Onboard Video?

Author
Todd
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 90
2008/05/21 20:57:05 (permalink)

Onboard Video?

Hi All,

I can't seem to get the AGP slot on my Biostar K8M800-AM2 to work on a system I'm building. Everytime I plug a card into the slot nothing happens (no picture)on that card or the onboard video) - when I take out the card the onboard works just fine.

How much of a problem will it be to just use the onboard video? I know it uses the RAM I've installed (2GB DDR2-667). Will this really dig into my performance?

Todd

6 Replies Related Threads

marcos69
    Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4950
    RE: Onboard Video? 2008/05/21 22:09:25 (permalink)
    You have to disable the onboard video in your bios for your added card to work.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    Todd
    RE: Onboard Video? 2008/05/21 22:37:54 (permalink)
    I've been trying? Any idea how to do this? I just can't seem to find an obvious menu for this anywhere in bios.

Todd
    OldGeezer
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 686
    RE: Onboard Video? 2008/05/21 23:27:34 (permalink)
    All bioses are slightly different, but look for the word "integrated" (ie. Integrated peripherals) or something like that. In one of the submenus in the bios, you should see something like "integrated video" or "intel extreme graphics" or something like that. Make sure you switch it from On or Auto to disabled, and then make sure you've removed the monitor cable from the integrated video connector and plugged the monitor cable into the video card you've just installed (and of course, after that, you must install the video driver to get out of vga mode). If there is no option to disable the onboard video, it could be that it does so automatically once you install a card (I had an IBM machine that did that back in the 486 days), so if that's the case, just make sure you've switched the monitor cable from the original plug to the new video card's plug.

Post back if that doesn't help.

To be honest though, unless you're getting major stuttering in your Sonar interface when bringing up plugin windows and such, your onboard might be good enough anyways (assuming you don't want to play games or watch DVDs as well).

And be very careful not to change any bios settings that you aren't absolutely sure what they do ...if it doesn't say "video" or "graphics", leave it alone, or you might have a hard time getting your machine working properly again. If you do know your way around the bios, then forgive me for that statement. When I was starting out, I found it easy to mess up the bios and had to "reset to defaults" to get a working machine again.

Good luck!

Edit: And above all...don't be embarassed...we've all been there. The only dumb questions are the ones you don't ask! ;)

Edit again: And though it usually makes no difference, if you see an option to set intitial display (pci or agp), pick AGP...just in case.

One last edit: It seems others have had problems with that motherboard, and some suggest flashing the bios to the most recent (I hope you know what you're doing there....follow instructions on the motherboard manufacturers website carefuly). But before you do that, check to see if the video card you bought requires a power connection from a floppy drive power connector first...if it does, you may need to connect one of those small floppy power connectors to the end of the video card for it to work (most modern video cards require either a floppy or hard-drive power connector and won't work without it). If all else fails, you could try an old cheap PCI video card, or just use the onboard video. Good luck mate!
    post edited by OldGeezer - 2008/05/22 00:04:51
    Todd
    RE: Onboard Video? 2008/05/22 00:23:10 (permalink)
    Thanks much. I can find no obvious reference to turning off the internal video anywhere in bios (I've looked over and over for the last two days). Both internal and external video stop working every time I install the card.

I guess I'll just go ahead and install Sonar and just see if it works. Appreciate your help.

Todd
    Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Onboard Video? 2008/05/22 09:02:15 (permalink)
    I feel your pain, Todd. I have a Dell with integrated video and I cannot turn it off in the bios. I can change how much memory it "steals" from RAM and I can change the apeture size of communication with the CPU, but I can't disable it. And it does cause problems with high graphic VST's even tho I'm not actually USING that video. I have an AGP video card installed and that's what I use, but the motherboard's video is still ON anyway and that causes problems.

Stupid Dells. [/rant]

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Spaceduck
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2499
    RE: Onboard Video? 2008/05/22 09:21:51 (permalink)
    Wow, this is exactly the problem I had a few years ago with my ECS motherboard. Todd, try going to the Via website www.viaarena.com and download the latest drivers and BIOS updates (top of the page on the left, click drivers, select your operating system).

In my case I'm not sure if it was the Integrated Graphics driver, the Chipset driver, BIOS or what. I just downloaded & installed everything I could get my hands on. But it worked.

Good luck man. But yeah even if you can't get it working, I'm sure your onboard graphics card will be ok.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1