Opinion on Audio Cleaning Lab?

Author
mose
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 513
2008/12/19 16:47:36 (permalink)

Opinion on Audio Cleaning Lab?

I received an email from Magix today, and one of their specials is $5 off on their Audio Cleaning Lab 14. I'm kind of looking for some good audio cleaning software (because I don't want to spend the bucks on iZoptope Rx ). There's very little information on their web page, because they are probably trying to market the software to novice users as super easy to use. Just click a button, and it solves all of your problems. The software looks geared toward removing pops, clicks and hiss from records that you record to you computer. Although, they say that the latest version removes camera noise better, too.

Has anyone used this software and have any opinions about it? Thanks.

www.soundclick.com/russellmosemann (Electronica flavored ear candy)

6 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Opinion on Audio Cleaning Lab? 2008/12/20 11:38:46 (permalink)
    I looked at the site...and at the music cleaner specifically. Not much info is given there as to what it does or how it does it or even what options are available in the " mastering" section of this program. It looks like a general use program for hobbyists making videos and converting LP's and such as opposed to what we need in mastering a song for final CD burn.

I have Ozone 3. I am satisfied with the results this gives. It has a number of "presets" that are good starting points for non-engineers like me. I can pretty much set up the mastering I need in a matter of moments, and quickly achieve a decent, sweet sounding tune. Much faster than having to set up compressors and eq, and whatnot from scratch. Well worth the cost at guitar center. ($200usd at the time)

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    wst3
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1979
    RE: Opinion on Audio Cleaning Lab? 2008/12/20 11:41:32 (permalink)
    I'm sorta in the same boat... I'd love to find something that isn't in the same price range as Rx or CEDAR that did the same job. I think I'm out of luck<G>...

I use Sony's Noise Reduction Plugin presently, and I've been using it since it first came out under the Sonic Foundry banner, so I know how to use it, and I can get good results reasonably quickly, but Rx is just better. I really should just get off the dime and buy it!

In the meantime I have tried a number of other tools, including Magix, Waves, and Tracer. None of them worked as well as what I'm using (Tracer has some interesting tricks, but didn't do as well on the bread-n-butter work.)

I'd suggest saving your pennies and getting Rx or checking out Sony's plug-in.

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Opinion on Audio Cleaning Lab? 2008/12/20 12:42:05 (permalink)
    All of the little programs that don't do the job..... if you take the money wasted on them, and maybe add a few dollars more , you get something decent that WILL do the job.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    JonD
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3617
    RE: Opinion on Audio Cleaning Lab? 2008/12/21 15:44:34 (permalink)
    Mose,

I have it. Bought it strictly to convert LPs... It does the job pretty well, but I can't honestly say I've delved deeply into all the features (Have only done 2 albums so far - Only about 90 more to go, lol).

For its intended purpose, I think it's well worth the money (I got it discounted too).

Haven't used it in a mix environment... But I agree with Guitarhacker -- probably best to spend a bit more for something designed for "pro" noise reduction. Here's one that hasn't been mentioned yet:

http://www.voxengo.com/product/redunoise/

I haven't used it, but I have quite a few other Voxengo plugs, and they're all top-notch. Try out the demo and see if if suits your needs.

JD

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
    mose
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 513
    RE: Opinion on Audio Cleaning Lab? 2008/12/21 20:51:52 (permalink)
    Thanks for the responses and the good advice. I've decided to save my pennies for iZoptope Rx. If that's the best, then I probably won't be happy with something cheap.

www.soundclick.com/russellmosemann (Electronica flavored ear candy)
    Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Opinion on Audio Cleaning Lab? 2008/12/21 21:12:55 (permalink)
    Like Jon I have the magix audio thing.. and it was bought mainly for converting tapes / LP's.. its a nice product for that, I can't fault it..

I also own Ozone... saved a bit on it because the box had a dent and it was returned I think.. it was classed as B-stock.. = a fair bit cheaper..

not sure if there is a new version of Rx coming out though.. if there was , then maybe you could get it cheaper for the older one.. or try to get a dented box one like me
    post edited by Fog - 2008/12/21 21:16:55
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1