OT-The Economy & Music Purchases

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Duojet
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1413
2009/02/13 20:12:28 (permalink)

OT-The Economy & Music Purchases

So....I'm not a working musician....and I'm still employed (knock on wood). I'm just wondering how this economy had affected musicians (not sure if it has at all!), and anyone else who buys gear. I just got a $75 off $199 coupon from sam ash....i saw this coming...retailers must be getting desparate!

Intel Core2Duo e8400
Abit IP35-E
4GB Ram
Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit
EMU 1820m

DFHS2, BFD2, Battery3, Amplitube2, GuitarRig3, Kontakt4, Ampeg SVX, Line6 PodXT

30 Replies Related Threads

jben
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 181
    RE: OT-The Economy & Music Purchases 2009/02/13 20:31:26 (permalink)
    I usually spend a good chunk of my anual bonus on music related stuff. I'm not sure if I'm getting one this year.

Thinking about the lack of a bonus has made me realize that even though there are alot of things I want, there is nothing that I really need
    PaPi
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1032
    RE: OT-The Economy & Music Purchases 2009/02/13 20:44:34 (permalink)
    Good question. I'm lucky because so far the economic crisis hasn't affected me, actually I've been quite busy lately with my work (yes, I'm a professional musician.) I have a family and I'm a "responsible" guy, so I won't just burn everything I have on new musical toys, but I must say that lately I've been buying stuff from EBay, considering you can now get excellent pre-owned gear for next to nothing. I love hardware synths and samplers (I'm old-fashioned, I've been with MIDI since before it went commercial in the early eighties) and now you can get equipment that originally cost thousands for a few hundreds or less. OK, maybe in a year I'll be out of a job and I'll be the one who resells everything for $20 (whose value will be about 2 Euros...) a piece, but at least I'm enjoying this moment. How about an Emu 4xt ultra for about $200? Popped in a 200-gb IDE drive (which cost me about $20, again on EBay) and now I have two of them, both with max RAM and the huge library I've either made or collected over the last 8 years. Or a Roland RD300sx for about $500? Best 88-key weighted MIDI keyboard I've ever had, and the piano sound rivals the best VST's below $150. And when I use it to play the Ivory Italian Grand, the experience is more satisfying than playing my real Yahama grand.
    post edited by PaPi - 2009/02/13 22:46:55
    Michael Five
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 366
    RE: OT-The Economy & Music Purchases 2009/02/13 20:55:54 (permalink)
    funny, I stopped by a GC after christmas thinking about scarfing up some stuff on sale once they went into post-holiday desperation mode, only to find they had sold everything. Not only was there deal, there was no stuff at all. Guys said that best they could figure, in an economy where nobody was buying $250K houses or $25K cars, they had plenty of money to spend on $2.5K guitars....

Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: OT-The Economy & Music Purchases 2009/02/13 21:09:29 (permalink)
    well one of the biggest UK shops / companies went under last year, Turnkey.. although I'm guessing part of that was having too much stock just sitting there.

the market itself has changed, in the 90's I remember going to a showroom and they were selling $2k+ etc things (where I eventually ended up working).. by that time in the early 2000's time they'd moved to a different part of London and also their main sales were people getting into music.. instead of say spending 30k + on a studio it was more like $2k - $4k.. (thats rough figures.. I'm just *2 the amount of UK pounds)

I do go into my local digital village and see desks going for thousands.. and think who the heck uses them, unless they are big studios.
    I noticed the sales staff in certain other shops were less snotty as time has gone on (I use DV because they haven't messed me about like others) , as end of the day it was money in the till (and they are all on a base + commission anyway)

Although if you can't afford new things it's a great incentive to make the most of what you have or learn up a lot more on it.

if you compare going out all the time.. in London anyway it's not cheap.. 1 night out = 1 sample cd.. probably..hehe

thats how my friend justifies spending 40 pound on a game, he can play that a lot longer and gets more value from it.
    post edited by Fog - 2009/02/13 21:34:27
    StuH
    • Total Posts : 376
    RE: OT-The Economy & Music Purchases 2009/02/13 21:38:23 (permalink)
    The economy is affecting my gear habits for sure. I haven't recieved a layoff and make pretty good coin but am focused on paying off debt just in case things go for an upchuck. The odd thing life a Reason Refill for 30 or 40 bucks but nothing major.

Sonar Platinum
    Windows 10 Home
    12.0 GB RAM
    Intel Core i7 - 4770 @ 3.40GHz 3.40GHz 
    M-Audio Fast Track Ultra
    guitartrek
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    RE: OT-The Economy & Music Purchases 2009/02/13 21:44:50 (permalink)
    My wife and I are definitely tightening up our expenditures as we divert more of my income into savings. The looming economy is causing us to do this. I just bought the upgrade to Ozone4 for $79 - but I'm not going to be buying a new Les Paul Custom this year. I really want that Les Paul - but I don't really need it.
    Fog
    RE: OT-The Economy & Music Purchases 2009/02/13 21:53:11 (permalink)
    GT.. I'm tempted to get the ozone upgrade also. I've heard a lot of people saying good things about the improvements.

Stu my refills folder is a tad outta control although there are a few which I found well not so good.. but have you got eXode's new massiv one? all his work including his commercial work, now for free..

Houndawg
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 759
    RE: OT-The Economy & Music Purchases 2009/02/13 22:07:00 (permalink)
    I was recently at the Winter NAMM (National Association of Music Merchants) show in Anaheim, CA. This is THE industry show of the year for most manufacturers of musical instruments of all types, as well as the dealers who sell them to the general public.

The turnout was much higher than expected, and the overall "vibe" was pretty good. This was quite encouraging... until the sales numbers started coming in. Practically no dealers were buying, stocking up, making any commitments at all -- a rather bad sign for the industry. Most dealers were overly cautious, too concerned about the "doom and gloom" economic news.

As a result, having worked for over 8 years for a major electronic musical instrument manufacturer, I was layed off promptly after the NAMM show -- as were numerous employees throughout the industry.

Until people regain confidence and start spending money again, more layoffs are certain. Many manufacturers have cut to the bone and are still cutting jobs, programs, advertising, support, R&D, etc., etc., just trying to stay alive as a business.

I firmly believe this will all turnaround, but will take time. The manufacturers and retailers that survive will certainly be leaner in many areas. It's up to all of us -- musicians, engineers, professionals, hobbyists, etc. -- to support our favorite retailers and manufacturers if we want to continue having new products developed and strong companies to support them.

hounDAWg

LynxTWO-B/UAD-2 DUO/UAD-1
    DynaudioBM5A/AlphaTrack/RD-700GX/PCR-800
    ASUS P5K-E/Q6600@3.0GHz/4GB
    2-WD Raptors(74/150),2-320GB(BFD2/VSTi)
    2-XFX PCIe/4-17"LCD
    AntecP182/NoctuaNH-C12P/CorsairTX650
    Sonar8.3.1/XP/Vista32
    StuH
    • Total Posts : 376
    RE: OT-The Economy & Music Purchases 2009/02/13 22:38:29 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Fog
    Stu my refills folder is a tad outta control although there are a few which I found well not so good.. but have you got eXode's new massiv one? all his work including his commercial work, now for free..

Ya I sure did Fog it is Massive and very gracious of eXode to release this free. I've been on a Refill kick lately.Reason Elctric Bass Pantheon, Flatpack3, and Filter Research.

Anyway back to topic.
    It may not sound like I curbed on software but I bought these over three months and usually I buy about two guitars per year, or a major component for the studio in general. The guitars and studio components aren't going to happen.

Sonar Platinum
    Windows 10 Home
    12.0 GB RAM
    Intel Core i7 - 4770 @ 3.40GHz 3.40GHz 
    M-Audio Fast Track Ultra
    Dave Modisette
    • Total Posts : 11050
    RE: OT-The Economy & Music Purchases 2009/02/13 22:38:45 (permalink)
    I'm not buying any music gear until SONAR 8.3 is released. So if Cakewalk doesn't want to be responsible for delaying the stimulus, they better hurry up.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    daveny5
    • Total Posts : 16934
    RE: OT-The Economy & Music Purchases 2009/02/13 23:00:44 (permalink)
    I usually spend a good chunk of my anual bonus on music related stuff. I'm not sure if I'm getting one this year.

Obviously you don't work on Wall St. or for a bank that got a bail out.

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    yorolpal
    • Total Posts : 13829
    RE: OT-The Economy & Music Purchases 2009/02/13 23:11:54 (permalink)
    Wail, my bidness (commercial broadcast audio production) is in the proverbial toilet, steadily declining for the last two years. But I'm bobbin and weavin. Ziggin and Zaggin. Holdin, just barely, my head above water. But I can tell you that our acquisition budget has been SEVERELY curtailed. We are hunkered down. We have our belts tightened. Frankly to the point of gettin a hernia or somethin. But we ain't licked yet, Farley. I did get that new Nocturn tho...almost $150 semolians. You get the picture.

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
    https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
    Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
    Ham N Egz
    • Total Posts : 15161
    RE: OT-The Economy & Music Purchases 2009/02/13 23:32:26 (permalink)
    well I had been lusting after a new mic pre and started out looking at Summit Audio and the Solo610, then working up to an LA610mkii, and finially a Focusrite Liquid Channel, then came to my senses, AFTER a trip to the local WInn-Dixie and a 6 pak of Warstiener was 10 bucks along with plumb higher food prices.. so just trying to pay utilities and food right now and get the new gear lust monkey off my back ..

Green Acres is the place to be
     I dont twitter, facebook, snapchat, instagram,linkedin,tumble,pinterest,flick, blah blah,lets have an old fashioned conversation!

CTek
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 92
    RE: OT-The Economy & Music Purchases 2009/02/14 00:17:17 (permalink)
    The growth in the money supply since 2000 is completely insane. It was basically an adjusted flat line from 1945 until 2000 and has gone straight up (almost literally if you chart it) since then. Now we are throwing an addtional, 2.5 trillion around like it was play money and I have little doubt that much of it won't be covered by treasury sales. This debt is going to really start having a negative effect on the capital markets - the fed is going to be hogging all of the capital with little left over for the private sector. Long term effect - very bad. In the mid term the growth in the money supply means serious inflation is around the corner. Instead of getting out of debt you should consider just making sure your debt is at low and fixed rates. A few years of 20-30% inflation and the real cost of those debts will inflate down to nothing.

Weimer Republic, Argentina, Zimbabwe - will politicians never learn?

Hopefully the money growth figures I have seen are exaggerated. But if there are not, hyperinflation will come - nothing can stop it except contracting the money supply back down - and no way that is going to happen now.

digimidi
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 496
    RE: OT-The Economy & Music Purchases 2009/02/14 01:45:08 (permalink)
    I noticed a kind of weird trend moment when I was considering a Digitech Live Vocalist rack mount unit, you know, the one where you sing and it adds additional harmony; it is the most expensive model they produce. Well, checking Sweetwater, GC and Musicians Friend, it was selling discount for $599.99. I also checked American Musical Supply and ZZounds and they were selling it for $499.99. I thought, well, maybe the manufacturers are lowering their prices to reflect the "new (reality) economy". So, before I had a chance to act, the prices at AMS and ZZ were back up to $599.99. Go figure...

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left... 
    http://daveowenmusic.com/
    http://fabulous52s.com/
    https://soundcloud.com/daveowenmusic

Sonar Platinum Edition/Cakewalk by BandLab: Dell 8700 XPS i7 16GB RAM, Cyberpower laptop w/8GB RAM/i7/2GB NVidia card/Tascam US1641/Focusrite 18i6/Melodyne Studio 4/Waves Plugs (a lot)/Garritan/EWQL Symphony Silver & Fab 4 and a bunch of other stuff. Studio One 3/Magix Samplitude Pro X3 Suite/Mixcraft 8 Pro/Reaper/Acid Pro 8
    dlogan
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2544
    RE: OT-The Economy & Music Purchases 2009/02/14 09:28:51 (permalink)
    My tax returns just got direct deposited yesterday and I've got a decent bonus coming up, so I'm hoping there are some good deals out there. It's kind of sad to say but if you've got money to spend you can really take advantage of the recession (not just on music purchases, I'm talking about cars, houses, appliances, etc).

I live just down the street from the Musicians Friend warehouse / clearance center, and they're doing 30-50% off scratch and dent items (off the already marked down price...). Good deals to be had for sure, if they have what you're looking for!!

But I will say that although the recession hasn't affected me personally (other than looking at my 401(k) balance ) we did trim down our vacation plans, are putting a little more into savings, etc. just because in the unfortunate event my wife or I lost our job, it would be very difficult to find a new one right now so we're being more cautious.

Dave

www.soundclick.com/steakbone
    space_cowboy
    • Total Posts : 9813
    RE: OT-The Economy & Music Purchases 2009/02/14 09:33:17 (permalink)
    Until the stock market crash last fall, I was planning on upgrading my D8B and RME DIGI 9652 to some Apogees or RME Firefaces. and a Toft 32 channel. I work in money management. We are paid a cut on our returns. Our returns were not positive. I worked last year for less than free, as I lost a bunch of money too. All in, if I never make more than my base, I stepped backwards 6 years as a result of the loses.

So far this year, I have bought a couple of plug ins. That is all.

Usually, spending $10++k on gear was not an issue. That is what the D8B replacement cycle would have cost me.

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    Duojet
    Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1413
    RE: OT-The Economy & Music Purchases 2009/02/14 14:17:42 (permalink)
    great to hear from everyone. sorry about the bad year spacecowboy. I used to spend an average of 400-500 a month, this yr I'm averaging about 100. so far I'm still employed......but the outlook is grim..

Intel Core2Duo e8400
    Abit IP35-E
    4GB Ram
    Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit
    EMU 1820m

DFHS2, BFD2, Battery3, Amplitube2, GuitarRig3, Kontakt4, Ampeg SVX, Line6 PodXT
    space_cowboy
    • Total Posts : 9813
    RE: OT-The Economy & Music Purchases 2009/02/14 15:55:44 (permalink)
    That said, I just bought the Harrison and Little Labs plugs from UAD and the Nugen Vizualizer.

I cant help it. Plugs arent like actually buying something.

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    Fog
    RE: OT-The Economy & Music Purchases 2009/02/15 07:17:23 (permalink)
    Sorry to hear about the job thing. I'm seeing a fair bit on here of late.. Hope you sort it soon.

no one wants to over stock things that aren't selling.. on the other hand, makers sometimes give 6 months credit etc.. so if a company goes under thats stock thats lost in that as well.. very tricky balance. It's the same with all business's at the moment and that confidence isn't there.

edentowers
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1164
    RE: OT-The Economy & Music Purchases 2009/02/15 07:59:31 (permalink)
    My sister in law walked into a local music store last week. Her husband had lost a close friend after a very short illness. She too had been shaken and reflected that it wasn't worth not having some of the things that you longed for if all of a sudden it became too late to do anything about it. Life was for living.

Her husband plays a Squier Strat and felt he couldn't really justify the extra that a real American Strat would cost.

So she marched up to the counter, "Do you have any real American Fender Stratocasters?"
    "Yes Madam, which one were you interested in?"
    "Which one would you have, given the choice? ...OK then I'll take one of those."

So as long as it's not prettier than my Aged Cherry Deluxe I'm very happy for him.

S8PE, Dell XPS 720 (Q6600), XP Pro SP2, Edirol UA-101
    Fog
    RE: OT-The Economy & Music Purchases 2009/02/15 09:07:55 (permalink)
    Phil , you been watching that advert on telly with that annoying dog snowdrop on again

where the blokes mum goes off to oz..haha

we had far less (well I did) years ago and was just as happy. I dated someone ULTRA materialistic for a short while, it was a real eye opener, never again.
    SteveJL
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4644
    RE: OT-The Economy & Music Purchases 2009/02/15 11:05:31 (permalink)
    I'm within a few years of being abale to retire, so have spent that past year holding off GAS purchases so I can reduce my debt-load, then along came the $Crisis and my Portfolio took a serious hit, and I'm now gonna spend a couple of years shoring that back up, so will keep a lid on GAS purchases to all but relatively minor ones.

Fog
    RE: OT-The Economy & Music Purchases 2009/02/15 21:24:37 (permalink)
    Steve the advert I was on about was "equity release" schemes (aka we'll pay you a lot less money than your house is REALLY worth).. they just want a slice of your money for a far smaller percentage.. hhmm people would be better off selling up and down sizing.. My folks are of that age and laugh at that advert, they maybe old but they aren't stupid. Dunno which adverts are worse, those or the ambulance chaser ones or stupid finance ones with OBSCENE interest rates.

post edited by Fog - 2009/02/15 21:30:29
    Crg
    • Total Posts : 7719
    RE: OT-The Economy & Music Purchases 2009/02/15 23:16:39 (permalink)
    It's all due to the credit bank crashes that went below the red line on all those sub prime house notes and the insurance giants that covered and bouight them. Once below the red line they could not legally lend money to the many compnays that use short term credit to meet their payment dates and payroll. One goes down, the people they owe go down, and so on and so on. The stock market take a plunge in trading as a result and the loss on paper gets bigger. Pretty soon it's back to basics, food, power, neccesitys, and the entertainment industry goes up and down with the regional events that relate to the meltdown. Some people will never feel it.

Craig DuBuc
    jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: OT-The Economy & Music Purchases 2009/02/16 00:20:25 (permalink)
    i usually don't buy anything music related unless i am convince it will either help my music sound noticeably better or make it noticeably easier for me to create and record. that doesn't happen too often so not much will change for me. i'll definitely be looking for a taylor 3-series cutaway in the next few months, but otherwise...

- jack the ex-cynic
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: OT-The Economy & Music Purchases 2009/02/16 00:36:05 (permalink)
    Well, I'm going to spend all my stimulant money from the government on music stuff. Man, that $14 a week (before taxes) out of my paycheck might almost buy a CD. If I save up all $400 I might buy ... well, something.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    SongCraft
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3902
    RE: OT-The Economy & Music Purchases 2009/02/16 00:42:46 (permalink)
    I noticed the recession long before Bush admitted it because I have been keeping an eye on the Aussie dollar since I live in the US and get gifts, cards and money from family and friends from downunder! Money? whoa!! What a downturn from downunder, example: the AUD dropped down to around 60.cents therefor the transfer to USD was a big loss for me. If the Aussie dollar falls down to around 50.cents or less then we may as well say we're in a depression. Too much to explain here: basically the AUD sort of reflects the world economy! Check out this site: http://www.xe.com/ucc/ give you an example of how the dollar and other currencies may or may not effect you.

If you're an Aussie living downunder purchasing from an overseas retailer such as a retailer in the US because you can't get a particular product where you live, hmmm be aware of the currency rate of the AUD. I think this alone will cause some musicians to feel pretty darn disappointed and the retailers will be disappointed too.

Oh well! I hope the economy doesn't get way too much worse although it does appear it will get somewhat worse than what it is now.

kennytp
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 22
    RE: OT-The Economy & Music Purchases 2009/02/16 22:10:09 (permalink)
    I firmly believe this will all turnaround, but will take time.

It ain't gonna turn around. This is the beginning of the end. Prepare to meet your mak_ _...(no politics/no religion).
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1