Oh no! Another Fractured Libido!

Author
synkrotron
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5263
2017/04/25 13:36:22 (permalink)

Oh no! Another Fractured Libido!

Can't post in the songs forum... Not my toon. And I don't think it was created using Sonar. So, the Coffee House it is.

My input was the fractal animation.

Don't watch while partaking in your usual Coffee House concoctions.......

post edited by synkrotron - 2017/04/26 12:18:05

http://www.synkrotron.co.uk/
Intel Core™i7-3820QM Quad Core Mobile Processor 2.70GHz 8MB cache | Intel HM77 Express Chipset | 16GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM | 500GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | Windows 10 Pro | Roland OCTA-CAPTURE | SONAR Platinum ∞ FFS| Too many VSTi's to list here | KRK KNS-8400 Headphones | Roland JP-8000 | Oberheim OB12 | Novation Nova | Gibson SG Special | PRS Studio

6 Replies Related Threads

Mesh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 27360
    Re: Oh no! Another Fractal Video! 2017/04/25 14:06:38 (permalink)
    Very cool Andy!!

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
    I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
    250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
    Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
    HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
    Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    The_Forum_Monkeys
    Moshkito
    Max Output Level: -37.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3765
    Re: Oh no! Another Fractal Video! 2017/04/25 16:19:46 (permalink)
    Hi,

Interesting, and I would like to add something to it, if you don't mind, and this, is from a DIRECTOR's point of view, not from the visual entertainment side of things.

One of the things that is important to me in music, is the visuals that I get from it, and some of it, specially when the music is "out there" and unrecognizable, so to speak, is how the movement of the fractals work on the screen.

So, in a psychic show in the 1990's that I did with an artist here in Vancouver that drew "angels", her style was extremely free form and used free flowing fast lines, and then she would decorate them a bit better to illustrate the detail.

On that one Friday, with a musician on the other end of the room that was a good friend of mine, Vina started a drawing and had created the main lines and some secondary detail lines on it, and it was already a lively detailed piece.

I had an idea!

I asked Vina for the piece of art, and took it to the musician (Herb Ernst) and told him to look at the drawing, and that the whole piece was the composition and the lines/detail were the various parts of the composition, and all he had to do was interpret them.

The piece ended up being about 10 minutes long, and it was incredible, and had by the time it came to an end, brought in a bunch of people wondering what that music was ... and a couple of the other psychics on the show were impressed.

The way I see it, each movement is "an instrument", and to me, this is the part of the MTV generation that hurt the music ... it ignored the music and interspersed it with something else that was actually a distraction to the music itself.

I like your fractal use, however, I would love to see it defined a bit better, to "interpret" the music more, and make the fractals even more effective ... and my favorite example of music to do this with? "Mysterious Semblance at the Strand of Nightmares" by Tangerine Dream ... and I am still hoping to get that done before I leave this world.

Interpreting music is important, but FOR ME, it's not just a secondary visual thing, and many will say that it is a personal interpretation ... I am not totally convinced of that or you and I and others would not necessary care for it ... there has to be a solid connection, for the music to get stronger, and the visual to identify the music even better.

And this is where all the psychedelic shows went wrong ... it wasn't about the music anymore, and the lighting in most rock shows these days ... it is horrible!

Yours is nice and enjoyable ... I guess I would like to see more and better. I will try to see if I can scan the picture for this example (I have it somewhere!), however the piece of music, I am not sure my cassette copy of it is in any shape ... last time I heard it, it wobbled badly! Maybe, I can find Herb and see if he still has a copy of it, but we're talking almost 25 years now. I think he is about my age, now.

Music is not about notes and chords! My poem is not about the computer or monitor or letters! It's about how I was able to translate it from my insides! 
    craigb
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 41704
    Re: Oh no! Another Fractal Video! 2017/04/25 16:24:00 (permalink)
    Once, long ago (80's), I was the President (lol) of a small company (me plus two friends) called the Liquid Sky Group.  Yep, LSG (intentional abbreviation).  We created posters of fractals and VHS tapes of animated fractals that were used as background candy at some clubs.

Back then, it wasn't unusual for a dedicated computer to take DAYS to render a single fractal at 35mm resolution (the most intense took two weeks!).  Then there was the color cycling.  Now, the same fractal would probably only take a few minutes to generate... Heh.

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
    synkrotron
    Re: Oh no! Another Fractal Video! 2017/04/25 18:50:09 (permalink)
    Mesh
    Very cool Andy!!

Thanks Mesh

Intel Core™i7-3820QM Quad Core Mobile Processor 2.70GHz 8MB cache | Intel HM77 Express Chipset | 16GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM | 500GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | Windows 10 Pro | Roland OCTA-CAPTURE | SONAR Platinum ∞ FFS| Too many VSTi's to list here | KRK KNS-8400 Headphones | Roland JP-8000 | Oberheim OB12 | Novation Nova | Gibson SG Special | PRS Studio
    synkrotron
    Re: Oh no! Another Fractal Video! 2017/04/25 18:55:23 (permalink)
    craigb
    Now, the same fractal would probably only take a few minutes to generate... Heh.

Hi, Craig, yeah, generating a single fractal can be fast... Depends on the size and quality level you are aiming for and I've left some images cooking for half an hour or more.

A single frame, from the video above for example, can take anything from  six to twenty seconds to render, depending on quality. So a five minute video, 30fps = 9000 frames, can take at least eighteen hours to render. Some of my videos have taken five days to render, giving my poor laptop a rest every now and then

synkrotron
    Re: Oh no! Another Fractal Video! 2017/04/25 19:00:08 (permalink)
    Hi Pedro

I will be the first to admit that I am just a poor old amateur when it comes to stuff like this. If any parts of my video/music appear to be "in sync" then it's a total fluke.

My vids are more sort of eye candy, if you are not interested in the music, or ear candy, if you find the imagery boring. I guess that most peeps would switch off after about three seconds haha!

Cheers, and thanks for watching

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1