Old-school Cakewalk users, sign in!

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 8
Author
harmony gardens
Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3490
RE: Old-school Cakewalk users, sign in! 2004/10/18 20:43:05 (permalink)
My very first set up was a Wulitzer Electric Piano, and a Farfisa Organ. I bought a Big Muff Fuzz pedal, which gave me the ability to play power chords. It allowed me to do well enough to get into a good band, and made my high school years fun! We would record between two cassette decks, until our bass player got a Teac 4 track real to real.

My first synth was a DX7, which is still one of my controllers. (never say die) I had Hybrid Arts SMPTE Track on an Atari ST computer. One meg of RAM, and no hard drive. I picked up a TX 81Z, and Ensoniq Mirage, and then a Korg M1R. I synced it to a Tascam 644. I actually used that system for quite a while. I got on Cakewalk with Pro Audio 9.

Sonar 4 is definately like a dream come true for me.
b rock
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8717
RE: Old-school Cakewalk users, sign in! 2004/10/18 21:03:26 (permalink)
Technically, my first "sequencer" was the Korg Poly-800 synth that my parents got in the 80's. It was a 256 step sequencer, and it would not record in real time. You had to either play a note, or press the "step" key to insert a rest. And I think you had to start over if you messed up.
Boy, that brings back memories. That was my experience, except for the 'parents' part. So frustrating that I upgraded to a Korg SQ-1 and a Yamaha drum machine with about 8 sounds as companions. The SQ-1 has some obscure diskettes that were only used in some 'word-processer'; a glorified typewriter.

The Poly-800 was as described, but only had one filter that everything got routed through. It made for quite a unique sound; I've still got it (somewhere). And don't get me started on my RS Color Computer 'DAW': I upgraded from 4K to 16K RAM [could it have a couple hundred for the (socketed) chips?], and I've been upgrading obsessively ever since.
Middleman
Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4397
RE: Old-school Cakewalk users, sign in! 2004/10/18 23:07:42 (permalink)
Well, it was back in the winter of 93....

I also had the SCC-1 which was quite the luxury back then. A virtual orchestra on a PC card. I did the whole soundtrack to a PC game with one however. Used Cakewalk 1.0 as I remember. The program came on floppies back then and I still have the orginal disks. I bought a midi controller, had to be one of the first from Roland the PC 200 MKII.

Geez, I've been a cakewalk customer a long time. Let's see $200 per year for 10 years, that's equal to a really good preamp but I would have waited a long time to use it.
zendin
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 396
RE: Old-school Cakewalk users, sign in! 2004/10/18 23:27:01 (permalink)
I cut my MIDI teeth on Cakewalk v 1.0 or 1.1 back around '87 or '88. I was running it on an original IBM PC (8088) with a monochrome monitor, two 5 1/4" floppy drives and a whopping 384K RAM (I'd upgraded). My mother-in-law worked for IBM at the time and she'd gotten a really good deal on it for us.

It had no hard drive, so I had to put a line in my config statement to have it cache over from A to B if needed.

The day I bought Cakewalk I also bought a Roland RD-300s digital piano, a D-50, an Ensoniq SQ-80, a Yamaha TX81Z, a Yamah RX-5 drum machine and a Yamaha SPX90II. I think I made the sales guy's year!

Needless to say, I was WAY in over my head for quite awhile, but within a matter of weeks I became "Dr. MIDI" to all my friends. I combined all this stuff with a friend's gear (Studiomaster 16 channel mixer, Tascam MSR-16 recorder, etc. slaved to my computer with a Syncman Plus) and ran a smalll project studio for a couple of years.

I actually still have all of my old equipment, except for the RX-5 which I dumped after a couple of years. I don't use anything but the D-50, which I still use as my controller because I've always like it's feel. Well, actually my daughter also uses the RD-300s for piano practice.

I went up through about '93, and Cakewalk 4 PRO when I mothballed everything to focus on family and career. A couple of years ago when I decided to get back into things I found my old Cakewalk 4 5 1/4" diskette and faxed a copy of it to Cakewalk and they upgraded me to Sonar XL 2.2 for $179! I just got 4 PE in last week, but have yet to load it.

Thanks for the memories!
< Message edited by zendin -- 10/18/2004 11:35:24 PM >
losguy
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5506
RE: Old-school Cakewalk users, sign in! 2004/10/18 23:38:09 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: zendin
A couple of years ago when I decided to get back into things I found my old Cakewalk 4 5 1/4" diskette and faxed a copy of it to Cakewalk and they upgraded me to Sonar XL 2.2 for $179! I just got 4 PE in last week, but have yet to load it.

Memories are cool, yes, but this is one of many huge reasons why Cakewalk is so cool.

Psalm 30:12
All pure waves converge at the Origin
JohnnyJones
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 49
RE: Old-school Cakewalk users, sign in! 2004/10/19 01:31:58 (permalink)
I nearly started out my sequencing career using one of the earliest versions of Cakewalk (I'm talking Sept. 1987). I came very close. Instead, I decided to get an Amiga and Dr. T's (as well as Soundscape and all of its extras). At the time I was more impressed with Amigas (the whole 68000-based series of computers, actually). This all changed around 1997. Support for Amigas had all but evaporated, and PC's were getting much better. I bought Cakewalk 7 and have upgraded ever since.
Brad
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 605
RE: Old-school Cakewalk users, sign in! 2004/10/19 01:56:25 (permalink)
Well at first we used to record with an old Tascam 4 track.. but as far as Cakewalk goes. Cakewalk 4.0 was my first version. It might've been 4.1 on CD ROM I also used the demo on floppy disk for cakewalk 3.0. But when sequencers came along our whole world changed.. I used to synch my old Roland TB303 and TR 606 together back in '83 while recording with my Tascam porta studio 244. I just got rid of that . I gave it to my brother.. It just gets better all the time. If I had Sonar or Cakewalk back when I was 18. I would've never left my room..
< Message edited by Brad -- 10/18/2004 11:03:50 PM >
davidchristopher
Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1360
RE: Old-school Cakewalk users, sign in! 2004/10/19 01:59:19 (permalink)
Cakewalk for Windows 1.0 something... it came with my Soundballster Pro. I think that was in 1989 or maybe 1990... Maybe?

I was just thinking about that today while reading through a post here on the forum that pointed out that S4 (and S3 for that matter) use 32bit float for internal processing. I'm recording audio at 192khz with a 24bit depth...

but when I started out...

I'd hooked up my BOSS DR550 MkI and a really cheezy, but touch sensitive and midi capable Homner keyboard to the pc joystick/midi port and patched everything into my Tascam 424 (also a mk1). I'd sequence the drums & piano and hit 'record' on the 4 track...

That was a lot of fun, but if you were to sit me down and tell me that I'd stop using that old 40mhz AMD 386 machine (with a MASSIVE 120mb hard disk and a MASSIVE 4mb of ram) eventually move on up to something 75 times faster, with 2000 times the hard disk space and 512 times more memory... I'd have passed out I think.
BillyBoy
  • Total Posts : 33
RE: Old-school Cakewalk users, sign in! 2004/10/19 02:40:24 (permalink)
Wow you guys are bringing back some great memories. I started out way back when on one of the first Tascam 8-08 eight tracks made (serial#0342, I still have it). The first sequencer I owned was a Linn sequencer which I used with a Juno 106 (still got that one too) an Ensoniq Mirage and a Yamaha FB-01. Then migrated to my first PC, a lunchbox size 8088 with 256k of RAM and a 20 MB HD which I never thought I'd be able to fill. I used a hardware/software combination by a company called "ProMidi" which soon went out of business and moved to Cake 2.0 for Dos. Cake 3 with my MQX 32 was solid as a rock on that old lunchbox. Did a couple years of 4 or 5 nights a week gigging with it and never had it go down. I've used every version of Cakewalk since and just think it's remarkable how far we've come. The folks at Cakewalk are to be commended for their innovation and the focus and attention they pay to customer satisfaction.
wwwill
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 207
RE: Old-school Cakewalk users, sign in! 2004/10/19 03:54:42 (permalink)
Cakewalk Professional 3.0 for Windows 3.X running on a 486. In 1994 this was miles ahead of my Alesis MMT-8. I could actually have more than 8 MIDI tracks WOW. My Alesis was miles ahead of my previous sequencing solution: sending MIDI notes from my RX17 drum machine to my CZ-101. Make shift step sequencer with no sustain information and definately make shure you turn down the volume on the instruments playing the notes.

Once Cakewalk Professional became Cakewalk Pro Audio I dreamed of eliminating my Fostex R8 in order to do multitrack audio recording. No more head calibrations, no more tape costs, no more SMPTE dropout ... "and no more got damn jerky beef" (Trading Places). I think I got lucky by upgrading in mutliples of 3: Pro version 3 to Pro Audio ver. 6 to Pro audio ver. 9. Accounts from various users said these were the best version of their time. I certainly had very little complaints and provided much more recorder tracks and functions. Don't try cutting and pasting audio clips on a reel-to-reel without a splicing block, patience and a stress ball.

While the recorder functions were great, the mixer functions still left much to be desired. Along somes Sonar. I passed on ver. 1 got version 2, 3 Producer and now 4 Producer. I haven't installed 4 yet, it's sitting on my desk looking like the third-string quaterback saying "just put me in coach". Honestly I haven't used any of the loop functions and it took me a while to get used to the new track view as I used lots of keyboad shortcuts. Version 3 was pretty exciting: VST support finally and better MIDI remote control. I can't wait to test version 4.

To make a long story short, Cakewalk has come a long way from fantastic sequencer to versatile hard disk recorder. I hope version 5 has some features that would really make it a nice recorder AND mixer:

- AUTOMATION SETS: I want to have different automated mixes without having to have different files.

- CHANNEL INSERTS: Let the track signal be sent to an "out" on the sound card and returned to an "in" on the sound card. Some people want to use their Lang, Neve or whatever.

-BETTER REMOTE CONTROL: assign more than 4 parameters per plugin.
RockMaestro
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1245
RE: Old-school Cakewalk users, sign in! 2004/10/19 04:01:37 (permalink)
Cakewalk Home Studio 7 was the first, Sonar 4P is the current (but probably not last).
RockMaestro
  • Total Posts : 1245
RE: Old-school Cakewalk users, sign in! 2004/10/19 04:03:09 (permalink)
I guess that means I'm a late comer then!
glazfolk
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5253
RE: Old-school Cakewalk users, sign in! 2004/10/19 04:17:04 (permalink)
I started with Cakewalk v minus 7. Electricity had just been invented, so we set the kids to work on a treadmill hooked up to a home made generator that I knocked up just for the purpose. It only churned out enough electrickery though to run the keyboard. so we had to used candles to power up the computer ...

Sorry, I just couldn't resist it!!

Geoff Francis - Huon Delta Studios

AMD Opteron 246 2GHZ twin CPU
Tyan S2875 AVRF Dual M'board
2 Gig RAM, Three Monitors w NVIDIA GeForce FX5700
Alesis iO26, 2 NTFS Seagate HD
DigitalDesign Speakers
SteveJL
Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4644
RE: Old-school Cakewalk users, sign in! 2004/10/19 04:31:24 (permalink)
Great thread. Very interesting reading everyone's experiences. How similar!

Me, I also never got into PC MIDI/Sequencing until last year with HS2004, then Sonar 3 PE in Apr/04.

I started as a sound guy/Prophet 5 patch programmer (hobby only) in the early 80's, slowly getting exposed to Mac's as musical control devices......then

In 1985, splurged on a MIDI rig because it had come within price price range of the common man.....got an Atari 1040ST (1 meg Ram, no H/D) running Steinberg Pro 24 V1.0, a DX7iiFD with Grey Matter board (made it 8-Voice/64-note Poly with a 16-Track/64000 event Sequencer), Korg DSS-1 12 bit Sampler (still my controller), TX-81Z, SPX90ii, RX-17 Drum machine....I think I also made the Sales guy's year!

I also bought a Sample Editting and Synthesis program in 1987 for the Atari/DSS-1 called Softsynth, made by an upstart company called Digidesign that I believe was the Forefather to Protools. This was "serious" software, at $500, but gave unprecedented control of the sampler. There was no transferring of files...rather, the software controlled all the internal programming parameters of the Sampler in "real-time" via MIDI.

All my music at that time was MIDI-only, recorded straight to 1/4 in. 2-track reel to reel (sitting in boxes somewhere).
All through 1985 to 1992 (when I also shelved music for a IT career), I never trusted the PC as a music "controller", and never really needed to, as the Atari was ahead all that time. PC's never really caught up until the 386, and Windows really only recently (with XP) got to the level of stability and built-in that the Mac's and Atari's had all along, IMO. The PC's were for "tinkerer-types" who didn't mind dealing directly with the O/S to make things work.
And, boy-oh-boy, I have a lot of respect for you guys who dealt with the XT's and 286's through those "growing years", with MPU-101 and MPU-401 intefaces
I remember buying a Joystick to Midi cable for my SB16 card on my 386 and ran some freeware sequencers, but only last year refitted my system and got back into things in a big way.

My, how far we've come!

I remember back then, when I put my system together, that I was trying to do, on a smaller scale, what a $300,000 Fairlight could do, or a $50,000 Emulator.

Now, this year, largely thanks to Cakewalk, my controller Keyboard, $1500 PC, Sonar3 PE and Proteus 2500 + Software synths has surpassed my wildest dreams!

EDIT: typo.
< Message edited by SteveJL -- 10/19/2004 4:48:56 AM >

Qwerty69
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1435
RE: Old-school Cakewalk users, sign in! 2004/10/19 07:01:18 (permalink)
We were so poor that at Christmas, grandpa used to suck a mint and we all stood around and sniffed his tongue.

CWPA6 here...

Q.
Blades
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3246
RE: Old-school Cakewalk users, sign in! 2004/10/19 07:21:56 (permalink)
I started back in about 1989 with a Dos program called Prism - loved it. My roommate and I were able to do a lot of things, but still didn't even scratch the surface of that thing. It went away - and with it, pattern based sequencing, which is all I knew. Cakewalk seemed so linear.

I went with Power Tracks Pro when I got around to Windows because it was so cheap and I didn't like the Voyetra thing that came with my 486. (there was a lot of time and upgrades in between, but Prism got used a long time - until the MIDI interfaces were no longer compatible).

Got tired of PTracks, Cakewalk was looking cooler and now was introducing Audio, where Power Tracks only had a way to statically sample something and was really audio limited. Cake 6.

Then cake 9 PA. Then Sonar 2, 3, 4.

Blades
www.blades.technology  - Technology Info and Tutorials for Music and Web
Frink
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 222
RE: Old-school Cakewalk users, sign in! 2004/10/19 07:39:49 (permalink)
My first shot at Eeelectronic music was on my old Atari 400 (you know, the one with the 'spill-proof' keyboard). I had the Music Composer cartridge which allowed you to write music using something similar to the Cakewalk staff view.

I would spend many a day trying to make my favourite songs sound like cheap door-chimes.

I first encountered the Cake with version 7 of ProAudio.
Still haven't figured out how to change tempos though...

Now, THAT wasn't supposed to happen...

Windows 7 64bit / SONAR X3d
Asus Z87 Pro 1150 Mboard / Intel Core i7 4771 3.5Ghz / 8GB DDR3 1333MHz / Ati RADEON HD 6450 1GB / EMU 0404 PCIe Audio Card
Rickenbacker 330 / Ovation Elite / Yamaha S03 / Alesis DM5 / Cardboard, string & sellotape
Thud
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 78
RE: Old-school Cakewalk users, sign in! 2004/10/19 08:43:56 (permalink)

And, boy-oh-boy, I have a lot of respect for you guys who dealt with the XT's and 286's through those "growing years", with MPU-101 and MPU-401 intefaces

You have no idea!
By the time I upgraded to a 486, I was still using my PC for DOS games, and I had a Sound Blaster card, my MPU-401 card, video card, and network card in my machine.

Of course this was still long before PCI slots and plug'n'play (remember VESA Local Bus slots?), and none of these devices could share IRQ's, and you had to set the IRQ's on all the cards using jumpers! And once you finally figured out the magic combination that would make them all work (I think I had to disable my printer port in order to save that IRQ for something else), THEN you had to tweak your config.sys and autoexec.bat in order to make sure you had enough "standard" memory (below 1MB, regardless of how much memory you had in the system).

Let's see, how do we load the CDrom drivers, network card drivers, soundcard drivers, AND still have enough memory leftover to run the programs that use the devices you're loading all the drivers for? Configuring a PC was really an art and a science.

How many remember: devicehigh = emm386.exe noems i=b000-b7ff Yes, that's right, you could free up another block of upper memory by including the monochrome video address region which was unused if you had a VGA video card. Booya!!
< Message edited by Thud -- 10/19/2004 8:52:44 AM >
glazfolk
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5253
RE: Old-school Cakewalk users, sign in! 2004/10/19 08:55:10 (permalink)
Luxury! We were so poor we never even has a grandpa.

Geoff Francis - Huon Delta Studios

AMD Opteron 246 2GHZ twin CPU
Tyan S2875 AVRF Dual M'board
2 Gig RAM, Three Monitors w NVIDIA GeForce FX5700
Alesis iO26, 2 NTFS Seagate HD
DigitalDesign Speakers
Qwerty69
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1435
RE: Old-school Cakewalk users, sign in! 2004/10/19 10:01:56 (permalink)
....well he had been dead since 1969.... Grandma just used to get behind him and move his jaw up and down... We'd pretend we couldn't see...
LSC
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 107
RE: Old-school Cakewalk users, sign in! 2004/10/19 11:13:41 (permalink)
I started with Cakewalk 5.0 for DOS using a 386 with 4 MB RAM and a 300 MB HDD. On my 486 Win98 (4 GB HDD) I later moved up to Pro Audio 8. I also got a Tascam 424 Mk2 portastudio, which still graces my operating table but Sonar 3.11 is doing all my work now.
< Message edited by LSC -- 10/19/2004 11:21:20 AM >

Lawrence
Dale Aston
  • Total Posts : 1204
RE: Old-school Cakewalk users, sign in! 2004/10/19 12:20:41 (permalink)
I've been here since 1997 and Windows 98. Can't remember which Cakewalk version it was.
losguy
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5506
RE: Old-school Cakewalk users, sign in! 2004/10/19 12:24:46 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Thud
How many remember: devicehigh = emm386.exe noems i=b000-b7ff Yes, that's right, you could free up another block of upper memory by including the monochrome video address region which was unused if you had a VGA video card. Booya!!

Gaaaah!!! That was a long-forgotten painful memory! Please leave that one buried forever.

And IRQ jumpers and dipswitches! Ack! I'm trying to remember... did they ever make a PCI card with those?

Psalm 30:12
All pure waves converge at the Origin
epytryga
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 804
RE: Old-school Cakewalk users, sign in! 2004/10/19 12:42:46 (permalink)
I believe I started with version 5 of Cakewalk....and have gotten each upgrade since...I just love it....prior to cakewalk 5.0 I was using Notator on my atari St and atari Falcon 030....now THAT dates me!

Kind Regards:
Eric

Music samples at:
https://soundcloud.com/the_oxford_circus

Gear:
Windows 10, 16Gb RAM, Intel i7-6700 CPU @ 3.4Ghz, Propellerhead Balance ASIO

AMD II X6 1075T PROCESSOR 3.0GHZ/8GB RAM/PROPELLERHEAD BALANCE ASIO DRIVERS.
Sonic
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1517
RE: Old-school Cakewalk users, sign in! 2004/10/19 13:01:27 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Mike Fisher

ORIGINAL: losguy

What a luxury. That would have been a pretty hot machine in its day.

Yeah, I was thrilled with it. It was a Christmas gift from my Father-In-Law. I went right out and bought a (excuse my language) Sound Blaster. It was really exciting to hear 'music' being generated from that system.

Mass-storage was cassette tape via audio modem technology (FSK).

I used to back up my Korg Poly-800 and Alesis SR-16 data to cassette tape.

A real beauty in its day.

It made a great bass synth. It had 2 oscillators, could generate white and pink noise, had portamento and a bunch of other 'hands on' features. My room-mate in college used to hook it up to his bass amp, point the amp out the window and make pig noises across campus with it!

Glad you brought that up. Before Portastudios, that was the cheap way to go. Man, that brings back memories.

I still have those recordings. They remind me to be thankful for what I have now.

Fun thread...takes me back! I started doing the two tape deck thing back in 1980, and still have all of the recordings. I had a little Casio keyboard, and a Crumar Roadrunner2(what a piece of junk). I bought a few Ross effect pedals(remember those big colorful things, like the yellow stereo analog delay? I wish I had that thing back!), and used the drums on the Casio. After a bit I spent $400 on a EML Synkey2001. It's got little plastic punch cards to program it with, and I still have it, the cards AND the punch. I guess only around 80 of them were made...I saw one go on EBay recently for $1200! Then I got a Mattel Synsonic "drum machine", and I was in heaven. The little music store I bought that at also had these two little silver boxes...one played bass, the other drums, and you could sync them right together. Even though they were closing them out at $200 for the pair, they seemed difficult to program. So I passed on them.
A brand new TB-303 and Drumatix for $200... and I didn't buy them. DOH! Who could have known....
< Message edited by Sonic -- 10/19/2004 1:09:17 PM >

The best is always yet to come. Now...shut up and make some noise!
A small sample of my music... http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/turtlebend2.htm
Mididreamer
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 422
RE: Old-school Cakewalk users, sign in! 2004/10/19 13:35:37 (permalink)
Cakewalk Apprentice 1.0 for Windows 3.1, start to earn money, lot of free time to make music and no more DOS to fool around.
Today 2 kids less money and no free time. Bigger computer more possibilties. Well wait for Sonar 26 or 27, because I will be retired, have again a lot of time, better equipment, but how about the ears ??

My music: https://soundcloud.com/midimine
Sonar, Reason, Live, Project5, Fruityloops, Cubase / maschine 2/ Komplete /Intel i7 3770/ Asus Maximus V /Oxygen 8 V2/ Oxygen 61/ Novation Zero SL /Windows 10 / 64 

Komplete Audio 6
b rock
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8717
RE: Old-school Cakewalk users, sign in! 2004/10/19 21:15:36 (permalink)
ando
Then I got a Mattel Synsonic "drum machine", and I was in heaven.
I had forgotten about that thing! Great accelerando & ritardando with those tempo speed membrane switches; the problem was getting back a tempo. The tunable tom was a great gimmick-y sound. Didn't it have different beat divisions that were 'playable' with various button combinations?

Man, I beat it half to death, but it's final demise came during elective surgery. "Now, if I could only MIDI-fy this ..." It's buried next to the Casio SK-1, complete with external audio input mod.
bso
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 351
RE: Old-school Cakewalk users, sign in! 2004/10/19 23:25:12 (permalink)
String Razor... I started out with the exact same line -up. C64 and a Proffet 600. After Texture went to the orphanage and I made the switch to cake. Roger Powell wrote a few batch prcessing programs to convert tex files to general midi that would incorporate track names into cakewalk track names. He even went out of his way to modify the code slightly to get the names to Line up correctly. He was a heck of a guy to go out his way for that. I have a freind who I still co-write with that uses texture to this day religiously. He has sonar and the yamaha - ds2416 but still uses DOS. Back in those days the only real drum module was the linn Drum with we kit'd over to midi and are still stuck with some of those drum maps. Most of this early sequencer work was done just after the midi spec was released, and I'm still using original data captured way back then for library music. It's been a fun time in history for us musician types.
ORIGINAL: Stringrazor1

I started sequecing on a C64 (Sequential Circuits MIDI card w/on-board sequencer, Dr. T's) then moved to Roger Powell's TEXTURE on PC. When TEXTURE was orphaned, I jumped to Cakewalk 4 for DOS.
sammyp
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 752
RE: Old-school Cakewalk users, sign in! 2004/10/20 00:01:12 (permalink)
This is a nifty thread.

For me it was Cakewalk PA 5, which i was scared to death of.(had no interface/soundcard and no knowhow) i used it as a drum programmer only with a boss Dr. Rhy as a tone module into my trusty yamaha mt50 cassette 4-track. I wrote and demoed some of my personal best music this way thru '96-'99.

graduated to a boss Br-8 (digital 8 track) in '01 and upgraded from PA5 (do not pass go) to Sonar 3.1.1 and took the plunge. I really wish that manual for PA5 hadn't blown my compu-scared mind in '97 but unfortunately, serious computer alienation set in for a few years. I'm glad i finally embrassed the world of PC/audio. It's awesome ...........................and expensive.

ReedMyLips
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: Old-school Cakewalk users, sign in! 2004/10/20 02:51:56 (permalink)
Wow! I can't believe all the "old timers" here.

I started with Cakewalk 1.0 on the original IBM-PC, a Roland RD-300 then a Kawai K5 then an Alesis drum machine. Over the years the racks grew and I hardly sold anything, just kept collecting until I filled the 4th 24-space rack. And hey, I'm a sax player, not a keyboardist! I just loved the technology and being able to make my own backing material.

I still have the what I consider to be the first "portable" PC that I built into an old oscilloscope chassis. Whopping 6" black and white display and a single floppy drive.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 8
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1