On the Run.

Author
whack
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1188
2008/06/15 15:03:59 (permalink)

On the Run.

Howdy,

New song.Prob not the style of most people on this forum but it is that that modern hiphop stuff!
Sound a bit timbalandish!

Let me know what you think and more imprtantly how i can imprive the mix or mastering of it.

Thanks

On the Run

15 Replies Related Threads

Mamabear
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8954
    RE: On the Run. 2008/06/15 16:52:40 (permalink)
    Hey, that was good! I'm certainly no pro, but I didn't hear anything to complain about. I enjoyed it!
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: On the Run. 2008/06/15 19:17:34 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: whack

Howdy,

New song.Prob not the style of most people on this forum but it is that that modern hiphop stuff!
    Sound a bit timbalandish!

Let me know what you think and more imprtantly how i can imprive the mix or mastering of it.

Thanks

On the Run

I liked it, creative and original.

I'm not getting Timbaland but trust me thats a good thing. The vocal treatment reminds me a little of '80's heart-throbs 'Japan'. You've got enough going on creatively here to cultivate a cool vibe of your own.

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    tdye
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1926
    RE: On the Run. 2008/06/15 22:02:10 (permalink)
    Cian, kinda sounds like that 'Cops' theme song. Could heat this up a bit and I think it needs more of a lower end too.

Tom
    http://www.soundclick.com/tomdye
    http://www.ourstage.com/profile/tomdye
    http://twitter.com/tom_dye

Dell Dimension 8400 Pentium 4 w/HyperThreading 3.2GHz, 3 GB Ram, Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (WDM)
    Sonar 8 Producer Edition, Rapture, Project5
    Melee54
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 131
    RE: On the Run. 2008/06/15 22:32:19 (permalink)
    Haha, this was pretty good. But you know what, I found myself singing the cops theme song during the verses, and Usher's "Caught up" at the bridge/chorus thing. lol!...

The lyrics had nothing to do with Caught Up, but the melody and harmonies were pretty similar, I think.

Ah well, what do I know, I don't listen to this kind of music, haha.
    MArwood
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1816
    RE: On the Run. 2008/06/15 22:39:21 (permalink)
    Needs some sub stuff. Kick needs major bump @ 75 and lower. I like it, nice song.

Max Arwood

"Edited spelling"
    New Tag line so I won't have to keep typing this. I may or may not have edited this yet, but I probably need to.

< Message edited by MArwood -- 3/02/2525 3:45:05 AM >
    Freeze1st
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1213
    RE: On the Run. 2008/06/15 22:44:51 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: tdye

Cian, kinda sounds like that 'Cops' theme song. Could heat this up a bit and I think it needs more of a lower end too.

I agree with you on this tdye. I enjoyed hearing the song anyway though.

I did wanna comment on what a great voice whack has and thought the vocals sounded great!

Keep on keepin' on!

MC4,Bossbr1600,Maudio2496,Vista HP, Stinger Electric Guitar,New York Pro Bass, MXL V67
    whack
    RE: On the Run. 2008/06/16 05:03:23 (permalink)
    Thanks guys.

Yea, it does sound a bit like the cops song at the verses, it just felt right to put it in there.
    Im hardly infringing copyright?!

To max and tdye, I actually turned down the bass and drums during my mix,it was making my master go seriously into the red. Do you mean bump at the 75Hz region when you say that max?and when you mean heat it up,you mean pack more punch and volume?
    Sorry,im still a bit new.

Thanks for the vox xompliment freeze1st.
    MArwood
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1816
    RE: On the Run. 2008/06/16 11:44:50 (permalink)
    Do you mean bump at the 75Hz region when you say that max?

Yes turn up the low bottoms. These are the hardest to adjust. So be careful not to add to much. Check on sound system that has sub.

Max Arwood

"Edited spelling"
    New Tag line so I won't have to keep typing this. I may or may not have edited this yet, but I probably need to.

< Message edited by MArwood -- 3/02/2525 3:45:05 AM >
    foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: On the Run. 2008/06/17 17:07:37 (permalink)
    Volume was rather low, and overall there seemed to be no dynamics.

Fun sounding song. Work on cleaning up the mix and it should be very cool. Very modern.

Cheers
    Shad

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    whack
    RE: On the Run. 2008/06/18 12:12:54 (permalink)
    Foxwolfen if i can hold on to ya for a sec.

You have kinda just said what i was afraid to think myself.

I am using all synths, how is it possible to make the song more dynamic with these? Do you make some bits louder and softer?I do agree that the song does seems to be a bit bland, im just wondering what step do you take when your using fake sounds.

Regarding volume,I know its a quesiton with no concrete answer, but is it good method just to get your mixing tracks to not hit red and stay roughly at the same level and then maybe boost11 it at the final master? should that give me the volume I need relative to whats usually put out??

Cian.
    musiccontinuum
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 636
    RE: On the Run. 2008/06/18 12:44:46 (permalink)
    Cian - I like the feel of the song. Nice job on the vocals, all on pitch and good backgrounds. I think this song is well written and performed. I've listened to it a few times, it's a catchy song - good hook.

Did you have some reverb on any part of the song, it seems a little dry? Also, is seems like most of the synths are panned center. Boast 11 is nice if you need to bring the overall volume up. You can accept the default setting, but be careful to watch the compression meter. If you see it starting to compress (in red) a lot, bring the some settings back, otherwise you get funky dynamics. But now that I think about it, you can get some cool compression effects doing that also...leave that for another posting.

"They gonna getcha" - oh, great, now it's stuck in my head...

Jon

Platinum 2016 (latest patch)
    Windows 10 - x64
    Tascam US-2x2 or Focusrite Scarlett
    DELL Inspiron 3000 (I3847-3846BK) Intel i3-4130 3.40GHz / 8GB Memory / Windows 10 64-bit
    http://www.joncoble.com
    foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: On the Run. 2008/06/18 13:58:34 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: whack

Foxwolfen if i can hold on to ya for a sec.

You have kinda just said what i was afraid to think myself.

I am using all synths, how is it possible to make the song more dynamic with these? Do you make some bits louder and softer?I do agree that the song does seems to be a bit bland, im just wondering what step do you take when your using fake sounds.

Regarding volume,I know its a quesiton with no concrete answer, but is it good method just to get your mixing tracks to not hit red and stay roughly at the same level and then maybe boost11 it at the final master? should that give me the volume I need relative to whats usually put out??

Cian.

Well, some synth patches are not very dynamic on their own. Some are mono, some a flat and lifeless. While you can tweak the track effects (and yes I keep all volumes just occasionally touching red) recall that each synth/sampler has its own on-board effects that you can tweak as well. Making some small adjustments to the LFO can really add life to an otherwise flat patch (the LFO is what gives a normal oscillator the ability to "bend and warp" in interesting ways) . Adding a bit of wetness can also help.

For tracks, I would strongly caution against EQ and compression. These things tend to kill a synths warmness IMO. They can do interesting things for acoustic instruments like guitar and vocals, but I have found the synth is better adjusted using its own effects sliders. Keep its volume under the red and all is good.

Later for final mixing, I tend to bounce a track and keep both the midi and audio working together... this tends to both add volume, and allows you to tweak one while leaving one more natural. This blend is sort of similar to HDR (High Dynamic Range) imaging, in that there are "layers of different detail".

Cheers
    Shad

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    whack
    RE: On the Run. 2008/06/18 18:36:41 (permalink)
    Cheers Jon,glad you liked it.All my songs are annoyingly catchy.Only used a touch reverb on riff synth.Your right it does feel a bit dry,i mite do that.Maybe I could apply reverb to the whole mix,might make it gel better.I'll try it out.

Smart idea shad using both the midi and audio, changing the audio copy slightly to make the tone more interesting.noticed that the voloume does increase but for some reason always felt it was a bad thing.Might try a bit of LFO tweaking,might produce a more real time effect giving it a more dynamic touch.
    mmmm...o.k,laters thanks.

DuRod
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1082
    RE: On the Run. 2008/06/18 21:27:44 (permalink)
    I can't comment on the mix since I'm listening on a loptop, but I can say that I really like the writing, composition and the vocals delivery. Very different; and different is always good in my book. Nice work.

Duane
    dlogan
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2544
    RE: On the Run. 2008/06/18 21:36:31 (permalink)
    Well I agree that on my system it seems like it could use some low end but for the genre it would probably be listened to on a system with some sub-woofers so you do have to be careful. I did like it quite a bit even though it's not really my style of music. Vocals were cool. Nice job!

Dave

www.soundclick.com/steakbone
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1