve it?
CapnSpanky
RE: Anybody Know How To Do This??? 2005/12/15 15:48:55 (permalink)
Hey Roger,

I'm afraid I can't help you much with your set up. You might want to look into one of those Radial direct boxes, which would allow you to split your signal between dry and processed.

What are your impressions of the Womanizer?

Tim Wells
-------
Cap'n Spanky
Trojka
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 284
RE: OT: ordered the Womanizer today 2005/12/15 16:38:58 (permalink)
Mine still hasn't arrived. Your raving stories don't help. LOL :D
CapnSpanky
RE: OT: ordered the Womanizer today 2005/12/15 17:22:48 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Trojka
Mine still hasn't arrived. Your raving stories don't help. LOL :D

LOL! You need to keep in mind that I don't know what the @#%! I'm talking about.

Tim Wells
-------
Cap'n Spanky
Trojka
RE: OT: ordered the Womanizer today 2005/12/15 17:28:30 (permalink)
Good thing is, the power supply for my RME Quadmic DID arrive. Man, I love my M-Audio cards but compared to this, the mic pre's of the Omni suck like the elderly...
raja
RE: Anybody Know How To Do This??? 2005/12/15 17:38:31 (permalink)

I thought about a DI box, but I don't think that will help.
I tried a cheap DI box, didn't seem to improve things.

I found this on the Radial website, "The central task of a direct box is to convert an instrument's signal from high impedance to balanced low impedance. This enables the signal to travel long distances without adding noise and provides a proper load to the mixing console input for improved audio performance."

Maybe the Womanizer input is not able to handle a low impedance signal.

I wanted to ask the manufacturer, so I called Damage Control, but they are not answering their phones today . . . at least not when I called. I left a message, but no response yet.
raja
RE: Anybody Know How To Do This??? 2005/12/15 17:42:54 (permalink)
To answer your other question . . . .

I had a PODxt, and sold it after a lengthy comparision with the Vox ToneLabSE.

I recently compared the Vox and the Womanizer, and the latter is fatter sounding.
I'm keeping both for awhile for further comparisions.
Trojka
RE: Anybody Know How To Do This??? 2005/12/19 11:55:04 (permalink)
It finally arrived!

Plugged it straight into my M-Audio Delta 66 breakout box, and it seems to be working fine. Would I be better off by chaining it to my RME Quadmic? (it functions as a pre amp for line levels too right?)
Trojka
RE: Anybody Know How To Do This??? 2005/12/22 01:01:41 (permalink)
Bump
CapnSpanky
RE: Anybody Know How To Do This??? 2005/12/22 09:52:23 (permalink)
It finally arrived!

Plugged it straight into my M-Audio Delta 66 breakout box, and it seems to be working fine. Would I be better off by chaining it to my RME Quadmic? (it functions as a pre amp for line levels too right?)

It would probably be better if you sent it to your mic preamp, but if you're happy with it straight to the sound card then I'm sure that's fine too.

Please tell us you impressions... thanks...

Tim Wells
-------
Cap'n Spanky
Trojka
RE: Anybody Know How To Do This??? 2005/12/22 10:55:45 (permalink)
Well, it sounds pretty damn fine! It's just the volume thing that's a bit annoying: whenever I want cleaner sounds I have to turn up the volume way up high. But when I then switch to Nuclear mode, it's way too loud for my soundcard inputs.

The sound is great though. Exactly what I missed in the Pod: that bell like tone with cleaner sounds, and that thick compressed sound when using a bit more drive. I like the Nuclear 'metal' sounds a lot as well.
Trojka
RE: Anybody Know How To Do This??? 2005/12/22 10:57:05 (permalink)
So in other words, I think I might hook it up to my RME.
Harvey Cedars
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1225
RE: Anybody Know How To Do This??? 2005/12/22 11:59:19 (permalink)
I sent my Womanizer back, but in the experimentation process I put my guitar > Tube MP > Tonelab. The resulting sound was amazingly better than the Tonelab by itself, so I went out and bought a better Tube Preamp with EQ and compression, I haven't taken the new tube pre out of the box yet but that will happen later today. My first tests with the Tube MP were amazingly improved over the Tonelab by itself. I am completely satisifed with the sounds of TubeMP into the Tonelab so far. If the new Pre is even better so much the better. If not I have 30 days to return the new pre.

My asessment of the Womanizer, it sounded great but not better than the Tonelab with the TubeMP in front, the Womanizer does not have enough of an output level to satisfy me for recording. Still it sounded surprisingly realistic (not moreso than the TubeMP>Tonelab). Since I already had the Tonelab and the TubeMP I thought the Womanizer did not add anything to my sound, and I decided on sending it back for the $375 credit.
CapnSpanky
RE: Anybody Know How To Do This??? 2005/12/22 13:38:59 (permalink)
Well, it sounds pretty damn fine! It's just the volume thing that's a bit annoying: whenever I want cleaner sounds I have to turn up the volume way up high. But when I then switch to Nuclear mode, it's way too loud for my soundcard inputs.

The sound is great though. Exactly what I missed in the Pod: that bell like tone with cleaner sounds, and that thick compressed sound when using a bit more drive. I like the Nuclear 'metal' sounds a lot as well.

Glad you're diggin it, Trojka! (me too!)

Tim Wells
-------
Cap'n Spanky
CapnSpanky
RE: Anybody Know How To Do This??? 2005/12/22 13:58:40 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Harvey Cedars
I sent my Womanizer back, but in the experimentation process I put my guitar > Tube MP > Tonelab. The resulting sound was amazingly better than the Tonelab by itself, so I went out and bought a better Tube Preamp with EQ and compression

Hey Harv,

Another thing you might want to experiment with someday is the $35 Behringer ULTRA-G GI100 or the Ultra-G Direct Box, which are hardware cab sims. I'm not sure the difference between the two models at this point.

Website

I've heard several people rave about these things. One guy turned off the speaker cabinets on his Tonelab and ran the signal into the Behringer. He said the sound was phenominal.

I think I may get one and do a little experimenting.

Tim Wells
-------
Cap'n Spanky
Trojka
RE: Anybody Know How To Do This??? 2006/02/02 16:20:47 (permalink)
Just wanted to follow this one up to give a big thumbs up to Capnspanky and eh....that other guy. Was it Elvenguy? Your enthusiasm inspired me to buy the Womanizer, and mixing hasn't been so easy yet. With the Pod I had to do really drastic cuts in the mids to make it work in a mix. The Womanizer sits in mixes really well. And it's so much fun to play. Now I'm done in one take, whereas with the Pod it was an endless string of retracking to get it right. And then equalizing an awful lot afterwards...

When I got it, I couldn't stop playing. I didn't even start recording, because I liked the sound so much. Now I just recorded an entire song using it! Loving it, loving it, loving it! I'll post a link to the song if you guys want...but only if you want it, I'm not here to spam. Just to say thanks!
dudemanjch
  • Total Posts : 584
RE: Anybody Know How To Do This??? 2006/02/03 01:43:07 (permalink)
i have the Behringers DI w/ Speaker emulation (Ultra G), and it really does great with the speaker emulation on...better on PA's then for recording, but it still adds a lot to recording, I just found that the guitar seemed to have a weird reverb feel to them when recorded through the Ultra G, but better than nothing.

Debut Album, all in SONAR!

Listen:
Soundclick
MySpace

Support:
Facebook Fan Page

Purchase:
iTunes
Amazon.com
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1