Optimizing Windows 7 DAW for audio recording

Author
koikane
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 397
2010/11/21 13:28:02 (permalink)

Optimizing Windows 7 DAW for audio recording

I was curious as we used to do this for XP, here is a tutorial put together by Focusrite http://hackyourwindows.com/tutorial/180/How-to-optimize-your-Windows-7-PC-for-audio.html

This does add a couple things we did not due with XP.
Enjoy your gobs of RAM

The Neighborhood KoiKane

If it's not in the mix, it's not in the master 
http://www.soundclick.com/kandd
https://soundcloud.com/user-121927816
Motu MK3, Tascam-DM24, Lucid Work Clocked & Powercore Firewire
Windows 10 64 bit, MSI MOBO, Intel i7-3770 @ 3.40GHz, 16 gigs of ram
Sonar Platinum, some Plugins, crud, junk, some wires and stuff

6 Replies Related Threads

tarsier
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3029
    Re:Optimizing Windows 7 DAW for audio recording 2010/11/22 10:44:38 (permalink)
    Aarrgh. It's a video. Of all the stupid ways to present a LIST of optimizations. Sure, a video is good to illustrate how to do something, but you have to sit through the whole thing to get the entire list.  They should have a text list with links to videos of how to do the individual item.

Plus, they repeat the myth that you should set your scheduler to "background services".  Noel debunked this one a while back. Leave it set to its default.

And they suggested setting your theme to 'classic'. That's one of those things that has dubious value for Win7. If you're having trouble with Aero on, then by all means turn it off. But if you're running Sonar fine with Aero on (and I'm pretty sure Brandon's, Seth's, and Robin's demos all have Aero on) then leave it.
    pwal
    Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2909
    Re:Optimizing Windows 7 DAW for audio recording 2010/11/24 11:23:35 (permalink)
    i didn't watch the vid, but the only thing i've done to w7 specifically for audio is to keep my vst folder outside the "program files" hive...

list of stuff
    John T
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6783
    Re:Optimizing Windows 7 DAW for audio recording 2010/11/24 11:28:08 (permalink)
    Yeah, the thing about Aero is that it's more or less entirely offloaded to the graphics hardware. It'll make no odds whatsoever to DAW performance on any even half-decent system.

http://johntatlockaudio.com/
    Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
    Cicatrix
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 40
    Re:Optimizing Windows 7 DAW for audio recording 2010/12/01 13:49:01 (permalink)
    pwal

i didn't watch the vid, but the only thing i've done to w7 specifically for audio is to keep my vst folder outside the "program files" hive...

I did not know to do this.
    Could someone explain the benefit of moving the vst folder somewhere besides "program files"

koikane
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 397
    Re:Optimizing Windows 7 DAW for audio recording 2010/12/06 10:52:16 (permalink)
    tarsier

Aarrgh. It's a video. Of all the stupid ways to present a LIST of optimizations. Sure, a video is good to illustrate how to do something, but you have to sit through the whole thing to get the entire list.  They should have a text list with links to videos of how to do the individual item.

Plus, they repeat the myth that you should set your scheduler to "background services".  Noel debunked this one a while back. Leave it set to its default.

And they suggested setting your theme to 'classic'. That's one of those things that has dubious value for Win7. If you're having trouble with Aero on, then by all means turn it off. But if you're running Sonar fine with Aero on (and I'm pretty sure Brandon's, Seth's, and Robin's demos all have Aero on) then leave it.

Hmmm, for novice users I would think a more demonstrated "how to" would be welcome, however for us more seasoned vets I can see how a vid may be overstepping the boundries.

Taking this a step further I have also discovered the use of themes in Win 7.  You can access this by right clicking on the desktop and choosing "preferences" this is the old properties area.  You can have themes set up with on board audio/sounds set on, or set off.

This may be helpful to those that use their DAW for more than just a studio.

Hope this helps some....sorry if I didn't include a link to a video for the nubile.

If it's not in the mix, it's not in the master 
    http://www.soundclick.com/kandd
    https://soundcloud.com/user-121927816
    Motu MK3, Tascam-DM24, Lucid Work Clocked & Powercore Firewire
    Windows 10 64 bit, MSI MOBO, Intel i7-3770 @ 3.40GHz, 16 gigs of ram
    Sonar Platinum, some Plugins, crud, junk, some wires and stuff
    johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re:Optimizing Windows 7 DAW for audio recording 2010/12/06 12:20:53 (permalink)
    I recorded a live Christmas Concert on Saturday night and when I do these gigs I always like a back up system running. So I grabbed my little Asus 1000HE netbook ( don't laugh, it worked flawlessly) and installed the drivers for my M Audio Fast track Pro. The netbook runs XP SP3 . Now this comuter is my main internet, office, presentation, download, e-mail. watch movies, playback at live gigs and god only knows what I've got in there etc. I defragged it, that's all.
    I ran dpclat and of course things were ugly, So I did only 2 things, shut off wireless, disabled battery managment and bingo, in the green steady as a rock. Occasional yellow spike.

So bottom line is even a pathetically small CPU with min RAM will work fine without fuss. For laptops it's that battery management for sure.
    A while back I re did the OS on my DAW. After the fresh install I ran dpclat and it was down at the bottom in the green. This was XP SP3 so not sure how W7 would fair with it's added bloat ware. I used to shut off a bunch of processes now I see no need to. Just system restore which I've never used anyhow. 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1