Orchestra in a rock concert

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Searchfinger
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 104
2010/07/28 08:09:49 (permalink)

Orchestra in a rock concert

First of all, I don't read music .  Yeah I know, I'm just your average musician who learns by listening and finding out for myself.  I haven't been to any music lessons of any kind.   The kind that teaches you how to read music sharps, flats, modes, scales and all those things.  Don't get me wrong, I know my sharps, flats and naturals enough to get by but I just don't read music. I envy my fellow musicians who do.

This is probably the reason why I don't understand why a violin section or a cello quartet or an orchestra playing behind a band in a concert can't memorize their lines and they need to have a copy of every note to play.   Is it really that hard to play such instruments in a concert that you absolutely cannot memorize your lines and when to play them that you need to be looking at your sheet?  I'm just confused really why.  

If the band can play an entire 10 minute song without looking at a lead sheet (much less jump around headbanging their heads) and finish it with a bang, why can't they?  Of course, it would be ridiculous for them to be headbanging their heads with the band while playing violin but aren't they good enough to play their instruments without looking at the notes?

I know I'm probably stupid for thinking about this, but I just want to know the reason why...  I don't want to enroll in a conservatory of music just to find out the reason.

So, will the wise ones in this forum tell me why?  The reason might be staring me at the face but I'm just not getting it...

38 Replies Related Threads

ericyeoman
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 976
    Re:Orchestra in a rock concert 2010/07/28 08:28:21 (permalink)
    Some thoughts:

1. It removes the chance for error. In an orchestra of 80+ players, things can
    get very messy very quickly if too many mistakes are made.

2. The players do not have the time to learn the peice by rote. They may have had
    only 20 minutes or so to familiarise themselves with the peice.

3. Most players do learn most of the peice, if played often enough, but the score acts as a prompt.

4. A band will rehearse for many months to hone a 90 minute set, an orchestra will be expected
    to play maybe several 90 minute different programs a week, there just isn't the time to learn all the notes.

So, in essence, I guess it's to do with the fact that an orchestra is expected to play a vastly greater
    repertoire than the average band over a shorter amount of time.

CuBase, Ableton, Steinberg UR-22 MKII, i7-4790K 4.00 Ghz, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RAM, Windows 10. 
    mgh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:Orchestra in a rock concert 2010/07/28 08:35:00 (permalink)
    it's also about how you learn. for example, i can learn a piece on guitar and memorise it, cos that's how i've learnt to do it. but i need the music to play most things on piano, cos having lessons as a child that's how i learned. OTOH this means i can sight-read almost anything on the piano, whereas reading from TAB or notation on the guitar is a slower process.

however, instrumental soloists (in concerti) memorise the piece they are performing, but they will have many weeks/months learning the part...

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    ericyeoman
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 976
    Re:Orchestra in a rock concert 2010/07/28 08:46:25 (permalink)
    whereas reading from TAB or notation on the guitar is a slower process.

Provided the dots are correct:

The Trial of Ralph McTell

CuBase, Ableton, Steinberg UR-22 MKII, i7-4790K 4.00 Ghz, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RAM, Windows 10. 
    Searchfinger
    Re:Orchestra in a rock concert 2010/07/28 08:51:25 (permalink)
    ericyeoman

Some thoughts:

1. It removes the chance for error. In an orchestra of 80+ players, things can
    get very messy very quickly if too many mistakes are made.

2. The players do not have the time to learn the peice by rote. They may have had
    only 20 minutes or so to familiarise themselves with the peice.

3. Most players do learn most of the peice, if played often enough, but the score acts as a prompt.

4. A band will rehearse for many months to hone a 90 minute set, an orchestra will be expected
    to play maybe several 90 minute different programs a week, there just isn't the time to learn all the notes.

So, in essence, I guess it's to do with the fact that an orchestra is expected to play a vastly greater
    repertoire than the average band over a shorter amount of time.

Aha! that sure makes sense.   I know there must a good reason for that.

I was watching a concert on DVD (I wouldn't tell what band).  And I was thinking... come on guys... you can probably play better than this guys on their instruments (the bands performance on that concert i think really sucks) and you are reading a score.  I just thougt the band probably needed the score more than the orchestra behind them...

Thanks for the enlightenment...

mgh
    Re:Orchestra in a rock concert 2010/07/28 08:57:44 (permalink)
    Classic stuff! Nice link.

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    Searchfinger
    Re:Orchestra in a rock concert 2010/07/28 09:02:13 (permalink)
    Provided the dots are correct: The Trial of Ralph McTell

The dots, can't live without them...
    Dave Modisette
    • Total Posts : 11050
    Re:Orchestra in a rock concert 2010/07/28 10:03:16 (permalink)
    I've played shows where you had 45 - 60 minutes to rehearse a 90 minute show.  The charts are critical in that type of situation. 

Basically what you do is hit the Intros and Outros and any spot that the talent may deviate from the tempo or chart.  They might tell the drummer to accent along with a body movement or the band is to "Vamp" on a section while they insert a funny story, etc.

FWIW, the gigs where you have to read music pay better than the gigs where you rehearse the band for six months while everyone learns their parts (generally speaking.)

On another note:  When you see an orchestra with a band, usually the orchestra is local musicians with a few key musicians that travel with the band.  Musicians that can sight read and work with little or no rehearsal get those kinds of gigs.  When I hire back up musicians, they get an hour dress rehearsal and we are ready to perform.  If they don't hit it right, they don't get called the next time.
    post edited by Mod Bod - 2010/07/28 10:08:27

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:Orchestra in a rock concert 2010/07/28 10:28:31 (permalink)
    Yeah, I once dated a young lady who played keyboards/piano and who had piano lessons from a very young age, up until the age of about 18/19.

She was a VERY good sight reader and could pay some fairly intricate stuff after a couple of run throughs.

Could she improvise? Or play by ear?

Nope. It all had to be written down, even in her funny little "shorthand" notation - even when playing live!

It's a question of what you're used to.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:Orchestra in a rock concert 2010/07/28 10:38:18 (permalink)
    ericyeoman

whereas reading from TAB or notation on the guitar is a slower process.

Provided the dots are correct:

The Trial of Ralph McTell

Hmmmm. Mark King could not play that Alembic without the dots.

I'll need to collect a lot of books with a lot of dots before I get a second Alembic.
    Mooch4056
    Max Output Level: -0.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7494
    Re:Orchestra in a rock concert 2010/07/28 12:45:02 (permalink)
    Searchfinger

First of all, I don't read music .  Yeah I know, I'm just your average musician who learns by listening and finding out for myself.  I haven't been to any music lessons of any kind.   The kind that teaches you how to read music sharps, flats, modes, scales and all those things.  Don't get me wrong, I know my sharps, flats and naturals enough to get by but I just don't read music. I envy my fellow musicians who do.

This is probably the reason why I don't understand why a violin section or a cello quartet or an orchestra playing behind a band in a concert can't memorize their lines and they need to have a copy of every note to play.   Is it really that hard to play such instruments in a concert that you absolutely cannot memorize your lines and when to play them that you need to be looking at your sheet?  I'm just confused really why.  

If the band can play an entire 10 minute song without looking at a lead sheet (much less jump around headbanging their heads) and finish it with a bang, why can't they?  Of course, it would be ridiculous for them to be headbanging their heads with the band while playing violin but aren't they good enough to play their instruments without looking at the notes?

I know I'm probably stupid for thinking about this, but I just want to know the reason why...  I don't want to enroll in a conservatory of music just to find out the reason.

So, will the wise ones in this forum tell me why?  The reason might be staring me at the face but I'm just not getting it...

I know where your coming from - I am a school band director - (out of work one at that )

I 've done both. I've played bass in rock bands and no problem having a 3 hour show memorized - I've also played in high school and college band/orchestras with 150 plus members that would no way get by with out the music ... there are a few thoughts on this .....

1. You have the ability to literally pass out the music and perform it on spot - which is good playing at parties and what not with the rock type bands when people are yelling requests of songs that you dont know but have the sheet music - -(ive done many weddings and use to run a corporate wedding band so .....that came in handy )

the draw back is a group of poor sight reading musicians play it poor - and the group that has good sight readers play it passable - either way  - it really should still be rehearsed

2. - 100 plus peice orchestra usually has very complicated music - with many harmonies - and counter melody parts - I've been in rock bands with the songs would have any where from 3-10 chords for the most part and 2-4 harmony parts - making it easy to memorize especially if the song is catchy and easy to keep in your head -- on the other hand -- a 100 or more piece orchestra with complicated chords- counter melodies - compicated song forum - is very difficult to have memorized and rehearsed with the style the conductor is calling for with out not only the written music notes -- but written notes in "normal language like ..... (play under the flutes here) - or more staccato at measure 40 ) -- or a dynamic crossed out and a new one written in at the conductors request) ... and you don't just have one 10 plus minute piece of music that has all that -- but say 6 or 7 ten plus minutes of tunes like that - The mclassical musician will also be playing notes rather than knowing what the chords are - to form a 3 note chord they would need 3 different notes assighned to at least three different musicians -so if you want a c hoord to an F chord - a guitar player would play a C chord - than an F chord - in orchestra music you would have 3 violin players - one violin plays a c note - the second plays an e note and the third play a g note - all three at the same time - make the c chord - then they go to an F chord - violin one plays an F - the second violin plays the A and the third violin plays the C -- so you have 100 plus musician doing all those different things forming chords and what not

yeah - you thought learning 3 new songs in a I IV V rock band took a long time with out music -- try doing it the orchestra way with out music ... and well - it'd be hard

being a pop/rock performer is a WHOLE new game than being a classical musician - always has been since musicians worked for the king as a surf preparing quartets for lunch and dinner music back in the 1600 and 1700's - to the troubadours who played there lute on the street in the 1600 and 1700's - Nothing has really changed since now has it ?

And yes usually classical music people are good at playing classical and nothing else - and rock musicians are good at playing rock and nothing else - however - I have found trained jazz musicians to be the most versatile at playing with or with out music in pretty versatile in any stile or genre of music - but not always - we play how we are trained - with a combination of what comes naturally to you

Hope that helps you. WHAT!?
    post edited by Mooch4056 - 2010/07/28 12:54:21

From Now On Call Me Conquistador! 

Donate to the cure Bapu Foundation
    Email: mooch4056@gmail.com for more info

bapu
    Re:Orchestra in a rock concert 2010/07/28 12:57:33 (permalink)
    Mooch. 

One word.
    MIDI.

Mooch4056
    Re:Orchestra in a rock concert 2010/07/28 13:08:30 (permalink)
    bapu

Mooch. 

One word.
    MIDI.

If I had a choice to see a midi orchestra do  Vivaldi or The Chicago Symphony play Vivaldi - which one do you think I'd pick ? WHAT!?

Mooch4056
    Re:Orchestra in a rock concert 2010/07/28 13:09:51 (permalink)
    bapu

Mooch. 

One word.
    MIDI.

one Two word words - Auctioned Off WHAT!?
    post edited by Mooch4056 - 2010/07/28 13:11:51

Searchfinger
    Re:Orchestra in a rock concert 2010/07/28 13:42:20 (permalink)
    2. - 100 plus peice orchestra usually has very complicated music - with many harmonies - and counter melody parts - I've been in rock bands with the songs would have any where from 3-10 chords for the most part and 2-4 harmony parts - making it easy to memorize especially if the song is catchy and easy to keep in your head -- on the other hand -- a 100 or more piece orchestra with complicated chords- counter melodies - compicated song forum - is very difficult to have memorized and rehearsed with the style the conductor is calling for with out not only the written music notes -- but written notes in "normal language like ..... (play under the flutes here) - or more staccato at measure 40 ) -- or a dynamic crossed out and a new one written in at the conductors request) ... and you don't just have one 10 plus minute piece of music that has all that -- but say 6 or 7 ten plus minutes of tunes like that - The mclassical musician will also be playing notes rather than knowing what the chords are - to form a 3 note chord they would need 3 different notes assighned to at least three different musicians -so if you want a c hoord to an F chord - a guitar player would play a C chord - than an F chord - in orchestra music you would have 3 violin players - one violin plays a c note - the second plays an e note and the third play a g note - all three at the same time - make the c chord - then they go to an F chord - violin one plays an F - the second violin plays the A and the third violin plays the C -- so you have 100 plus musician doing all those different things forming chords and what not yeah - you thought learning 3 new songs in a I IV V rock band took a long time with out music -- try doing it the orchestra way with out music ... and well - it'd be hard

If you're a 100 piece orchestra doing a concerto, it would make sense but say if you're just cello quartet playing the bridge section of a song in a rock band it would look very snobish (i don't know a more appropriate word) if your using a sheet with all the notations.  I mean, come on now, it's just the bridge, you can probably do it with your eyes closed.
    dmbaer
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2585
    Re:Orchestra in a rock concert 2010/07/28 13:51:47 (permalink)
    Mooch4056

If I had a choice to see a midi orchestra do  Vivaldi or The Chicago Symphony play Vivaldi - which one do you think I'd pick ?
    Well, I'd probably not bother with the Chicago Symphony playing Vivaldi.  I don't mean to sound snobbish, but modern orchestras just can't do justice to music from the Baroque era.  Now, Vivaldi played by the Philharmonia Baroque Orchestra or several other top notch period instrument ensambles is something else entirely.  There's truly a world of difference.

Mooch4056
    Re:Orchestra in a rock concert 2010/07/28 14:00:31 (permalink)
    If you're a 100 piece orchestra doing a concerto, it would make sense but say if you're just cello quartet playing the bridge section of a song in a rock band it would look very snobish (i don't know a more appropriate word) if your using a sheet with all the notations. I mean, come on now, it's just the bridge, you can probably do it with your eyes closed.

yeah you would think ....

The problem is when your dealing with most string players violin, viola ect ..... they are trained to look and read and stare at music - they don't typically memorize - although some recitals require it -

so your not really gonna break that habit - there is also the rehearsal thing - and this part is just my opinion - but I think that the string section in a pop or rock song could be learned by a string quartet in probably one run through with sheet music - there not going to sit through a long pop/rock band rehearsal for  40  second or less musical section

this is just how they are trained - right or wrong  - classically trained string players rely on sheet music - and MIGHT memorize for a solo recital but even then -- hmmm 

again -- they or at least most of them won't break there old habits of reading the music -

and they are just as confused or amazed that pop music do it all with out music

I am not really amazed by any of it because I can do both and have done both - I think if you want to be a true pro  and true well rounded musicians

you should be able to do both - just like you can both read - and talk - the written word - same should be for music

its not that way in music - but -- ehhh

anyway -- it's what they are used to and trained to do them there pesky string players

if someone asked you to play something with reading music and you wernt use to reading the notes you would probably feel the same way as the quartet does about not having music -

WHAT!?

Mooch4056
    Re:Orchestra in a rock concert 2010/07/28 14:04:52 (permalink)
    dmbaer

Mooch4056

If I had a choice to see a midi orchestra do  Vivaldi or The Chicago Symphony play Vivaldi - which one do you think I'd pick ?
    Well, I'd probably not bother with the Chicago Symphony playing Vivaldi.  I don't mean to sound snobbish, but modern orchestras just can't do justice to music from the Baroque era.  Now, Vivaldi played by the Philharmonia Baroque Orchestra or several other top notch period instrument ensambles is something else entirely.  There's truly a world of difference.

You would rather hear Vivaldi on a computer sythn midi triggered piano than a world class orchestra  like CSO?  okaaaay then.

PS - I live in Chicago so that would be THE orchestra to go see where I live -- give me that over a midi performance over any classical composers of any time period any day

not to sound snobish WHAT!?

post edited by Mooch4056 - 2010/07/28 14:06:39

UbiquitousBubba
    • Total Posts : 8912
    Re:Orchestra in a rock concert 2010/07/28 14:28:25 (permalink)
    It's probably also a better choice than listening to Vivaldi as performed by Joey "The Cowpolka King".

(No offense, Joey.)  http://www.musicwagon.com/

Moshkiae
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6111
    Re:Orchestra in a rock concert 2010/07/28 14:37:02 (permalink)
    Hi,

... If the band can play an entire 10 minute song without looking at a lead sheet (much less jump around headbanging their heads) and finish it with a bang, why can't they?  Of course, it would be ridiculous for them to be headbanging their heads with the band while playing violin but aren't they good enough to play their instruments without looking at the notes? 

As mentioned above, the rock'n'roll score is pretty much vanilla, or as I like to say .... sometimes the rock'n'roll is just plain ... 5th to 6th grade music! And this is one of my usual complaints about too much rock music being not only the same, but it also using the same generic format for composition!

The other thing within a concert/orchestra that is tough is that "stars" don't always rehearse with the whole company ... Pavarotti came in did one rehearsal and then sang and was gone the next day.

Playing Stravinsky is not easy. Playing Rachmaninoff is not easy. Playing The Rolling Stones is boring for most high level musicians that play in orchestras, because it is so simplistic and many times ... yeah ... not polite! What you probably don't see is that many of these professional musicians already go to the rehearsal knowing their parts reasonably well, and the conductor adds the touches that make it what it is!

Orchestra rehearsals are very tough ... because you are paying 100 people or more ... and you are only collecting 25 bux at the door. The having to know the music before the rehearsal is probably mandatory and the definition of a "professional".

The big thing with "progressive" music, for some groups was that they WERE playing music, and doing a lot more, and there are many groups out there that DO have scores with them, and it is not an issue. Even Frank Zappa used to have a lot of paper right by him! And you can see "Zappa plays Zappa" and see the same thing.

In general, in my own words, this was the biggest rap against most of the "pop music" ... and it has always been that way ... and you can see the gigantic efforts that folks like The Beatles and so many others have gone to to try and elevate the standard ... only to have people go back to the metronome (or DAW) and not the music -- how elementary of them? The Who did not call it "a rock opera" because they were a bunch of idiots that wanted to flaunt classical music!

But there are many rock musicians that stand out over the rest when it comes to music ... and one very good example is Jimmy Page, who used to do fills over orchestrated stuff and was doing them so well that Giorgio Gomelsky just said ... do whatever you want ... and later you could see his musical knowledge walking all over rock music with his guitar ... it wasn't even funny! It just showed you how much more this person knew about music, and how simply it had been used for so long.

One other thing ... a lot of opera and other music has more than one melody coming and going and it is not simply "one line of music" ... and that is something that most rock music is not capable of doing, that jazz is not capable of doing and that ... more than 80% of all "progressive" music are not capable of doing ... BUT ... one big BUT here ... it does not make the music any better or more appreciated because of it ... sometimes it is just clutter! ... and a single thread with effects a la Klaus Schulze is much more interesting and alive than otherwise. The biggest rap against a lot of "academic" and "modern" music is that it has lost its touch and too much of it was simply composed in the classroom, and not in the emotions or the heart. ... which of course, guess what popular music and rock music brought to the table? ... exactly what a lot of classical music had been missing for some time!
    post edited by Moshkiae - 2010/07/28 14:52:49

As a wise Guy once stated from his holy chapala ... none of the hits, none of the time ... prevents you from becoming just another turkey in the middle of all the other turkeys! 

Mooch4056
    Re:Orchestra in a rock concert 2010/07/28 15:01:01 (permalink)
    bravo Mosh ...What!?

Truckermusic
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1924
    Re:Orchestra in a rock concert 2010/07/28 16:17:57 (permalink)
    Mooch4056

dmbaer

Mooch4056

You would rather hear Vivaldi on a computer sythn midi triggered piano than a world class orchestra  like CSO?  okaaaay then.

PS - I live in Chicago so that would be THE orchestra to go see where I live -- give me that over a midi performance over any classical composers of any time period any day

+++111111

I lived in Chicago 90% of my life.....I went to DePaul University in Chicago......For my Guitar Lessons I used to have to go Downtown in the Fine Arts Building.....although at first I thought this was going to be a PITA.......but it turned out to be the best thing in the world for me..... My Lessons were on Friday night....."Concert" night for the CSO and Rehearsal night for the CSO Training orchestra up on the 10th floor of the Fine arts building.......

I remember trying to get to lesson a few hours early to stop at the local music stores...then head up to listen out side the door of thetraining orchestra's rehearsal.......Hit my lesson and then hit the CSO Concert before going home........

I REALLY MISS them Fridays now a days.....REALLY MISS THEM..........I learnt so much now I wish I would have tried to learn a 2nd instrument just to play in the Training orchestra.....

I used to play in Classical guitar quartets, duo's, Trio's and as a soloist.......we always used music......

I've played in contract for hire type Wedding band's that you needed to bring your fake book with you.....now some of the tunes you played from memory and some from the book....

I've Played in rock bands that you memorized music......which I had a hard time doing!....I always just barely got by....

now a days I play my classical for myself and find it is very very difficult to memorize my music.......cause I was never forced to back in college......but I have learnt new techniques now and am FORCEING MYSELF to MEMORIZE........but it is very very hard.....

I play in a Sunday Christinan band and find that I need to have my music in front of me..... cause I jsut cannot memorize 4 songs in a week...just absolutly out of the question for me.......but If I have my dots I can play all day........

Just one of life's little challenges.....

But I have to say........The CSO Rocks!!!!!!!...........

http://www.soundclick.com/cliffordamundsen 
    NZXT Phantom Case (in Black)
    Windows 7, Service Pack 1, 64 Bit OP
    Sonar X3 Producer, 64 Bit 
    Asus P8P67 Pro Rev.3 MoBo
    16 Gig of Ram 
    4.5 Gighz
    Intel i-7 2600k Quad Core Sandy Bridge
    Unibrain Firewire Card
    Edirol FA-101 Firewire interface
    Mackie Big Knob
    NI Komplete 8
    Machine 2
    mgh
    Re:Orchestra in a rock concert 2010/07/28 16:39:40 (permalink)
    you would rather hear Vivaldi on a computer sythn midi triggered piano than a world class orchestra  like CSO?  okaaaay then.

nah he was saying that pre-1750 music should be performed in a more 'authentic' style; basically a smaller orchestra playing with no vibrato, generally faster tempi than is currently fashionable. there are several profesional companies doing this such as the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment. personally being used to modern, romantic-style orchestras, it sounds a bit dry and strange like that, but lots of people like it.
    and anyhow, i woujldn't mind listening to it if programmed by someone expert like Rolifer (ron). and lots of music you hear on tv and cinema is now 'played' by samples...

Mooch4056
    Re:Orchestra in a rock concert 2010/07/28 16:58:58 (permalink)

play in a Sunday Christinan

Me too

As far as the CSO rockin - it sure does - arguably the best in the world - and if someone else doesn't think so they have a hard time saying its not one of the top in the world - - The cool thing  about going to college in Chicago at vandercook was the workshops and teachers that were in the CSO - such as  Arnold Jacobs - RIP - fascinating men those musicians - I got to play on the main stage in orchestra hall with union workers running around fetching stuff for us...... us being... The graduate Vandercook band  - how cool was that - 2 times I played there - and I graduated off that stage as well the 3rd time - all the great orchestras and players that stood in the same spot performing - was a thrill - like a little league pick up game being played on a major league baseball field - it was amazing  - chilling -- we even got top use the CSO lockers and warm up rooms with the musicians name on the lockers........also..... holding on to a powerful ending chord and releasing and getting that slap back in the hall is amazing as well - although my understanding some of the orchestra players dont like that at all - but it was designed that way in the remodeling by some fancy pancy sound architect I understand

What I have found is that if I stray from memorizing music too long I rely on paper too much as well - but I also find that for guitar players and piano players it's easier in pop music because your more or less memorizing standard simple chord patterns than actual music notes individually -- and the melodies are more simplified and easier to sing along with you play the chord pattern - there is less for the brain to do   - at least as a guitar and piano player verses a tenor sax...... that's what I've found

Thanks Trucker- WHAT!?

bapu
    Re:Orchestra in a rock concert 2010/07/28 17:23:48 (permalink)
    all the great orchestras and players that stood in the same spot

I once stood on the Red Rocks stage.

I also stood on a corner in Winslow Arizona.

I have pictures of both of those events (somewhere in the ex-wife archives).

Mooch4056
    Re:Orchestra in a rock concert 2010/07/28 17:38:29 (permalink)
    I also stood on a corner in Winslow Arizona.

but did a girl in a flat bed Ford slow down and take a look at you? Of course she wasn't slowing down for you. In fact she sped up to drive past you faster.

I was standing up the road on a different corner and what she was really doing was speeding past you to get to me so we can go out to our rendezvous trip to Paris and make sweet passionate  love and video tape it for the weekend to upload on the internet and sell for major profit 30 years after the song came out. I was only 10 when it happened but I had the same sexy body I do now and told her I was 23.

- Glen Fry couldn't put all that info in two lines of lyric so he shortened it. Plus he didn't want you to feel bad bapu. You know that you can only count on your friends to be truthful with you .... WHAT!?

bapu
    Re:Orchestra in a rock concert 2010/07/28 17:39:47 (permalink)
    I think I found one of the pictures.

Mooch4056
    Re:Orchestra in a rock concert 2010/07/28 17:42:03 (permalink)

I think I found one of the pictures.

Worse cut and past photo work ...EVER!

PS....is that an illegal immigrant I see behind you bapu -- why did you cut and past that in their too? Make it seem realistic huh ?
    post edited by Mooch4056 - 2010/07/28 17:43:18

dmbaer
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2585
    Re:Orchestra in a rock concert 2010/07/28 18:40:44 (permalink)
    Mooch4056

Don't get me wrong ... I'm certainly not dissing the CSO.  My point is that I don't espescially want to hear any modern orchestra playing Baroque repertoire ... and that includes my own home team, the wonderful San Francisco Symphony Orchestra. 

Early music on period instruments played by performers who understand their proper use can make a huge difference in the experience.  I used to be skeptical of people who claimed that, but over time I became convinced that it's just better that way.

And just to be clear ... unless the MIDI performance is pretty exceptional, I have zero interest in hearing Vivaldi that way either.
    Mooch4056
    Re:Orchestra in a rock concert 2010/07/28 18:49:25 (permalink)

And just to be clear ... unless the MIDI performance is pretty exceptional, I have zero interest in hearing Vivaldi that way either.

THANK GOD!! LOL

How old an orchestra's history have to be to keep the essence of a Vivaldi Piece? Just curious to your taste. WHAT!?
    post edited by Mooch4056 - 2010/07/28 18:51:06

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1