Helpful ReplyOh crap...cut finger...

Author
JohnKenn
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1659
2018/11/24 02:14:55 (permalink)

Oh crap...cut finger...

I been doing my best to learn to play without a pick and sliced my thumb up on a tomato can trying to speed up Thanksgiving dinner for the invading hoards. Bled like a bastard for almost an hour. Can forget picking with the thumb for awhile.

Was also having to do a lot of electrical wire stripping, soldering and the like and got more metal barbs and splinters in my hand than I knew I had places to get splintered. Major pain trying to play anything.

By the grace of Allah, everything will eventually heal, but was wondering. Did any of you guys get injuries to the hand or fingers that made it so you can't play for awhile or even not play no more?

Life is brutal. Brain still works but the hands sending electrical shocks to give it up.

John
bjornpdx
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 759
Re: Oh crap...cut finger... 2018/11/24 02:38:04 (permalink)
After several years of not playing, I decided to re-learn the guitar. And then the arthritis started up in my left hand at the base of the thumb. Not that bad (yet) but I have trouble just holding the guitar at the neck.

Bjorn
soundcloud.com/orygun
www.bjornfredrickson.com
https://store.cdbaby.com/Artist/BjornFredrickson

Purrfect Audio Pro Studio, RME UCX
Cakewalk by Bandlab,  Studio One,  Reaper
bdickens
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 847
Re: Oh crap...cut finger... 2018/11/24 02:43:00 (permalink)
I see your cut thumb and raise you a broken finger.

Have also had medial epicondylitis (golfer's elbow) so bad that I couldn't fret a note.

Byron Dickens
Wayfarer
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 831
Re: Oh crap...cut finger... 2018/11/24 04:41:46 (permalink)
Crazy glue is your friend.
bapu
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Oh crap...cut finger... 2018/11/24 04:56:57 (permalink)
So? I play like all my fingers are cut and broke. It doesn't stop me.
Leadfoot
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2817
Re: Oh crap...cut finger... 2018/11/24 14:46:19 (permalink)
Wayfarer

+1
57Gregy
  • Total Posts : 14404
Re: Oh crap...cut finger... 2018/11/24 15:02:31 (permalink)
Sliced my thumb all the way to the bone with a razor blade. Couldn't play for a week.

Greg 
I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
Mitch_I
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 212
Re: Oh crap...cut finger... 2018/11/24 16:36:12 (permalink)
I was doing some handyman work at home when my left pinkie suddenly started bleeding a lot. I went to an emergency medical place, where they sewed it up. But then two weeks later it started hurting more, and X-rays showed an object inside. A microsurgeon (big guy, actually) removed it.

For several months it hurt a lot to have anything touch it. On computer keyboard and music keyboard, I was able to limit myself to nine fingers. On flute I had to avoid Ab. That was a few years ago, and I'm back to using ten fingers but still have mild pins and needles in the last joint of the pinkie.

Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery.
SteveStrummerUK
  • Total Posts : 31112
Re: Oh crap...cut finger... 2018/11/24 18:46:37 (permalink)
Mitch_I

... I had to avoid Ab.

I'd avoid Ab if I had 23.3154 fingers.

Ab is persona non grata in Straummy's repertoire.

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: Oh crap...cut finger... 2018/11/24 19:32:48 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby msmcleod 2018/11/25 11:09:30
SteveStrummerUK

..if I had 23.3154 fingers...

..I might be from Tewkesbury...

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Oh crap...cut finger... 2018/11/24 23:24:33 (permalink)
SteveStrummerUK
Mitch_I

... I had to avoid Ab.

I'd avoid Ab if I had 23.3154 fingers.

Ab is persona non grata in Straummy's repertoire.

That Am funny Straummy.
JohnKenn
Re: Oh crap...cut finger... 2018/11/25 01:10:58 (permalink)
Thanks guys for the well wishes. Will survive in a few days and get back to my sub mediocre guitar banging. Just a couple deep gashes.

Worst damage to my hands making me sacrifice style happened a long time ago, and could have made me rich on a discovery of the time I didn't act upon. Nobody else had realized this.

Was doing a modification on the door closure to an Airforce C-130 aircraft. Required repositioning a cable when the half inch progressive drill slipped off the mark and went through my first finger. I was so freaked out all I could do was keep my hand on the drill trigger and rip it out backwards. Bad move. There were pieces of me and blood all over the place.

Docs said we got to amputate and I begged them not to cut my finger off.

They said okay and cleaned out the mess as much as we could. I had to report into work every day for the next 3 weeks so the doc could smell the wound in case I was starting to rot.

Doc asked me what I was drilling on at the time of the accident. I said aluminum. He said "bummer".

Explained that aluminum has about the same density of human tissue so an x-ray could not show how much crap and splinters were left behind. Had I been drilling on iron, the x-ray would have shown it and they could progressively clean if my arm did not rot off first.

The injury slowly healed and was in a Spencer's gift shop with my kid where they had the cool Frankenstein plasma light globes. Told the daughter that you could draw the electrical discharges to one side by placing your hand on the globe. Put my injured hand on the globe and was like a perfect 3D X-ray of all the aluminum chips that were sealed up inside me. Went back every few months to recheck. Gradually everything cleared and figured it was now deposited in my brain. Old school excuse for Alzheimer's and the admonition to never cook anything in aluminum cookware, especially acidic things lime tomatoes. You will never recognize your grand children.

Weird thing about the nerve damage. Pain was intense, but sense of pressure was way worse. Touch a guitar string and it was like a ton of bricks was crushing your finger. Used to have some really cool Hendrix type riffs when I could actually play. This accident ended that career and had to abandon and modify for the worse. Still got pain. Supports the truth that nerve damage heals very slowly or not at all.

John
henkejs
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 489
Re: Oh crap...cut finger... 2018/11/25 03:04:03 (permalink)
I broke my right wrist in three places playing football. In a cast for six weeks, I could strum a bit but couldn't really maneuver a pick or play finger style. That put a crimp in the piano playing too. Now many years later, I just work around the arthritis and give thanks that I never did any serious damage with power tools.

A few of my songs

SONAR Platinum, Cakewalk by BandLab, Windows 10, Focusrite Scarlett 6i6.
paulo
Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6218
Re: Oh crap...cut finger... 2018/11/25 18:50:36 (permalink)
bapu
So? I play like all my fingers are cut and broke. It doesn't stop me.

Pffft. I play like someone cut my fingers off.
Jyotishvarii
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 87
Re: Oh crap...cut finger... 2018/11/26 00:41:17 (permalink)
Hey John  Curious about something  Looks like you know your way around things pharmacy but now you are talking about working on airplanes Did you fix aircraft on your lunch break Sounds weird but love you anyway even if the LSD was a bit strong
Jyotishvarii
Jim Roseberry
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re: Oh crap...cut finger... 2018/11/26 01:22:03 (permalink)
Wayfarer

Another +1
Stevie Ray Vaughan used it... and so do many others.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
JohnKenn
Re: Oh crap...cut finger... 2018/11/26 02:16:43 (permalink)
+1 for Crazy glue. They invented this during the Vietnam war to quickly close up battle wounds. They about took it off the shelf for the public because of the dangers with unintended skin adhesions for the home user trying to mend a porcelain tea cup. Some guy went before US congress, bathed himself down in Crazy Glue, wrapped his arms all around his body. Glued himself into a piece of cement and was able to get free. Thus the product is available to the lay public after congress was convinced you could likely get yourself out of a bind without a trip to the ER within the confines of normal home use.

Medical Crazy Glue is used routinely, but costs hundreds of times more than the ACE Hardware stuff. Same thing, but now medical insurance is involved.

To Jyoti, my second best sweetheart in the world.

Yeah, this is weirder than hell and back. Didn't have the luxury of an overlap to fix the planes on a pharmacy lunch break however.

Was a priest overseas in every hell hole you could imagine.

Came back to the good US and had no skills to support a family after marrying a beautiful tribal girl from over there somewhere.

Tried my **** best to work and support her but was going under. Last gasp in desperation was to take out whatever loans in Colorado to go to aircraft mechanic school. Got my fed A&P fed license and went to work as a greaseball mechanic. Brutal existence and you were always getting fired or laid off every year if something lethal didn't kill you on the job first.

Last time laid off was with Boeing in Seattle. Was about to drag the family into a Uhaul and chase the next plane. Looked around at all the families in the apartment. We were the oldest with nothing to show for it.

Needed a change in plan with some security, and pharmacy seemed like a viable option. Exactly like you said, the review board at the interview questioned what the hell an aircraft mechanic was doing trying to get into the pharmacy program.

Smoke and mirrors but must have worked.

About the LSD, was way more elegant and strong back then. Was based on a 250 microgram dose as was used in psych trials on terminal alcoholics. In the recent years, LSD off the street has taken the dive respecting economics where they realize that 10-15 micrograms will give you a good buzz. Good money sense to make a profit to water it down. Just it ain't what it used to be.

Hey dear girl, any more questions? (drugs or your airplane)

John
Jyotishvarii
Re: Oh crap...cut finger... 2018/11/29 03:08:46 (permalink)
John   I have to apologize for my crude attack on you  It was the third glass of wine talking  I should learn more before opening my cyberitic mouth  You seemed and still so out of the norm
Friends still?
I have no airplane but will fly it out to you if I ever get one and need to get a fix
I do have a drug question about tramadol  The doctor said it is a non narcotic  The nurse said it is a narcotic  I am supposed to believe the doctor but I got all the terrible narcotic side effects with tramadol  What gives
JohnKenn
Re: Oh crap...cut finger... 2018/11/29 23:54:59 (permalink)
Hey Jyoti,

Yes, still friends. Too many times I drunk too much and wake up regretting what I posted. Just ask these guys here what a loudmouth pain I have been over the years.

Spent most of my adult life trying to become nothing. Trying to achieve meaninglessness. Partially successful, so no one to offend and thus no offense taken.

About tramadol...

The respected MD doc is right that tramadol is not a narcotic.
The respected nurse is right that tramadol is a narcotic.

If I was going with one flip of the coin however, listen to the nurse.

Won't do a biochem tirade (promise), but in defense of the doc...
We define narcotics by a specific structural geometry. Simplified, means a bunch of carbon rings in a geometric plane with a 90 degree triangle sorta projection of a link across the rings. Atom of nitrogen binding everything in the middle of the bridge. Morphine is the prototype structure by chemical definition. You got to have this fingerprint if the FDA is going to let you get into the narcotics club.

If we could look with a close enough microscope, everything from morphine to fentanyl and beyond shares the same structure and we call them narcotics.

They did something under the table by definition with tramadol.

Tramadol is a codeine derivative where they were able to fracture the ring apart but still have it 3D interact with the target. Because it no longer presented the textbook narcotic structure, it was no longer in the paperwork definition a narcotic. The doc is correct from a chemist standpoint.  Tramadol is not a narcotic ...HOWEVER...  if it quacks like a duck...

Your nurse says it is a narcotic, and I agree with her a hundred percent as far as the practical application.

Books can burn in hell over this one. My opinion only, tramadol IS a narcotic with all the benefits and bad things that come with allowing it to enter your body. Tramadol is so uniquely weird among the narcotics with major ups and downs depending on the condition and personal genetics. Can bore you to death if you want to know more.

Pray to Allah that your foot is healing and that you are having less pain. Sounds like 100 percent recovery is in the works.

John
Jyotishvarii
Re: Oh crap...cut finger... 2018/12/01 04:28:51 (permalink)
Thank you John  Foot is healing good minus the fear up ahead if I want to take out all the pinning hardware another surgery and more narcotics
Be blessed airplane pharmacy guy
batsbrew
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re: Oh crap...cut finger... 2018/12/04 16:27:03 (permalink)
i use this:

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

JohnKenn
Re: Oh crap...cut finger... 2018/12/05 21:19:44 (permalink)
Bats,

Thanks for the tip. Contains a mild antibiotic in a base that was used to seal up the older style cloth airplane structures. Strong and durable except for punctures (cloth wings that is). Was extremely flammable. Any dude who was in the drivers seat if the plane caught on fire had a poor chance of making it out alive.

Thumb healing up okay.

John
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1