Ola Englund using logic as a soft vuitar amp live

Author
ØSkald
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1248
2018/10/23 09:36:06 (permalink)

Ola Englund using logic as a soft vuitar amp live

He is mentioning a low latency function in Logic. Is that a gimmick? If the function isn't permanent then why bother? If i have a large project, I just put up the buffer size one step. To record fast stuff, I make the project as clean as possible, or even make a second with a stereo mix of the other project.

Asus TUF Z370-Pro Gaming, Bugera Trirec Infinium, Cakewalk Platinum, Corsair RM750 750W, Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4x8GB, Gigabyte GTX 960 2GB, Genelec 6010A with 5040A sub, Ibanez AEG10II BK, Ibanez Iron Label RGIR27E BK, Ibanez Iron Label RGIR28FE BK, Ibanez RG550 RF, Ibanez RG570 FMCS, Ibanez SR506 BM, Intel Core i7 8700K, USB, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate with Kontrol S61, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD, Samsung SSDs 840 EVO 1TB, Toontrack EZdrummer 2, Toontrack EZMix 2, Toontrack Superior Drummer 3, UA Apollo Twin Duo, Windows 10 Pro

4 Replies Related Threads

kennywtelejazz
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7151
    Re: Ola Englund using logic as a soft vuitar amp live 2018/10/23 16:16:53 (permalink)
    There are a couple of things in this video I feel we may need to take a look at

#1 , He premixed and arranged his chosen songs / material out side of the Logic project he is showing in this video .

I would be willing to bet that as separate song projects each individual project out side of his backing track program / project stretched his computer resources to the point where the song would have a much higher latency .
    I am almost positive  that he would not want to fly someplace and play the full on song project as the multi track he recorded in front of a live  audience

#2 , He is not doing anything that can not be done anyplace else .

How much effort does it really take to have a mix that you are happy with ?
    That there is the Real Key here ..a mix you are happy with so you can play your guitar live in real-time and have to total confidence that you will Always Nail Your Sound or one that you will be happy with .

When you have a mix you are happy with it is really no big thing to create a project including a template set up just for live guitar playing that contains all your effects ...
    Since you have a track or number of tracks that are just playing your premixed songs DRY W NO TRACK effects on the song tracks ...
    Is it really asking all that much for your computer to handle a number of pre chosen guitar amp and effects simulations that will be automated ?
    Turn something on , possible added latency . turn something off , no latency

#3,  I can tell you right now that it doesn't matter one bit as far as The chosen DAW goes

All I saw there was 2 tracks with audio set up along a project timeline in a pre chosen song order combined and divided between the 2 audio tracks with one primary track that appears to be nothing more than a self created Guitar Track Template that contains all the effects and amp sims he wants to be able to recall VIA a pre set automated chain of events .

Anything he did in that video can be done in Cakewalk by Bandlab , Studio One Pro , Reaper , Mixcrat 8 Pro , Ableton Live , Acid Pro 8 , Samlitude Pro X , and a whole bunch of other DAW's

FWIW , I have Logic 9 on my 2 older Macs .
    I will say even my older Mac's are a true joy to do audio in due to Mac's having Core Audio ...
    IMHO I think Core Audio may be a big reason why you may see a high percentage of  people using Mac's on stage
    like it or not PC users Core Audio just works ...
    Just so we are clear my current situation has been Windows 10 PC use most of the time . I have no complaints what so ever with my 4 middle of the road PC's
    Win 10 PC use gets 85% of my music time to OSX 's 15 %
    ( that may change  when I get a modern Mac , still no complaints w Win for now )

#4 I have been doing what he has been doing in his video for YEARS ...
    The thing is I don't make how to u tube videos on how to do it and people don't know who the Eff I am

As I just mentioned what works for his  live work and his gigs as a clinician turns out to be the exact same thing I have been doing for years when it comes time for me to record a lead solo on any of my song postings ..

The main point of departure for me is I may use multiple DAW's to bring my sounds together first .

Example , I do like to track my basic tracks and mix in Cakewalk .
    Once I have a working song file I will create a rough mix to play over and see what other sounds may make their way into my tune if I feel it needs it .
    The main reason for this is many . I have multiple computers PC and Mac . Most of my computers have various stages of all The DAW's and music products I have purchased over the years sprinkled through out these various machines ...
    Some obvious examples are if I want to use Logic I have to use my Mac .
    Or another  perfect example would be when I bought SONAR X 3 PE it came with a 2 computer license for Melodyne Essentials , and a 2 computer  license  for Addictive  Drums 1 that later became Addictive Drums 2 ..
    Also , when I factor in one machine has all my i lock stuff on it and some of the other products I have I'm left with a situation where the core DAW programs  I use remain consistent pretty much across the board .
    Plug in Suites , amp sims, and various VST synths and plugs are not on every machine of mine due to licensing , so if I want to use XYZ I have to go and use tha machine that has XYZ on it ...
    Now some people may feel that is a real PITA to work this way  yet I have been doing this long enough to have had some high up people around here criticize me 5 years ago for doing it this way , then they flip flop and sing a whole different tune upstairs in the main forum all of a sudden  
    Don't worry I'm not gonna mention your name " Your Majesty "   

OK lets get back on track Kenny .
    The Last time I checked ( yesterday ) the Write and Read functions in Cakewalk work brilliantly
    IMHO I think that some users may not realize how easy it really is to use that function ...
    When you have an effect you want to tweak and experiment with the whole process is as easy as pulling up the effect so you can see it in the GUI while engaging the Write button , make sure you have your song in the thimeline where you want to record your automation . Then once your ready , hit play and use your mouse to dial in the knob on the effect or fader or what ever when done to hear it and see it hit the read button ...it's that simple...

AYE AYE AYE this is why I don't have a twitter acct . 
    I simply don't know how to keep it under a thousand words 

Have a good one

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
    The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
    I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
    The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re: Ola Englund using logic as a soft vuitar amp live 2018/10/24 00:02:35 (permalink)
    FWIW, I'm running Helix Native at 1ms total round-trip latency.
    Ola Englund isn't beating that with any Mac.  

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    ØSkald
    Re: Ola Englund using logic as a soft vuitar amp live 2018/10/31 09:33:21 (permalink)
    Jim Roseberry
    FWIW, I'm running Helix Native at 1ms total round-trip latency.
    Ola Englund isn't beating that with any Mac.  

Lucky you. 
    I have newer tried it.
    I use a Pod 500X for my rig with 4 cable solution on a Bugera Trirec.
    Only problem is that the loop on the Trirec is line level, so I struggle a little with volume on all stages. I cant find a way of putting the only FX Send i use to the input on the Trirac as the only guitar level, but the rest of Send/Return to line level.

But I'm way off here…. Lol

Glad your happy with the Helix.

Asus TUF Z370-Pro Gaming, Bugera Trirec Infinium, Cakewalk Platinum, Corsair RM750 750W, Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4x8GB, Gigabyte GTX 960 2GB, Genelec 6010A with 5040A sub, Ibanez AEG10II BK, Ibanez Iron Label RGIR27E BK, Ibanez Iron Label RGIR28FE BK, Ibanez RG550 RF, Ibanez RG570 FMCS, Ibanez SR506 BM, Intel Core i7 8700K, USB, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate with Kontrol S61, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD, Samsung SSDs 840 EVO 1TB, Toontrack EZdrummer 2, Toontrack EZMix 2, Toontrack Superior Drummer 3, UA Apollo Twin Duo, Windows 10 Pro
    ØSkald
    Re: Ola Englund using logic as a soft vuitar amp live 2018/10/31 09:39:25 (permalink)
    kennywtelejazz
    There are a couple of things in this video I feel we may need to take a look at

#1 , He premixed and arranged his chosen songs / material out side of the Logic project he is showing in this video .

I would be willing to bet that as separate song projects each individual project out side of his backing track program / project stretched his computer resources to the point where the song would have a much higher latency .
    I am almost positive  that he would not want to fly someplace and play the full on song project as the multi track he recorded in front of a live  audience

#2 , He is not doing anything that can not be done anyplace else .

How much effort does it really take to have a mix that you are happy with ?
    That there is the Real Key here ..a mix you are happy with so you can play your guitar live in real-time and have to total confidence that you will Always Nail Your Sound or one that you will be happy with .

When you have a mix you are happy with it is really no big thing to create a project including a template set up just for live guitar playing that contains all your effects ...
    Since you have a track or number of tracks that are just playing your premixed songs DRY W NO TRACK effects on the song tracks ...
    Is it really asking all that much for your computer to handle a number of pre chosen guitar amp and effects simulations that will be automated ?
    Turn something on , possible added latency . turn something off , no latency

#3,  I can tell you right now that it doesn't matter one bit as far as The chosen DAW goes

All I saw there was 2 tracks with audio set up along a project timeline in a pre chosen song order combined and divided between the 2 audio tracks with one primary track that appears to be nothing more than a self created Guitar Track Template that contains all the effects and amp sims he wants to be able to recall VIA a pre set automated chain of events .

Anything he did in that video can be done in Cakewalk by Bandlab , Studio One Pro , Reaper , Mixcrat 8 Pro , Ableton Live , Acid Pro 8 , Samlitude Pro X , and a whole bunch of other DAW's

FWIW , I have Logic 9 on my 2 older Macs .
    I will say even my older Mac's are a true joy to do audio in due to Mac's having Core Audio ...
    IMHO I think Core Audio may be a big reason why you may see a high percentage of  people using Mac's on stage
    like it or not PC users Core Audio just works ...
    Just so we are clear my current situation has been Windows 10 PC use most of the time . I have no complaints what so ever with my 4 middle of the road PC's
    Win 10 PC use gets 85% of my music time to OSX 's 15 %
    ( that may change  when I get a modern Mac , still no complaints w Win for now )

#4 I have been doing what he has been doing in his video for YEARS ...
    The thing is I don't make how to u tube videos on how to do it and people don't know who the Eff I am

As I just mentioned what works for his  live work and his gigs as a clinician turns out to be the exact same thing I have been doing for years when it comes time for me to record a lead solo on any of my song postings ..

The main point of departure for me is I may use multiple DAW's to bring my sounds together first .

Example , I do like to track my basic tracks and mix in Cakewalk .
    Once I have a working song file I will create a rough mix to play over and see what other sounds may make their way into my tune if I feel it needs it .
    The main reason for this is many . I have multiple computers PC and Mac . Most of my computers have various stages of all The DAW's and music products I have purchased over the years sprinkled through out these various machines ...
    Some obvious examples are if I want to use Logic I have to use my Mac .
    Or another  perfect example would be when I bought SONAR X 3 PE it came with a 2 computer license for Melodyne Essentials , and a 2 computer  license  for Addictive  Drums 1 that later became Addictive Drums 2 ..
    Also , when I factor in one machine has all my i lock stuff on it and some of the other products I have I'm left with a situation where the core DAW programs  I use remain consistent pretty much across the board .
    Plug in Suites , amp sims, and various VST synths and plugs are not on every machine of mine due to licensing , so if I want to use XYZ I have to go and use tha machine that has XYZ on it ...
    Now some people may feel that is a real PITA to work this way  yet I have been doing this long enough to have had some high up people around here criticize me 5 years ago for doing it this way , then they flip flop and sing a whole different tune upstairs in the main forum all of a sudden  
    Don't worry I'm not gonna mention your name " Your Majesty "   

OK lets get back on track Kenny .
    The Last time I checked ( yesterday ) the Write and Read functions in Cakewalk work brilliantly
    IMHO I think that some users may not realize how easy it really is to use that function ...
    When you have an effect you want to tweak and experiment with the whole process is as easy as pulling up the effect so you can see it in the GUI while engaging the Write button , make sure you have your song in the thimeline where you want to record your automation . Then once your ready , hit play and use your mouse to dial in the knob on the effect or fader or what ever when done to hear it and see it hit the read button ...it's that simple...

AYE AYE AYE this is why I don't have a twitter acct . 
    I simply don't know how to keep it under a thousand words 

Have a good one

Kenny

I thought......

If i quote your whole post, mine will be longer.

The post, i mean.

In my first post here, i was mostly refering to the Logic function that is (if you enable it) making your DAW even faster in latency.

Like.
    Why wont you have that as permanent ON.
    Why would you ever turn something like that of?

I begg BandLab. Please don't make anything like that for our Cakewalk.
    Just make Cakewalk, as fast as it can be without "Turbo", "Pro", "Happy hour" features.

As for your comment.

Tottally AGREE Kenny!!!

Øyvind Skald

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1