On the discussion of cloning guitar tracks

Author
7-string_guy
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 430
2011/02/11 16:50:45 (permalink)

On the discussion of cloning guitar tracks

Myself and others here have had a discussion going about cloning and its usefulness...I tend to think that 2 separately recorded guitar lines become weak and thin sounding if full panned on their own..at least in my mix and recording abilities.

So....I experimented with it a bit and have set up a A / B situation where i demonstrate cloning both guitar lines.

I used "Signs of weakness" as the example....changing nothing but the guitar in the mix.

In the original which is the first song in the list, there are 2 guitar lines, panned 85% each way respectfully..

In the one titled "Signs with cloning" I took the original left , cloned it, made them 100% L and R. Took the original right guitar and cloned it making it 60% L / R. also offset the clones by a few milliseconds. - very important to do this.

adjusted the volumes to match the original track and voila....

So if you want to listen to the first 20 seconds of both, you will hear the difference in panning technique...

My initial thoughts were that it sounded more full on the cloned version. and might sound better in a car if you have your left speaker obstructed by your legs.

This is just a demonstration of cloning, not an attempt to make you listen to my songs again.. I know you are sick of them, or not..... lol.

Please let me know your thought on this matter.

www.reverbnation.com/enemyofearth

I7 2600k 3.4g on a ASUS MB with 16 gb of ram
FireFace 400 AI / Sonar 8.5 Producer / ToonTrack Superior Drummer 2
Alesis M1 Active MKII / Ibanez 7 string / Fender Super-Sonic
Schecter studio 5 bass / Boss Dr. Rhythm 880 , also Yamaha DTX full rack drum pad trigger system

17 Replies Related Threads

7-string_guy
    Re:On the discussion of cloning guitar tracks 2011/02/11 17:51:05 (permalink)
    apparently something went wrong with my page...The song i uploaded isnt showing up in the main list for some reason. but it was.....now its not.. but it is still there in admin view..weird...ill get back to you when this is resolved .

EDIT : Reverbnation is telling me their servers are swamped, so any uploads will show up later on - up to 24 hours... which is weird that is shows up when you upload it, but if you refresh the page, its not there. and i was so happy to have contributed something useful....now i have to wait to show you....grrrrr

Edit again :  I deleted the first one i posted, cause i thought it was a bad copy or something and just now it showed up in the playlist. but i deleted it. so the title is there, but no song...now i'm waiting for the real one to show up...so, sorry about the wait guys
    post edited by 7-string_guy - 2011/02/11 19:57:09

Schecter studio 5 bass / Boss Dr. Rhythm 880 , also Yamaha DTX full rack drum pad trigger system
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:On the discussion of cloning guitar tracks 2011/02/11 17:54:02 (permalink)
    If your asking for a critique or  a what happened or what should I do.... post it...we don't get tired of listening to music.... if we did we'd go hang out in the coffee house with Bapu & Mooch.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    7-string_guy
    Re:On the discussion of cloning guitar tracks 2011/02/11 20:31:04 (permalink)
    OK this is working now. they had server issues. too many people uploading today...

guitartrek
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re:On the discussion of cloning guitar tracks 2011/02/11 23:32:42 (permalink)
    The song sounds good to me - very nice. 

In the second example you moved the cloned part a few milliseconds which would create a very subtle phase or flange.  I never had much luck with cloning guitars like that.  For me the best is to record two separate tracks and pan then left and right.  But the timing has to be right on otherwise it can sound very sloppy.
    7-string_guy
    Re:On the discussion of cloning guitar tracks 2011/02/12 00:30:48 (permalink)
    I've heard of real record people doing that trick and it works. I dont hear any artifacts from it. no flanging or phasing. you just have to know when enough is enough. if they were on the same side, or centered, i think it would create trouble. i got a system to it and i think it will work with some of my work. not all of it. but it definately did the trick fillin up the stereo field.

but this was just a working example that it can be done. Im just happy i could help out for once and not be on the other end of a problem.

timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re:On the discussion of cloning guitar tracks 2011/02/12 07:10:33 (permalink)
    you might try cloning and then put a different eq on each track. say, one with a low pass and one with a high pass to start. depends what you're looking for. 

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

7-string_guy
    Re:On the discussion of cloning guitar tracks 2011/02/12 12:33:23 (permalink)
    In the signs of weakness experiment, I hear no phasing or flanging in the cloned example.  do you? you guys suggest it would happen, but did you actually hear it? there are two cloned lines, if you read above i explained the process. IMO, I think it sounds really good. This may be a subject of opinion, but i feel cloning works with an offset and slightly different eq on each.  the mix  difference made me feel that my vocals stuck out a little better also. even with 4 guitar lines all with a lower volume to match the original, the vocal line seemed clearer. last night, I did the exact same thing to my other song 'Justone' and it turned out beautiful also with cloning.

try it on one of your songs....see if it works for you as well as i think it works for me

guitartrek
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re:On the discussion of cloning guitar tracks 2011/02/12 14:13:55 (permalink)
    You can't really hear the phasing effect when it is only a few milliseconds.  It doesn't sound bad in any way - I didn't mean that it would be detrimental.  This thickens the sound just slightly.  It sounds good.

Tim's suggestion of doing different things with each track would also create some interesting effects and spaciousness. 

Line6 Pod Farm 2 has the ability to split a single guitar into two signals for separate processing.  Some of the presets they created are really cool sounding.  It is the same principle as what you are going after.  And in a live situation, a lot of guys will split the signal into two different amps for the same type of effect.  A friend of mine would use a chorus pedal, and send one out of the chorus to a marshal amp, the other to a yamaha solid state amp.  The two together create a big sound.

I was just telling you my experience because I tried this technique a while back and didn't have much luck.  As soon as I started actually recording 2 separate parts, the song really came alive.  It is more work of course - because your timing has to be near perfect, but, for me, it takes it to a whole different level.  On very few occasions, the two parts were so close that I experienced phase cancellation where the whole signal dropped out.  But this is very rare, and another guitar take got rid of it.

I'm glad you posted this thread.  It will be interesting to read other peoples comments.
    johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re:On the discussion of cloning guitar tracks 2011/02/12 14:27:15 (permalink)
    I don't know, What I like about the 2 different tracks method is the space and possibly the slight chorus effect you get. I don't have any heavy distorted tracks posted but here's a clean country song where I hard pan same guitar recorded 2x and play just a little differently each time. I even carried this through the solo making a very interesting ( to me) Excuse the recording as this is from my 8 track Tascam cassette days and rendering an MP3 trashes the stereo imaging a tad too. Use headphones.
    http://www.soundclick.com...ongid=9561238&q=hi

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
     Scarlett 6i6
    Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
    Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
    Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
    Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
    i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

7-string_guy
    Re:On the discussion of cloning guitar tracks 2011/02/12 14:33:01 (permalink)
    that's a pretty song johnnyv...i hear the difference in the guitars as you said. its full..love that snare

johnnyV
    Re:On the discussion of cloning guitar tracks 2011/02/12 15:11:18 (permalink)
    Cool avatar! I'm almost embarrassed  to post those old songs, Every time I listen I want to re do them. That snare is Mike Northcott , one of the best drummers in the Kootenay's. I was so lucky to have him as my studio drummer back then. He has a wicked collection of snares. We worked on the drum sounds and did a lot of work back then. I think all I had was a couple of Yamaha and Art compressors. Might have been a Mackie 1604 or a Yamaha 1202 mixer. But that Tascam 8 track did a amazing job. I had to do a lot of bouncing and the drum tracks were always committed to a stereo pair so its a live mix.
    I'm digging around for this song I recorded a band and we used the double track method.
    I also once in my 4 track days took the output of the guitar track and ran it into a couple of amps in the live room and placed a few mikes around. That was brought back into the control room with 6 channels and it was amazing the stereo image and natural delay we got from that. I guess you call it re-amping now.

Scarlett 6i6
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

Bub
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7196
    Re:On the discussion of cloning guitar tracks 2011/02/12 17:17:41 (permalink)
    I much preferred the track without the doubling on it 7-string-guy. Normally when you clone a track it doesn't really do anything to help. You normally would want to record a second track and mix it together.

As for the tune posted by johnnyV, the snare was way too loud and hollow sounding, and the guitar was really tinny. Sounded like an Ovation which I'm not a fan of. Couldn't hear the vocals on it either. Nice song though, I can see why you would want to redo that one.

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
    7-string_guy
    Re:On the discussion of cloning guitar tracks 2011/02/12 18:25:32 (permalink)
    I did clone both the original left and the original right Bub. I  panned them around so they stuck out where ever you are placed while listening. I found that they sound real good in the car because normally my legs muffled the left door speaker. so if there is only the left guitar playing for a bit, it kinda disappears while driving. now i can hear it on the right too..without disturbing the rest of the mix.

i think it was a successful experiment. though i like the original way as well. Just depends on what you are listening from. headphones, home stereo, car or studio monitors..like to hear these on a PA system..

it is a matter of taste...Had i done it this way without your knowledge of the cloning. you would say it sounds fine. well... i believe so anyway. My style differs from a lot of yours. So i expect bias towards my heavy rocking. 

I'm not trying to convince you all that this is the best method, just a method that works.  Since i have a couple guitar parts, ie: solos, fills, ect... I didnt double them. I stuck them mixed nicely in the middle...instead on justified to either side.

Bub
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7196
    Re:On the discussion of cloning guitar tracks 2011/02/12 20:27:17 (permalink)
    7-string_guy

it is a matter of taste...Had i done it this way without your knowledge of the cloning. you would say it sounds fine. well... i believe so anyway.

Ok, well whatever you did to the first one, it sounds better to me. I listened to it on my monitors and headphones and the first one sounded better to me on both.

My style differs from a lot of yours. So i expect bias towards my heavy rocking.

I've done all kinds of music over the last 25 years from Hank Williams Sr. to Metallica live. I have no bias, except for Jazz. Can't stand it, and I ain't even gonna pretend to even remotely like it.

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
    SteveStrummerUK
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31112
    Re:On the discussion of cloning guitar tracks 2011/02/13 13:34:49 (permalink)

I much prefer the double-tracked example.

The cloning method - even if you change the EQ, and/or then re-amp differently; and then nudge one of the tracks - still ends up with two identical performances.

What helps create the 'wall of sound' when double-tracking, even if you use the same guitar/amp/FX etc for each take, are the slight differences between the two performances. It's almost impossible to play every note at exactly the same time, and with with the same attack twice. These nuances add to the character of the song without detracting from the 'thickness' you're after.

You can hear a perfect example of this at just 0:06 of the first track when you mute the attack slightly - you do it slightly differently on each track and it sounds cool!

Double tracking also allows you do little things like playing subtle chord inversions over each other to help give a song a bit more interest and 'feel'.

Steve

PS - Cool song BTW

post edited by SteveStrummerUK - 2011/02/14 06:00:54

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

7-string_guy
    Re:On the discussion of cloning guitar tracks 2011/02/13 21:15:18 (permalink)
    After a day or two of listening on different sources, i totally agree that the original "signs" sounds better. Now my other one that I didnt post "Justone" I think i'm going to keep the cloning on it.. I only cloned one guitar part and had multiple other takes with it so it blends in nicely and fattens up a guitar part i could not re-create. thanks for helping in this experiment and thanks for listening.

johnnyV
    Re:On the discussion of cloning guitar tracks 2011/02/13 21:37:26 (permalink)
    SO I think the original, 1st, sounds better, but mostly where you play the same part same time. I find it much fatter sounding than the clone version. But What I think I would do is play whole song double track play  same part. Then add a third track with the counter melody and stick it somewhere in the middle. I'd also turn them up just a tad.
    The clone version has it's merits and it does sound good, but the double track is just fatter.
    post edited by johnnyV - 2011/02/13 21:38:50

Scarlett 6i6

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1