Offset for Midi recording?

Author
bgewin
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31
2016/12/20 10:01:25 (permalink)

Offset for Midi recording?

Under Preference, Audio, Sync and Caching, Record Latency Adjustment (samples), there's a "Manual Offset" setting used for compensating for delay when recording audio. I need a similar offset for my midi recording. Is there such a setting? I don't see it under Preferences, MIDI. All my midi notes end up slightly AHEAD of where I play them!!

8 Replies Related Threads

pinguinotuerto
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 976
    Re: Offset for Midi recording? 2016/12/20 10:29:25 (permalink)
    Yes there is. it's under Synch and Caching- Synchronization- Timing Offset. For years I didn't know it affected where MIDI lands on the timeline because it appears to be for something else, but it does.  It solved the issue I and many others were having with MIDI landing early in relation to audio.

HP DV7-3085 Laptop (Intel Core i7 720 1.6 GHZ, 6 GB RAM, 1333 MHZ FSB, 2 500GB 7200 RPM Internal HDs, 17" screen), HP 2009m Monitor, 2TB Ext Drive
    Line 6 UX8 with PodFarm 2 Platinum

2 Joe Meek VC6Q British Channels
    Sonar Platinum & X3e Producer (64 Bit)

AD2 w Roland V-Drums (TD4KX2)
    Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit)

KRK VXT 8 Monitors
    Frontier Alphatrack, Razer Naga Mouse, nanoKontrol2

bgewin
    Re: Offset for Midi recording? 2017/01/14 17:22:46 (permalink)
    Thanks pinguin - the real bummer about this is that there's not a separate parameter for midi vs. analog audio! I need the offset for my firewire analog audio interface, but for my usb-connected keyboard controller I need a different value (possibly 0).

Cakewalk guys -- is there a way to work up a separate offset value for midi vs. audio?
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Offset for Midi recording? 2017/01/14 17:27:52 (permalink)
    Are you confusing the Timing Offset with the Manual Offset? They are on the same page.
    Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: Offset for Midi recording? 2017/01/14 17:33:32 (permalink)
    Using ASIO drivers I do not have to adjust offset. The driver reports to Sonar the latency and Sonar uses " reported Latency" 
    I've run loopback tests and with ASIO my tracks are bang on. It is when you use drivers other than ASIO then you will certainly have to use the manual offset.  
    And as far as midi goes pretty easy to deal with it in PRV,  drag it.  

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Anonymungus!
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 259
    Re: Offset for Midi recording? 2017/01/14 18:17:22 (permalink)
    Just another note - with MIDI tracks, if you open the Inspector (Pro-Channel) and look down to the bottom right, there is a Key offset & a Time offset. I've never tried it with recording, but it certainly works on playback.

Sonar Platinum x64 Lifetime, Windows 10 x64, Intel Quad Core CPU@3.40GHz, 8GB RAM, (2)1.5T Hard Drives, Presonus AudioBox 44VSL, Roland A-500Pro MIDI Controller & lots more stuff

brundlefly
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re: Offset for Midi recording? 2017/01/15 03:02:16 (permalink)
    bgewin
    the real bummer about this is that there's not a separate parameter for midi vs. analog audio! I need the offset for my firewire analog audio interface, but for my usb-connected keyboard controller I need a different value (possibly 0).

Not sure what you're saying here. Timing Offset (not to be confused with Manual Offset as noted) shifts the M:B:T grid against the audio clock. This affects the timing of MIDI going in and out of hardware ports vs. audio (including the audio metronome), which is why it works to correct a MIDI-recording alignment problem when recording to the audio metronome. Most interfaces don't have this issue; I've never figured out why some do.

On playback, SONAR handles MIDI driven soft synth audio just like recorded audio; it's buffered up in advance, and won't be affected by Timing Offset. Only hardware synths will be affected by Timing Offset. If you don't use them, it's safe to use Timing Offset to correct MIDI recording issue. If you do use hardware synths, having a large positive Timing Offset to address the recording problem will cause problems with hardware synth timing on playback.

SONAR Platinum x64, 2x MOTU 2408/PCIe-424  (24-bit, 48kHz)
    Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
    bgewin
    Re: Offset for Midi recording? 2017/10/26 04:25:20 (permalink)
    So this thread's gotten cold, but I appreciate the help, folks.

My solution was to abandon my USB keyboard controller and use a MIDI-connected controller with my sound interface. I don't have the problem with timing this way.

It would be really nice to have a separate time compensation for each device. The midi notes I record with my midi keyboard connected through my audio + midi interface get recorded into sonar correctly, while midi notes recorded through my USB keyboard are recorded early. 
    Cactus Music
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: Offset for Midi recording? 2017/10/26 18:36:48 (permalink)
    So once again, like I said in the other thread ,, midi drivers are important!  So what happened to you was your USB midi drivers, if there were any to begin with, were pourly written, and just like a pourly written audio driver you get sync issues. You switched to your audio interface which has proper midi drivers, problem solved. 

You should never have to mess with manual offset adjustments if the audio or midi driver is doing it's job. 

I have a feeling this is another W10 issue where we find a lot of gear now doesn't come with drivers for W10. The web site will just tell you that W10 will deal with it and use a generic driver. 

I just ran into this with a Printer I have that I use for CD printing. Worked great with XP and W7 because it had a install disk, It won't fully work under W10 because W10 rejects the Install disk and installs a printer driver it downloads.  Problem is there is no driver to make the CD printing tray work under W10. The Epson web site say's the printer is supported by W10 but say's driver will be automaticly installed so no software on the site. 
    I also had my G force Video card stop running in dual screen because w10 had overwritten the factory driver. 
    So this song and dance is true of many manufactures who don't take the time to update drivers. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1