Opening PT files in Sonar 5? HELP!

Author
NLight10
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 73
2006/03/28 14:09:05 (permalink)

Opening PT files in Sonar 5? HELP!

I recorded a song with a significant number of track in a Protools Studio, and now I'm trying to open up my backup file in Sonar 5. Everytime I try to Import the Master file it says:

DirectShow Error [0x80040265]
Cannot Play back the file. The format is not supported.

When I select all of the audio tracks individually, and check the 'import as mono tracks' & 'copy audio to project folder' boxes, it says:

Unable to import wave file. The file's audio format is incompatible with the current project.

Now before I purchased Sonar 5, I was assured that you could open as well as save files that were compatiable with Pro Tools. I hope that someone on this board can help me out because my level of frustration is beyond words right now!

Thanks in advance!

-NLight10

9 Replies Related Threads

Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    RE: Opening PT files in Sonar 5? HELP! 2006/03/28 14:58:48 (permalink)
    Was the ProTools session recorded with a Mac or PC PT system?

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    studiofreak
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 357
    RE: Opening PT files in Sonar 5? HELP! 2006/03/28 15:12:04 (permalink)
    How are you trying to import them in sonar? Through OMF? Broadcast WAVE?
    NLight10
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 73
    RE: Opening PT files in Sonar 5? HELP! 2006/03/28 17:02:19 (permalink)
    It was recorded on a MAC PT System.

When I select IMPORT, I change the dialog box to All Files(*.*). I tried selecting the actual file, and I also tried selecting all of the individual audio tracks. Neither method worked.

NYSR
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1550
    RE: Opening PT files in Sonar 5? HELP! 2006/03/28 17:51:53 (permalink)
    You are using the incorrect strategy. You need to EXPORT the tracks from Pro Tools and then IMPORT those exported tracks into Sonar.

Sonar has the ability to import and export several formats. However it will only natively open its own file format and it will not open the file formats of other DAWS.

I could cmpare it to word processors. Many of them can open files from a variety of other word processors but not all. However, if your word processor can save AS a RTF (Rich Text File) Then you can open the Rich Text file in almost any word processor. In a similar manner, you need to save the Pro Tools project in a Universal format such as a collection of WAVs or an OMF. Once you have it in a universal format, you can then open those universal format files into Sonar - SAVE AS a CWP file and then continue doing the work in Sonar.

Cakewalk customer since Apprentice version 1, PreSonus 16.4.2 ai, 3.5 gHz i7

Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    RE: Opening PT files in Sonar 5? HELP! 2006/03/28 17:55:47 (permalink)
    I'm assuming you're trying to open Wav files (from Mac ProTools) in Sonar

If so, your issue is probably a "Big Endian-Little Endian" conflict. (do a Google search for the details)
    Do you have a dedicated Wav editing application (a la Wavelab or Audition)?
    If so, you should be able to convert the Wav files from Big-Endian to Little-Endian... and then be able to open them in Sonar.
    post edited by Jim Roseberry - 2006/03/28 18:05:05

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    WhyBe
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1009
    RE: Opening PT files in Sonar 5? HELP! 2006/03/28 18:04:49 (permalink)
    Sonar cannot read PT projects.

You have to onvert the ProTools project to OMF format using DigiDesign Translator....$500

oR

Export the ProTools project as wave files for each track.

DonM
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4129
    RE: Opening PT files in Sonar 5? HELP! 2006/03/28 18:17:27 (permalink)
    ...I wish I had a new microphone for everytime this question get's asked...

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=488188&mpage=1&key=wish񷔮

-D

calaverasgrandes
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1454
    RE: Opening PT files in Sonar 5? HELP! 2006/03/28 18:24:32 (permalink)
    yeah basically make sure that all your tracks in protools have a start at 0.00.00 or some other common timestamp and export them stereo pair by stero pair. or even mono a mono? You can export them as broadcast wave which includes timecode info or just as a wav file which doesn't. I've never had the little endian problem this way. But thenthe guy I collaborate with is pretty astute. If you can't get back into the protools session than you might want to see if you can either use Cool Edit/Audition to fix it, which it has been good at for me before. Or maybe Protools still has the free version you can download?

Sonar 7.0.3, Mattel Synsonics, Motu 828MKII (BLA), TC-powercore, Stillwell plugins, Moog MG1, Korg Poly 800, DX27s, Moogerfooger Lowpass, Ovation Magnum, Stingray fretless, Mesa Bass 400, Waldorf Edition, DBA fuzz war, Summit 2BA221, etc
    ...wicked
    Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7360
    RE: Opening PT files in Sonar 5? HELP! 2006/03/28 21:22:52 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: DonM
    ...I wish I had a new microphone for everytime this question get's asked...

Haha, well you'd have one from me because I just asked this question last week!

Here's a better reference:
    PT files to Sonar

In short, hell no you can't open PT files in Sonar! That would bend the laws of propriety as we know it.

The mac wav files have a little extra file thingey you need a dedicated wave editor to truncate (okay, "truncate" isn't the right work but you know what I mean).

In a best case scenario, the wave files from PT are broadcast waves with timestamp info, and once edited should be able to be placed properly in the timeline. If they're aifs, you can still import them, but no fun on the timing issue, so unless they all start at 0:00:00 you're farked.

Platform jumping is a loosey goosey science, and even if you are able to import them all your effects settings are worth zero, so next time you gotta jump from DAW to DAW do some googling to make sure you dot all your "i's".

===========
    The Fog People
    ===========

Intel i7-4790 
    16GB RAM
    ASUS Z97 
    Roland OctaCapture
    Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
    billions VSTs, some of which work    
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1