Opening project whilst Sonar is open

Author
chris_lydon
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5
2008/09/09 04:02:33 (permalink)

Opening project whilst Sonar is open

Hopefully a quick/easy one here...

If I have Sonar Studio (7) already open (on Windows Vista (not SP1)), when I double click a file in Windows to open it, it doesn't open.
If Sonar is closed and I double click to open, it loads up fine (opens Sonar, then opens the file)...
Any thoughts/solutions?

Many thanks

All the best

Chris

P.S. I have tried searching the forum - but it's hard to know what search terms to use... the internet is great if you know what words to look for! :)

7 Replies Related Threads

SteveStrummerUK
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31112
    RE: Opening project whilst Sonar is open 2008/09/09 07:50:48 (permalink)

Hi Chris

When you open a project from Windows Explorer you will be prompted for permission to continue - I think you have to be logged in as an administrator and then SONAR should open the project; if you're not, this may explain your problem.

In any case, to open a project, there's no need to open Explorer - just click on File>Open or use Ctrl+O on your keyboard; remember to save your current project if you wish to when prompted.

Steve

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

chris_lydon
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Opening project whilst Sonar is open 2008/09/09 09:40:31 (permalink)
    Hi Steve

I am logged into my computer as the administrator, so that shouldn't be a problem. And I've never had to say "continue" to opening a Sonar project before.

I know I can go File > Open or Ctrl-O, but sometimes I'm exploring for a file in windows, get to it, and want to open it in Sonar that is open in the background and it is irritating that it doesn't... it's only a minor niggle but I thought there must be a reason for it. Any other software I use will open a file even if the program is already running...

All the best

Chris
    Frank Haas
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2490
    RE: Opening project whilst Sonar is open 2008/09/09 09:42:26 (permalink)
    yepp,..
    I didn't try it as I am not at my DAW right now,.. but that's an issue I can confirm..
    jb
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2020
    RE: Opening project whilst Sonar is open 2008/09/09 09:54:51 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: chris_lydon

Hopefully a quick/easy one here...

If I have Sonar Studio (7) already open (on Windows Vista (not SP1)), when I double click a file in Windows to open it, it doesn't open.
    If Sonar is closed and I double click to open, it loads up fine (opens Sonar, then opens the file)...
    Any thoughts/solutions?

Many thanks

All the best

Chris

P.S. I have tried searching the forum - but it's hard to know what search terms to use... the internet is great if you know what words to look for! :)

I'm on xp so there may be something specific to Vista that's preventing you from using the normal methods for opening files in windows but I can open projects in any folder by double-clicking on them whether or not Sonar is open. I can, of course, open them from within Sonar as well. You haven't inadvertently checked "Allow only one project at a time" in Options/Global/General, have you?
    post edited by jb - 2008/09/09 09:55:23

Celeron 300A o/c 450, SBLive, Win98SE
    fastelder
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 290
    RE: Opening project whilst Sonar is open 2008/09/09 10:32:48 (permalink)
    I'm still running Xp

I've noticed that when I open certain - not all, projects from Explorer, they will open Sonar then crash. If I open them from the Sonar menu they are fine. Small enough problem that I haven't checked it out closer, but somethings funky there. As long as the work-around isn't too painful, I live and let live.

Ed

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 3G ram
    Dual 19"LCD Presonus FirePod
    Dbx166XL Tascam700
    Tascam US-2400 Yamaha PSR293
    Sonar6 EZDrummer MOTU Symphonic Instruments Smart Score (Scanning)
    Sibelius (Notation)
    CD Architect
    ed97643
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1610
    RE: Opening project whilst Sonar is open 2008/09/09 11:35:49 (permalink)
    Agreed - definite issue - happens here on XP intermittently - sometimes works, sometimes double clicking does nothing.

Registered Cakewalk user since 1995
    Storm
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 808
    RE: Opening project whilst Sonar is open 2008/09/09 11:51:07 (permalink)
    What you're describing chris is what happened to me when I went with Vista as well. It's definitely a Vista UAC symptom or something. I'm logged as an Administrator as well.

When you 2x click on a document in an OS, the OS has to temporarily store a path to the file in memory, then open the application, then open that stored path within the application. With opening the app first, you're not requiring the OS to "remember" anything. I don't know why Vista doesn't work with SONAR on remembering the requested file, but you're not the only one this happens to. I'm running SONAR Pro 6.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1