Oh Sonar, why do I love thee?

Author
markthomas
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 37
2005/07/11 18:12:27 (permalink)

Oh Sonar, why do I love thee?

I think Sonar is a fantastic package. I spend all day every day at work sat in front of a Pro Tools rig doing lots of editing on high profile projects, but I'd take Sonar any day when it comes to music (Thanks Cakewalk for the keyboard shortcut templates!).
However, (and I realise this is also largely down to the way my PC is set up) Sonar crashes far more often than I think it probably should. When it crashes, it really crashes - it doesn't develop wierd little bugs that require a reboot like ProTools often does. However, I really wish it was just that little more stable! (again, I realise this is possibly to do with the way my system is set up)

Anyway, this time I saved my project, just before a crash (which incidentally happens every time I've been playing audio for more than about 5 mins - eg looping a section while changing settings). I rebooted, opened up the project, and after various plugins showed their loading screen, I get the message 'The file you are trying to open is not compatible with this version of SONAR'.

Obviously, this is not true. However, I tried loading up the autosave (created 1 minute before the saved file) and got exactly the same message. I tried disabling a load of plugins and reopening the file to no avail (it does come up with the 'plug-ins missing' window before the error message). This is pretty important - its a track from an album I'm mixing for a band, which might have an international release! Help!

Any ideas?

Mark

Tascam FW-1884 - Sonar 4PE - 3Ghz Athlon 64 - 1GB RAM
post edited by markthomas - 2005/07/11 18:16:49

29 Replies Related Threads

davidchristopher
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1360
    RE: Oh Sonar, why do I love thee? 2005/07/11 18:52:02 (permalink)
    I can't even begin to guess why your system crashes, nor can I help you with the "not compatible with this version" error message- which for some reason happens with the AUTOSAVE too? That's the part that stumped me.

But, if you're using per-project folders, then you may be able to save the audio from the project. It'll be a pain dans l'arse to line it all back up, but it's there...

David Bistolas
    www.bistolas.net
    thunderkyss
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1207
    RE: Oh Sonar, why do I love thee? 2005/07/11 19:00:36 (permalink)
    Dude.........a problem like this, and you're working on an international release??

I'll tell you right now, it's going take some time.

If it were me, I'd start with something I don't need right away. Open a blank project, then import all the audio from your last project. Audio only. arrange them how you need them, and start balancing levels, and setting up your panning. See if we can get past the five minute mark. If not, then you need to reduce the number of tracks till you can. We need to try to zero in on what's causing the problem, so we can fix it.

By the by, what kinda computer are you working on?? Home Grown, or Dell??

Sonic
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1517
    RE: Oh Sonar, why do I love thee? 2005/07/11 19:06:53 (permalink)
    It doesn't help your problem, but rest assured that Sonar is a stable program. Something in your system is not liking Sonar, and you should be able to get things working right with some persistance. Sonar is rock solid for me.
    I hope you get things worked out. Good luck!

The best is always yet to come. Now...shut up and make some noise!
    A small sample of my music... http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/turtlebend2.htm
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4951
    RE: Oh Sonar, why do I love thee? 2005/07/11 19:21:15 (permalink)
    hi,
    i don't know why .. but i've had the same thing happen to me. i think it
    crashed while doing an autosave?
    jeff
    name1432
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 295
    RE: Oh Sonar, why do I love thee? 2005/07/11 19:38:43 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: markthomas

Anyway, this time I saved my project, just before a crash (which incidentally happens every time I've been playing audio for more than about 5 mins - eg looping a section while changing settings).

my system crashes often if i change settings while playback is looping. i've seen others say the same here... sonar hangs while changing settings while playback is looping

post edited by name1432 - 2005/07/11 21:04:31
    GypsyJazz
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 361
    RE: Oh Sonar, why do I love thee? 2005/07/11 19:45:08 (permalink)

G'day markthomas,

2 things.

1: Autosave sucks....disable it.
    Just press the save or save as button whenever you make a change.
    2: SONAR is NOT unstable.
    Your PC configuration (as it relates to SONAR) is unstable.

It can be quite tedious tracking down these problems.

You don't mention any system specs.
    Any other programs running in the background?
    What's running in the tray?

etc etc etc etc etc
    post edited by GypsyJazz - 2005/07/11 19:50:16
    LoopJunkie
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2466
    RE: Oh Sonar, why do I love thee? 2005/07/11 19:52:34 (permalink)

That's not really sound advice - Autosave saved me on numerous occasions when I did something really silly and crashed.

Just pressing save will leave you with no backup at all and you are royally screwed if that "not compatible" message pops up - use "Save As" instead and use a new name, e.g. myfile-01, myfile-02 etc. if you don't trust Autosave.

loop

Sonic
    RE: Oh Sonar, why do I love thee? 2005/07/11 20:02:33 (permalink)
    I guess I'm just lucky then.

LoopJunkie
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2466
    RE: Oh Sonar, why do I love thee? 2005/07/11 20:09:53 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Sonic

... or your ability to do stupid things to/with Sonar isn't as developed as mine.

Usually I'm solid, too, but sometimes I can't refrain from using untested and sinister plugins.

loop

Sonic
    RE: Oh Sonar, why do I love thee? 2005/07/11 20:18:09 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: LoopJunkie

ORIGINAL: Sonic

Usually I'm solid, too, but sometimes I can't refrain from using untested and sinister plugins.

I know what you mean. Some of these VST freebies I find are just TOO tempting. And sometimes they are VERY cool.

knocking on wood....

RE: Oh Sonar, why do I love thee? 2005/07/11 20:53:19 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: GypsyJazz

G'day markthomas,

2 things.

i think if they fixed it so the time based autosave didn't interrupt playback
    or recording it would be near perfect. i think it's a great feature ... i have the # of edits thing
    turned on ... and it has saved me countless times... the 'just remember
    to do this before that" thing never works for me .. so that's why
    autosave is not a sucky feature for me .. it's a necessity.
    jeff
    GypsyJazz
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 361
    RE: Oh Sonar, why do I love thee? 2005/07/11 21:09:31 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: LoopJunkie
    That's not really sound advice - Autosave saved me on numerous occasions when I did something really silly and crashed.

Oh well...it sucks for me.
    It always seems to kick in at the most inopportune time.

I s'pose it depends on your way of working but I would always turn autosave off in any
    program (musical or non musical).

I just don't like it as a concept.

I prefer to tell the computer when to do something,
    not have it tell me.

hehehhe I always turn Autoplay CD (in XP) off as well.
    Now that feature really sucks!
    Lol.

MIDI IS NOT AUDIO
    noguru
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 415
    RE: Oh Sonar, why do I love thee? 2005/07/12 00:59:27 (permalink)
    FWIW, i have a tascam us-428.
    sonar used to crash on me all the time,
    when i was using the latest tascam driver.

when i went to a previous driver, all of my
    problems were over.....Sonar is rock solid.

i cant think of the #'s right now, im on a different computer.
    doesnt matter with your fw-1884.

you may find more info at;
    http://tascamforums.com/

just a thought....hth

peace,
    terry

intel Q6600,tascam-fireone,cme-uf70,korg padkontrol, behringer truth 2031.

http://terryleesmith.bandcamp.com/
    KGBJAMIN
    • Total Posts : 28
    RE: Oh Sonar, why do I love thee? 2005/07/12 09:04:37 (permalink)
    Hey Mark,
    I don't know if this will help you but here is a link to a thread that was posted on this board a couple of weeks that is related to one of the problems you were having:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=482932&mpage=1&key=񽘔
    fwblack
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 326
    RE: Oh Sonar, why do I love thee? 2005/07/12 09:51:39 (permalink)
    I have one project that will crash Sonar (S4.02 PE) when I close the project. None of my other projects do this and all my projects use the same plug-ins, etc. This same project cannot do a "consolidate audio" either, however everything else is OK with the project. I just gotten used to it killing Sonar. Other than that, Sonar, for me, is pretty stable.

My 2 cents;
    - Only use your DAW for DAW stuff. Don't let your kids play games on it! Only visit web sites that you trust on it. Don't search for lyrics on it: lyric sites are loaded with spyware and adware, etc., etc. etc.
    - Have a good Anti-Virus program (Norton is what I use) installed and keep the definations updated and scan it every so often and when things act up. While using Sonar, I find it's best to disable the Anti-Virus real-time protection.

- Have a good anti-spyware program (SpySweeper from Webroot is what I use) installed and keep the definations updated and scan it every so often and when things act up. While using Sonar, I find it's best to disable the Anti-Spyware real-time protection too.

- Search the forum for info on how to improve Sonar's performance by optmizing Windows for DAW use and make the suggested changes.

- Generally it's good to apply the updates from Microsoft, but there's also the school of thought that if you're system is stable don't mess with it.

Good luck,
    Fred
    post edited by fwblack - 2005/07/12 09:55:20

Fred Black
    http://www.FredBlackMusic.com
    http://www.pqGallery.com (free photo galleries - get it for you or your band)
    http://www.pqInternet.com
    thunderkyss
    RE: Oh Sonar, why do I love thee? 2005/07/12 10:35:45 (permalink)
    So mark, how's it going??

You other guys, Is this the first time you've mentioned these "problems"??

SteveD
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2831
    RE: Oh Sonar, why do I love thee? 2005/07/12 13:02:09 (permalink)
    Auto-save is great. However, I recommend setting it to save after every 5 changes instead of every 5 minutes.

Use project folders and make frequent saves to projects with a slightly different name (.i.e. "myproject01, myproject02, myproject03, etc.)

When you feel you've made some good progress during tracking, or during a mix... increment the suffix and save.

You will never be very far away from a non-corrupted project or from your original tracks. A mix that sounded great... until you tried to make it better ... is only a mouse click away.

My system is stable... rock solid. However, I don't try to make change while looping. I have had a project get corrupted (twice I think... both times from very quick editting on a large project with lots of UAD-1 plugins), but I just opened the auto-save or previous version and reapplied my most recent changes and continued without skipping a beat.

By the time I'm done with a project, I have about 20 versions of the project in the folder. The highest number is always the current version.

SteveD
    DAWPRO Drum Tracks

... addicted to gear
    markthomas
    RE: Oh Sonar, why do I love thee? 2005/07/12 17:03:05 (permalink)
    Well thanks for all the helpful replies guys. Just to clear a few things up - I have quite a number of backups of this project - occasionally when I've relied on an autosave, an auto save of an autosave is created. Also I increment numbers (normally after every final mix revisit), but since I am still in the production stages of this particular track I haven't done many backups (Nothing like learning the hard way!).

All the audio is there, but I'd spent a lot of time editing to account for human error! The track is on about 45 channels of audio, with 5 soft synths running pads (some very large dimension patches - really need to get some more RAM...) and a bit of extra percussion. I've also done a lot of track organisation, splitting things up for verses, and choruses - track folders, lots of bussing, etc. And there were effects on most of the channels - all with non-preset settings. Basically it's a lot of work (although it only took a few hours, I *really* don't want to have to do it again, when there are still 6 tracks for the album I haven't touched with mid-September as a provisional glass master date...)

When I say international release, I think I'm overstating the project a bit - a few UK based labels have shown strong interest witgh a US distributor also in the mix. The project started out as something a lot smaller, but the first couple of finished tracks have been going down quite well!

Anway, technical stuff! My windows installation is very clean. I wipe my system partiotion every couple of months, and I use WinLite (theres a few threads about it on here I think) to install essentials only. There aren't that many processes running, and the audio is coming off a practically empty SATA drive. It should all run very well, and everything else I use the system for (which isn't a lot - mainly a little video editing) is very stable. I'm quite suspicious of the FW-1884 drivers. THere have been a few times where it's done some odd things. Running the Tascam SoftLCD program (which is compulsory when you're working with 60+ tracks and 15+ busses) can often cause the system to crash. I might try going back a version or two. Anyone else had problems with this? I'm looking forward to the 4.03 update!

In fact, I'm sure Sonar (admittidly V3) was much more stable when I used to use it with an old Soundblaster Card? MAybe I should try using that for mixdown, and just using the FW1884 as a control surface/midi interface?

I'm going to email Ron Kuper (I assume he's the best person to contact?) the file and see if it's rescuable. Whatever the problem is, it's the very last thing in the loading procedure that causes it, which gives me hope its rescuable (ie, the checksums and all that techy stuff are parsing ok).

Thanks for all your help guys!

Mark
    pharohoknaughty
    • Total Posts : 1226
    RE: Oh Sonar, why do I love thee? 2005/07/13 04:18:51 (permalink)
    I have had this exact thing happen. Nothing is worse. The supposed backup is no good and has destroyed what would have been ok if you did not back up.

It happend to me when I pushed things to far.

Anyway, I was complaining to Sonar support six months later, during an unrelated call. They said I should have called in and that they would have had a fix.

Try calling support.

EvilGuitarMonke
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 335
    RE: Oh Sonar, why do I love thee? 2005/07/13 05:01:00 (permalink)
    Check your memory modules. Just a hunch.
    ORIGINAL: markthomas

I think Sonar is a fantastic package. I spend all day every day at work sat in front of a Pro Tools rig doing lots of editing on high profile projects, but I'd take Sonar any day when it comes to music (Thanks Cakewalk for the keyboard shortcut templates!).
    However, (and I realise this is also largely down to the way my PC is set up) Sonar crashes far more often than I think it probably should. When it crashes, it really crashes - it doesn't develop wierd little bugs that require a reboot like ProTools often does. However, I really wish it was just that little more stable! (again, I realise this is possibly to do with the way my system is set up)

Anyway, this time I saved my project, just before a crash (which incidentally happens every time I've been playing audio for more than about 5 mins - eg looping a section while changing settings). I rebooted, opened up the project, and after various plugins showed their loading screen, I get the message 'The file you are trying to open is not compatible with this version of SONAR'.

Obviously, this is not true. However, I tried loading up the autosave (created 1 minute before the saved file) and got exactly the same message. I tried disabling a load of plugins and reopening the file to no avail (it does come up with the 'plug-ins missing' window before the error message). This is pretty important - its a track from an album I'm mixing for a band, which might have an international release! Help!

Any ideas?

Mark

Tascam FW-1884 - Sonar 4PE - 3Ghz Athlon 64 - 1GB RAM

kp
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1496
    RE: Oh Sonar, why do I love thee? 2005/07/13 05:11:21 (permalink)
    And try not unsing WinLite in case it removes something that you actually need (but don't know about).
    b3gsus@msn.com
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1293
    RE: Oh Sonar, why do I love thee? 2005/07/13 06:56:44 (permalink)
    Where some folks need & use the Autosave Function, I've found as previously mentioned that it's best not to execute changes during Looping/& or Playback. When I 1st got into Sonar or Cakewalk (PA-9) & jumped to Sonar 2/then 2.2XL,,, the autosave function would make autosaves of the autosaves & upon Cakewalks suggestion, I switched that off & turned on Per Project Audio Folders & then as SteveD suggested, save at points where a substantial change or additional edits have occured then save incrementally ie--

Use project folders and make frequent saves to projects with a slightly different name (.i.e. "myproject01, myproject02, myproject03, etc.)

ORIGINAL: kp

And try not unsing WinLite in case it removes something that you actually need (but don't know about).

Check your memory modules. Just a hunch.

My system is stable... rock solid. However, I don't try to make change while looping.

All of these suggestions have worked very well for me & I've not lost any Data unless as Loop J said,,,, I did something stupid!!!

There's definitely a way to get your Puter more stable & Memory Sticks can & do go bad!! NC Wildman

Wildman,,aka,,,"Nick Danger"
    Studiocat Core2Quad Q9550 w/P45 Cset XP-Pro Sonar Pro 8, 2 FF 800, Wclock, Avalon VT-737, Focusrite V Master,Eureka, 2-LA-4s, Neumann U87,TLM-103,Rode NTK,MCU,Event SP8s, DynAudio BM5As VS-2480 4 DA88
    2-Mackie 24/8buss
    thunderkyss
    RE: Oh Sonar, why do I love thee? 2005/07/13 08:12:52 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: b3gsus@msn.com

So then each save creates a whole new Project Folder?? In this instance, you have your project, myproject03, and two backups, myproject02 & myproject03?? ARe you recreating the audio files everytime you do this?? If I've got a 1gig project, in this instance, on project is taking up 3gigs of HD space?? Is this correct??

I know HD space is cheap, but this doesn't appear to be a very efficient sollution.

markthomas
    RE: Oh Sonar, why do I love thee? 2005/07/13 08:43:32 (permalink)
    Any suggestion on ways to check memory modules? Admittidly, since buying my current modules, a couple of months ago, the problem has got worse, but I checked them recently (can't remeber what with, but it wasn't memtest86) and they showed up fine. I'll run a memtest86 tonight.

Another thing that I thought may be causing the problem is processor overheating? My processor (Athlon 64 3Ghz) often runs at 55-58deg. Maybe I need a bigger better processor fan?

In response to thunderkyss, if you save a project with a different name, but in the same project folder, then it does not duplicate the audio files. This is very useful for saving several mixes of the same track, which you can open and compare. I now wish I did it a little more frequently!
    RE: Oh Sonar, why do I love thee? 2005/07/13 10:40:13 (permalink)
    hey mark,
    i know exactly what you're talking about .. it happens to me ( sonar just goes
    away and you'll find a zombie SONAR4PE process in the background). I don't believe
    it's PACE or plug-in related at all because I use all the same plug-ins in ProTools and
    they work just fine... Sonar goes down at least twice as frequently as PT, and
    I'm hopeful that 4.0.3 addresses some of these stability issues because I vastly
    prefer using Sonar.
    jeff
    ps: and this happens on 3 quite different systems .. so i'm confident it's
    software related....
    mark s
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1140
    RE: Oh Sonar, why do I love thee? 2005/07/14 09:43:38 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: SteveD

Auto-save is great. However, I recommend setting it to save after every 5 changes instead of every 5 minutes.

Hey that was a good idea, I thought, so I set my autosave up to to that. I had mine off but hit the ctrl-s on a regualr basis and save-as when I add something major, BUT while playing with envelopes last night that change number 5 came around and crashed SONAR 4PE. (only after the first five changes, now mind you) Just a quick digital stutter and then the message apologising for the inconveince,..

I've turned off auto save and will continue to ctrl-s
    Sbax
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 220
    RE: Oh Sonar, why do I love thee? 2005/07/14 12:16:17 (permalink)
    FWIW I've never had a Sonar or Windows crash. It's been alost a year with this set up. XP SP1 clean barebones install onto a low level HD reformat. Just Sonar, RME drivers, CD burning software. No spectrum analyzers (I use Ozone for that) or HD utilities, or SiSoft Sandra, or MP3 players, etc.

Sonar 6 PE
    RME Fireface 800
    Athlon 64 3000
    Asus K8V SE Deluxe
    losguy
    Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5506
    RE: Oh Sonar, why do I love thee? 2005/07/14 14:50:26 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: mark s
    ORIGINAL: SteveD

Hey that was a good idea, I thought, so I set my autosave up to to that. I had mine off but hit the ctrl-s on a regualr basis and save-as when I add something major, BUT while playing with envelopes last night that change number 5 came around and crashed SONAR 4PE. (only after the first five changes, now mind you) Just a quick digital stutter and then the message apologising for the inconveince,..
    I've turned off auto save and will continue to ctrl-s

And on some systems with XP SP2 and certain graphics hardware/drivers (like my ATI), you get a nasty "hiccup" in softsynth playback during Save, including Autosave. It drove me nuts (hiccup every 2 minutes) until I figured out that Autosave (actually, Save) was doing it.

The Save As... idea is a good one. Software developers (like me) use a versioning archive tool (RCS, PVCS, to name two) for this very purpose, so that you can save ("check in") different revisions of a file under the same name, and then recall ("check out") the versions as you need them. The revisions are saved with revision numbers, along with any descriptive notes about what you did in that revision. Heck, when I get down to mixing, I may just follow my own advice here...

BTW, there's an open-source (free) revisioning tool available at Sourceforge.net.

[Edited for typo. (Typing with a bandaged finger today.)]
    post edited by losguy - 2005/07/14 19:09:21

Psalm 30:12
    All pure waves converge at the Origin
    mark s
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1140
    RE: Oh Sonar, why do I love thee? 2005/07/14 18:59:50 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Sbax

FWIW I've never had a Sonar or Windows crash. It's been alost a year with this set up.

Nor had I on a dedicated DAW until the other night.

Hey Losguy, I'll do some checking. Got an ATI card,....hmmm
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1