OT:Don't Want To Go To Deaf

Author
TBarrnes
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 66
2008/09/18 16:56:49 (permalink)

OT:Don't Want To Go To Deaf

I have been seriously thinking lately of getting into a band again after a 10 year hiatus. One of the reasons I quit in the first place was because my ears were ringing after band practice or a show.
I have worn earpugs in the past, but could not hear enough detail and highs in the music. Is there a special earplug that will protect my ears as well as let me hear everything well?

21 Replies Related Threads

CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: OT:Don't Want To Go To Deaf 2008/09/18 16:58:33 (permalink)
    Tell everyone to just turn down. you dont need to play so loud that your ears will get damaged. You can find a happy meduim, but i know how band mates are, they will always turn themselves up
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    cornieleous
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 809
    RE: OT:Don't Want To Go To Deaf 2008/09/18 17:01:22 (permalink)
    There are musicians earplugs that have even attenuation of all frequencies. They are not cheap and the good ones require a custom fit.

D.
    Razorwit
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1235
    RE: OT:Don't Want To Go To Deaf 2008/09/18 17:01:38 (permalink)
    Hi TBarrnes,
    Yep, you can get earplugs made that theoretically are flat attenuation, but you have to go to an audiologist. You should probably also think about getting a set of in-ear monitors and then having your plugs made to fit your in-ears, they'll save you at shows.

Good luck
    Dean
    Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: OT:Don't Want To Go To Deaf 2008/09/18 17:04:21 (permalink)
    Travis, Well it's the treble that knackers you ears.. My friend has bad trouble mixing down due to a lorry tyre going pop near his ears. most people only learn this with age.. when we are younger we seem to think we are invincible. I'm sure there's a few on here who have tinnitus from making music.. just hopefully it's mild..

ringing ears, isn't good though. had that from going to a u2 concert years ago and I rest my ears a lot
    tubeydude
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 904
    RE: OT:Don't Want To Go To Deaf 2008/09/18 17:05:55 (permalink)
    I had some of those fancy ones molded...and they started to fit loosely after only 4 months. They of course had a 30 day gaurantee. Now they are useless.

Now I just get the rolled foam ones and just got used to the different sound. I enjoy not having the ears ring after playing.

GMGM
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 494
    RE: OT:Don't Want To Go To Deaf 2008/09/18 17:32:00 (permalink)
    My bass player raves about his "Musician's Plugs" (fitted by audiologist). They cost him a little bit (somewhere between $100 - $200 I think). I've also seen some in my local guitar store. They're basically just regular ear plugs, but with a clear plastic tube down the center. Not sure how well they work, but I've been curious.

I started using regular ear plugs about 10 years ago. It was hard at first, but I can't imagine life without them. Bets of all, I don't need to worry about vocals in my stage monitors, because the plugs are like having two fingers shoved your ears.

Can anyone tell me whether the musician's plug type has the same head voice affect? I would gladly pay extra if I could protect my hearing, hear a braoder range of frequencies, without losing that finger in the ear voice thing.
    tcbetka
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: OT:Don't Want To Go To Deaf 2008/09/18 17:32:08 (permalink)
    I wear these whenever I practice drums:

http://www.gk-music.com/ultraphones.htm

They attenuate so much sound that you have to pretty much mic the drums in order to even hear them while wearing the phones. I haven't worn them on a live gig, but I used to wear a set of closed headphones when I was in a rock band a few years ago. The problem was the low end--you can't really hear any. So now I use a butt kicker, and things are great.

If I ever played a live gig again, it'd be with some sort of closed headphones on and sitting on a throne with a butt kicker. I have a friend playing drums for a top-level national act and I have hung out at quite a few shows with him; most of those guys are wearing the molded in-ear plugs, like from these guys:

http://www.westone.com/content/8.html

TB

Gretsch drums
    Mackie 1640 Onyx, Firewire I/O
    Audix mics
    Sonar 8.5 PE / Pro Tools LE 7.4
    M-audio MobilePre USB / M-box 2
    Windows XP / Q9450 2.66 GHz Quad / Abit mobo / 4GB RAM
    Seagate 1000, 500, 250, 80 & 80 GB hard drives
    Glyph 120GB firewire drive
    newfuturevintage
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1848
    RE: OT:Don't Want To Go To Deaf 2008/09/18 20:25:10 (permalink)
    I used to be a big booster of the etymonic custom molded plugs you get via audiologists, but given the cost and that your ears will out grow them with a year or less, I no longer am.

Have been using the $10 pair of "Hear-os" that musicians friend sell, and like them a lot. More even attenuation across the frequency range than foam. Yes, you do have to get used to a different sound, but I found that once I did, I prefer that sound...takes the edge off of cymbals nicely. I don't sing so that is a different beast entirely, YMMV.

edit for grammar
    post edited by newfuturevintage - 2008/09/19 20:26:12

My inner child is an angry drunk.
    bennym
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 118
    RE: OT:Don't Want To Go To Deaf 2008/09/18 22:53:28 (permalink)
    i am curious to hear more about these custom earplugs. i started using plugs at band practice a few years too late. i have a pretty noticable hearing loss from insanely loud bands for years. a couple of years ago i started using various plugs religiously but they drowned out the sound so badly it was really hard to write new music and improv and be able to hear everything clearly. i abandoned the plugs for live shows cuz how much fun is it jamming out when all you hear is a muffled mess? my favorite part of shows is the power of the music, the vibe, and i just can't get that with the plugs. i tried some that filtered out fewer db's, and they were better and clearer, but i suffered by ears ringing anyways because enough sound was still getting in to cause damage. i've tried turning down but when the drummer has a punishing style you can't hear sh*t unless the marshalls were cranked to 11! maybe there's no way around it in hard rock. so unless these custom plugs are the sheznit i'm selling my guitars and picking up the recorder so i'll be able to hear my grandkids call me an arsehole!
    Mychael W White
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 276
    RE: OT:Don't Want To Go To Deaf 2008/09/18 23:39:06 (permalink)
    what ya' say..........???

"eye-ya-ka-du-ya-by-eye-ya"

Quad Q6600-XP Pro32-3Gb-160Gb-500Gb-500Gb HD-2X22 LG-DVI-Monitors-Firepod-Sonar 8.02-BCF2000
    Line6 XTLive- Line 6 TonePort UX2- V-Amp2-Line 6 Variax Guitar +35 other various guitars and basses
    GMGM
    RE: OT:Don't Want To Go To Deaf 2008/09/19 10:34:19 (permalink)
    i abandoned the plugs for live shows cuz how much fun is it jamming out when all you hear is a muffled mess? my favorite part of shows is the power of the music, the vibe, and i just can't get that with the plugs.

I'm pretty sure Jeff Beck, Pete Townsend, and Paul Gilbert all used to feel the same way about loud/live shows . Of course, look at them now - tinnitus and all. Actually, I'm with you I kind of miss the adrenaline rush of loud amps, et al. But I've been in ear plaugs so long that I can't imagine life any other way. I think it's just something you have to commit to - and you get used to it after a while (like diet soda).
    Spaceduck
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2499
    RE: OT:Don't Want To Go To Deaf 2008/09/19 11:26:17 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: GMGM
    But I've been in ear plaugs so long that I can't imagine life any other way. I think it's just something you have to commit to - and you get used to it after a while (like diet soda).

Yup. I kicked & screamed & complained about "artistic compromise" for oh... about 2 weeks. Now earplugs are second nature. Btw I've tried the expensive, custom fit, pour-concrete-in-your-ear-and-make-a-cast earplugs (yucko), but I still think the 99c foam ones are the best fit and possibly the best sound.

Slightly OT but I used to have bad ringing, but ever since I quit caffeine my hearing is clearer. Has anyone experienced this, or does anyone have any tips on how to regenerate minor hearing damage?

Spaceduck music [HERE]
    Spaceduck videos [HERE]
    GMGM
    RE: OT:Don't Want To Go To Deaf 2008/09/19 11:59:02 (permalink)
    Yeah, I've heard of caffeine being a problem before. And I think high blood pressure factors in also. For me, I notice when my blood pressure goes up, after binging on soda into the wee morning hours doing guitar overdubs (very quietly I might add).
    lazarous
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1461
    RE: OT:Don't Want To Go To Deaf 2008/09/19 15:38:59 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: tubeydude
    I had some of those fancy ones molded...and they started to fit loosely after only 4 months. They of course had a 30 day gaurantee. Now they are useless.

Now I just get the rolled foam ones and just got used to the different sound. I enjoy not having the ears ring after playing.

Huh. I'm on my 2nd set in 15 years. Never had this issue.

The custom fits are AWESOME. Westone makes the best, as far as I can tell.

Corey

Ath 64 3500+
    MSI K8N N2 Plat ATX 939 Mobo
    2Gb DDR2 400
    RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652
    UAD1 4.2
    WinXP Pro SP2
    Sonar 8.3PE
    New Henry and Buster episodes available!
    tomek
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 684
    RE: OT:Don't Want To Go To Deaf 2008/09/19 17:12:30 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: CJaysMusic

Tell everyone to just turn down. you dont need to play so loud that your ears will get damaged. You can find a happy meduim, but i know how band mates are, they will always turn themselves up
    Cj

This is the ideal, but offen unattainable w/ "non-pro" drummers.
    (Especialy in a small room)

RME fireFace 400, Q6600 w/ all the bells and whistles, Acess Virus KB, Mics, soundcraft compact4,
    Orange AD30HTC into Orange 1x12, DIY FX Pedals, '73 Guild S-100, '97 Guild Starfire II
    WeStudioS
    • Total Posts : 141
    RE: OT:Don't Want To Go To Deaf 2008/09/19 19:19:44 (permalink)
    The problem was the low end--you can't really hear any. So now I use a butt kicker, and things are great.

What is a "Butt Kicker"?
    newfuturevintage
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1848
    RE: OT:Don't Want To Go To Deaf 2008/09/19 20:32:35 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: lazarous

Huh. I'm on my 2nd set in 15 years. Never had this issue.

The custom fits are AWESOME. Westone makes the best, as far as I can tell.

Corey

I've had three molds (both westone and etymotic) cast in about that time, and have outgrown all of them (cartilage continues to grow over your lifetime). You may just have slower growing ears than mine. I do love the way they work for the first couple months though.

My inner child is an angry drunk.
    mungocherry33
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 28
    RE: OT:Don't Want To Go To Deaf 2008/09/20 02:23:42 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: TBarrnes

I have been seriously thinking lately of getting into a band again after a 10 year hiatus. One of the reasons I quit in the first place was because my ears were ringing after band practice or a show.
    I have worn earpugs in the past, but could not hear enough detail and highs in the music. Is there a special earplug that will protect my ears as well as let me hear everything well?

From the Danny Elfman wiki:

Hearing damage

"When asked during a 2007 phone-in interview on XETRA-FM if he ever had any notions of performing in an Oingo Boingo reunion, Elfman immediately rejected the idea and stated that in the last few years with the band he had begun to develop significant and irreversible hearing damage as a result of his continuous exposure to the high noise levels involved in performing in a rock band. He went on to say that he believes his hearing damage is partially due to a genetic predisposition to hearing loss, and that he will never return to the stage for fear of worsening the condition."

I seriously compromised my hearing in the 70s and early 80's, and I am also tying to protect what's left. I would definitely go the audiologist route if I were you. This is what I'm going to do whether or not I ever play out in the future.

MM

__
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: OT:Don't Want To Go To Deaf 2008/09/20 10:53:52 (permalink)
    Butt kicker is a special driver for low freqs that attaches to the drum throne or some other piece of furniture....some even mount under the floor or a couch or chair. They are usually powered and driven by a large power amp....and they literally can shake the house...to give tactile feedback...so you FEEL the kick and bass....in your butt as you are sitting...hence the name Butt Kickers.

On live band noise levels: Yeah...I ruined my ears in a band years ago. We were LOUD. We averaged 115 DB onstage and during drum solo's it often went up to 121 DB. After 3 hours of that night after night for a few years.....I live with tinnitus 100% of the time. I have learned to compensate, and I am able to deal with it....but I have problems with hearing and distinguishing high freqs, above 3.5k.

Play lower, it sounds better and makes it easier on the sound tech. I've tried earplugs, and most were unsatisfactory, even the nice ones. Now....when I play, I use a lower volume, something I should have done back then.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    tcbetka
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: OT:Don't Want To Go To Deaf 2008/09/20 15:42:36 (permalink)
    Butt Kicker:

http://www.thebuttkicker.com/

You mount the driver under a drum throne, and fire it with an amp that is receiving a signal from an aux send (or something similar) on your board. They are truly great and make a tremendous difference when playing drums--really helps to keep the stage volume down.

EDIT: You can see a picture of one on a drum throne here: http://www.thebuttkicker.com/musicians/index.htm

TB
    post edited by tcbetka - 2008/09/20 15:54:12

Gretsch drums
    Mackie 1640 Onyx, Firewire I/O
    Audix mics
    Sonar 8.5 PE / Pro Tools LE 7.4
    M-audio MobilePre USB / M-box 2
    Windows XP / Q9450 2.66 GHz Quad / Abit mobo / 4GB RAM
    Seagate 1000, 500, 250, 80 & 80 GB hard drives
    Glyph 120GB firewire drive
    WeStudioS
    • Total Posts : 141
    RE: OT:Don't Want To Go To Deaf 2008/10/07 20:42:21 (permalink)
    It sounds like a great tool for digital drums. I'll have to check out that link. thanks tcbetka and GuitarHacker!!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1