Our cover of Toto's "Hold The Line" needs your feedback! (Dance / House / Something?)

Author
hiberna
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 122
2011/11/13 01:40:49 (permalink)

Our cover of Toto's "Hold The Line" needs your feedback! (Dance / House / Something?)

Hey, there! Back again with an interesting little piece. I decided to cover "Hold The Line" by Toto and this is what came of it...a shuffling little dance tune! http://soundcloud.com/hiberna/wip_11122011_2 I'm about ready to release this puppy into the wild, so as is my custom, I thought I'd stop by and get some feedback from you all! Comments / critiques / criticisms - they're all welcome! Please note that this is song is still unreleased at this point and while the original writer(s) are aware of it, we haven't nailed out the nitty gritty details yet, so please refrain from sharing it...for now. Thanks, everyone! D

8 Replies Related Threads

rhynosynth
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 520
    Re:Our cover of Toto's "Hold The Line" needs your feedback! (Dance / House / Something?) 2011/11/13 02:32:52 (permalink)
    This song really translates to this genre very well. The vox are kinda delivered Michael Jackson style a bit. Especially in the beginning. A lot of cool sounds going on in there. Not a big fan of the muffled vox and all toward the end but I know nothing of this style of dance other than it exists and I like some of it but all the rest sounds pretty good to me. Good luck with it.
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Our cover of Toto's "Hold The Line" needs your feedback! (Dance / House / Something?) 2011/11/13 16:07:12 (permalink)
    Not my favorite genre.... but this is cool. It sounds pretty good. 

I like some of the parts but others... not so much.... the muffled vox is one place that sticks out. 

The engineering is good.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    elix
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 187
    Re:Our cover of Toto's "Hold The Line" needs your feedback! (Dance / House / Something?) 2011/11/13 16:50:35 (permalink)
    yes the voice is similar to M.J. stile in the firt part !!

nice work !!

ciao
    elix  
    - - - - - 
    Intel Dp 55 SB, I5 750, 8 gb 1333, RME FF 400, UAD Solo , FaderPort, Yamaha P60, Korg (M1/ 01W/ Wavestation), CME UF7, Yamaha Msp8, Sony SS.
    Sonar X3 Production ProChannel(full), Universal Audio, Wavelab 6, Z3ta.

my Music : https://soundcloud.com/#e2studio
    hiberna
    Re:Our cover of Toto's "Hold The Line" needs your feedback! (Dance / House / Something?) 2011/11/13 22:52:11 (permalink)
    Rhynosynth,

Thanks a bunch! I've gotten a few comments about that muffled third verse, so I'm going to play around with letting it ride and let the DJs decide if they want to filter it!

Guitarhacker,

Good to hear from you! As I said to rhynosynth, I'll be looking at that muffled verse. Glad you partially enjoyed it. ;-)

Elix,

Thank you! I never thought of myself as an MJ-style singer, but there you go! Thanks for your input!
    post edited by hiberna - 2011/11/13 22:53:59
    evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    Re:Our cover of Toto's "Hold The Line" needs your feedback! (Dance / House / Something?) 2011/11/14 04:32:43 (permalink)
    I always liked that song.  You actually did a nice job on it.  I didn't know what to expect.  I thought the vocals fit nicely with the tune.  I like the electronic "thingys" that you use in it.  All around nice work.  Ok, I just got to the muffled vocal and am not a fan of that.  I like the transition back to the vocal harmonies.  You took a great song and didn't ruin it.  That is one of my favorite compliments to give.  Did you make it better?  How could you?  You made it different and everything fit. 

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    radio
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2782
    Re:Our cover of Toto's "Hold The Line" needs your feedback! (Dance / House / Something?) 2011/11/14 15:59:23 (permalink)

Yea this one does have a MJ driving beat to it , vocals are really good and clean .
    I would had mixed it differently but thats me , overall you have a winner once it is finished .

Nice song ! radio

hiberna
    Re:Our cover of Toto's "Hold The Line" needs your feedback! (Dance / House / Something?) 2011/11/14 17:03:33 (permalink)
    evadianepug,

That's exactly what I set out to do...NOT ruin a great song! I'm so glad you think I accomplished it!

I'll be looking at that muffled verse, for sure! Thank you for the feedback!

radio,

I'm curious...how would you have mixed it? I'm sure there's something for me to learn / do better in this mix!
    geeare1
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1906
    Re:Our cover of Toto's "Hold The Line" needs your feedback! (Dance / House / Something?) 2011/11/14 17:56:47 (permalink)
    Hi hibernia,

Didn't know what to expect but I like this. Good vocals. I don't really know anything about this particulat genre but this sounds good on my cheap headphones.

Nice  job.

-gr

'There's two kinds of music: good and bad. I like both.' - Duke Ellington

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=943338&content=music
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1