Helpful ReplyOften Play will not stop-Must force close

Author
Benevolentmutation
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18
2018/11/11 20:10:01 (permalink)

Often Play will not stop-Must force close

This is a tricky one. It can happen at random times for no known reason. During playback, Recording and anytime that required the press of the play button this will suddenly cause an error where you are forced to use the bandlab assistant or Task Manager to force close Cakewalk by Bandlab because it will continuously play with no audio and you can not do anything to stop it. You can not close the session, or exit from the menu it will just be frozen. You CAN save your work and force close the application. The midi icon in the task bar remains active, thus you must open cakewalk again and exit from the menu to close it out, which then I will use the BL assistant to open up Cbb once more. Sometimes even after this process, after opening the session again and pressing play it will do the whole thing again, and thus the process is repeated until it works as it should once more. Does anyone out there know what might be causing this to happen? I run a Dell laptop with an i7 intel with 8 GB ram. I know it's not the computer because other software like Reaper never crashes or gives me any issues. This is a Cbb situation. Any feedback or article suggestion will be much appreciated! Thank you.

Windows 10 Home 64 bit X64 based processor
Intel i7-3537U CPU @ 2.00 GHz 2.50 GHz
RAM 8.00 GB (7.88 GB usable)

jimfogle
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 463
Re: Often Play will not stop-Must force close 2018/11/14 00:40:43 (permalink)
+1 (1)
Your problem reads like some process is forcing CbB to remain open.  I'd open task manager and let it run in the background until the problem pops up then start closing processes one at a time until you can identify the offending process.

If you haven't played with Task Manager very much you may want to open the application prior to opening CbB, click on the process tab, maximize to full screen and then press "PrntScr" to take one or more screenshot(s) as needed of what processes your computer uses while idle.  (Note that pressing "PrntScr" copies an image of the display to the Windows clipboard.  Open an image program then press Ctrl + V or paste to copy the image to your image program)  Then open CbB and use task manager and "PrntScr" again to create a new set of screenshots.  Compare the two lists and highlight the processes that run while CbB is running.  Then when the program will not close, start forcing close each CbB process until you find the offending process.  I suspect you'll find it is not a CbB process but an add-on that is keeping the program open.

Jim F
Cakewalk by Bandlab (CbB)
Sonar Home Studio V23.9.0 build 32
Music Creator 6
Band-in-a-Box, Audacity, ChordPulse
Win 7, i3 cpu, 8Gig ram, 480 Gig Dell Laptop
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

Benevolentmutation
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18
Re: Often Play will not stop-Must force close 2018/11/14 20:54:45 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jimfogle 2018/11/15 03:32:52
Thank you for the advise/Tips. I have stumbled upon a fix for the first time by accident. What I do is click the reset midi/audio button, then i click the input echo button and it actually fixes this issue without the rest of the hassles!

jimfogle
Your problem reads like some process is forcing CbB to remain open.  I'd open task manager and let it run in the background until the problem pops up then start closing processes one at a time until you can identify the offending process.

Windows 10 Home 64 bit X64 based processor
Intel i7-3537U CPU @ 2.00 GHz 2.50 GHz
RAM 8.00 GB (7.88 GB usable)

jimfogle
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 463
Re: Often Play will not stop-Must force close 2018/11/15 03:35:44 (permalink)
I'm glad you found an easy workaround to resolving the issue. 
Many times you don't need to discover the root cause of an issue just find a way to fix the symptom.

Jim F
Cakewalk by Bandlab (CbB)
Sonar Home Studio V23.9.0 build 32
Music Creator 6
Band-in-a-Box, Audacity, ChordPulse
Win 7, i3 cpu, 8Gig ram, 480 Gig Dell Laptop
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

msmcleod
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 920
Re: Often Play will not stop-Must force close 2018/11/28 02:36:31 (permalink)
I've started to see this happen occasionally in 2018.09, but I cannot reproduce it in 2018.08 or earlier.

It happens mostly when pressing play the first time a project loads, or occasionally when rewinding and playing from the beginning (i.e. pressing W followed by spacebar).

In both cases, the song starts playing normally but refuses to stop. It ignores both the spacebar, and the stop button on my Korg NanoKontrol Studio (if this is connected).

The only way I can get Cakewalk to stop playing (short of resorting to task manager), is to switch off my Scarlett 6i6.

Cakewalk then picks up the fact that this has gone and stops with an audio dropout error. I can then switch it back on, wait until Cakewalk recognises it, and then continue as normal.

The weird thing is certain things, like Ctrl + S to save the project, actually work when it's doing its non-stop playing thing. So it's not completely unresponsive.

I've not managed to find a pattern to this. Project size or complexity has no bearing on it - it's happened on the simplest of projects (e.g. one Instrument track with AIR Mini Grand).

[Edit] - Just happen again yesterday evening, however this time it just played a long buzzing sound. 
post edited by msmcleod - 2018/11/29 11:18:50

Mark McLeod
Cakewalk by BL | ASUS P8B75-V, Intel I5 3570 16GB RAM Win 10 64 + Win 7 64/32 SSD HD's, Scarlett 18i20 / 6i6 | ASUS ROG GL552VW 16GB RAM Win 10 64 SSD HD's, Scarlett 2i2 | Behringer Truth B2030A / Edirol MA-5A | Mackie MCU + C4 + XT | 2 x BCF2000, Korg NanoKontrol Studio
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1