OT: please help with PC purchase

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
AndyW
Max Output Level: -45.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2956
RE: OT: please help with PC purchase 2008/11/12 23:41:14 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: g_randybrown

This one is AMD quad core with up to 8 GB ram for $480
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4140524
This is the Intel quad (which I've heard is better than the AMD) but only supports up to 4 GB RAM for$550
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4140525&SRCCODE=GOOGLEBASE&cm_mmc_o=TBBTkwCjCVyBpAgf%20mwzygtCjCVRqCjCVRq

The limit on the max ram concerns me as I do video also
Thanks very much,
Randy

Randy...I'm going to be as direct as I can without trying to sound "elitist"...."big store" box systems are always made out of low quality components. It is simple economics. The motherboard is the hub of the whole system and it will be a proprietary, poorly made one that will probably suffice for internet browsing and office apps but when you stress it by trying to run it as a DAW...it's cracks will most likely show. The RAM is only 667Mhz...this will directly affect Softsynth performance.

Anyway..I think you best luck will be with the Intel System. Even so, you risk hours of frustration and the potential for your system to never work right as a DAW. I also second the recommendations for Jim at Studiocat and Scott at ADK. Yes, it is more bucks...but how much is your time and frustration worth? Their systems will work from the moment you turn them on. Just my .02.

Best,

AndyW

OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR

www.soundclick.com/andyw
Mooch4056
Max Output Level: -0.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7494
RE: OT: please help with PC purchase 2008/11/13 01:10:46 (permalink)
Andy I agree with you.

i see lots of people on here have a custom made professional daw - but I am getting the impression MOST dont on thsi form..... I have a good computer - from the shelf of a store ... that does a pretty good job -- and i configured it myself and tweaked -- it it was a small headache -- but I got things goig pretty smooth at this point --

also i see people on here who do have computers made specifically for DAW use and they have issues too...

I know what your saying -- and one day I'll save enough money and have a pro daw built -- but i know what its like to be in a finacial bind when it comes to creating music and how much money u can spend...

I hope you dont take this as mean spirited and I certainly dont want to argue -- Your set up looks great and I wished I owned it -- lol

-- I am just saying I know where the OP is coming from -- I also know where your coming from too -- but have to chime in that i have two machines that I run sonar on - both off the shelf -- both tweaked over time -- and both do a pretty good job for what I do with minimal issues

have a good one!

Paul

From Now On Call Me Conquistador! 

Donate to the cure Bapu Foundation
Email: mooch4056@gmail.com for more info

Kev999
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3922
RE: OT: please help with PC purchase 2008/11/13 02:51:38 (permalink)
...the Intel has a 400 watt power supply compared to the 300 watt AMD. I'll be running 2 extra internal HDs and one external....is 100 watts difference a factor here?

Even 400W is barely sufficient if you will be connecting external devices via USB.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
Having fun at work lately
tyacko
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1190
RE: OT: please help with PC purchase 2008/11/13 07:44:30 (permalink)
BTW are any of you running 64 bit?

Yes, I run a dual boot of Vista 64-bit and XP Pro. My PC (bought from TigerDirect) now has 8gigs of RAM in it. It is an Intel Extreme Quad Core (don't remember the number off the top of my head). I initially had some issues with the system, but that was because of the wireless network card I tried to use at the time. It caused BSOD. Once I removed that card, everything has been working great!

Now, I had to by my OS separately, so I didn't have all the "helpful" software installed by the manufacturer. Your link shows that it is a DELL refurb, so it might come with an OS already installed which will have software on it you won't use/need.

I agree that 400W could be weak, but you can buy a powered USB Hub for around $50 or so if you start to see power issues. However, I wouldn't worry about that until you use the machine and see if it is a problem.
aj
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1084
RE: OT: please help with PC purchase 2008/11/13 08:18:26 (permalink)
A few comments:-

1. There is a widespread belief that memory speed is a BIG factor in system performance. Actually it is not. Typically, slower memory might compromise performance by at most 5%. CPU performance is by far the biggest factor in system speed. (e.g going from DDR667 to DDR800 might give you 2% performance improvement if that. It's true and I can point to exhaustive tests that prove it).

2. Intel has certainly outgunned AMD on raw performance. That said, if you can pick up an AMD-based system for an attractive price, and are willing to factor in that it will be something like 25% less powerful than the Intel equivalent, this still might be more than enough power for you. Looking at the sample projects that come with Sonar 8, by far the most demanding is the softsynth-based Dark European Space Adventures (or whatever its called). Now, looking at that, it's pretty much pushing the limits of a dual core AMD 6000X2 and for comparison a Core 2 Duo Mobile T7250 (on my laptop). Do you need more power than that because of softsynth count?. Then a quad-core AMD Phenom will give you about 60-70% more capability and the Intel equivalent probably around 100% more capability.

Incidentally the AMD processor still has better memory bandwidth than the Core 2 Duo/Quad which to some extent mitigates the performance penalty. The i7 (see below) fixes that, of course.

3. The Intel i7 is about to hit the market. This will bring the price of the Intel Core 2 quad CPU down and the total cost of the machine accordingly. So if you can wait 3 months or so, you will probably see some really attractive deals on Intel-based hardware

4. Any off-the-shelf solution is likely to be rather noisier than you would like, as its designed for an office environment where humming fans are not an issue. See below

5. While it is true historically that getting audio applications to work on 'off the shelf' hardware was a somewhat hit-and-miss proposition, a number of issues that resulting from technology that hadn't settled down - USB2, PCI Express and SATA, not to mention Firewire - have settled down a lot more now and the more modern chipsets are a lot better in this regard and issues have become rarer (though not unknown)

6. While you say you aren't comfortable building a machine yourself, there are tons of little computer stores where the owner would be only too happy to put everything together for you - and it will not cost you a fortune. If you're really strapped for cash, a lot of university students know how to put together a PC. It's about as complex as assembling flatpack furniture, truth be told. All you have to do is order the motherboard, case, etc. This sounds daunting but it is fairly simple:-

(a) choose a motherboard from a reputable vendor e.g Asus and Gigabyte spring to mind as the two obvious choices. Even a low-end model from these guys will be fine. The extra money is for overclocking and gaming features you don't need or want, so spend it elsewhere. Also these mobos come with decent manuals that show all the plugs and stuff with proper installation instructions. Written in English you can read. You want a mobo without integrated graphics. Don't worry too much if it has integrated sound - you can always turn that off - just don't install the drivers in the first place.

(b) Choose branded memory e.g Kingston. Speed really isn't important as long as it's compatible with the motherboard and don't waste your money on so-called 'premium' memory - like high-octane gasoline, it's just a waste of money, believe me. Depending on platform, DDR2-667 or DDR2-800 will be just fine.

(c) Disk drives are pretty much commodities now, a couple of 250G SATA 7200rpm drives will do nicely and be very cheap. Hitachi,Samsung, Western Digital, plenty of good brands out there. I would counsel against recycling any existing drives. There are good reasons for this - get some brand-new drives, they will be quieter and they will have more onboard cache, most likely and they are extremely cheap.

(d) Choose a decent power supply (e.g do some googling around the overclocker forums). Rated generously - 500W would be wise.

(e) Put in a dedicated, cheap, low-end PCI Express video card e.g Geforce 6200 or something like that. It will be all you need. It should be passively cooled (no fan).

(f) choose the case and fan carefully. You want one of those huge and slow case fans. Even so, acoustic noise from disk drives and more importantly the CPU fan etc. will to some extent be apparent unless you purchase a special (and expensive) case. There are CPU coolers with special low-noise fans and choosing one of those would be a good move.

(f) I would probably use an external USB2 audio unit by preference with trying to fit an internal card. Roland/Edirol is a wise choice for obvious reasons with Sonar; if your needs are modest, the UA25, if less modest, then the UA101 (I think that's the model). But I understand you want to recycle the Delta card - which should work, but be prepared for the possibility of disappointment.

(g) Much nonsense has been spouted over Firewire vs USB2. Which interface does the V-Studio use?. I rest my case.

7. You may not need a quad core at all. The Core 2 Duo E8400 for instance will give you two really FAST cores and be considerably cheaper. Not all software can split processing across multiple cores well and there's no substitute for raw grunt per core.

8. Any off the shelf system will as others have pointed out be made with the cheapest components money can buy. It may work but it may not. And because the case and motherboard etc. aren't standard parts, changing stuff out to fix an issue will be a nightmare. Fan too loud but has non-standard connector?. CPU cooler too noisy and not enough space to fit an after-market unit?. Not enough slots for all your hard drives & stuff?

Given a case and the bits it takes about 2 hours to put everything together, just to give you an idea. Less if you've done it lots before which is what your local computer store owner will have done (you know the kind of place I mean, they sell mobile phones & stuff, you should be able to find someone you can trust to do this properly). You may as well do the operating system instal yourself, if you can't handle that then you need to learn because, believe me, at some stage you will have to do it!. (disk drives break!)

Since you have to purchase the OS and the hardware, this will look more expensive than your off-the-shelf solution but not necessarily by a great deal. And you will get a decent system.
g_randybrown
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3522
RE: OT: please help with PC purchase 2008/11/13 08:34:31 (permalink)
Thanks again to everyone for your help, I just ordered the Intel.
One last thing please, can you suggest a link that has the Vista tweaks to get rid of all the garbage?
Thanks again,
Randy
edentowers
  • Total Posts : 1164
RE: OT: please help with PC purchase 2008/11/13 11:32:26 (permalink)
Before you start deleting stuff left right and centre why don't you just load up Sonar and run the Dark Space Adventure demo project that was mentioned earlier?

I'm sure that the Gateway will perform very well just as it comes.

S8PE, Dell XPS 720 (Q6600), XP Pro SP2, Edirol UA-101
Garry Stubbs
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2619
RE: OT: please help with PC purchase 2008/11/13 11:32:54 (permalink)
Some people have great luck buying off the shelf systems. Most do not. If you want a dedicated DAW, go to StudioCats, ADK Pro Audio, or one of the many dedicated DAW manufacturers that post on this great forum.

If you want a potential headache you'll never truly solve, go cheap.

Just my two cents... Good luck!

Corey

With respect - hogwash Corey, what do you think custom DAWS are made from, magical fairydust DAW componants? A PC is combination of standard componants, a known operating system, and a configured setup. It is this last element, the configured setup, that many people fail to grasp. I am just staging an off the shelf HP Pavilion Q6600 quad core, which I bought for less than $1000, to replace my off the shelf AMD 4300+ single processor. In both cases I have never had a single glitch that I cannot overcome that other people constantly have problems with, although I have had my problems with configuration etc along the way and been happy to talk / ask about those on this forum. Get the right drivers, the right OS configuration and away you go.

This is the "harshest" post I have ever made, but I feel strongly about this, nearly all problems are down to the configuration, and this is under the control of the user, not the system builder.

Peace Love and Understanding

Garry Kiosk

EDIT: In fact, I totally respect the products and services, support and advice of guys like Jim Roseberry (who has given me great advice concerning backup and recovery tools on this forum) who are clearly respected in the DAW arena, yes if you pay for quality you will get quality, in these guys cases it is a guarantee. However that is not to say an off the shelf system cannot be made to cut it for Sonar or any other audio application come to that, and to suggest so as Corey has done could put a lot of people off. - Kiosk out
post edited by The Kiosk Project - 2008/11/13 11:40:43

https://soundcloud.com/garry-kiosk
Sonar Platinum 64-bit: Q6600 8Gb Win7 64-bit: KRK Monitors: ART MPA PRO VLA ii preamp: 3 x 500Gb internal SATA disks: Superior Drummer2: GPO4: Realstrat: Saxlab: Rapture: Dimension Pro: Ozone 4: Edirol SPS-660: PCR-500 MIDI controller: Korg PadKontrol: Fender / Gibson / Yamaha / Ibanez guitars:Guitar Rig 5: Dual 22" Monitors: Mapex Drums, Sabian AAX cymbals: Alesis DM5 Pro Kit: SE Electronics and Shure Mics: Mathmos Lava Lamp (40W)
edentowers
  • Total Posts : 1164
RE: OT: please help with PC purchase 2008/11/13 11:47:07 (permalink)
Garry, I hope you're enjoying your new quadcore.

What leads me towards OTS systems is that manufacturers like Dell and HP are going to have invested a lot of time ensuring the components will work reliably. I'm now on my second Dell XPS, the first one still performing really well when my kids want to play Need For Speed etc.

Folks should run a few of the Sonar show videos and take a look at the standard office-type Dell Dimension Pros that are sitting under the desk.

Phil

S8PE, Dell XPS 720 (Q6600), XP Pro SP2, Edirol UA-101
g_randybrown
RE: OT: please help with PC purchase 2008/11/13 12:09:32 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: aj

A few comments:-

1. There is a widespread belief that memory speed is a BIG factor in system performance. Actually it is not. Typically, slower memory might compromise performance by at most 5%. CPU performance is by far the biggest factor in system speed. (e.g going from DDR667 to DDR800 might give you 2% performance improvement if that. It's true and I can point to exhaustive tests that prove it).

2. Intel has certainly outgunned AMD on raw performance. That said, if you can pick up an AMD-based system for an attractive price, and are willing to factor in that it will be something like 25% less powerful than the Intel equivalent, this still might be more than enough power for you. Looking at the sample projects that come with Sonar 8, by far the most demanding is the softsynth-based Dark European Space Adventures (or whatever its called). Now, looking at that, it's pretty much pushing the limits of a dual core AMD 6000X2 and for comparison a Core 2 Duo Mobile T7250 (on my laptop). Do you need more power than that because of softsynth count?. Then a quad-core AMD Phenom will give you about 60-70% more capability and the Intel equivalent probably around 100% more capability.

Incidentally the AMD processor still has better memory bandwidth than the Core 2 Duo/Quad which to some extent mitigates the performance penalty. The i7 (see below) fixes that, of course.

3. The Intel i7 is about to hit the market. This will bring the price of the Intel Core 2 quad CPU down and the total cost of the machine accordingly. So if you can wait 3 months or so, you will probably see some really attractive deals on Intel-based hardware

4. Any off-the-shelf solution is likely to be rather noisier than you would like, as its designed for an office environment where humming fans are not an issue. See below

5. While it is true historically that getting audio applications to work on 'off the shelf' hardware was a somewhat hit-and-miss proposition, a number of issues that resulting from technology that hadn't settled down - USB2, PCI Express and SATA, not to mention Firewire - have settled down a lot more now and the more modern chipsets are a lot better in this regard and issues have become rarer (though not unknown)

6. While you say you aren't comfortable building a machine yourself, there are tons of little computer stores where the owner would be only too happy to put everything together for you - and it will not cost you a fortune. If you're really strapped for cash, a lot of university students know how to put together a PC. It's about as complex as assembling flatpack furniture, truth be told. All you have to do is order the motherboard, case, etc. This sounds daunting but it is fairly simple:-

(a) choose a motherboard from a reputable vendor e.g Asus and Gigabyte spring to mind as the two obvious choices. Even a low-end model from these guys will be fine. The extra money is for overclocking and gaming features you don't need or want, so spend it elsewhere. Also these mobos come with decent manuals that show all the plugs and stuff with proper installation instructions. Written in English you can read. You want a mobo without integrated graphics. Don't worry too much if it has integrated sound - you can always turn that off - just don't install the drivers in the first place.

(b) Choose branded memory e.g Kingston. Speed really isn't important as long as it's compatible with the motherboard and don't waste your money on so-called 'premium' memory - like high-octane gasoline, it's just a waste of money, believe me. Depending on platform, DDR2-667 or DDR2-800 will be just fine.

(c) Disk drives are pretty much commodities now, a couple of 250G SATA 7200rpm drives will do nicely and be very cheap. Hitachi,Samsung, Western Digital, plenty of good brands out there. I would counsel against recycling any existing drives. There are good reasons for this - get some brand-new drives, they will be quieter and they will have more onboard cache, most likely and they are extremely cheap.

(d) Choose a decent power supply (e.g do some googling around the overclocker forums). Rated generously - 500W would be wise.

(e) Put in a dedicated, cheap, low-end PCI Express video card e.g Geforce 6200 or something like that. It will be all you need. It should be passively cooled (no fan).

(f) choose the case and fan carefully. You want one of those huge and slow case fans. Even so, acoustic noise from disk drives and more importantly the CPU fan etc. will to some extent be apparent unless you purchase a special (and expensive) case. There are CPU coolers with special low-noise fans and choosing one of those would be a good move.

(f) I would probably use an external USB2 audio unit by preference with trying to fit an internal card. Roland/Edirol is a wise choice for obvious reasons with Sonar; if your needs are modest, the UA25, if less modest, then the UA101 (I think that's the model). But I understand you want to recycle the Delta card - which should work, but be prepared for the possibility of disappointment.

(g) Much nonsense has been spouted over Firewire vs USB2. Which interface does the V-Studio use?. I rest my case.

7. You may not need a quad core at all. The Core 2 Duo E8400 for instance will give you two really FAST cores and be considerably cheaper. Not all software can split processing across multiple cores well and there's no substitute for raw grunt per core.

8. Any off the shelf system will as others have pointed out be made with the cheapest components money can buy. It may work but it may not. And because the case and motherboard etc. aren't standard parts, changing stuff out to fix an issue will be a nightmare. Fan too loud but has non-standard connector?. CPU cooler too noisy and not enough space to fit an after-market unit?. Not enough slots for all your hard drives & stuff?

Given a case and the bits it takes about 2 hours to put everything together, just to give you an idea. Less if you've done it lots before which is what your local computer store owner will have done (you know the kind of place I mean, they sell mobile phones & stuff, you should be able to find someone you can trust to do this properly). You may as well do the operating system instal yourself, if you can't handle that then you need to learn because, believe me, at some stage you will have to do it!. (disk drives break!)

Since you have to purchase the OS and the hardware, this will look more expensive than your off-the-shelf solution but not necessarily by a great deal. And you will get a decent system.

I'm not sure how I missed this post this morning (before I ordered the Intel) but I wish I would have I would have given this some more thought. Thanks for a such a comprehensive, informative post AJ.
In February I will be in a position to get another PC if I'm unhappy with the one I ordered. If I do I will build my own using your suggestions (after all I have done some minor stuff like installing HDs, RAM, graphics cards etc).
And hey, even if I am an idiot I have this forum to help me do it.
BTW, it's good to be back. I got probably 5 to 1 responses here compared to the same question I asked at my video forum.
I really appreciate you guys!
Thanks again so much,
Randy
WDI
Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2069
RE: OT: please help with PC purchase 2008/11/14 11:38:36 (permalink)
I didn't read this whole tread but I'll add my two cents anyways..,

The advantages to building your own computer is that you know everything that's in it from top to bottom...
Pick your motherboard which is the heart of the computer. It's important to get a good chipset. Also, you can make sure it has all the features you want such as number and type of PCI slots, SATA connections, video card slots, etc.
Choose quality RAM and the configuration and amount you need.
Choose your hard drives to ensure they are quaility and configures how you want.
Choose a quality video card that will provide the functionality that you desire.
Choose a quality case to ensure it meets your needs such as rack mount and how quite it will be including quite fans and cooling system, and to ensure expansion if need be for upgrades in the future.
Choose an appropriate power supply that is quality and supplies enough wattage, expecially in regards to future upgrades.
Ensures that all software is installed and configured how you want, and only what you need.

I'm sure there are more things but off the top of my head that's a pretty decent list anyways.

Do you really know what's inside the off the self computers by Gateway, Dell, HP, etc. How cheap are the components? I've worked on friends computers by Dell and Gateway and they always seem to be built with proprietary parts that often makes fixing a part or upgrading very difficult.

About 10 years ago it was actually cheaper to build your own system. It is not this way anymore so expect to pay more. But at least you know what you are getting.
post edited by WDI - 2008/11/14 11:39:55

Sonar 7 PE
Windows XP Pofessional (SP3)
MSI K8N Neo4-F
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
2 GB PC 3200 Ram
RME Fireface 800
Edirol FA-66
CM Labs MotorMix

Old stuff: ARJO
Garry Stubbs
RE: OT: please help with PC purchase 2008/11/14 16:01:16 (permalink)
WDI said;
Do you really know what's inside the off the self computers by Gateway, Dell, HP, etc. How cheap are the components? I've worked on friends computers by Dell and Gateway and they always seem to be built with proprietary parts that often makes fixing a part or upgrading very difficult.

Cant speak for Gateway, but every HP system and laptop I have ever had (and it's up to around 6 or 7 now) has never broke down and I have had to always find a convoluted excuse to buy a replacement, in fact my garage is a like a PC museum going back to the late 80's. These companies need a high level of reliability in their systems and factor it in with regard to the choice of componants. There are no proprietary parts in general mass market PC's any more, anything can be replaced if required, give me an example of a proprietary part in a Dell or Gateway manufactured in the last, say five years that cannot be replaced by a currently available alternative equivelent?

Garry Kiosk

Sonar Platinum 64-bit: Q6600 8Gb Win7 64-bit: KRK Monitors: ART MPA PRO VLA ii preamp: 3 x 500Gb internal SATA disks: Superior Drummer2: GPO4: Realstrat: Saxlab: Rapture: Dimension Pro: Ozone 4: Edirol SPS-660: PCR-500 MIDI controller: Korg PadKontrol: Fender / Gibson / Yamaha / Ibanez guitars:Guitar Rig 5: Dual 22" Monitors: Mapex Drums, Sabian AAX cymbals: Alesis DM5 Pro Kit: SE Electronics and Shure Mics: Mathmos Lava Lamp (40W)
WDI
RE: OT: please help with PC purchase 2008/11/14 18:35:32 (permalink)
I don't know about the last 5 years or when it was but not that long ago...

I've worked on Dell and Gateways with proprietary hard drive and CD Rom rails and power supplie attachments. In fact every time someone askes me to help them out with a Dell or Gateway I always run into some kind of problem. One time I needed to replace the motherboard and I couldn't because the case was specifically cut for the motherboards I/O. Well I guess I could have if I wanted to saw the back of the metal case off. Another friend spent like 3 grand on a Gateway and like a couple years later they wanted to upgrade the RAM. Gateway used a motherboard with RAMBUS ram when DDR2 had been out for years. Gateway tried to sell him 1GB of RAMBUS ram for $1000. LOL. I found some used on eBay for $150. Anyways, you get the point.

I'm not saying that off the shelf machines can't work great. But you assume they are using quality parts because you haven't had problems. Do you know who makes the motherboard in your machines, the hard drive, the ram, etc.
post edited by WDI - 2008/11/14 18:45:52

Sonar 7 PE
MSI K8N Neo4-F
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
2 GB PC 3200 Ram
RME Fireface 800
Edirol FA-66
CM Labs MotorMix

Garry Stubbs
RE: OT: please help with PC purchase 2008/11/14 19:24:42 (permalink)
WDI - apologies I stand corrected, I took the wrong turn of making my more limited experience into a generalisation. Yes maybe I have been lucky with my hardware over the years...

Garry Kiosk

g_randybrown
RE: OT: please help with PC purchase 2008/11/14 19:38:00 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: The Kiosk Project

WDI - apologies I stand corrected, I took the wrong turn of making my more limited experience into a generalisation. Yes maybe I have been lucky with my hardware over the years...

Garry Kiosk

Let's hope the OP is that lucky : )
Thanks everyone, BTW, it's due to arrive next Wednesday...I'll report back with my findings.
Randy
WDI
RE: OT: please help with PC purchase 2008/11/14 19:56:13 (permalink)

Original: The Kiosk Project

Garry Kiosk

LOL

No, I appologize. I didn't mean to come off as a know it all. I'm definetly not. For all I know you could be right also. I really don't know what they put in Dell, Gateways, etc. I really got into building my computers because I used to work in IT setting up computers so I knew my way around a little bit. About 10 years ago you use to be able to save quite a bit of cash building them yourself. That isn't true any more. I can't believe how inexpensive computers are at Best Buy with some impressive specs. However, even though it's more expensive, I still enjoy building them. I think there is some validity to researching known motherboard chipsets etc that have reliable results for DAWS. And it could just by my limited experience helping out family and friends with the two mentioned computer suppliers and not be a true general statement.
post edited by WDI - 2008/11/14 19:57:27

Sonar 7 PE
MSI K8N Neo4-F
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
2 GB PC 3200 Ram
RME Fireface 800
Edirol FA-66
CM Labs MotorMix

TomBO77
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 71
RE: OT: please help with PC purchase 2008/11/22 11:52:29 (permalink)
opps
post edited by TomBO77 - 2008/11/22 11:58:01
Tombo777
  • Total Posts : 63
RE: OT: please help with PC purchase 2008/11/22 11:59:29 (permalink)
Regarding the use of Dell I agree. I bought one Desktop a long time ago and would not buy another as it was a bear and did use proprietary parts and or installation of such, I have since built my own.

I do buy Dell outlet notebooks though and have had great fortune with them. My wife uses a $500 Dell notebook and an M Audio interface to run basic backing tracks from the Tyros 3 and her RD700 with some vocals for here gigs with no problems at all. I recently received Sonar 8 and loaded it on my 1705 Core 2 2Mhz notebook in MME mode using the Sigmatel driver and sound card (ugh) to see if I could get 6 MIDI and 6 Audio using 3 elements each in Dimension Pro with efx and a stereo track running. (Used the internal orchestral string demo), then I opened and browsed Firefox and Excel.......No problems and this notebook is my everyday do it all tool. So I guess my home made P4 3 in my home studio will suffice with my Presonus Firebox.

I in 25 years of Home recording never used more than 16 tracks (guess the old 4 track days taught me to economize less is more kind of thing)

Here the challenge though. I use a Tyros 3 for a lot of sequencing as I decided I am not a bass player, Drummer, String Arranger, horn section arranger and the Tyros has thousands of pre arranged Styles using great samples. The out put is amazing and 99% of the end users have no idea the projects were done using a keyboard only (although I do send some of the Tyros MIDI drums to BFD and use SW synths to mix it up). Those avg Joes and Joans are my target buyers. I'm certain a Professional Engineer/Producer could tell in a heartbeat lol But he is not paying my bills

SO IM am hoping someone will come up with a SOFTWARE arranger as good as the Tyros stuff so I can do it all in the PC. (Band in the Box won;t cut it.)IN that regard I will need some horsepower to run up to 16 tracks of sampler synths.

I am reading the sweet spot right now is the Q6600. I never buy TOTL processors becasue the prices fall so fast and I probably won;t get the benefit from them.

Maybe someone could poast a New Egg shopping list consisting of a Gigabyte board/ Processor. Drives dual or quad DVI card

QUIET Case I don;t mind spending money on a case becasue I usually have to take the VCQ1 and Rode into the walk in closet with a notebook to do vocals LOL.

Thanks
howieizme
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 406
RE: OT: please help with PC purchase 2008/11/22 12:04:50 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: lazarous

Randy:

Some people have great luck buying off the shelf systems. Most do not. If you want a dedicated DAW, go to StudioCats, ADK Pro Audio, or one of the many dedicated DAW manufacturers that post on this great forum.

If you want a potential headache you'll never truly solve, go cheap.

Just my two cents... Good luck!

Corey

+1

Mike,

"DAW's make you fat".

g_randybrown
RE: OT: please help with PC purchase 2008/11/22 14:59:42 (permalink)
Wow your timing is impeccable, now I really feel stupid as I've come here to ask for somewhat OT help with getting sound from this "cheap" thing. Howver before you say I told you so I checked out Jim's DAWs and as much as I'd love to have one it just wasn't feasible for me (I also like Porches but I have to drive a '95 Mitsubishi Galant).
Sooo...if you can help a brother out maybe I can someday afford a real DAW.
My problem is I'm trying to get sound from my (cheap) Creative Inspire T6100 surround speakers before I install my Delta 1010 (for various reasons).
I'm having difficulty navigating around in Vista (I've been using XP) but under control panel/hardware and sound I have Realtek Digital output device HDMI(I'm not using HDMI), Speakers-Hi definition audio, and Realtek Digital Output-Hi definition audio device listed with Speakers-Hi def audio selected as the default.
I select configure/7.1/test and get sound from all of the speakers (with 16 bit or 24 bit selected) but no sound from anything including windows media player.
Sonar states "the following drivers do not support the current audio format or are in use by another program" with all drivers listed.
Any help would be very much appreciated!!!!!!
Randy
EDIT: It must be because I'm running 64 bit (as indicated under system). I'm going to see if I can change it over to 32 bit...can you tell me if I have to reinstall???
post edited by g_randybrown - 2008/11/22 15:11:52
Tombo777
RE: OT: please help with PC purchase 2008/11/23 11:49:10 (permalink)
I feel your pain...IF you don;t want to buy a pre configured machine the next best thing is to buy one from a builder of generic machines to your specs. You can actually match specs from those Porche machines and then load XP yourself and have a great machine. Just make sure you have a good mother board and Power supply.

IN your case I would reformat the system then install a fresh copy of XP and ONLY the drivers needed for what You will use on the Computer,
post edited by Tombo777 - 2008/11/23 11:51:05

ASUS B150 PRO/Intel 535 Series 2.5" 480GB SSD
Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core 4.0 GHz LGA 1151/G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB  DDR4 SDRAM /Seagate Barracuda  2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache/GeForce GTX 950/Thermaltake SMART Series  550W ATX/Phanteks Enthoo Pro Series PH-ES614P Case

Sonar  Platnium  (User since DOS ver 1 )  
Audient id44
Yamaha Motif XS8/Tyros 4/Martin D21 
Yamaha MSP 7/Alesis Monitor One/ 
Home assembled PC  
Win 10 Home     

g_randybrown
RE: OT: please help with PC purchase 2008/11/23 12:43:07 (permalink)
I already tried to reformat but the disk and the recovery partition want to install 64 bit only (along with all the trial crap etc) with no options to do otherwise.
However I do have an XP Pro disk laying around maybe I should just use that?
BTW thanks very much Tombo, I thought this thead was dead and I didn't want to bump it fearing my only response would be "na na told you so!!"
Randy

G. Randy Brown 
Windows 10, 64 bit, Platinum
Intel Core i7-3770S
Asus P8Z77-V LK mobo   
4X8GB Corsair XMS3 memory 
500 GB Crucial BX100 SSD (OS)
two WD Black 1 TB HDD
SAPPHIRE DUAL-X 100314-4L Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 
Presonus AudioBox 22VSL
youtube.com/crystalclearnm
dappa1
Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2949
RE: OT: please help with PC purchase 2008/11/23 12:47:58 (permalink)
Vista does take time to get used to but once you have over come that initial fear factor its a joy to run. in fact they say that with Vista you do not have to turn of your on board sound card.
g_randybrown
RE: OT: please help with PC purchase 2008/11/23 13:02:33 (permalink)
Thanks Dappa, it's not Vista I have a problem with (just a matter of getting used to it) it's the fact I can't use my Delta 1010 with it (drivers are STILL in private beta). My primary job is video editing with Sony Vegas 8 and there are still issues with their 64 bit version also.
I have left a message with Gateway support asking how I can get the 32 bit version of Vista installed but I have my doubts if that'll be an option
Thanks again,
Randy

G. Randy Brown 
Intel Core i7-3770S
Asus P8Z77-V LK mobo   
two WD Black 1 TB HDD
Presonus AudioBox 22VSL
Tombo777
RE: OT: please help with PC purchase 2008/11/23 14:01:23 (permalink)

I already tried to reformat but the disk and the recovery partition want to install 64 bit only (along with all the trial crap etc) with no options to do otherwise.
However I do have an XP Pro disk laying around maybe I should just use that?
BTW thanks very much Tombo, I thought this thead was dead and I didn't want to bump it fearing my only response would be "na na told you so!!"
Randy

R
eboot with XP and wipe the disk clean. Install XP and only the drivers you need. IE Chipset etc. I bought my last two Dell notebooks from the outlet partly becasue XP was installed. Mostly becasue they are a great value and have been gone over twice, Once in Maylasia. Again in Texas when they are returned for whatever reason.

I have not read or heard of a bigger issue with a Microsoft operating system since ME. I am staying as far away from Vista as possible, Windows 7 release will be the fix. Businesses and people who build their own seem to be avoiding Vista as well according to some DIY forums. There is something amiss and I am not about to deal with it for pretty graphic buttons. The most important thing one needs is a stable operating system where drivers work. XP is as stable as any Windows OS I have used.

Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core 4.0 GHz LGA 1151/G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB  DDR4 SDRAM /Seagate Barracuda  2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache/GeForce GTX 950/Thermaltake SMART Series  550W ATX/Phanteks Enthoo Pro Series PH-ES614P Case

Audient id44
Home assembled PC  
Win 10 Home     

g_randybrown
RE: OT: please help with PC purchase 2008/11/23 15:26:39 (permalink)
So you're saying even if I can get the 32 bit version of Vista, go with XP instead.
Can you tell me how to get rid of that recovery partition...do I do that after the XP install or before?
Thanks again,
Randy

G. Randy Brown 
Intel Core i7-3770S
Asus P8Z77-V LK mobo   
two WD Black 1 TB HDD
Presonus AudioBox 22VSL
Tombo777
RE: OT: please help with PC purchase 2008/11/23 15:53:51 (permalink)

So you're saying even if I can get the 32 bit version of Vista, go with XP instead.
Can you tell me how to get rid of that recovery partition...do I do that after the XP install or before?
Thanks again,
Randy

IF you have an XP installation disk just boot the computer from the CD drive. You should be able to put the CD in and restart the computer it should ask if you want to boot from the CD. When it does it will ask if you want to format the whole disk add or delete partitions etc. You will need some drivers though for the chipset especially. You will need to know which chipset is in the machine and download them. If worese comes to worse take it to a computer shop and tell them you want XP installed with basic drivers,

If you are not computer savvy I would have a pro solve this issue for you. And No I would not load ANY Vista product but thats just me. I'm happy with XP on all five of our machines and the issues that are pretty prevalent and published scare me off Vista, My work hardly taxes a P4 3.0 but I will upgrade soon to a Q2660 based processor and system, so as not to get to far behind the technology.....but keep XP in the mix.

Audient id44
Home assembled PC  
Win 10 Home     

g_randybrown
RE: OT: please help with PC purchase 2008/11/23 19:33:26 (permalink)
Here are the specs on what I wound up getting. I'll do some research to see what drivers I need to make this happen. If I get overwhelmed I'll take in to a repair shop.
In the meantime please interject if you want...thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!
Randy

Specifications
Condition: Factory Refurbished

Operating Systems: Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium SP1

Platform: PC

Orientations Allowed: Vertical

Form Factor: Minitower

Bays: 2 - 5.25" Drive Bays
1 - 3.5" Drive Bays

Internal Bays: 2 - 3.5" Drive Bays

Available 3.5" Drive Bays: 1

Available 5.25" Drive Bays: 1

PCI Slots (Total): 2

PCI Slots (Available): 1

PCI Express X1 Slots (Total): 1

PCI Express X1 Slots (Available): 1

PCI Express X16 Slots (Total): 1

PCI Express X16 Slots (Available): 0

Expansion Slots: 4

PS/2 Keyboard Connectors: 1

PS/2 Mouse Connectors: 1

USB Ports: 6

FireWire Ports: 1

LAN Ports: 1

Audio Out Jacks: 5

Line In Jacks: 1

Microphone Jacks: 2

VGA Ports: 1

Processor Brand: Intel®

Processor Class: Core 2 Quad

Processor Number: Q6600

Processor Speed: 2.40GHz

Processors Supported: 1

Processors Onboard: 1

Memory Type: DDR2

Memory Size: 2x2GB

Total Memory: 4.0GB

Memory Speed: DDR2 667 (PC2-5300)

Memory Slots (Total): 2

Memory Slots (Available): 0

Maximum Memory Supported: 4.0GB

Interface: SATA II

Capacity: 750GB

Speed: 7,200RPM

Optical Drive Type: DVD±RW Dual Layer Labelflash

Type: Media Reader

Capacity: 15-in-1

Media Types: MicroDrive
SecureDigital
SmartMedia
Memory Stick
Multimedia Card
Memory Stick Duo
Memory Stick PRO Duo
Memory Stick PRO
xD
Compact Flash II
Mini SD
Compact Flash I
RSMMC, MMC Mobile, MMC+

Audio Description: Integrated Audio

Audio Chipset: High Definition

Channels: 7.1

Graphics Description: PCI-Express x16 Video Card

GPU/VPU: ATI RADEON HD2400XT

Video Memory: 256MB Memory

Video Interface: S-Video
2 DVI
DVI to VGA Adapter
DVI to HDMI Adapter

Communications Description: Integrated LAN Support

Interface Type: RJ-45 - Ethernet Connector

Chipset: Realtek RTL8211BL

Data Transfer Rate: Gigabit LAN

Communications Description: 56Kbps PCI Modem

Interface Type: RJ-11 - Phone Connector

Protocols: V.92

Power: 400 Watt

Mouse Type: Optical

Buttons: 3

Keyboard Type: Multimedia

Front Speakers: 2

Height: 15.5"

Width: 7.25"

Depth: 16.5"

G. Randy Brown 
Intel Core i7-3770S
Asus P8Z77-V LK mobo   
two WD Black 1 TB HDD
Presonus AudioBox 22VSL
Tombo777
RE: OT: please help with PC purchase 2008/11/24 23:50:33 (permalink)
Dude you have a GREAT system...Wipe it clean and install XP. You have a great platform. Exactly what I would out together if I was building a system today,

Audient id44
Home assembled PC  
Win 10 Home     

g_randybrown
RE: OT: please help with PC purchase 2008/11/25 10:01:55 (permalink)
Dude you have a GREAT system...Wipe it clean and install XP. You have a great platform. Exactly what I would out together if I was building a system today,

Well that's good to hear!!!
Okay I know you don't like Vista and I'm with you in that I just really like XP Pro (I don't know enough about Vista to even have an opinion except that I've read it's a resource hog) but the company that refurbished the PC said if I install XP it would void my warranty.
So here's what I think I should do; they are sending me a new installation disk with the 64 bit AND 32 bit version of Vista (no charge) so that I can install the 32 bit version (so my Delta 1010 will work). This way I should be able to get it up and running to at least make sure there's nothing wrong with it.
After that I can always go back to XP (the warranty is only for 90 days anyway).
The phone support from the refurb company (Revonate) is slow (24-48 hour response time) but seem to be very knowledgable; not just troubleshooting from a computer search system and reading from it (don't you hate that?...when you actually know more than the person reading that computer screen to you).
So anyway, hopefully I won't have to come crawling back to you guys after I install the 32 bit version.
Thanks again to everyone for your advice, even the stuff I didn't want to hear!!!
Wish me luck.
Randy

G. Randy Brown 
Intel Core i7-3770S
Asus P8Z77-V LK mobo   
two WD Black 1 TB HDD
Presonus AudioBox 22VSL