On the Cusp of Insanity (4th Movement)

Author
rolifer@verizon.net
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1676
2008/06/13 00:01:32 (permalink)

On the Cusp of Insanity (4th Movement)

This is the 4th and final movement of my third String Quartet. For those that are unaware, a string quartet is comprised of 2 Violins, a Viola and a Cello.

I composed this last year and it is a piece based on my now defunct marriage to a insane woman. For the 10 years of my marriage, I was not allowed to play guitar or piano and when I finally rebelled and decided I had to play, I was shunned and told I must play outside. So the piece is about me being on the cusp of insanity. This movement depicts the end of the marriage and the ending shows the bleakness is over and that hope really does exist.

I was able to get this piece up because today (for the first time) I finished my homework before midnight and had a few extra minutes to post.

Here it is

http://www.box.net/shared/roy7dazeoo

In time I hope to present all 4 movements in one post, just not tonight.

Hope you enjoy

9 Replies Related Threads

foxwolfen
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: On the Cusp of Insanity (4th Movement) 2008/06/13 00:34:43 (permalink)
    What kind of a nutbar refuses someone to play music? I cannot even really fathom it. How exactly does one play the piano outside? That is just not right. Did you have her committed?

Ron, this is the best by you so far IMO. You are quite literally expanding my horizons with music. Since listening to your stuff, I have begun to have a significantly greater appreciation for all kinds of music. I am glad you got rid of her. If you hadn't I would not be benefiting from it and selfishly, I am pleased to be.

I can hear Yo Yo Ma doing this... sublime.

Cheers
    Shad

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    Mamabear
    • Total Posts : 8954
    RE: On the Cusp of Insanity (4th Movement) 2008/06/13 01:30:06 (permalink)
    You captured how I would feel if I couldn't play the piano for a few days, let alone 10 years! I was glad to hear the hope at the end--in the song and in your post. Glad you got your homework done so early today (well, yesterday) too! Good job! Great job on the song too!
    rolifer@verizon.net
    RE: On the Cusp of Insanity (4th Movement) 2008/06/13 08:34:53 (permalink)
    Shad

I could tell you stories about that woman that you wouldn't believe. One of the worst things about it all is that I didn't get rid of her, she got rid of me.

I am glad I am helping to expand your horizons.

Janet

Just to be picky (something math majors do), I compose pieces, not write songs. I don't know why I even care about that, but for some reason those of us that do classical music, always see a distinction between the 2. I guess it is because we are mostly old and stuffy. hehe.

Thanks guys

I'm off to class for another grinding day...

Ron
    Mamabear
    • Total Posts : 8954
    RE: On the Cusp of Insanity (4th Movement) 2008/06/13 09:28:23 (permalink)
    Well, then, nice piece! I'll try to remember that!

And TGIF!
    foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: On the Cusp of Insanity (4th Movement) 2008/06/13 13:39:18 (permalink)
    Well, it seems to have been good for you regardless.

I tend to say "compose" myself, as "write" just does not accurately reflect what I do. Mozart wrote. I plunk out some notes that I think sound good, practice them till I can play it well, then record it so I can go back and remember what I did.

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    tdye
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1926
    RE: On the Cusp of Insanity (4th Movement) 2008/06/14 07:25:26 (permalink)
    Ron, very thoughtful piece, aptly named, well done.

Tom
    http://www.soundclick.com/tomdye
    http://www.ourstage.com/profile/tomdye
    http://twitter.com/tom_dye

Dell Dimension 8400 Pentium 4 w/HyperThreading 3.2GHz, 3 GB Ram, Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (WDM)
    Sonar 8 Producer Edition, Rapture, Project5
    rolifer@verizon.net
    RE: On the Cusp of Insanity (4th Movement) 2008/06/15 19:08:36 (permalink)
    Shad

I wonder if Mozart would have taken offense to you saying he wrote music. He definitely did a lot of it. Some of it so simple it was pure genious. Some of it so difficult it was pure genious.

I have lots of themes running around in my head, Mozart had them all scored out in his head. I can't even fathom being able to do that.

Tyde

Thank you sir

Ron
    kayehl
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 846
    RE: On the Cusp of Insanity (4th Movement) 2008/06/17 17:36:03 (permalink)

I am always uplifted by your music. I liked the dynamics in this piece. I also enjoyed hearing the bouncing motifs weaving in and out. The ending was cool.

I am not an expert
    rolifer@verizon.net
    RE: On the Cusp of Insanity (4th Movement) 2008/06/18 07:59:38 (permalink)
    kayehl

Thank you. Once I get some time, I hope to post the first 3 movements as well which is where some of those motifs came from.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1