Helpful ReplyOfficial channel for bug reporting?

Author
Euthymia
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 223
2018/07/04 01:25:51 (permalink)

Official channel for bug reporting?

I've been working with the program long enough now to have spotted some reproducible bugs that I'd like to report.

Right now, one is from the Help menu, I select Documentation and get a web page that says:
Error.An error occurred while processing your request.Which is kinda ooky for new users.

I'm also a veteran of a few beta programs, including one for another DAW, and worked as a pro software QA engineer for many years and am interested in possibly participating in a beta program if there is one.

-Erik
Warning: if you tell me my issue can be remedied by buying more RAM, an SSD, or a Waves plug-in, I will troll you pitiilessly
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Official channel for bug reporting? 2018/07/04 01:48:34 (permalink)
I have already reported this.

For future reference, use the support form to report issues. Although, consider posting here first to avoid duplication. Multiple reports can slow help response and do not result in faster resolution.

Fortunately, the help is still accessible just not from inside CbB. It is kind of a pain for some things though such as help for specific screens.
gmp
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1033
Re: Official channel for bug reporting? 2018/07/04 06:18:00 (permalink)
I copied the last Splat help file and put it in the CbB folder. So now I have local help

Gerry Peters
Midi Magic Studio
http://gprecordingstudio.com/
Album Productions and Songwriter Resources
Cakewalk By Bandlab, Platinum 64 + 32 bit, Studiocat AsRock Z97 motherboard, Haswell CPU 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM 16GB DDR3/1600, Windows 10 Pro all updates including optional, MOTU AVB Ultralite sound card/Midi interface/Dig mixer, onboard Video HD4600. Midisport 2x2 midi interface, Vienna Instruments, Ivory II piano, Komplete 9, Superior drummer. 5 HD's - OS drive 250GB SSD, Samples drive 1 500GB SSD,  3 data HDs - total of 6.5T
lapasoa
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 193
Re: Official channel for bug reporting? 2018/07/04 06:41:45 (permalink)
Be kind and explain how you you copied the Splat help file.
Euthymia
Re: Official channel for bug reporting? 2018/07/04 06:46:09 (permalink)
Thanks. It's such a fat one, I figured that it was in your bugbase already.

I'm not asking for my sake as someone who's frustrated and needs assistance with a workaround so much as I am asking what would be better from a standpoint of helping out and making a contribution.

Just tonight, for instance, I was working on a project and hovered my cursor over button up at the top that was labeled with a capital "M" and a tooltip popped up and said "Enable/Bypass Plug-In Upsampling"

I thought "M" an odd mnemonic for such a function but decided to click it and see if I could hear a difference in my mix. Wow, did I ever!

-Erik
Warning: if you tell me my issue can be remedied by buying more RAM, an SSD, or a Waves plug-in, I will troll you pitiilessly
scook
Forum Host
Re: Official channel for bug reporting? 2018/07/04 06:54:49 (permalink)
Euthymia
I figured that it was in your bugbase already.

To be clear, it is not my "bugbase." I am not a BandLab or former Cakewalk employee.
bapu
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Official channel for bug reporting? 2018/07/04 17:37:09 (permalink)
scook

I am not a BandLab or former Cakewalk employee.

Put that in your signature?
scook
Forum Host
Re: Official channel for bug reporting? 2018/07/05 19:03:21 (permalink)
Euthymia
Right now, one is from the Help menu, I select Documentation and get a web page that says:
Error.An error occurred while processing your request.

fixed
Euthymia
Re: Official channel for bug reporting? 2018/08/06 11:40:10 (permalink)
scook
Euthymia
I figured that it was in your bugbase already.

To be clear, it is not my "bugbase." I am not a BandLab or former Cakewalk employee.

Thanks for the clarification, but you do kinda front like you are one. You answered my question about an "official" channel for bug reporting and all. I mean, I got the impression....

By way of further clarification, I can see that your are a "Forum Host," and since you fielded my question, what does that mean? Should I (and anyone else who reads this forum) take what you say as Official Word From BandLab?

-Erik
scook
Forum Host
Re: Official channel for bug reporting? 2018/08/06 13:10:45 (permalink)
I can avoid your "official" questions if you prefer. I have been very clear about my status on this forum many times including this thread.

A forum host is a user (not a BandLab employee) who has a few extra permissions on this forum. The position was created a few years ago when the old company needed help maintaining the forum.

My informational posts on this forum carry no more weight that any other user. That said, I am pretty familiar with the software and how support/dev work.

I had already encountered the problem mentioned in the OP and reported it. This is why I posted in this thread.

Euthymia
Re: Official channel for bug reporting? 2018/08/06 14:57:24 (permalink)
scook
I can avoid your "official" questions if you prefer. I have been very clear about my status on this forum many times including this thread.

A forum host is a user (not a BandLab employee) who has a few extra permissions on this forum. The position was created a few years ago when the old company needed help maintaining the forum.

My informational posts on this forum carry no more weight that any other user. That said, I am pretty familiar with the software and how support/dev work.

I had already encountered the problem mentioned in the OP and reported it. This is why I posted in this thread.

It's all good, I'm just trying to find my way around here and contribute as best I can.

You said what your position is not, not what your position is, which is why I asked you to elaborate.

Forgive me any dimwittedness or n00bitude. The only reason I have access to this forum is because I happened to take advantage of a free offer on a plug-in a couple of years ago, so I don't really know my way around.

I wasn't running SONAR or any Cakewalk product after 2002, which is probably why my shoulders are so chipless relative to those of certain others here. I wasn't subjected to the trauma, only the joyous rebirth. I checked to see if my username and password were still good back in April, and lo and behold, they worked and here I am. I seem to be about the only person posting on here who is 100% new to Cakewalk/SONAR.

I'm kinda over the moon pinch-me-I-must-be-dreaming about getting Cakewalk By BandLab for free and would love to volunteer some of my software QA skills, either as a beta tester or at least someone who can file bug reports. There seems to be no beta program yet, not one that I can find, anyway. If you tell me that help desk tickets are the friendliest way to submit a detailed step-by-step reproducible bug report, then I'll give it a shot.

Thanks for the info.

-Erik
Funkfingers
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 42
Re: Official channel for bug reporting? 2018/08/07 08:21:43 (permalink)
Why is my paid for Rapture Pro suddenly in Demo mode?
Tried to do a offline activation but it failed.

My name is Hans but I'm still Funkfingers after all these years.
Meng
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 96
Re: Official channel for bug reporting? 2018/08/07 08:54:53 (permalink)
Hey guys,

support @ cakewalk.com

is the official email address and 

https://help.cakewalk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

will also forward into our central ticket system!
gmp
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1033
Re: Official channel for bug reporting? 2018/08/07 15:56:04 (permalink)
lapasoa
Be kind and explain how you you copied the Splat help file.

Sorry laposoa I just saw your post. The Splat help file is named SONAR.CHM and is in C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\SONAR Platinum  Copy it to C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core  Choose preferences and make sure "use local documentation" is checked. Now when you choose Help from the menu, it will pop up.

Gerry Peters
Midi Magic Studio
http://gprecordingstudio.com/
Album Productions and Songwriter Resources
Cakewalk By Bandlab, Platinum 64 + 32 bit, Studiocat AsRock Z97 motherboard, Haswell CPU 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM 16GB DDR3/1600, Windows 10 Pro all updates including optional, MOTU AVB Ultralite sound card/Midi interface/Dig mixer, onboard Video HD4600. Midisport 2x2 midi interface, Vienna Instruments, Ivory II piano, Komplete 9, Superior drummer. 5 HD's - OS drive 250GB SSD, Samples drive 1 500GB SSD,  3 data HDs - total of 6.5T
scook
Forum Host
Re: Official channel for bug reporting? 2018/08/07 16:11:01 (permalink)
gmp
Choose preferences and make sure "use local documentation" is checked.

"Always Use Local Help" was removed from Preferences > File > Advanced in CbB. The registry entry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\Cakewalk\Core\UseOnlyOfflineHelp does still control the feature for now. Set to 1 CbB tries to load SONAR.chm from the Cakewalk Core program folder.

Since the option was removed from preferences, the function may be removed from the program without notice.

Using context search with the old SONAR.chm may return unexpected results. It is possible to add the old chm and pdf to the utilities menu.

To restore web-based help option set the registry entry to 0 (zero).

Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
Cakewalk Staff
  • Total Posts : 6475
Re: Official channel for bug reporting? 2018/08/07 16:27:19 (permalink)
scook

Sometimes I forget that :)

Noel Borthwick
Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
paulo
Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6218
Re: Official channel for bug reporting? 2018/08/07 19:36:47 (permalink)
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
scook

Sometimes I forget that :)

Perhaps the new version of this forum should just be called "Ask scook". Might as well be. What he doesn't know from a users perspective isn't worth knowing. 
Paul G
Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2334
Re: Official channel for bug reporting? 2018/08/13 12:36:32 (permalink)
scook
gmp
Choose preferences and make sure "use local documentation" is checked.

"Always Use Local Help" was removed from Preferences > File > Advanced in CbB. The registry entry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\Cakewalk\Core\UseOnlyOfflineHelp does still control the feature for now. Set to 1 CbB tries to load SONAR.chm from the Cakewalk Core program folder.

Since the option was removed from preferences, the function may be removed from the program without notice.

Using context search with the old SONAR.chm may return unexpected results. It is possible to add the old chm and pdf to the utilities menu.

To restore web-based help option set the registry entry to 0 (zero).

Thanks Steve.  More information on this would be greatly appreciated. 

If CbB accesses the old Sonar help files, these would not contain any of the new fixes/features of CbB correct?
Is on-line help the recommended option?  I try to keep my DAW offline except when DL patches etc.

Thanks much!

Paul

Intel i7-4790K, Win7 Pro, 16GB Ram
1TB OS, 2TB Audio, 1TB Samples
Focusrite Scarlett 6i6
Cakewalk by Bandlab
Paul Robert Glaser
The Brothers Glaser
SoundClick
scook
Forum Host
Re: Official channel for bug reporting? 2018/08/13 13:32:34 (permalink)
Paul G
If CbB accesses the old Sonar help files, these would not contain any of the new fixes/features of CbB correct?

yes

Paul G
Is on-line help the recommended option?

It is the only option at the moment. This was discussed in another thread and there was a mention of possibly making the html available for download. I have not tried but suppose one could do it now with wget. Aside from the monthly CbB releases, the transition seems to be moving very slow. Not sure where alternatives to web based help is on the to do list if at all.
Paul G
Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2334
Re: Official channel for bug reporting? 2018/08/13 17:29:21 (permalink)
scook
Paul G

yes

Paul G
Is on-line help the recommended option?

It is the only option at the moment. This was discussed in another thread and there was a mention of possibly making the html available for download. I have not tried but suppose one could do it now with wget. Aside from the monthly CbB releases, the transition seems to be moving very slow. Not sure where alternatives to web based help is on the to do list if at all.

Thanks!

Intel i7-4790K, Win7 Pro, 16GB Ram
1TB OS, 2TB Audio, 1TB Samples
Focusrite Scarlett 6i6
Cakewalk by Bandlab
Paul Robert Glaser
The Brothers Glaser
SoundClick
imaband2
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 21
Re: Official channel for bug reporting? 2018/11/10 21:03:27 (permalink)
Hi,

Someone referred me to this post as the "Bandlab Support" link. So this is not a bug report but it's all I have. I simply need to activate the MP3 Encoder in my SONAR X3 product. I'd even by more than happy to pay for it again! Can someone PLEASE help me solve this or refer me to someone who can. 

Thanks,
Jeff
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Official channel for bug reporting? 2018/11/10 21:24:48 (permalink)
imaband2
Hi,

Someone referred me to this post as the "Bandlab Support" link. So this is not a bug report but it's all I have. I simply need to activate the MP3 Encoder in my SONAR X3 product. I'd even by more than happy to pay for it again! Can someone PLEASE help me solve this or refer me to someone who can. 

Thanks,
Jeff

Cakewalk released the MP3 encoder for free when the patent expired.  Every version of Sonar has included this since April 2017. Doubt that this page is still functional, but it contains the announcement:  https://www.cakewalk.com/MP3

Cakewalk by BandLab also has MP3 export, and the DAW is free, and currently is the only supported version of Cakewalk.  It is an excellent upgrade from Sonar X3 and Platinum, so is definitely worth checking out.  http://www.cakewalk.com/D...p=Introduction.30.html

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
scook
Forum Host
Re: Official channel for bug reporting? 2018/11/10 21:37:41 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jimfogle 2018/11/11 02:15:29
imaband2

In your thread http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3789072
I posted reply http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3790081
Which pointed to msg #13 in this thread, an official statement about how to contact BandLab support.
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1