Odd Region FX issue

Author
Lord Tim
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 837
2015/04/01 01:14:59 (permalink)

Odd Region FX issue

Hey guys,

Here's an odd one for me. If I do a Region FX edit (say tuning something with Melodyne), it works as intended. If I bounce down the clip, and then think "ah, I need to do a bit more work on it" then I can no longer get the Region FX to activate. I've noticed that they'll work fine on anything that says "Record nnn" as in tracks that haven't previously been bounced that have filenames, but after a bounce, the name is blank and I can't get anything to work on them.

Just throwing it out there on here first before I head to problem reporting to see if it's just me or not. It seems like something more people would have mentioned if it was widespread. Cheers!

WWW: www.lord.net.au  FB: www.facebook.com/lordtimofficial
Bandlab: www.bandlab.com/lordtim

Cakewalk by Bandlab / DAW: i7 M620 @ 2.67 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Win10 64 Bit [eng], TASCAM US-16x08 @ 5.8ms (22.7ms RTL) ASIO, Behringer UMX61 Keyboard Controller.

27 Replies Related Threads

Keni
    Max Output Level: -17.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5769
    Re: Odd Region FX issue 2015/04/01 03:56:05 (permalink)
    Hi Tim...

Unless I'm mistaken, once you bounce a clip, it creates a new clip replacing the old...

If you want to be able to go back that simply, you need to use Freeze for the track instead though I'm told it's not supposed to be done, it works fine for me when I've done this....

What I more often do is clone the track with all the Melodyne edits and archive/hide the original. Then I apply the processing via bounce to clip on the cloned track. This way I can go back to the archived track to redo any portions, then copy the new data to the cloned track an process it there... Again archiving and hiding the original...

A bit tedious, but I've gotten so used to working this way it's become automatic...

Keni

Keni Fink
    Keni - Facebook
    Deep Space Records
    http://www.reverbnation.com/inexile
    http://www.cdbaby.com/artist/inexile
    Out Of My Head Music (BMI)

SPlat/MacPro/Dual Xeon 3.06GHz 6-core (12 total)/64GB/Win8.1X64/Presonus 1818VSL/Soundscape SS8IO-1
    Lord Tim
    Re: Odd Region FX issue 2015/04/01 08:31:46 (permalink)
    That's a good workaround

I don't understand what could be so different about bounced clips, which are just WAVs at the end of the day, that's not letting Region FX activate. I do suspect this is all on my end though, so it might be time to bite the bullet and do that system upgrade / clean out I've been meaning to do for ages.

Cakewalk by Bandlab / DAW: i7 M620 @ 2.67 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Win10 64 Bit [eng], TASCAM US-16x08 @ 5.8ms (22.7ms RTL) ASIO, Behringer UMX61 Keyboard Controller.
    stickman393
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1528
    Re: Odd Region FX issue 2015/04/01 12:50:41 (permalink)
    This shouldn't need a work-around. Bounce to clip should create a new WAV file that you can then re-apply the RegionFX to.

I mean, obviously you can't open the Editor with the previous clip in it, once you've bounced... but nothing should prevent you from applying the RegionFX over and over again, bouncing in-between.

(Not that I'd recommend this - you'd get accumulated artifacts pretty quickly)

But it should be possible. If you're not able to do this, I'd call it a bug.

Keni
    Re: Odd Region FX issue 2015/04/01 12:54:39 (permalink)
    I'm thinking that the problem here is that you're expecting the region fx to still be in place.

When you bounce to clip it renders the region fx and removes it...

Unless you're trying to create a new region fx of the processed clip and it is failing to do so...? This would be an issue...

Can you talk a bit more about what you're trying to do and expecting?

Keni

Keni Fink
    Keni - Facebook
    Deep Space Records

SPlat/MacPro/Dual Xeon 3.06GHz 6-core (12 total)/64GB/Win8.1X64/Presonus 1818VSL/Soundscape SS8IO-1
    mcstringer413
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 107
    Re: Odd Region FX issue 2015/04/01 13:04:20 (permalink)
    ...or you could just "Undo" the region fx and go back to the original clip and re-do your edits plus the new edits that you want to make. That way you would only have to do one bounce after all the edits are done, keeping any artifacts to a minimum. Of course, this wouldn't be helpful if you made many edits and would be difficult to repeat them all.

Sonar Platinum 2017.7, 64-bit, Studio one Pro 3.5.1, Sweetwater Creation Station (cs400v.3), Win10 Home 64 bit, 3.4GHz  i7-4770, 16GB, 2x 1TB Internal, 1TB external, Focusrite Saffire Pro 26, M-Audio Oxygen 25 Midi Controller, JBL LSR305, KRK KNS 8400, Shure SRH440.
    Lord Tim
    Re: Odd Region FX issue 2015/04/02 03:08:59 (permalink)
    Hey guys,

Let me explain more of what I'm doing, and I'll use Melodyne and a vocal track as the example.

I get my vocal track recorded. On the track, I can clearly see "Record nnn" for each take in the clip header. Nothing on there has been bounced to new clips or anything, just regular recording/edits.

I go through the clip and find certain phrases that might need some pitch correction, so I select that portion and do CTRL+M to load up Melodyne. Adjust as needed. You can clearly see that each one of those clips have Region FX in the clip header.

My machine is getting on a bit (this is being polite to it) so after about 4 or 5 edits, I prefer to go back in and bounce each Region FX clip to a new clip. If I don't do this then SONAR starts to become unstable for me. It's an acceptable workaround for me considering the low specs of the machine.

So I'll have a track which has the named "Record nnn" untouched takes with the bounced sections in there which no longer have any filename in the clip header.

I finish what I'm doing, listen back to the track as a whole and I think "You know, that first clip I adjusted could have been better" so I go to the bounced clip, do CTRL+M to activate Melodyne so that I can do some more work on it.

Things that I'm aware of at this point:

Since it was bounced, this is a NEW clip, so therefore it's got no Region FX on there that are editable (as you would have if you went to re-edit an existing Region FX clip) - I'm treating this as if this is just a regular clip that I want to adjust.

I'm also aware that each edit done like this is a destructive process that will introduce more artefacts and ideally I would still have the un-bounced Region FX clip that I could just re-adjust. I'm not really debating the sound quality of the clip after doing multiple generations of editing like this on it - it's subjective - but more so that I *should be able* to do this stuff if I feel I want to.

If I CTRL+M this clip, Melodyne will attempt to start up, it'll show in the Undo history that I've added Melodyne but nothing actually activates.

How I see it is that if you bounce any clip down to a new clip (either to commit any effects, edits or Region FX to it), that clip should actually be seen by SONAR as just another WAV that you can do further editing to, as if it was a recorded WAV rather than a bounced one.

But what I'm experiencing is that any bounced clip that no longer has a "Record nnn" name will fail to activate any new instances of Region FX when you try to add them.

As I mentioned, I really do suspect this is isolated to my machine, so if someone would like to give this a go to see if it works as intended for you, that'd be awesome 

mcstringer413
    Re: Odd Region FX issue 2015/04/02 13:00:49 (permalink)
    yeah, I here you. I do this all the time, the exact process you just described. I always bounce down my melodyne clips to a new wav, and then later, if needed, I go back and open Melodyne again to do further edits on the same clip, with no problems. You should be able to do that without a problem. I do remember that happening once or twice in Sonar X3e. I don't remember what I did to work around it. I think I wasn't too much farther along in my editing, so I could go back and undo the region fx and open Melodyne and redo the original edits, plus the new ones I needed to do.  Sorry, not sure what advice to give you at this point.

Sonar Platinum 2017.7, 64-bit, Studio one Pro 3.5.1, Sweetwater Creation Station (cs400v.3), Win10 Home 64 bit, 3.4GHz  i7-4770, 16GB, 2x 1TB Internal, 1TB external, Focusrite Saffire Pro 26, M-Audio Oxygen 25 Midi Controller, JBL LSR305, KRK KNS 8400, Shure SRH440.
    Keni
    Re: Odd Region FX issue 2015/04/02 13:45:26 (permalink)
    Lord Tim
    Hey guys,

Let me explain more of what I'm doing, and I'll use Melodyne and a vocal track as the example.

I get my vocal track recorded. On the track, I can clearly see "Record nnn" for each take in the clip header. Nothing on there has been bounced to new clips or anything, just regular recording/edits.

I go through the clip and find certain phrases that might need some pitch correction, so I select that portion and do CTRL+M to load up Melodyne. Adjust as needed. You can clearly see that each one of those clips have Region FX in the clip header.

My machine is getting on a bit (this is being polite to it) so after about 4 or 5 edits, I prefer to go back in and bounce each Region FX clip to a new clip. If I don't do this then SONAR starts to become unstable for me. It's an acceptable workaround for me considering the low specs of the machine.

So I'll have a track which has the named "Record nnn" untouched takes with the bounced sections in there which no longer have any filename in the clip header.

I finish what I'm doing, listen back to the track as a whole and I think "You know, that first clip I adjusted could have been better" so I go to the bounced clip, do CTRL+M to activate Melodyne so that I can do some more work on it.

Things that I'm aware of at this point:

Since it was bounced, this is a NEW clip, so therefore it's got no Region FX on there that are editable (as you would have if you went to re-edit an existing Region FX clip) - I'm treating this as if this is just a regular clip that I want to adjust.

I'm also aware that each edit done like this is a destructive process that will introduce more artefacts and ideally I would still have the un-bounced Region FX clip that I could just re-adjust. I'm not really debating the sound quality of the clip after doing multiple generations of editing like this on it - it's subjective - but more so that I *should be able* to do this stuff if I feel I want to.

If I CTRL+M this clip, Melodyne will attempt to start up, it'll show in the Undo history that I've added Melodyne but nothing actually activates.

How I see it is that if you bounce any clip down to a new clip (either to commit any effects, edits or Region FX to it), that clip should actually be seen by SONAR as just another WAV that you can do further editing to, as if it was a recorded WAV rather than a bounced one.

But what I'm experiencing is that any bounced clip that no longer has a "Record nnn" name will fail to activate any new instances of Region FX when you try to add them.

As I mentioned, I really do suspect this is isolated to my machine, so if someone would like to give this a go to see if it works as intended for you, that'd be awesome 

Ok... I'll try to do this tonight when I have access... Yes, it should be able to open the new clip as a Melodyne region... Though it would not have your old Melodyne edits available...

I think I would opt to freeze the track instead of bouncing the clips at this point, then bounce the clips after I'm happy with them all... Freeze dies work for this (afaik) though people have told me I'm not supposed to do this... At least that way your edits are still available and you don't have to repeat them... Or as I mentioned earlier, i clone the melodyned track then archive and hide it so I can return to the edits.... My preference these days...

Keni

Keni Fink
    Keni - Facebook
    Deep Space Records

Sanderxpander
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3873
    Re: Odd Region FX issue 2015/04/02 13:51:19 (permalink)
    You mentioned that the new clip has no name? I'm just wondering if this is part of the problem, perhaps causing ARA to fail. If you give the clip a name, will it work?
    Still don't know why it ends up nameless in the first place, I haven't checked if it does for me...
    Keni
    Re: Odd Region FX issue 2015/04/02 13:57:08 (permalink)
    I seem to remember that bounced clips appear with no name and I'm guessing that is to avoid confusion with the original... Though I would think an edited name with a marking to show it is a modified version would be a more elegant solution?

Keni Fink
    Keni - Facebook
    Deep Space Records

Zargg
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10666
    Re: Odd Region FX issue 2015/04/02 18:29:31 (permalink)
    I would agree with Keni. I would use the "freeze track" button. That way you could always ""un - freeze" the tracks if needed.

Ken Nilsen
    Zargg
    BBZ
    Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
    Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

Lord Tim
    Re: Odd Region FX issue 2015/04/03 00:45:20 (permalink)
    The workarounds (archived original in case I need to get access to unmodified files and frozen effected track) are great, but they're definitely things that can slow a session down dramatically when you're doing a lot of tuning work.

If I've got, say, 50 takes of a backing vocal choir that I'm tightening things up on, and I'm working through each layer to see what needs fixing (if anything - choirs are often best left untuned) then this is something that'd take forever to archive/freeze when it should be a case of "let's fix this quickly" and not worry that what you're doing is the last opportunity you have to work on it in that manner.

The other thing is too, if I've finished working on a tuned lead vocal track and I've bounced it all down, and then decide to do a vocal double and use VocalSync to tighten the timing up, then I'm kind of stuck if Region FX is busted.

Semi-related to this: I'm actually surprised that bounced clips have no name. Is that a normal thing? I've never noticed that before. It would make sense that it should say SOMETHING in there (Record nnn (bounced) or something?)

Anyway, really hoping this is just my installation that's the problem rather than a bug or a design choice because it's a bit annoying.
    post edited by Lord Tim - 2015/04/03 00:52:29

Sanderxpander
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3873
    Re: Odd Region FX issue 2015/04/03 02:59:04 (permalink)
    I've definitely re-Melodyned bounced clips (though like you I obviously try to avoid having to) so it's not a "general bug".
    mcstringer413
    Re: Odd Region FX issue 2015/04/03 12:42:51 (permalink)
    yeah, I've noticed since Melodyne was introduced with Sonar, that bounced Melodyne clips never had a name. i got in the habit of re-naming them right away so I could identify them correctly.

Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2819
    Re: Odd Region FX issue 2015/04/03 15:08:02 (permalink)
    Hi!

I've had something similar happening today but haven't had to the time to follow up / test again ...

I used the new "Vocal Sync" on 2 lead vox tracks ... worked fine ... then I clicked the "Render" button on the "Vocal Sync" GUI and it bounced the clips (I usually used freeze/unfreeze up to now but thought if the button is there I give it go) ... then continued mixing but later could not get another instance of VocalSync to open on any of the BackVox tracks (i.e. which only had original recorded clips but no edits s far) ...

Anyone seen something like that? Anyone can reproduce this is in a small project???

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
      +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
    Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
    VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
    Lord Tim
    Re: Odd Region FX issue 2015/04/04 03:05:41 (permalink)
    Just tested it then.

The rendered VocalSync file does indeed lose its clip name, however I'm able to start a new instance of VocalSync on it.

I'm NOT able to get Melodyne to activate on it though. If I undo back until it was its original Record nnn clip name, any Region FX works as expected.

Really weird!

Lord Tim
    Re: Odd Region FX issue 2015/04/04 03:11:06 (permalink)
    Further testing - it appears only Melodyne is affected for me. VocalSync works on bounced Melodyne clips too.

And here's the big one (and a workaround!) - if I go into the clip properties and actually give the unnamed clip a name, Melodyne does indeed activate correctly after it's been bounced.

So a test for you, FreeFlyBertl: Try using VocalSync as you would normally do, render it, and then on that newly rendered clip, double click it to open up the properties in the Clip Inspector and then give it a name. Then try and VocalSync the rendered clip again. I suspect it'll work. 

EDIT: Sanderxpander - you nailed it in your earlier reply, re: naming the clip. I must have missed that in all of the other replies! 

post edited by Lord Tim - 2015/04/04 03:20:10

jb101
    Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2946
    Re: Odd Region FX issue 2015/04/04 05:22:35 (permalink)
    I guess there is a reason that bounced clips don't have a name. What would you call it if you bounced several clips together into one clip, which I often do?

Best to leave it blank, IMO, and leave it up to the user.

Sonar Platinum
    Lord Tim
    Re: Odd Region FX issue 2015/04/04 05:26:29 (permalink)
    Sure, but following that logic why name recorded takes either? To me it'd make more sense to come up with a naming convention much like each recorded take has, eg: TrackName (Bounced nnn)

stickman393
    Re: Odd Region FX issue 2015/04/05 18:23:06 (permalink)
    Hey, Lord Tim - this just happened to me! Or a variation on it:

I have a set of double-tracked vocals. I decided to use VocalSynch, for kicks. Worked fine until I got to a set in which I had "bounce to clip" for whatever reason, I don't remember. But the clips had no name (that's how I know I bounced to clip at some point in the recent past).

Anyway, for these clips, VocalSynch refuses to "open the editor" or "create the FX Region" or whatever you want to call it. I get the progress bar; the clip flashes, then I'm left back in the Track View with no FX Region, and no editor window.

(By "editor window" I just mean the floating control panel with the "intensity" knob.) 

If I try a second time, same thing.

If I use the Inspector to give the clip a name, it makes no difference. Still no editor.

I then saved then entire project to another folder and closed and re-opened SONAR. I successfully opened a V-Vocal "region FX" and made an edit. But VocalSync refuses to open on this clip. I have no idea why.

Keni
    Re: Odd Region FX issue 2015/04/05 19:35:52 (permalink)
    I'm gonna make a wild guess that the region fx look for a clip name, thereby they won't open when they can't find the name...

I'll see if I can test that here tonight too... If this is so, good catch!

Bug it up in the Problem a Reporter as well as post the recipe and workaround in the bug forum...

Good job Tim!

Keni

Keni Fink
    Keni - Facebook
    Deep Space Records

Anderton
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Odd Region FX issue 2015/04/05 20:10:08 (permalink)
    FWIW I think the reason bounced clips aren't named is because if you bounce multiple clips, the program won't know which of the clip names to adopt. But I can't think of any reason why you wouldn't want an individual bounced track to retain its existing name.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    stickman393
    Re: Odd Region FX issue 2015/04/05 23:25:48 (permalink)
    The problem - or my version of it, at least - has nothing to do with the clip name. I have clips created the same way that have no name, and VocalSync works on them.

I've been trying to simplify my project to the smallest possible complexity to reproduce the problem, but at some point, I went too far, and the clip-under-scrutiny started allowing VocalSync to work.

Unfortunately I did not make interim backups, so I'm doing the process again, checking at each point and saving the project. Now Sonar has "stopped working and looking for a solution" so this may take longer than I hoped.
    stickman393
    Re: Odd Region FX issue 2015/04/05 23:52:51 (permalink)
    I've reproduced this issue by reducing the size of my project to minimum, and attaching it to newly submitted problem report, CWBRN-32387.
    Lord Tim
    Re: Odd Region FX issue 2015/04/06 02:50:36 (permalink)
    It's an odd bug, this one.

Obviously some people are able to get Melodyne to work with unnamed clips, while I can't, and I'm quite successfully using VocalSync even with unnamed clips while others aren't. There's got to be something that's triggering these different scenarios. Very weird!

Craig - I definitely get what you're saying about what each clip should be named, but I do think it should be named *something* rather than just being blank. Even internally, SONAR names bounced clips in the Audio folder (eg: ProjectName,TrackName,Mix-nnn kind of thing), so I think something based on the track name and what iteration of bounce you've done is a good compromise as I mentioned earlier, if you're bouncing multiple clips. If nothing else, it's just one more thing that makes it easier to identify what you've done rather than having to adjust stuff manually.

Keni
    Re: Odd Region FX issue 2015/04/06 03:43:21 (permalink)
    Anderton
    FWIW I think the reason bounced clips aren't named is because if you bounce multiple clips, the program won't know which of the clip names to adopt. But I can't think of any reason why you wouldn't want an individual bounced track to retain its existing name.

I wouldn't want it to retain its exact name. I would like something that lets me know how/why it's different than the original clip of that name...

Keni Fink
    Keni - Facebook
    Deep Space Records

Lord Tim
    Re: Odd Region FX issue 2015/04/06 08:20:51 (permalink)
    I've started a feature request thread about this: http://forum.cakewalk.com...r-bounce-m3202902.aspx

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1