Options for percussion - newbie to drums

Author
gimme789
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7
2008/01/05 08:11:05 (permalink)

Options for percussion - newbie to drums

HI, I am new to this forum. My recordings in the past have always been fairly simple, just
acoustic guitars, no Midi, no drums. I am now getting the bug to incorporate drums, bass,
and possibly some keyboards into future recordings.

My question is : How many ways are there to get a decent drum track into cakewalk ?
I was thinking of buying an external drum machine, and using it as a Midi input to trigger
drum sounds, but, before I do this, I was hoping perhaps I could get some advice on
the "best" way to do drums.

Or perhaps, there is a way to get a decent drum sound without even using an external unit ?

I would like to be able to program the drums with some sort of pads, or such. IE a "virtual"
kit with pads, or some sort of keyboard entry.

I suppose I also want my future recordings to have some sort of Midi sync in them.

Sorry if this question is to high a level, but I want to have a good idea of my direction before spending any money.

THANKS in advance for all advice given !

7 Replies Related Threads

torhan
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4271
    RE: Options for percussion - newbie to drums 2008/01/05 08:27:50 (permalink)
    There are many soft-synth options available for drums.

There are sample libraries like StormDrum, which has both loops and samples.

Jamstix, which uses midi patterns in quite a unique way.

BFD, which gives you the ability to really fine tune the sounds -- with control of mic positions, etc.

Battery - a drum sampler

Mixosaurus - expensive and expansive drum library with Kontakt player as its interface -- comes on its own external harddrive.

Stylus RMX

Guru

EZ Drummer

DKFH

Or you can go for a full-fledged sampler like Kontakt -- which comes with a huge library. Then you can just buy samples as you need them.

Other options include using Acid loops or midi patterns.
    Here's a list of freeware..mostly 'synth drums.'

That should get you started!
    post edited by torhan - 2008/01/05 08:30:50

Sonar Platinum
    Premier Tracks
    ASCAP
    gimme789
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: Options for percussion - newbie to drums 2008/01/05 09:13:38 (permalink)
    thanks for the fast reply, I'll start investigating
    dredd i knight
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 132
    RE: Options for percussion - newbie to drums 2008/01/07 21:40:58 (permalink)
    as for how to input them, the akai mpd24 and the korg padKontrol are good. i have the PK and its fun using the 16 pads to trigger the beats.
    there's loads of stuf on youtube that'll give you a look at where your money would be going.
    hth

AMD 64+, Windows XP SP2, Edirol FA66, Beringer Truth monitors, 2*Technics 1200's, Pioneer 909 dj mixer, Sonar 7, Stylus RMX, Guru, Dimension Pro, Rapture, P5v2.5, Trilogy, Battery 3, Atmosphere, Ableton live 5
    :10:
    Max Output Level: -38.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3678
    RE: Options for percussion - newbie to drums 2008/01/11 11:15:58 (permalink)
    you forgot to mention my favorite...- Linplugs RMIV (soon to be RMV)

I cant wait for the update....and, I might have just contributed a few loops for it....

OldNick
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1149
    RE: Options for percussion - newbie to drums 2008/01/12 20:08:38 (permalink)
    It seems to me that an important question here is : What have you already got to record/play MIDI? This can enormously affect the things you have or need to do to get drums / bass etc.

edit: also what PC do you have? Plugins can take up quite a bit of power and need RAM to work well.

There are full pad and drum > midi units available, or you could use something like the Alesis D4 or D5. I built my own pads for a D4 using rubber sheeting and cheap Radio Shack surface contact piezo pickups.

I have to say that unless you are or want to become a good drummer, it's better to either find a good drummer or write the drums into your sequencer. With the right software etc you can actually make a very expressive drum track.

Regarding MIDI sync in your stuff, the easiest way is to lay down a MIDI drum beat or bassline that you write rather than play, then play along with that, or you can use a Metronome in your sequencer and play along with that. There are ways to fit Audio to MIDI after the fact, but they can be fiddly.

Nick
    post edited by OldNick - 2008/01/12 22:22:33

Nick
    Aced : Zither Mush (I no longer have ANY idea what this means)
    Ancient Seeker of Artifacts
    Platinum 23.4.0, Win 7 64 bit
    mose
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 513
    RE: Options for percussion - newbie to drums 2008/01/12 21:11:00 (permalink)
    Good summary, torhan. gimme789, if you don't want to fiddle with drumming (so to speak, heh), you might be quite interested in Jamstix 2 that torhan suggested. You can choose the style of music (rock, pop, etc.) and then have it jam with you. You can also choose the drum kit and the drummer you want. If you want to use a different drum source, Jamstix can be a VST host. It will load your drum VST into itself and play it for you. It has a lot of flexibility, depending on how much control you want (or don't want).

EDIT: There is a demo of Jamstix you can download and test before you shell out any money.
    post edited by mose - 2008/01/12 21:27:33
    mose
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 513
    RE: Options for percussion - newbie to drums 2008/01/12 21:19:28 (permalink)
    You can get the free MyDrumset plugin from www.bluenoise.no, but you need to do your own MIDI drumming, of course. Someone posted a link on the forum to 1GB of drum loops for something like $10, if you are into loops. I can't find the link in my bookmarks, but you could search the forum if you are interested in it.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1