Ok I've never really used "SENDS" in Sonar.. what would I use them for?

Author
windsurfer25x
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1120
2011/03/03 19:27:09 (permalink)

Ok I've never really used "SENDS" in Sonar.. what would I use them for?

I'm curious as to what (if any) are the benefits of using SENDS in the DAW environment?

Besides using SENDS to go go out to hardware etc..

I've heard of people using SENDS for reverb, but why not just put the reverb on an insert instead?

Basically I'm wondering what the point of using SENDS is and what benefits there are to using them?

Thanks in advance!

Sonar X1 Expanded PE 64 bit
Intel i7 2600k oc'd, 16Gb DDR3 RAM, intel 320 SSD OS drive, 7200RPM HDDx2, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit VS 100, Tascam US-2000, UAD2 - Izotope, Fabfilter, NI Komplete 7/Kore2 & +, Spectrasonics+

http://www.maskensmobilestudio.com

24 Replies Related Threads

Sonico
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 266
    Re:Ok I've never really used "SENDS" in Sonar.. what would I use them for? 2011/03/03 19:37:06 (permalink)
    The benefit of using a reverb, delay or any other effect in a bus is that you use one effect for more than one track and SEND the signal from each track so you get the desired wet/dry mix, saving cpu processing (by using one effect for many tracks).

Typically dynamics processors are used on a track's insert and fx like reverb, delay, etc are used on a bus and then send the tracks that you want effected to the bus.

Hope this help  

Desktop: Intel Core i7 3.60Ghz, 16 GB Ram Windows 10 64bit
    Laptop: Intel i5 2.3Ghz, 6GB Ram Windows 10 64bit
    Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
    Presonus Faderport
    My Music
    windsurfer25x
    Re:Ok I've never really used "SENDS" in Sonar.. what would I use them for? 2011/03/03 19:43:03 (permalink)
    But you could just route your tracks to a bus and insert the FX you want on the bus?

The only advantage I can think of is if you want to have control of wet/dry 
    (assuming the plugin already doesn't have that feature)

Because you could just route your tracks to buses and then put the FX you want on the buses as inserts right? And you could save CPU power that way

Intel i7 2600k oc'd, 16Gb DDR3 RAM, intel 320 SSD OS drive, 7200RPM HDDx2, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit VS 100, Tascam US-2000, UAD2 - Izotope, Fabfilter, NI Komplete 7/Kore2 & +, Spectrasonics+

Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:Ok I've never really used "SENDS" in Sonar.. what would I use them for? 2011/03/03 19:47:09 (permalink)
    As Sonico says sometimes it is desirable to have one reverb setup and send various tracks to that and not just to save CPU resources either but sometimes this type of side chain effect can very effectively glue many tracks together and make them all sound as if they were all in the same room at the time.

Sending tracks to busses does not allow you to have different settings for level and the amount of reverb you want on a particluar track.

People are sometimes in too much of a hurry to put a reverb on every track just because that can. It is not the same thing as sending 4 or 5 tracks into one reverb. Sometimes that works better, try it and see.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    HumbleNoise
    Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2946
    Re:Ok I've never really used "SENDS" in Sonar.. what would I use them for? 2011/03/03 19:49:05 (permalink)
    Sends can be looked as another way to preserve the original 'dry' signal while adding 'wet' signal from a send or bus. Let's say you set up a compressor on a bus and it was pretty extreme. If you had a way to add that compressor a little at a time to your dry signal you could preserve your dry signal and add that compressed signal. The sound will be different than if you simply added the compressor to the track. That 'difference' is the reason for it. To get a different sound or effect than you can get with just a compressor on a track.

Have you heard of parallel compression? Or New York Compression? Look that up and check the signal routing. It is a very cool way to use sends and buses and opens up a huge new landscape of compression - for one.

Or side chaining? That usually requires a send as well and is an absolute must in some musical style.

The ProChannel has side chaining as well and requires a send.

And to your point if you use a send for a reverb effect you can vary the wet and dry signal as well for a little different effect. Again different being the key. You don't want to use a send ALL the time but to have the option is pretty cool. What if you had the Sonitus reverb on a track and a send to a bus with Perfect Space you could blend the two verbs for another sound all together. Doable with just track verbs but much more flexible with a send.

As always others will know more but that's the little I know about them.

Humbly Yours

Larry

Sonar X2 x64
    MAudio 2496
    Yamaha MG 12/4
    Roland XV-88
    Intel MB with Q6600 and 4 GB Ram
    NVidia 9800 GTX
    Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
    collisionmac
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 28
    Re:Ok I've never really used "SENDS" in Sonar.. what would I use them for? 2011/03/03 19:54:26 (permalink)
    By using the send functions it's easy to send many different tracks to a single effect. It saves CPU and time. To me the most useful thing about it is that you have complete control over how much of the signal goes to that desired effect as apposed to just routing your tracks to the FX bus and all of them have the same amount of reverb(for example), and as stated sidechaining. A very useful feature once you get the hang of it.
    post edited by collisionmac - 2011/03/03 20:00:28

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The cost of your equipment simply doesn't matter to me. Get over it. 
    windsurfer25x
    Re:Ok I've never really used "SENDS" in Sonar.. what would I use them for? 2011/03/03 19:54:32 (permalink)
    I am familiar with parallel compression, 

So to summarize... 

You would want to use SENDS for setting up Parallel FX, or wet/dry situations, or for side-chaining, or for some outboard processing?

HumbleNoise
    Re:Ok I've never really used "SENDS" in Sonar.. what would I use them for? 2011/03/03 19:57:35 (permalink)
    windsurfer25x

But you could just route your tracks to a bus and insert the FX you want on the bus?

The only advantage I can think of is if you want to have control of wet/dry 
    (assuming the plugin already doesn't have that feature)

Because you could just route your tracks to buses and then put the FX you want on the buses as inserts right? And you could save CPU power that way

That's the way I combine tracks for a single effect - using a bus with a insert effect.

I use sends for other things as described above. I don't think you can Side Chain without a send or use New York Compression without a send and those techniques are not necessarily used to simply combine effects over multiple tracks. Same with layering verbs, you need send for that or at least it's easier.

Humbly Yours

Larry

Sonar X2 x64
    MAudio 2496
    Yamaha MG 12/4
    Roland XV-88
    NVidia 9800 GTX
    HumbleNoise
    Re:Ok I've never really used "SENDS" in Sonar.. what would I use them for? 2011/03/03 20:11:27 (permalink)
    collisionmac

By using the send functions it's easy to send many different tracks to a single effect. It saves CPU and time. To me the most useful thing about it is that you have complete control over how much of the signal goes to that desired effect as apposed to just routing your tracks to the FX bus and all of them have the same amount of reverb(for example), and as stated sidechaining. A very useful feature once you get the hang of it.

+1

I don't use this near often enough but a really good explanation for using 'send' for reverb.

Humbly Yours

Larry

Sonar X2 x64
    MAudio 2496
    Yamaha MG 12/4
    Roland XV-88
    NVidia 9800 GTX
    windsurfer25x
    Re:Ok I've never really used "SENDS" in Sonar.. what would I use them for? 2011/03/03 20:34:46 (permalink)
    Ahh that makes more sense,

Using sends is the only way to control how much "input" from your track you want to go through FX while still preserving your original track and having then having the option to mix the "wet" track back into the mix

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Ok I've never really used "SENDS" in Sonar.. what would I use them for? 2011/03/03 20:56:49 (permalink)
    I use MC4 which doesn't have sends. I have to work a bit differently, but to me it's now natural.

I use busses. I put my FX in the track or the buss and set the wet/dry mix in the FX controls.

It works for me.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:Ok I've never really used "SENDS" in Sonar.. what would I use them for? 2011/03/04 04:43:08 (permalink)
    Try inserting Perfect Space, or any other cpu-hungry convolution type reverb as an insert on all your tracks, one at a time.

You'll get to about 11/12 instances before your machine starts complaining - loudly & badly!

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    rob.pulman
    • Total Posts : 1146
    Re:Ok I've never really used "SENDS" in Sonar.. what would I use them for? 2011/03/04 04:51:52 (permalink)
    Guitarhacker

I use MC4 which doesn't have sends. I have to work a bit differently, but to me it's now natural.

I use busses. I put my FX in the track or the buss and set the wet/dry mix in the FX controls.

It works for me.

Herb,
    I use MC4 as well, and use sends on every song usually. I right click on the track in the control panel view, and select ' insert send', just select which bus your effect is on. I'm sure you can do it from the Track View too. Give it a go.

Stoojo Music

Dell 2400, XP 1 Gig RAM, Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz, M-Audio 2496, PSR310, LP Custom, Fender Strat, Yam Acoustic, Peavey amps, Zodiac BXP bass
    guitartrek
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re:Ok I've never really used "SENDS" in Sonar.. what would I use them for? 2011/03/04 07:59:25 (permalink)
    Send busses work great for "time based" effects like Reverbs and Delays.  When you create a send buss - insert the Reverb or Delay or whatever, and then go into the effect an set the dry amount to 0%, and wet to 100%.  This is really important.  Most effects have a default dry / wet mix that assumes you were putting it on a single instruments fx bin. 

Also, on the Send Buss, leave the fader at 0db and don't be tempted to change this fader when mixing.  Use only the send amount on the individual track to adjust the amount.  This will simplify your experience.

You can set up a submix type buss for "like" instruments, (example: vocals, rhythm guitars, etc).  In aaddition to creating sends to a reverb buss on the original tracks, you can also create a send from the submix buss. 

Send busses don't really work well for effects like compression.  Compression is an "in-line" type of effect.  These effects work better on the individual track or the sub-mix buss.

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Ok I've never really used "SENDS" in Sonar.. what would I use them for? 2011/03/04 08:21:21 (permalink)
    Rob.... I might have seen that but never really used it...I'll check it out.

Thanks

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re:Ok I've never really used "SENDS" in Sonar.. what would I use them for? 2011/03/04 10:34:56 (permalink)
    plus, you can use the sends in POST and PRE

very important, with certain automation

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Ok I've never really used "SENDS" in Sonar.. what would I use them for? 2011/03/04 11:10:56 (permalink)
    Channels, sends and buses all go back to analog desks.  It is merely a convention in software, but still works.  Sends allow you to "tap" the sound of a channel out and control the volume of the tap without changing the volume going to a bus - including the mix output.

Some good uses have been alluded to above.  Reverb is a usual use, and the Perfect space reference goes straight back to analog days when reverbs were expensive.  You usually only had one good one.  So you had a send on each channel needing it, and controlled the amount of reverb using the send.  Drench the backing vocals and snare (showing my age here!), and a touch to the lead vox, and a little more to put everything else in the "room".  Voiliá - reverb on everything without smearing the whole song.  I do the same thing with Perfect Space today, except I can add algorthrymic reverbs/delays on individual tracks.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Ok I've never really used "SENDS" in Sonar.. what would I use them for? 2011/03/04 11:41:47 (permalink)

Use sends when you need to route a track to more than one destination, such as a headphone mix.

Routing to a bus is essentially the same thing, just with fewer options. Think of sends as an unlimited number of busses.

For example, say you have a track that uses two radically different effects chains in different parts of the song. You could automate each effect individually and end up with a rat's nest of automation envelopes, or you could put each chain on a separate bus and reduce your automation to just two envelopes that control how much signal goes to each bus.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    andypanda
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 151
    Re:Ok I've never really used "SENDS" in Sonar.. what would I use them for? 2011/03/09 13:56:19 (permalink)
    windsurfer25x

Something I frequently do is add compression or EQ to an effect.  For example I may Compress the signal going into a reverb or EQ the signal coming out of the reverb (or going in or both).  

And I probably don't want to do the same thing to the dry signal - so by putting a send on a vocal track (maybe several sends - reverb, delay, doubler etc)  I can then build a chain (i.e. Compression>Reverb>enhancer or EQ) on the reverb buss and only the reverb gets compressed and EQ'ed.
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:Ok I've never really used "SENDS" in Sonar.. what would I use them for? 2011/03/09 22:09:33 (permalink)
    +1 Everyone ... I'll just chime a little, as I struggle much:

3 Sends are my favs, lately:

1) Parallel compression: (like expansion: to bring up anything that lacks meat

2) Ambience: PerfectSpace (convoluted verb) for the soundstage in everything

3) Plate Verb: Sonar Lexicon's ... for Snare, Lead vox, everything that forms the dominant element

Usually my sends are panned near center (to avoid phasiness, tunnelling, etc.).

Prevent CPU and latency issues by using (such buss) sends ... and the very best multicomp compressors (Ozone 4), verbs, etc. ... oft behave well in my experience.

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    Thatsastrat
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1267
    Re:Ok I've never really used "SENDS" in Sonar.. what would I use them for? 2011/03/13 17:45:51 (permalink)
    Guitarhacker

It works for me.

Herb,
    I just checked to make sure on  an old copy of MC4 that I have and you can have up to five sends on a single track. Hope this helps.

Sonar Platimum, Win10 32bit, Quad Q6600,4G DDR2 Ram, BCF2000, Lexicon Lambda interface,Tascam US 1800, WD 500 GB HD, M-Audio AV40 Monitors, Line 6 DI Gold, Guitar Rig 5 Pro, hand full of guitars, Kawia PH50 Keyboard,Digitech GNX3
    http://www.soundclick.com/thatsastrat/%3C/a%3E
    http://www.myspace.com/thatsastrat/music
    I/O
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 127
    Re:Ok I've never really used "SENDS" in Sonar.. what would I use them for? 2011/03/13 19:02:03 (permalink)
    Another cool thing to add for using sends is panning.  An example with reverb would be to have your track panned to one side, and route the send to a buss with reverb and pan the buss to the other side.  A neat effect to hear the instrument on the left and it's reverb on the right.  Not sure how you would do this without a send to buss.
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:Ok I've never really used "SENDS" in Sonar.. what would I use them for? 2011/03/14 04:59:44 (permalink)
    ^^^^

There's a dedicated pan control contained within the send 'block'

This way you can still use the Reverb buss in stereo mode for those tracks that need it, and pan the effect to either side (from the track) for your scenario abvoe.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    I/O
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 127
    Re:Ok I've never really used "SENDS" in Sonar.. what would I use them for? 2011/03/14 07:50:16 (permalink)
    Bristol_Jonesey

^^^^

There's a dedicated pan control contained within the send 'block'

This way you can still use the Reverb buss in stereo mode for those tracks that need it, and pan the effect to either side (from the track) for your scenario abvoe.

That's what I dig most about this forum - I learn something new from it every day.  Cool!  Thanks Bristol.  Actually, I've been using sends for quite a while, and I still learned a bunch of cool ideas from this great thread.
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Ok I've never really used "SENDS" in Sonar.. what would I use them for? 2011/03/14 13:48:41 (permalink)
    Another cool thing to add for using sends is panning. An example with reverb would be to have your track panned to one side, and route the send to a buss with reverb and pan the buss to the other side. A neat effect to hear the instrument on the left and it's reverb on the right. Not sure how you would do this without a send to buss.

PerfectSpace lets you do that as an insert effect, too. The panning happens within the plugin. What's even cooler is you can have the pan sweep over time so that the reverb tail moves to one side as it fades out.

Another thought: in order to do panning effects with a reverb, you have to have a true stereo reverb effect. Not all reverbs process left and right sides independently, even those that have stereo outputs.

Of the bundled reverbs I've tested, StudioVerb2, Sonitus Reverb, and Lexicon Pantheon cannot be used this way, but PerfectSpace can. None of the free or inexpensive third-party reverbs I've tried (Ambience, Kjearhus Classic Reverb, epicVerb, Mo' Verb, Room Machine, TB Reverb, Anwida Light, M30 ) can do it, either. Of all the reverbs in my limited collection, only PerfectSpace and Ozone offer true stereo processing.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1