Optimal ASIO settings.

Author
Darkside024
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 43
2010/04/08 21:28:46 (permalink)

Optimal ASIO settings.

I do not fully understand how to optimize my ASIO settings. For instance, my buffer (by default?) is set at 256 ea. the check boxes for enabling write to cache are un checked. what is Triangle dithering?

My round trip latency seems to be at 10 ms or so.

I am using a E-mu 0404 usb 2.0 on a quad core 64 bit system with 6 gb ram

The reason im asking is because i am experiencing latency on a saved project that didn't seem to be there before.

I am running a plug in or 2 on about 9 tracks. (reverb, compressors) does that count as having the plug in "open" still even though i have closed the little pop up window? if so then, if i am happy with that setting i need to "freeze" the track?

Thanks for any help and or tips in advance!

13 Replies Related Threads

CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re:Optimal ASIO settings. 2010/04/08 21:35:26 (permalink)
    There are no set ASIo settings or even WDM setting. You just need see what works best for you and your pc. also, if you need low latency, then of course youll need to have them as low as possible and if you dont need low latency, then you can raise them as high as it takes to get your pc and sonar running good.

EAch project will perform differently, so you may need higher settings for bigger projects and smaller settings for smaller projects.

The higher your ASIO buffer, the less your CPU works and the lower your CPU % will be
    The lower your ASIo buffer, the more your CPU works and the higher your CPU % will be.

Its a balancing act and you need to find out yourself what works best for you
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    Re:Optimal ASIO settings. 2010/04/08 21:45:17 (permalink)
    Dark

http://www.cakewalk.com/T.s/SONAR/PatchMixDSP.aspx

also there is another page.. have you seen / gone thru both of them?

as mentioned already there is no "set" rule for how to setup asio, in the sense of what synths  / fx vst's etc people use.. if your having issues up the buffers, yer you might get a higher latency, but IMHO anything less than 27-28ms is workable..

Crg
    • Total Posts : 7719
    Re:Optimal ASIO settings. 2010/04/08 21:49:00 (permalink)
    You're asking a bunch of different questions there Darkside.
    While everything has to through ASIO at some point, it's all the points in between that add to latency. Plugins that are on (green light) effect the track whether you have the editor open or not. That pop up is the editor for the plugin. You can freeze the track plugin or apply it if you're happy with it and save some processing. In your case I'd have to say, if the plugins are all set the same on those 9 tracks, put the plugins in the master or an effects buss. If they are not the same in each track, freeze or apply them. Save a copy of your raw tracks, copies of the plugin settings, remove the plugins, see if it still happens. If it does, look into your interface drivers and settings.
    Why do you ask about triangle dithering?  

Craig DuBuc
    Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re:Optimal ASIO settings. 2010/04/08 22:55:00 (permalink)
    The ASIO buffer size will stay constant (unless you change it).
    If you're experiencing additional latency, it's due to inserting a latent plugin.
    Convolution Reverb, Mastering plugins, and FFT Filters are some examples of typically latent plugins.
    Insert these anywhere in a project, and Sonar delays all other tracks to maintain sample accurate sync between all tracks.
    This is known at automatic PDC (plugin delay compensation).
    The workaround is to either remove the latent plugin/s while tracking... or to temporarily disable PDC while tracking (then re-enable when finished).

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    chrisharbin
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1852
    Re:Optimal ASIO settings. 2010/04/08 23:02:43 (permalink)
    Darkside024

I do not fully understand how to optimize my ASIO settings. For instance, my buffer (by default?) is set at 256 ea. the check boxes for enabling write to cache are un checked. what is Triangle dithering?

My round trip latency seems to be at 10 ms or so.

I am using a E-mu 0404 usb 2.0 on a quad core 64 bit system with 6 gb ram

The reason im asking is because i am experiencing latency on a saved project that didn't seem to be there before.

I am running a plug in or 2 on about 9 tracks. (reverb, compressors) does that count as having the plug in "open" still even though i have closed the little pop up window? if so then, if i am happy with that setting i need to "freeze" the track?

Thanks for any help and or tips in advance!

10ms round trip isn't bad. I'm at about 9.2 and it feels natural to me. (well, for a computer interface)

i7 860/MSI mobo/8GB ram/win7x64ultimate/X2/profire 610/oxygen 61/running 48k currently.
    Darkside024
    Re:Optimal ASIO settings. 2010/04/09 00:49:59 (permalink)
    You're right, i am kind of all over the board with these questions. Its just that i when i hear my system boging or hear some delay, or latency, my first instinct is to fiddle with settings.

However i do think freezing the tracks or applying the effects has helped. My processor was getting around 40% ( is that normal for about 9 tracks with a plugin or two?) and has dropped to the 20's after freezing.

But i am still interested what dithering does under options>audio (with ASIO settings) and also what about the check boxes above the buffer settings?

lfm
    Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2216
    Re:Optimal ASIO settings. 2010/04/09 05:13:09 (permalink)
    Darkside024

But i am still interested what dithering does under options>audio (with ASIO settings) and also what about the check boxes above the buffer settings?
    Did you try the F1 key and getting online help. Sonar has pretty good explanations and help for dialogs.

I would deselect any dithering unless exporting audio.

Did you do the normal Perfomance settings unchecking visual effects stuff in Windows etc?

CJaysMusic
    Re:Optimal ASIO settings. 2010/04/09 17:17:52 (permalink)
    My processor was getting around 40% ( is that normal for about 9 tracks with a plugin or two?)

No and your system should not be bogging down at 40% CPU consumption. Your DAW (PC and Sonar) should run smooth with your CPU pegging 90%.
    Did I miss the post or paragraph where you said your pc specs?? and the programs running in it?
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    george4th
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 105
    Re:Optimal ASIO settings. 2010/04/09 18:11:51 (permalink)
    I experience pops and clicks when aroud 60 percent cpu usage.  I want to know what you are doing if you run smoothly at ninety percent usage. G

X1b PE, Sonar 8.5.3 PE 64bit...Amd Phenom II quad core processor 12gb ram,1tb hd & 500g hd, W7 64bit, Lynx AES16, (2) Apogee Rosetta 800's,Focal Twin6be's,M-Audio Midisport 4x4(64 bit driver), Mackie Control Universal Pro ++,Yamaha 01v96, All Rode mic's manufactered to date, alot of Shure mics,Yamaha XS8, Alesis QS8.1, Kurzweil k2000rs, Yamaha Motif es76, Kurzweil pc88, Roland XV-3080, Way too many guitars, a multitude of outboard processors,Yamaha C1 piano, Bach Strad, Yamaha Xeno, Yamaha 731 Flugel
    acoustic12
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 51
    Re:Optimal ASIO settings. 2010/04/09 22:03:28 (permalink)
    Which CPU meter are you guys looking at?
    CJaysMusic
    Re:Optimal ASIO settings. 2010/04/09 23:28:17 (permalink)
    experience pops and clicks when aroud 60 percent cpu usage. I want to know what you are doing if you run smoothly at ninety percent usage. G

Its all about your sound card and its drivers and your pc hardware. I do nothing special. I built my own pc, thats about it
    Cj

Audio Blog
    Darkside024
    Re:Optimal ASIO settings. 2010/04/10 14:03:09 (permalink)
    My Pc is a quad core 2.3 ghz system with 6 gb of ram sunning on Vista 64. Sonar is set up in 64 bit mode.

When i recorded the tracks the latency was fine. it seemed to show up after i open the saved project. For example,
    if i hit a key on my midi keyboard its like an 8th of a second delay or more which wasnt present when i started the project. Vocal track was the same way..

It seemed to be an issue with input echo because if i direct monitor through my sound card it was fine.
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re:Optimal ASIO settings. 2010/04/10 14:40:51 (permalink)
    You can not compare a direct out monitoring to Sonar and input echo. With your hardware sending the signal out to your monitors and also to Sonar the one going to the monitors is instant. Its going from the inputs to the outputs directly. Where with Sonar the signal has to go through the hardware converters in the computer and Sonar then played back from Sonar through any effects you may have in the track's FX bin. Its not just going twice as far but its being processed in doing so twice. Each stage causes a delay. It amazes me that we can do this at all. 

Best
    John
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1