Okay, I'm really losing it now...

Author
Nutty
Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2056
2008/10/19 19:38:41 (permalink)

Okay, I'm really losing it now...

I'm doing some more vocal tracks on the current song I'm working on. I decided to try with 2 microphones, so I'm recording one left, one right. I have all other tracks muted except the midi files. There is another voice/track coming from somewhere. I can' t figure out was is happening. I've checked 10 times and there should only be the two tracks I'm recording and the midi tracks. Any idea? I think this is the first time I try with two mic's fpr vpca;s so maybe that has something to do with it? Don't know where this ghost came from. I wouldn't care so much is the phrasing was the same, but it is noticeably different in some places. I listened to the two new tracks separately and it happened to both, so there is a hidden track somewhere. Ahh...could that be....I don't know how to hide them so it would be unintentional. Or, I just finally took the last step into senality!

Thanks.
Annette

Nutty /Annette
http://www.soundclick.com/atmmusic
Using: Sonar 8 Studio; Band in a Box; PreSonus Firebox; M-Audio Axiom 25; Mics: Audio Technica ATM610, MXL 990/991; M-Audio Studiophile AV 30 Reference Speakers and many guitars

10 Replies Related Threads

Mock
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 70
    RE: Okay, I'm really losing it now... 2008/10/19 20:09:53 (permalink)
    Hey Nutty! Dumb question for you, do you still get the Ghost vocal when both tracks are muted? or is it just in the back ground of the tracks. You might be picking up your monitors or the mics might be resonating into each other not that I would know I haven't tried recording vocals yet just adding my two cents, Jim.

Using: Ibanez and Washburn Acoustic Guitars, Jackson ( Dinky) and B C Rich Mockingbird electric Guitars, Vox Amps, RP80, MC4 and one faithful old dog http://www.soundclick.com/StainedGlassStudio

I wish I was the person my dog thinks I am.
    Nutty
    RE: Okay, I'm really losing it now... 2008/10/19 20:25:20 (permalink)
    Not a dumb question; I've tried to think of everythign too. No, it goes away if it all the vocal tracks are muted. I have inadvertently recorded over several tracks (there should be an alarm that goes off when this happensLOL) in the past couple of days, so I'm wondering if that is what happened here. I don't know if it would play both in that case or not. Of course one of those recordings are my best yet. I guess I'll delete and start over. Or maybe I'll try moving tracks down and see if I can find the hidden vocals.

Thanks Jim.

Nutty /Annette
    Using: Sonar 8 Studio; Band in a Box; PreSonus Firebox; M-Audio Axiom 25; Mics: Audio Technica ATM610, MXL 990/991; M-Audio Studiophile AV 30 Reference Speakers and many guitars
    RobertB
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: Okay, I'm really losing it now... 2008/10/19 20:35:04 (permalink)
    I have inadvertently recorded over several tracks (there should be an alarm that goes off when this happensLOL) in the past couple of days, so I'm wondering if that is what happened here. I don't know if it would play both in that case or not.

That is a prime suspect. The same thing can happen with MIDI. You may have clips buried under the ones that you can see.
    Do you have "Sound on Sound' selected?
    If you don't delete the information in the track, it will just pile up clips.
    You can drag the ends of your clips to one side to reveal any hidden clips beneath them. This is the Slip Edit function.
    What you do next depends on what you want to do with the clips.
    You can delete any unwanted clips, or you can drag them to another track if you want to keep them where you can see them.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Okay, I'm really losing it now... 2008/10/19 20:47:30 (permalink)
    Nutty,

A human voice is mono.. Why not use one mic? Every studio pic I've ever seen of the pro's has them singing into ONE mic.

Robert makes a good point...make sure Sound on Sound is NOT selected.... that will pile the new right on with the old... I always set it up as Overwrite.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Nutty
    RE: Okay, I'm really losing it now... 2008/10/19 20:49:01 (permalink)
    Found it! I had moved the tracks to an empty track and found nothing. I didn't think of sliding the end of the tracks....and sure enough under track 24 was the ghost track.

Thanks Bob.

BTW: "Your" microphones are picking up the TV from downstairs (I'm upstairs)....The big kid (aka Hubby) was playing wii and now watching the Simpsons...so I just close up recording for the night. The little kids I can manouevre, but not the big kid..

Nutty /Annette
    Nutty
    RE: Okay, I'm really losing it now... 2008/10/19 20:58:20 (permalink)
    Hmm..I don't know where the sound on sound is yet. That is one thing I miss from MC 4 is the alternate control bar. I used the one that had the numbers for the markers, so I would just click on the number I wanted. Punch in recording, looping, etc was all there spelled out. Some of it is in the control bar, but it's not the same. Now I have to press F5 twice to get at the markers. Maybe there is another control bar, but I haven;t found it yet.

Herb,

I know they are mono, but I had the two microphones out becasue I was recording my guitar. So, I was curious mor than anything to see how it would work on vocals.

Bob,

Surprising the smaller mic (MXL 991) clips very easily. I have the big mic (MXL 990) cloest to the guitar, voice etc. and it doesn't...That little one is powerful or I'm doing something wrong.
    post edited by Nutty - 2008/10/19 21:01:40

Nutty /Annette
    RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: Okay, I'm really losing it now... 2008/10/19 21:00:26 (permalink)
    Glad you found it.
    Do you remember the Sprint ads with the pin drop? They got nothin' on these mics. I can hear the cat padding down the stairs here.
    And I'm with GH. Use the 990 (the big one) for your vocals, by itself. Sing into the side with the lettering.
    The 991(the pencil mic) is more for instruments. Dual micing an acoustic guitar is good because different elements of the sound come from different parts of the instrument, but that is not necessary with vocals. Your voice only comes from your mouth, and that is a very focused source.(that sentence reads really strange, but you know what I mean)

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Okay, I'm really losing it now... 2008/10/19 21:29:05 (permalink)
    OK.... my bust.... I record the guitar straight so it didn't cross my mind...I thought it was for room ambience..... sorry....

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Nutty
    RE: Okay, I'm really losing it now... 2008/10/19 21:55:22 (permalink)
    Yes Guitarhacker..the very first time I venture out on my own to try something out my own without reading a ton of material and asking questions about it ...and you nailed me on it!!

Just kidding of course...no worries here.

Nutty /Annette
    gamblerschoice
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3226
    RE: Okay, I'm really losing it now... 2008/10/19 23:48:34 (permalink)
    You know, since both mics are different, they will have different sounds. It might not seem like much, but since they are designed with different characteristics, they will color the sound they record different. You could use this in the mix process, and also, you have a "cloned" track, so you could add effects to each differently, and I can't think of another way to use the word "different, so I'll just stop here.
    Later
    Albert

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
    http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
    partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
    lonesome road back home.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1