Ok, since you guys ROCK... let's talk about microphones

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Marcus Curtis
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 945
Re:Ok, since you guys ROCK... let's talk about microphones 2012/10/19 22:14:02 (permalink)
Razorwit

Marcus Curtis

well for acoustic guitar I use an AKG c 1000s. great mic for acoustic guitars. It does ok for background vocals and choir. This mic will not break the bank. Some of the best mics for acoustic guitar seem to be AKG 414, Neumann U87, Newmann KM 84 and KM184, AKGc3000 and AKGc1000

For electric guitar the trusty sure sm57 is a standard mic, Sennheiser md-421 also works good. I used my AKGc1000 on guitar cabs and good results as well

For bass I just use a direct box

For snare drums the sm57 does a good job, AKG 414, Neumann U87, Newmann KM 84 and KM184, AKGc3000 and AKGc1000 all work good too.

My favorite mics for the bass drum are AKG D-12 and D112, and the Sennheiser 421

When I record Acoustic guitar I run the mic through a preamp. These can be inexpensive and they add a great deal to the sound quality.

+1...some good suggestions here, though I'm not really sure what is meant by "run the mic through a preamp". Not running the mic through a pre isn't going to get you very far 
To the OP: I love my 414's on acoustic guitar...in fact, my favorite method of micing an acoustic right now is a M/S pair with a 414 on the mid and an R84 ribbon for the sides. That said, if I was only picking up one mic I would probably not go with either of those...they're a bit too specialized if that's your only option. I like my 87 on acoustic guitar, but unless you want to spend a bunch of money on a pair it's going to be in mono (which is often fine). I'd probably stay away from SDC's and ribbons until you have a "workhorse" type LDC, but that's just my opinion. I have 3 or 4 Senn 421's lying around and they are great on e. guitar and they're really outstanding on toms as well, but also wouldn't be my first choice for a workhorse mic.

Dean
Dean,

Gosh....I am sorry Dean. Your right! I should have been more clear. When I record I run the mic through an additional tube preamp. not just the preamp built into my audio device.

I plug my AKG into an ART MP studio V3. it takes care of the power for the condenser mic and it runs it the signal through a tube. it has a built in compressor which helps getting good vocal takes as well. If you're on a budget you can get the ART MP for about 29 bucks. You can get the Art MP v3 for about 79 bucks. I notice a big difference in recording an acoustic guitar when I use one of these devices with my AKG c1000

I am sorry for being so vague.

http://www.marcuscurtismusic.com/  

Windows 10 ultimate, Sonar Platinum, AMD Phenom 2 x6 1075T processor 3.00 GHz, (6 cores) 8 gigs of Ram, 

Audio interfaces=VS-100, Pod X3 live pro, Boss GT-100, Boss GP10
Midi Controllers=Edirol  PCR 800, roland GR-55.    

Ozone 7, Podfarm, Th2 Full Version, Melda, True Pianos Full Version, and a whole bunch of free VST plugins which can be found through my site.

Razorwit
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1235
Re:Ok, since you guys ROCK... let's talk about microphones 2012/10/19 22:42:28 (permalink)
Hi Marcus,
No apology necessary...I figured it was a typo. My apologies if my response came across as being a jerk instead of trying have a chuckle :)

Dean

Intel Core i7; 32GB RAM; Win10 Pro x64;RME HDSPe MADI FX; Orion 32 and Lynx Aurora 16; Mics and other stuff...
mkxxx
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 25
Re:Ok, since you guys ROCK... let's talk about microphones 2012/10/20 09:42:49 (permalink)
 Rob,  I think I'm looking for the same kind of microphone(s) as you ... I've done a lot of forum-reading on the subject - resulting in my two cents worth of possible advice.  Your recording-chain will probably only be as strong as its weakest link: If you don't have a 'good' sounding room, an expensive microphone could end up just revealing how bad your room sounds. Many people recommend initially applying acoustic treatment to your recording space. Then, it seems recommendable to check that your pre-amp(s), cabling, monitors, D/A or A/D converters etc. are 'good enough' for the rest of your signal chain, before buying expensive microphones. The most frequent advice I find is to practise mic-placement. It seems placement can enhance sound transduction better than badly used expensive equipment.  But I think that puts you in the dilemma of not having microphones to practice placement with, because of not being able to afford the expensive ones, and at the same time having no experience getting the most out of less expensive microphones that need placing well ...   As I don't have the capacity to buy and try many high-class microphones, I have gone for microphones recommended as useful on as many different instruments/genres as possible i.e. 'workhorse' microphones (= frequently/successfully used by reputable engineers). Hence, I own a Shure SM58, a Sennheiser e 906 and a recently acquired matched pair of Rode NT5 microphones. The idea being that I want to record guitars (amps/acoustic) and drum kits. The SM 58, which can be seen as an SM 57 when you remove the ball grille, has been used on snares and amps for years. I am learning a lot about placement with just the SM58. The e906 is used on amps and toms and has different transduction characteristics from the Shure. The matched NT5 pair are my first and only condensers to date. They can serve well for overheads on drums. I have used them as room mics for amp recording. I find they are good enough for many stereo live recording techniques on whole bands/orchestras. They can be used on vocals and on bass cabs. Acoustic guitar recordings often benefit from aiming two mics at different acoustically pleasing parts of the guitar (e.g. one at the neck, one at the body).    So, for an amateur with little experience, untrained ears, a bad room and little time to seriously hone any notable sound recording skills, I get along nicely with my very basic introductory-level microphone "cabinet". The main aspect that helped me along was the fact that these microphones seemed to me 'easy to use' - I got promising results from the start. Most of my perfecting after starting has been through better placement.  My 'ideal' collection of microphones would be full of expensive names/mics. But I'd have to save for exceptionally long to afford them, and then I'd be useless at employing them appropriately, for lack of experience and because I'd perhaps be too old. So, to start learning about placement, I chose affordable mics that have been recommended for many situations. I intend to extend my mic cabinet gradually in future by buying one large diaphragm dynamic microphone and another identical pair of dynamics, giving me a total of seven mics, requiring at least seven microphone inputs for when I attempt to fully mic my son's drum kit. Dynamics are often less sensitive than condensers, which can be an asset in a room that doesn't have pleasing acoustic characteristics and can help avoid a lot of cross talk from different parts of a drum kit or parts of a band.  I think my approach of using microphones that are frequently used has the added benefit that these microphones seem to be sold in larger quantities, thus bringing their price down somewhat. The disadvantage is, that you may end up replicating sounds more than creating new sounds with new and/or expensive mics. If you can, buy as many of the best and most expensive microphones as possible. Maybe they're more fun, easier to use and far more acoustically pleasing to work with, no matter how badly placed - I'll never know - but I might yet learn how to get a run-of-the-mill microphone sounding quite good, just by learning where to put it?

Intel Core™i5 2500 PC1155 6MB cache 3.3GHz | ASUS P8P67 1155 ATX DDR3 P67 Rev. 3.1 | 4x4GB Kingston DDR3 PC1333 CL9 | Sapphire HD6570 Ultimate | 120GB Intel 520 SERIES SSD SATA3 | 2x1TB WD SATA HDD 7200 64MB | Edirol FA-66 daisy-chained with Cakewalk SPS-66 | Sonar X1 Producer (X1d patch - still not happy!) | Win7 HP 64bit | Roland R8 | Tascam 38 | Schack headless bass | Line6 POD 2 | Marshall: JMP-1, Monobloc 9100, 2x1912 cabs | "Fender" Lite Ash Strat | ciao, mkxxx
SvenArne
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2719
Re:Ok, since you guys ROCK... let's talk about microphones 2012/10/20 18:11:12 (permalink)
Mystic38

interesting thread... I am also looking for input..

I know almost nought about mics, synths yes :) ..lol and currently have only a budget samson R11 mic and so am looking for a vocal mic for recording.. kinda $100-150 tops... i guess by default i would have gone sm58?...

my upcoming projects have female vocalist... with power in her voice...

thx

I'm not quite Shure a 58 would be such a big leap from your present mic. I bet the Samson is a close copy and you might not even be able to tell the difference. A nice budget Large Diaphragm Condenser from a good company like Audio Technica, MXL, SE electronics, Røde etc. will certainly be a good addition! Tame reflections with whatever you have at hand!

StarTekh
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2007
Re:Ok, since you guys ROCK... let's talk about microphones 2012/10/20 18:48:36 (permalink)
If you dont have thousands ... Equitek E100S Supercardioid Large Diaphragm Condenser Microphone
Marcus Curtis
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 945
Re:Ok, since you guys ROCK... let's talk about microphones 2012/10/20 19:59:57 (permalink)
Razorwit

Hi Marcus,
No apology necessary...I figured it was a typo. My apologies if my response came across as being a jerk instead of trying have a chuckle :)

Dean

naaa you were fine. It was kind of funny

http://www.marcuscurtismusic.com/  

Windows 10 ultimate, Sonar Platinum, AMD Phenom 2 x6 1075T processor 3.00 GHz, (6 cores) 8 gigs of Ram, 

Audio interfaces=VS-100, Pod X3 live pro, Boss GT-100, Boss GP10
Midi Controllers=Edirol  PCR 800, roland GR-55.    

Ozone 7, Podfarm, Th2 Full Version, Melda, True Pianos Full Version, and a whole bunch of free VST plugins which can be found through my site.

rcrees
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 392
Re:Ok, since you guys ROCK... let's talk about microphones 2012/10/20 22:48:03 (permalink)
Well, in a short amount of time, the main thing I've learned about microphones is you can never have too many   The mantra seems to be "best mic for the job". I can spend anywhere from $100 to $10,000 and not waste my money.  Every mic is "the best" in a given situation, it seems.

As I said, I've been using a very cheap mic (an Audio Technica Pro 3H that came free with a 4 track recorder I bought years ago) that I see now on Ebay for $30... Strange thing is, with my new Focusrite 2i2 (GREAT pre amp) and SONAR plugs, I've been able to get a decent sound out of even this cheapie.

So, right now I'm just looking for a "workhorse" that won't break my bank, or isn't more than I need at the moment considering my limited use.  If you type in "workhorse" in a search for microphones you generally get one answer... the Shure SM57.  No kidding, I now remember using this mic as the front man for 3 bands from 1965-1985. I'm gonna buy one just for the memories!  Just holding it will get my creative juices flowing. From what I've read and heard, the quality is plenty good enough for my little studio. And at $100, I can buy it tomorrow and still pay my rent.

I can't put a price on the help and advice all you guys have put out there, for me and anyone else who asks.

May you be rewarded with good karma and good health!

Rob

http://www.rcreesmusic.com
Dell XPS 8300, Intel Core i7, 8gigs ram, AMD Radeon 6670, Two SATA II 500gig hard drives, one 250gig external USB drive, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, M-Audio Keystation 61es, Windows 7 Home Premium, SONAR X3 Producer, many sample libraries including EastWest PLAYx64 Gold Complete, RA, Stormdrum and Choirs
Mystic38
Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1622
Re:Ok, since you guys ROCK... let's talk about microphones 2012/10/20 23:35:22 (permalink)
SvenArne

Mystic38

interesting thread... I am also looking for input..

I know almost nought about mics, synths yes :) ..lol and currently have only a budget samson R11 mic and so am looking for a vocal mic for recording.. kinda $100-150 tops... i guess by default i would have gone sm58?...

my upcoming projects have female vocalist... with power in her voice...

thx

I'm not quite Shure a 58 would be such a big leap from your present mic. I bet the Samson is a close copy and you might not even be able to tell the difference. A nice budget Large Diaphragm Condenser from a good company like Audio Technica, MXL, SE electronics, Røde etc. will certainly be a good addition! Tame reflections with whatever you have at hand!

After some further research i came to the same conclusion about the Shure..certainly there were comparative reviews.. and so i ordered a AT2035..for which i could find nothing but good>excellent reviews.  your advice about treatment is appreciated..I have been eyeing my (unused) front hall as at 4'x6' it is looking really attractive for its potential as a booth with a couple of removeable acoustic sheets and a thick rug.. thought tbh i may try with a bunch of wool blankets first
thx

HPE-580T with i7-950, 8G, 1.5T, ATI6850, Win7/64, Motu 828 III Hybrid, Motu Midi Express, Sonar Platinum, Komplete 9, Ableton Live 9 & Push 2, Melodyne Editor and other stuff, KRK VXT8 Monitors
Virus Ti2 Polar, Fantom G6, Yamaha S70XS, Novation Nova, Novation Nova II, Korg MS2000, Waldorf Micro Q, NI Maschine Studio, TC-VoiceLive Rack, 2012 Gibson Les Paul Standard, 2001 Gibson Les Paul DC, 1999 Fender Am Hardtail Strat, Fender Blues Jr, Orange TH30/PPC212, Tak EF360GF, one mic, no talent.
Gaffpro
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 792
Re:Ok, since you guys ROCK... let's talk about microphones 2012/10/21 13:14:25 (permalink)
I recently picked up an Equiteck E100S and was pleasantly surprised on how great it sounded on vocals.....need to try it on acoustic guitar....I've gone through alot of mikes on acoustic guitar and I'll probably get a KM184 down the road

Dell Studio XPS intel i7860, 8 gigs dual ram, Sonar X2 (x64), Windows 7

RME UCX     Yamaha NS10, Equator D5, JBL LSR 2325 monitors
Vintech X73i, Great River ME-1NV, Joe Meek VC3Q preamps
RNC 1773, DBX 163x, Joe Meek VC3Q compressors
DBX 263x deesser
Neumann U87, TLM 103, AKG 214, CAD E100s 
Peluso 2247SE 
AT4050 and 4051
Shure KSM27, SM7, SM57, and UnidyneIII (from the 60's)
Other assorted mikes
eric_peterson
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1103
Re:Ok, since you guys ROCK... let's talk about microphones 2012/10/23 02:09:01 (permalink)
Don't put a high-quality mic in a crappy pre and blame the mic.  I am NOT a believer in spending a fortune on high-end, magical, hand-made boutique pre-amps,

I will add to this, don't forget the impact of the room! 

Many moons ago before I had my own dedicated home studio and I lived in an apartment I found out how important this was. I had upgraded my mics and pre-amps and was pretty happy. But, my recordings still didn't have the professional "edge" that I was striving for. Ironically, running cables down the hall into a walk-in closet full of clothing which worked as absorbers did wonders for my mixes, even more impact than upgrading my mics after their first upgrade had made. Basically, I was recording a a room with poor acoustics and right next to my PC which had fans and hard drives making all kinds of noise, the sum total of that noise over all recorded tracks in a given song was killing me. You couldn't really hear it explicitly, it just seemed "off". As always, YMMV. 
konradh
Max Output Level: -42 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3325
Re:Ok, since you guys ROCK... let's talk about microphones 2012/10/23 11:00:56 (permalink)
Hey, Eric, thanks for adding that comment to my thing about pres: you make an excellent point.

One thing that will help is to use a reflexion filter which protects against reflections coming from behind the mic, and then hang a quilt, heavy blanket, or polyester duvet ("doona" for you Aussies ) behind the singer.  I am guilty of recording vocals in control rooms, spare rooms, and other untreated spaces, but this makeshift remedy works pretty well.  (Obviously, the louder the singer the bigger the problem with reflections.)

Konrad
Current album and more: http://www.themightykonrad.com/

Sonar X1d Producer. V-Studio 700. PC: Intel i7 CPU 3.07GHz, 12 GB RAM. Win 7 64-bit. RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLPC, Ivory II, Vienna Symphonic, Hollywood Strings, Electr6ity, Acoustic Legends, FabFour, Scarbee Rick/J-Bass/P-Bass, Kontakt 5. NI Session Guitar. Boldersounds, Noisefirm. EZ Drummer 2. EZ Mix. Melodyne Assist. Guitar Rig 4. Tyros 2, JV-1080, Kurzweil PC2R, TC Helicon VoiceWorks+. Rode NT2a, EV RE20. Presonus Eureka.  Rokit 6s. 
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1