Overall Song Quality

Author
Basradaem
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 422
2011/07/20 21:41:30 (permalink)

Overall Song Quality

Hi everyone.  First I wanted to say that it's been a while!  I've been so busy with all kinds of stuff in my life that I haven't made enough time for music or at least hanging out here and chatting with folks, etc.  My apologies.  It's rough working a full time job and then working for your small business after hours and on weekends while juggling family and life.  I'm going to try and make more of an effort to stop by more often if anything

I posted a few songs here last year that are on my upcoming album, if I can ever get the damned thing done..!  I've made lots of improvements since then in the spare time I've had here and there throughout the past year.  I'd like to get some opinions on the overall quality of the songs.  What I'm looking for are opinions on the balance of the mix, production quality, quality of the instrument samples (i.e. an instrument sounds ****ty), and one of the bigger opinions I'm looking for is the tone of the rhythm guitars.  I spent countless hours over the last year or so tweaking Electri6ity and Guitar Rig 4 to finally get the rhythm guitars to the point where I love them, but I'm curious as to what others think.

I'm tired out of my mind so I'm hoping I'm making sense. 

Here's the link to the songs on Reverbnation.

Any feedback is appreciated and thanks for listening!

Luke Sarro
--------------
Sonar Platinum 64-bit on Windows 10 x64 

14 Replies Related Threads

Maxprizm
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 824
    Re:Overall Song Quality 2011/07/21 21:02:50 (permalink)
    Sounds great. Drums feel a little stiff, hihat gives it away in spots but I love the kick/snare, what are those? Some of the best guitar sounds I've heard from a sim, I dumped those years ago, sounds like it's working for you. I like dark stuff so this is up my alley. Some of the synths sounded a little cheap but they do add to the atmosphere and the tracks as a whole convey an emotion which is pretty much the point, so I'd say work well done.

Ed Edge

vaisvil
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 57
    Re:Overall Song Quality 2011/07/21 21:58:23 (permalink)
    I think the quality is top notch. Being a guitarist I have to say your guitars sound very real. To be fair metal guitar doesn't have the subtlety that acoustic or classical guitar has - but that is not what you are going for. I enjoyed what I heard. Thanks for sharing!

chris
    BIABDude
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 676
    Re:Overall Song Quality 2011/07/21 22:04:48 (permalink)
    Guitar + + + 1
    Heavy_Sounds
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 27
    Re:Overall Song Quality 2011/07/21 23:50:45 (permalink)

You've always had great songs and great sound quality in my opinion from what I've heard.

It sounds great to me as is! Although I must ask, are you playing a real guitar or is it a keyboard?/software or programming?

Sorry, I can't remember who's who here lately and I read somewhere where someone was using some awesome software that sounds just like a real guitar, not sure if it was you or not?

Thumbs up! +1

Bob Oister
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2766
    Re:Overall Song Quality 2011/07/22 04:40:43 (permalink)
    Hey, Luke,

I listened to all three songs, and they all sound really great!

Electri6ity actually sounds very convincing through Guitar Rig 4, especially on the later solos in Starless Night, and all three mixes sound excellent.

Really nice work!

Bob

Heavy_Sounds
    • Total Posts : 27
    Re:Overall Song Quality 2011/07/23 00:55:07 (permalink)
    Bob Oister

Hey, Luke,

I listened to all three songs, and they all sound really great!

Electri6ity actually sounds very convincing through Guitar Rig 4, especially on the later solos in Starless Night, and all three mixes sound excellent.

Really nice work!

Bob

I know we all get busy, but what is it with this dude, he's always posted a song and not replied for a month or so.

Don't get me wrong he's a very nice person but it's kinda insulting when you say something about someones song and they don't reply for a long long time after they were the ones to start the thread to begin with.

Basradaem
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 422
    Re:Overall Song Quality 2011/07/23 13:06:10 (permalink)
    @Maxprizm - Thanks for the comments, Ed! The drums are done in Superior Drummer 2.0 using the NY Avatar kit. I made a custom preset. There are some synths that I considered replacing, but haven't quite found a replacement yet. I may need to get new software. Then again, I start thinking to myself that I'm so used to those synths being there that they feel like they belong. We'll see

@vaisvil - Thanks Chris! I'm glad that I'm able to pull off really convincing guitars. It took me quite a while to figure out but it's all good. Glad you enjoyed it!

@BIABDude - Thanks dude! Glad you dig the guitar, haha

@Heavy_Sounds - Thanks man! I appreciate the comments. The guitars are all done with Electri6ity routing through Guitar Rig 4. Not sure if I was that guy you are referring to. There are others that use the same software. I've been MIA on these boards since I think December of last year.

@Bob Oister - Thanks for the comments, Bob! Glad I was able to convince yet another guitarist. . I think I'm ready to start working on new tunes so I can complete this album. Now the key is, when time permits

Heavy_Sounds

I know we all get busy, but what is it with this dude, he's always posted a song and not replied for a month or so.

Don't get me wrong he's a very nice person but it's kinda insulting when you say something about someones song and they don't reply for a long long time after they were the ones to start the thread to begin with.
    I think you have me mistaken for somebody else.  I have never posted a song and not reply for a month or so.  Seriously, I haven't even been on these boards in several months and this is my first time back since.  I may go a few days without replying, and that's because I avoid bumping my own thread with every reply.  But a month or so?  Sorry, that's not me.

Luke Sarro
    --------------
    Sonar Platinum 64-bit on Windows 10 x64 

Janet
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Overall Song Quality 2011/07/24 11:34:05 (permalink)
    Glad to see you back around here, Luke!  :)  These sound amazing.  Wow.  I'm glad you got your head around your new software and I hope you can find time for more music before long.  :)
    droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    Re:Overall Song Quality 2011/07/24 12:46:17 (permalink)
    It sounds good to me. Not my genre per se, but the guitars all sound like they should sound for that type of music, and the performances are tight.

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    philz
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2462
    Re:Overall Song Quality 2011/07/24 14:58:02 (permalink)
    With apologies, I only had time to listen to to the 1st song which I thought was excellent.

Whatever they were, the playing was excellent.  I felt that the tune was well put together too, and the mix felt good.
    droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    Re:Overall Song Quality 2011/07/24 20:36:06 (permalink)
    Oh, yeh, I guess I should have said as well, I listened to the first one.

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re:Overall Song Quality 2011/07/24 20:49:16 (permalink)
    I listened to 45 seconds of the first one. I think your guitars sound fine. Don't know why it took a year just for the guitars but anyway. I think your obsession with the sounds of the guitars is probably what's hurting this mix.
    Forget the guitars, they're fine except way too loud. Mix the TUNE not the guitars. But then, I only got as far as 45 seconds so I don't know what else is there. 

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

TheBerlinPatient
    • Total Posts : 32
    Re:Overall Song Quality 2011/07/24 23:16:17 (permalink)
    Great Job man seriously !
    TheBerlinPatient
    • Total Posts : 32
    Re:Overall Song Quality 2011/07/24 23:18:10 (permalink)
    Great Job man seriously !
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1