Opinion on Audio/Midi Interfaces

Author
Su1c0c1dE
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18
2010/08/20 15:24:41 (permalink)

Opinion on Audio/Midi Interfaces

Hello All,

Would like to know what anyone’s take is on sound cards or interfaces. Or if this is even correct on having them compared.

I’m running music creator 5 and have a PCR-M50 Edirol midi keyboard controller.  It seem that when I use it with the USB cable connected to my PC, and launch Studio Instruments, I get no latency, however when launching Music Creator, then using a SoftSynth with a track, thats where I get the latency. 

I can’t seem to figure out how to correct the latency when using the software.  I even purchased the UA-2G Midi interface from Cakewalk and no changes; latency was still there.

So now some guy at a Sam Ash store recommended for me to purchase a better Audio interface, but I was confused as to why because I thought Audio interfaces were specifically meant for  recording analog signals as opposed to midi data, that’s why there are the two different interfaces; correct?

Anyways, I was wondering if I just need to get a better sound card; the type that actually gets installed into your mother board. Or one of those USB interfaces that I see, whether its Audio/Midi.   Also, is there anywhere in Music Creator that I need to go to for adjusting latency?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

7 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Opinion on Audio/Midi Interfaces 2010/08/20 19:44:57 (permalink)
    a MIDI USB cable will not solve latency problems.  there is only 2 things that will affect latency, the CPU speed and the soundcard and its drivers.

check my website for soundcard recommendations.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:Opinion on Audio/Midi Interfaces 2010/08/20 19:49:51 (permalink)
    You can adjust the latency under Options>Audio in MC. Move the Latency slider more to the 'Fast' side.
    But moving it too far can cause pops, clicks and other distortion, or outright audio dropout, where all sound stops.
    What sound card are you using? How fast is your computer and how much RAM? What's the Operating System? Is the OS 32-bit or 64-bit?
    Under Options>Audio in MC, what Driver Mode is selected?
    You should have MME and WDM available, and maybe WASAPI. MME is the slowest, WDM can give good results. Wasapi, which came out with Vista OS, can work, too.
    But when using a lot of soft synths and effects, your stock sound card will not be able to keep up. An audio interface designed for recording is recommended for those who want to use soft synths and effects, or have less powerful computers.
    You can get a USB interface, or a FireWire interface, or one that is installed directly in the computer, like a PCI card.
    Welcome to the forum.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Su1c0c1dE
    Re:Opinion on Audio/Midi Interfaces 2010/08/20 20:18:18 (permalink)
    hey Beagle,

Thanks for your reply... So you think those USB based interfaces are not good? You suggest a straight up Sound Card?

But what about for Midi? would this still apply for Midi latency?
    Su1c0c1dE
    Re:Opinion on Audio/Midi Interfaces 2010/08/20 20:24:24 (permalink)
    57Gregy,

I am actually using a 2.4 quad core duo, 2 gig ram, Win7 x32,  sound card I'm running is an old Trutlebeach Riviera card--this is by far not a typical sound card you'd want to use for this type of recording. However, I did use it in the past (back in the 90s), and had NO latency whatsoever--midi or audio...

Also, would an Audio interface only apply for analog recording, or does this also apply for midi as well?

Thanks for your response...
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:Opinion on Audio/Midi Interfaces 2010/08/20 20:45:20 (permalink)
    Beagle has lots of USB audio interfaces on his list.
    What you call "MIDI latency" is actually audio latency, since you're using software synthesizers. They take the MIDI data and render it into an audio signal. MIDI interfaces are merely connectors: a USB-to-MIDI converter justs converts the standard MIDI cable connections to a USB connector (plus maybe some electronic stuff inside it, to convert the standard MIDI messages to something transmittable via USB). If your MIDI controller already has a USB port, you don't need a USB-to-MIDI converter. Just plug it in to any unused USB port on the computer.
    Audio interface and sound card are used interchangably, but aren't exactly the same thing.
    Sound cards make sound; audio interfaces also make sound, but are much more efficient at it, and better able to handle audio data going both ways (recording and playback at the same time) than sound cards.
    When using software synthesizers, the audio interface is better at utilizing available resources (CPU power, memory) than a simple sound card, that's the "efficiency" aspect. Since your MIDI controller makes no sounds of it's own, you have to use soft synths to hear the MIDI data being played. The more synths and effects you add, the more that audio data gets bottled up in the sound card due to it's inefficiency. Eventually, it will be like rush hour on the LBJ freeway; everything stops.
    The audio interface has many more lanes than the sound card, so the traffic doesn't get bogged down as easily.
    If you can't reduce the latency to a decent level with the latency slider, and turning off all your other programs that might be using the processor's power, and maybe by adjusting the I/O Buffers or Buffers In Playback Queue in MC, Options>Audio, or by changing to a different Driver Mode, then you may as well accept that an audio interface will be necessary.
    See if that Turtle Beach sound card is still supported and if it has updated drivers. Probably not, since it's so old, but you can check anyway.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Su1c0c1dE
    Re:Opinion on Audio/Midi Interfaces 2010/08/20 20:57:03 (permalink)
    wow, thanks for the input Greg....  i really appreciate it.....

Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Opinion on Audio/Midi Interfaces 2010/08/21 11:15:14 (permalink)
    greg set you right there, I believe.  no I don't think usb cards are bad (I have one myself now).  it's that the UA-2G is NOT a soundcard, it's just a MIDI/USB cable.  you need a soundcard to resolve latency issues.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1