Off Topic: But still audio related. Need help!

Author
DJ Darkside
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 565
2007/05/09 14:21:22 (permalink)

Off Topic: But still audio related. Need help!

Hi everyone,

I went to a group discussion last night and I brought along one of those digital audio recorders... nothing expensive just a $60.00 one that I got at Radio Shack. Anyway, I promised everyone in the discussion that I would have a download of the discussion available for them from my website and I wanted to get some advice from everyone here... Well, at least some general tips.

I would like to remove some hiss and pops and click from the recording and bring up the overall levels as well. The speakers is also a bit soft in the recording so I was thinking maybe just to split the tracks when she speaks and raise the volume level??? Then in the end maybe apply some compression or a limiter but I don't want to make toomuch room noise present. I don't need spectacular quality at all but I would like it to be easy to hear without using headphones.

Would anyone be able to give me a few pointers here on what steps I should take in the particular order? I would greatly appreciate this because I want to try have this up on my site by the end of the day. Thanks in advance,

Mark Liebrand
DJ Darkside 2001-20xx 
www.djdarkside.com
-------------------------------------------------------
Running: Windows 10 64 bit, Sonar Platinum, Ableton Live, Novation Impulse, Native Instruments Maschine, a few mics, 1963 Fender Strat, a Fender Jazz Bass and some secret weapons... EQ and Compression.

7 Replies Related Threads

jinga8
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5817
    RE: Off Topic: But still audio related. Need help! 2007/05/09 14:27:33 (permalink)
    You could try a gate, playing with the threshold level (or Remove Silence). Then gentle compression to even out any peaks, followed by some limiting (the gate or remove silence will have made this less noisy) to get it up to a good level. Also, a highpass and/or (probably and) lowpass filter (Sonitus eq or whatever you prefer) can eliminate some non-vocal stuff (rumble, hiss, background noise) - before the limiting, though. There is no magic formula, but judicious application of these tools should give you what you want.
    DJ Darkside
    RE: Off Topic: But still audio related. Need help! 2007/05/09 14:29:40 (permalink)
    Jinga8,

Thank you for the quick response on this. I will try what you said and see what results I get. Thanks again!!!

Mark Liebrand
    DJ Darkside 2001-20xx 
    www.djdarkside.com
    Running: Windows 10 64 bit, Sonar Platinum, Ableton Live, Novation Impulse, Native Instruments Maschine, a few mics, 1963 Fender Strat, a Fender Jazz Bass and some secret weapons... EQ and Compression.
    Roflcopter
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: Off Topic: But still audio related. Need help! 2007/05/09 14:40:05 (permalink)
    Well since this is a quick-and-dirty job with a deadline in a few hrs, I would suggest not getting into highflying stuff with sonar, but just get audacity, and do a very quick and dirty destructive-be-darned job, replacing all the noise, hiss and crackle with silence, and gently amplify those bits that need a bit more volume. It lets you do this in a few minutes, and THEN import it into sonar maybe for things jinga8 described, if time allows, and your not actually pleasantly surprised by the gains already. Just work on a backup, ofcourse.

Sorry for singing out of choir, but tools are just that, I don't use anything more complicated than the job at hand, especially when I'm pressed for time and have no time for experiments or 'learning experiences'. Nice for lost weekends, those, not for deadlines.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
    post edited by Roflcopter - 2007/05/09 14:44:36

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
    DJ Darkside
    RE: Off Topic: But still audio related. Need help! 2007/05/09 14:59:36 (permalink)
    Roflcopter,

Thanks for the fast response time here as well... I appreciate the input ont this! I printed out what you both said and will be getting started on it here shortly. I will also check out Audacity, is that a freebee? Thanks again!

Mark Liebrand
    DJ Darkside 2001-20xx 
    www.djdarkside.com
    jinga8
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5817
    RE: Off Topic: But still audio related. Need help! 2007/05/09 15:05:24 (permalink)
    I would suggest not getting into highflying stuff with sonar

A gate, compressor, HP and LP filters and limiter are highflying stuff? Geez, I thought these were the tools of "Quick and Easy Editing 101"... Sorry to throw such crazy audio trickeration at the poor soul, I probably lost him at "threshold"... (and the only Sonar related thing I mentioned was Remove Silence, which I didn't go into)
    post edited by jinga8 - 2007/05/09 15:09:02
    Roflcopter
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: Off Topic: But still audio related. Need help! 2007/05/09 15:21:36 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: DSProductionz

Roflcopter,

Thanks for the fast response time here as well... I appreciate the input ont this! I printed out what you both said and will be getting started on it here shortly. I will also check out Audacity, is that a freebee? Thanks again!

Yeah, it's free. It's pretty highly valued, even in 'serious' circles, especially because it's lightweight + adaptable, and great for quick jobs.

Yeah jinga, guess we should beware of assuming too much familiarity with the jargon, for one, let alone how to do it with Sonar - fast

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
    DJ Darkside
    RE: Off Topic: But still audio related. Need help! 2007/05/09 17:56:15 (permalink)
    rofl,

I guess I should have checked the link before I asked the question. I just downloaded it and I will check itout when I get home...

Mark Liebrand
    DJ Darkside 2001-20xx 
    www.djdarkside.com
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1