Overcoming lyrical blocks?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Metaphasic
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 262
2011/08/24 04:04:10 (permalink)

Overcoming lyrical blocks?

Sorry if this doesn't go here, but it's related to a song I posted some time back. The thing is, the music came naturally, but when it comes to lyrics, I just can't write anything. I came up with a decent chorus for it though. It's only four lines long, and the problem is, it says all I really want to say. How does one come up with verses in a situation like this? This isn't the first time this has happened to me either. In fact, I haven't written full lyrics to a song in about ten years, though I've composed many pieces of music. Help?

44 Replies Related Threads

whack
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1188
    Re:Overcoming lyrical blocks? 2011/08/24 04:19:17 (permalink)
    I basically have the same problem as you, I could write melodies all day but the lyrics just slow everything down. I end up doing probably what you might try do and that is to try to flesh out what the chorus is saying which just end up horrible really! ive started enlisting other lyrical help sometimes now.

Cian

www.cmcgmusic.com

Melody and Meaning
    Metaphasic
    Re:Overcoming lyrical blocks? 2011/08/24 12:23:56 (permalink)
    So where does one go to 'enlist' lyrical aid? Keep in mind, I'm a hobbyist and can't use a paid service.
    Chappel
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2300
    Re:Overcoming lyrical blocks? 2011/08/24 12:33:44 (permalink)
    Serenarules

So where does one go to 'enlist' lyrical aid? Keep in mind, I'm a hobbyist and can't use a paid service.

Interesting question. I would think that music forums like this would be a good place to find people to collaborate with.
    jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:Overcoming lyrical blocks? 2011/08/24 12:56:35 (permalink)
    Well, what is the song about? Are the lyrics inconsequential to the music? If so, then all the words in the world won't make a difference (think: Louie, Louie).

Are you trying to tell a story? If so, is it yours, another's, or just made up?

I find a word and build around that. Or have a word in mind, and use it as a touchstone but never actually use it in the song.

And the number one thing: don't be afraid. Someone will always think it is stupid, while another may consider it genius.
    jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re:Overcoming lyrical blocks? 2011/08/24 13:04:26 (permalink)
    jamesyoyo

And the number one thing: don't be afraid. Someone will always think it is stupid, while another may consider it genius.

+1. Jon Anderson built a career on that premise.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Overcoming lyrical blocks? 2011/08/24 15:14:57 (permalink)
    Collaborate with someone who is good with words. 

You can ask around here...listen to the music of some of the people here. Look for someone who's writing you like and admire. PM that person and ask if they are interested. 

In addition to the Cakewalk forum there are many other sites and forums for writers and some are general whereas others are genre specific.

www.taxi.com is a songwriter site with lots of people looking for people to work with and write music.  they have  specific forums for writers.... songwriters nook, lyric lovers, collaboration corner, among others. 

Finding a good co-writer you can work with is a difficult thing...one who is open and willing to work hard.... when you find that one, or two, keep them close. 

another option is to simply google search "songwriter collaboration websites" and look through the results. 

We have some talented writers here so I'd start here. I found the lady I write with through this site, and quite a few musicians here can jump in to add instruments as well. 
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2011/08/24 15:17:17

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Metaphasic
    Re:Overcoming lyrical blocks? 2011/08/25 00:37:58 (permalink)
    Thanks everybody. This is going to be a hard project. It's a love song. I just suck at words. Even saying things here, sound like I'm a **** to me. Here's all I have at the moment.

Beautiful
    (I) know you can't see me, but I see you.
    (You) come to me in my dreams.
    Standing there before me, it can't be true.
    (But) then you start to speak.
    (I) know you can't feel me, but I feel you.
    (As) if you were right here.
    (I) know you can't love me, but I love you.
    (Even) though we can never be.
    (With) every passing moment, I want you more.
    (And) long to tell you how I feel.
    (My) heart beats faster and I start to sweat.
    Whenever I think of you.
    You are so beautiful,
    (like a) cool autumn breeze.
    (You) shine just like the stars at night,
    (when you) grace the silver screen.

Last four lines are chorus, and the only part I actually like. It reads like a junior high school poem, and a bad one at that. Er...it's about how I feel about a certain actress, and this is the sad part, I still can't think of what I really want to say.

Basic chord progression for verses is:
    [ F#m | F#m | C#m | C#m ] per stanza, 4 stanzas per verse. 125bpm.

Anybody who contributes will get partial credit, even if you're suggestion isn't used. Because I'm just utterly blank...
    Chappel
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2300
    Re:Overcoming lyrical blocks? 2011/08/25 02:04:09 (permalink)
    And this is for a song you posted? What is the link to that song?
    Heckxx
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 338
    Re:Overcoming lyrical blocks? 2011/08/25 03:18:53 (permalink)

I like the gist of your lyrics, they have a story/progression, but I think the wording is straightforward, and not particularly unique or creative.

(also, she's standing next to you, but then you say "as if she's right here", needs to be a bit more coherent, conflicting imagery)

With rhyming aside, here's my take on jazzing it up a bit:

You may be blind to me, but even if I was too
    I can still see you clearly in my dreams
    Standing right before me, I know it can't be true
    Even if your lips start to move
    Your senses may be numb, but I can sense your every move
    I'd know your here if you were miles away
    You could never love me, the way I think of you
    This story has an end that can never be
    With every passing moment, my heart wants to explode
    And tell you where my dreams were born from
    Every thought will cross my mind, but I keep them locked inside
    Even when I think of you

Cuz you are so beautiful
    You comfort me like a cool autumn breeze
    You shine just like a thousand stars at night, 
    when your image graces the silver screen (tonight)

I came up with these in a matter of 20 minutes, so they are by no means that great, but hopefully they can give you some ideas of how to expand on your lyrics and ideas. IMO, lyrics are the hardest thing about real mainstream songwriting. 

EDIT: I also find that when I'm stuck on a song, I'll put it aside and forget about it for awhile (sometimes an hour, sometimes a month), and then when I come back to read the lyrics or listen to the music I wrote for it, I'll come up with some fresh ideas. It's hard to balance this without being too lazy though, I'll tell ya

post edited by Heckxx - 2011/08/25 03:21:51
    Metaphasic
    Re:Overcoming lyrical blocks? 2011/08/25 05:38:47 (permalink)
    @Chappel
    The original posting was http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=2284460&high=Beautifull
    Though quicker to view http://www.youtube.com/user/MusicByMetaphasic#p/u/5/S-5_aBN_Bro
    @Heckxx
    Wow. That's pretty good. Though keep in mind, the verse lyrics I posted weren't in order (or in the same verse) as posted, but merely a scratch-pad of things that initially came to mind.
    @All
    Though I posted links to the original above, I'm writing against a slightly modified arrangement and mix than what you hear there. Considering I've been working on this for FOUR months now, I am going to open this up to the good folk here. I am going to provide a bundled project with audio only (so that you don't have to have the same synths as me). Feel free to record your own vocals using your own melodies. Also, feel free to tweak, remove, add any effects you want. The audio tracks do not have any embedded effects. Further, to help you get a feel for the "tone" I am going for, I will include a single MIDI track for the chorus as originally written (midi only, no synth), to be viewed in staff notation. The last line in () is to have v-vocal greatly thin the vibrato and transitions, so it has a t-pain like effect.
    I'm sorry I don't have a place to upload this big of a thing, except my own box.
    Download http://www.ragingpenguin.com/music/Mixdown.zip, rename "zip" to "cwb" and open. You'll have to set Master output for your system, but it should expand and load correctly.
    whack
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1188
    Re:Overcoming lyrical blocks? 2011/08/25 07:26:22 (permalink)
    Serena I have now started collaborating with people who I know are a little better with lyrics than me...and also I am willing to take criticism from people about my lyrics which do help.

I do find if the melody comes first (usually the case) that the lyrics are basic although if I write a poem first with some structure that can also work a treat as it is easy to fit a melody around that if thats your forte.

Cian

www.cmcgmusic.com

Melody and Meaning
    Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re:Overcoming lyrical blocks? 2011/08/25 07:50:31 (permalink)
    Serena, in my opinion, you just do the best you can. Not everyone can be poetic, and not every song needs that. Sometimes straight forward and to the point is good. How many songs today do we listen to...that we have no idea what the lyrics mean because they don't make sense to us? Some people will defend that as poetry. I call it "wtf does that mean?!" LOL! Two other things you can try that work great for me.

Once I come up with a topic or a hooky chorus, the song pretty much writes itself. When you have the topic, remember doing outlines in school? You probably hated them as much as I did. But, they can work wonders for lyric writing. Come up with your main topic, list all the sub-topics within the main, then elaborate on them in a bit more detail. Rhyme if you need to....don't if you don't want to.

One of the greatest tools I have ever used for helping me with words is Master Writer. It's a program that gives you everything you'd ever want right in one place. Rhymes, phrases, topics, thesaurus, synonyms, you name it, it has it. Having problems and need a phrase that rhymes with "please"? It will give you 5 pages of things that can fit. Multi-syllable words, like sounding words, it's just amazing. AND, it has a built in recorder in it so you can put your ideas down and do all your work in the same program to get your blueprint created. Then you can record into Sonar.

But don't stress about not being good at words. Those that people consider good lyricists, I usually have a problem with...it's always going to be subjective. Just because some one is weird or out there doesn't make them great...it makes them different and sometimes difficult to comprehend. I'm no great lyricist myself, but I do what I gotta do and usually don't have a problem. Think about topics that make you happy, make you sad, angry, fictional or way out there stuff...use your mind. Be sick if you need to...this is your chance to use your mind in any way you see fit without acting on something and ending up in prison. :) Don't be afraid to go out there. I wrote a song on my last album about a song and how it comes to me in my head. Also on that same album, we needed a bonus track for Japan. By the time we got to that particular tune, me and my writing partners were beat to hell and pretty much out of words and inspiration. But we had to give Japan that bonus track or we'd be in trouble since those are the rules when you release worldwide. Japan releases first and needs a track that doesn't end up on your Euro or US release.

So as we're sitting there looking at each other with this "I don't freakin' have a clue" look on our faces, my partner says "Danny...I got it...lets write a tune about being out of words!" I was like "huh...you're out of your tree!?" And at that moment, we started throwing phrases at each other and the tune was written in about 30 minutes and turned out to be one of the coolest tunes on the album called "What Can I Say". :) Anyway, best of luck to you...don't stress or get bummed out. Sometimes you can't get blood from a stone. If the inspiration isn't there, it just isn't there. But tools like Master Writer can really make a difference because you never get stuck while using that program. :)

-Danny

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:Overcoming lyrical blocks? 2011/08/25 08:08:53 (permalink)
    I wouldn't get caught up in the supposed triteness/contradiction of the lyrics. Nor if they make sense to anyone but you. With a good melody and performance, even stupid stuff like "Stairway to Heaven" can become a hit that leaves a lasting impression. This Beautiful song has got some eerie qualities, so a gently-delivered vocal with some tasteful effects can overwhelm any lyrical deficiencies. 
    Metaphasic
    Re:Overcoming lyrical blocks? 2011/08/25 08:32:31 (permalink)
    Thanks for the feedback guys. And James, considering what you said, the song Come Together comes to mind. I don't think anything in it made sense! In addition, I just mocked up four bars of the original composition, and surprisingly I think I know why I've been having a hard time. You're right, it was intended to have a very melancholy feel to it with a monotonic drone ala depeche mode. Below is my original concept piece. Anyway, when I went back and listened to it, I realised I was trying to impose a very specific style of vocals onto an otherwise missmatched piece of music. While the basic chord progression is the same, the overall feel of the original just made things jump out at me. I have to wonder now why I ever changed it?

http://www.ragingpenguin.com/music/original-concept.mp3
    Guitarhacker
    Re:Overcoming lyrical blocks? 2011/08/25 09:16:56 (permalink)
    The secret to a good collab aside from working with someone who is willing to "bare their soul"... is to not be critical. 

Take the lyrics you send and let them change them and re-arrange them..... then they send them back and keep doing that because every single time you bounce the lyrics back & forth, you will both see something new that will go into it and improve it..... of course, hopefully, the further you go, the less will need to change as you edit and polish the tune like a stone cutter polishes the diamond out of the rough stone. 

BMI/NSAI

No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    Re:Overcoming lyrical blocks? 2011/08/25 10:58:25 (permalink)
    Serenarules

I think the best lyrical aid is reading.  From the back of cereal boxes to the Iliad, read.  Another neat thing is to just note phrases.   Whenever you find yourself with a cliche while writing, just twist it around, change the nouns, make it mean the opposite. 
    Mostly make it a kind of artsy playtime with words.
    Get to be friends with words and they'll stand on their heads for you.

ps.  Only YOU can write the way YOU do.  Give it a chance.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    Guitarhacker
    Re:Overcoming lyrical blocks? 2011/08/25 12:21:07 (permalink)
    read books on writing songs and lyrics. A good author on this is Jason Blume.

BMI/NSAI

Metaphasic
    Re:Overcoming lyrical blocks? 2011/08/25 15:12:40 (permalink)
    RE: Mostly make it a kind of artsy playtime with words.

This is indeed a problem for me, I'll admit. I am an IT professional by trade, and have induldged in it since high school. My brain is wired to think in terms of what it succinct and correct, as opposed to the more abstract. I will make my best attempt this weekend, and hopefully arrive at a decent conclusion.
    No How
    Re:Overcoming lyrical blocks? 2011/08/25 15:24:40 (permalink)
    Serenarules

RE: Mostly make it a kind of artsy playtime with words.

This is indeed a problem for me, I'll admit. I am an IT professional by trade, and have induldged in it since high school. My brain is wired to think in terms of what it succinct and correct, as opposed to the more abstract. I will make my best attempt this weekend, and hopefully arrive at a decent conclusion.
    I hear ya about being succinct and a 'factual' kinda guy.
    You're right.  It's hard in this condition.
    It's actualy IMPOSSIBLE in this condition.

You (me, we) need to move to a different place in yourself.   It's definately there only it's not frequented. 
    Being tired is a door.  Being in new surroundings is a door.  Being madly in love is a door.  Having a couple glasses of wine sometimes loosens the boundries for me (although that is not necessary at all).
    What we need to do is get to a more intuitive, feminine, more elusive kind of place in ourselves.  It's when our heads are bypassed and our perception (childlike) is finally speaking.
    It's there for sure but we've each got to find it.

BTW...i read your lyric and it's good.  I would just reword a couple of the phrases but the meaning and message is lovely.
    post edited by No How - 2011/08/25 15:27:48

s o n g s

Metaphasic
    Re:Overcoming lyrical blocks? 2011/08/25 17:34:25 (permalink)
    Too true. "Bypassing my head" would be a lot easier though if I had Sylars* ability to harvest the abilities of others. Heh. I like your quote by the way. I think moving past being afraid of looking rediculous might actually help.

*Reference to HEROES television series, if you weren't already aware.
    Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Overcoming lyrical blocks? 2011/08/25 20:34:22 (permalink)
    I don't consider myself a lyricist either. I've written maybe 5 songs with words. I just don't feel like I have enough to say, or it's all already been said. But Daryl (from this forum) said to simply write a few paragraphs about what you want to say. Don't even think about rhyming...just think about what you'd say. As those things come, you might be able to arrange them into verses. THEN you can arrange them poetically. So, I tried it on 'Born to Fly.' I have no idea where that hook came from, but it sure stuck in my head. Then I thought, 'well, now what?' So I thought of 3 people that were stuck where they were, unable to fly...a friend in a wheelchair, a man in prison and an older woman in a rest home. From there it wasn't too hard to think of the short 'stories' and write them poetically. (now if I could sing well, this would all be just peachy, but that's another story). Another one was for my first grandson when he was born...I thought of all the people in his life, what we hoped for him, how excited we were for him, his possible future, etc...and somehow the words came. (I can usually get them to rhyme if I can just think of what to write....they're not particularly clever though...I also don't think I'm very abstract.)
    Guitarhacker
    Re:Overcoming lyrical blocks? 2011/08/25 20:39:15 (permalink)
    Most people are not born to be natural songwriters and lyricists. It is something you can learn, and improve with time and effort... just like most other things we do. The more you do it, read about it, study it, and continue to do it..... you will get better.

BMI/NSAI

guitartrek
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re:Overcoming lyrical blocks? 2011/08/25 22:52:53 (permalink)
    Lyrics didn't come natural to me, but I learned how talking with other lyricists, and reading some stuff.  What you need to do is get words and phrases flowing out of your mind.  Once it starts flowing it can spill out quickly, but you've got to set it in motion first.  One way to get the juices flowing is just by looking at lyrics from a good band or artist you like.  Try revising one of the phrases in your own words.  For example, "I'm so cold" could become:  "The wind came in" or "I'm gettin a chill".  It is very easy to do this - I could re-write that phrase 20 ways in a couple minutes.  Much of writing good lyrcis is revising.  When you write a new verse just quickly jot a phrase down - no matter how stupid it sounds.  You can revise it 10 or 20 times until it is perfect.  Or just jot single words down that come to your mind without any rhythm in mind.  The main thing is to get the words flowing.
    Metaphasic
    Re:Overcoming lyrical blocks? 2011/08/25 23:50:03 (permalink)
    You know, this has been one very helpful thread. I nearly didn't post it because everything else was an actual song. Thanks everybody.
    Quixote47
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 17
    Re:Overcoming lyrical blocks? 2011/08/26 03:31:45 (permalink)
    The ideas from the previous posters are all good, and the songs that they share are a testament to that. Some other helpful sources are books from Jimmy Webb (Tunesmith), Pat Pattison (he has several that deal strictly with lyric writing), and Sheila Davis (The Craft of Lyric Writing). Like everything else, lyric writing improves by doing more of it and by studying how to refine your techniques, and there ARE techniques. Learning some music theory improved my composition skills 1000 percent, and gleaning ideas and concepts from reading the authors listed above (and many more) had the same effect on my lyric writing. Another thing that helps me greatly is keeping a notebook of titles and ideas. These come to me in flashes of inspiration, or from hearing a line of dialog in a movie or TV show, or sometimes just in normal conversation. It's amazing how many GREAT titles all of us say and let them slip through our fingers. There's a guy named Rick Wicker who even published a book of thousands of titles and phrases for songwriters to get ideas from. When I get some music, I'll get the melody and chords in my head and look through my titles until one "matches up" with where the hook feels like it should be. Like Danny said, at that point the song will help you figure out what to do. But writing songs is like raising kids. You've got a general idea how you'd like for things to turn out, but each one is definitely different, and always has a mind of its own. And, like with raising kids, writing is pretty much a 24/7 kind of thing... My $0.02, Mike
    guitartrek
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re:Overcoming lyrical blocks? 2011/08/26 08:50:21 (permalink)
    I checked out Master Writer from Danny's recommendation.  The introductory video is great.  This is a serious piece of software for writing.  I'm using VersePerfect which is helpful, but nowhere near as robust as Master Writer.
    No How
    Re:Overcoming lyrical blocks? 2011/08/26 10:02:16 (permalink)
    So many great posts here.  Thanks for the thread, Serenarules.

Just one little note that is HUGE for me:

Don't let the critic/editor/perfectionist inhibit/censor the creative- brainstorming- wild,silly word play.   There's plenty of time to edit, clean it up, make sense of it after you've got some flesh on the paper.

s o n g s

Guitarhacker
    Re:Overcoming lyrical blocks? 2011/08/26 11:04:58 (permalink)
    guitartrek

I checked out Master Writer from Danny's recommendation.  The introductory video is great.  This is a serious piece of software for writing.  I'm using VersePerfect which is helpful, but nowhere near as robust as Master Writer.

I have and use Masterwriter, and yes, it really helps with the built in tools... If I need a word to rhyme with something I have in the preceding line... I can come up with a few off the top of my head, but, clicking on the rhyming tool in MW will display sometimes 36 pages of words that rhyme..... yeah...36+ pages for some words.... most have at least 2 to 4 pages.... that doesn't count the imperfect rhymes, and of course the rhyming phrases. They can easily take another couple of pages.... 

PLUS.... I believe it's only $200 now... it was selling for $300 at one time and BMI members got $100 off the list...  

AND, it has Songuard Service included. This is very handy for people who write a lot of music and need proof of creation and don't want to wait on the LOC or pay the cost of a copyright on everything.... I have many, many songs on it. It is really handy for protecting sketch ideas that you send to a collaborator. It's quick and easy and included. It takes about a minute to register the song on their secure server. 

I recommend MW to songwriters. 

BMI/NSAI

Metaphasic
    Re:Overcoming lyrical blocks? 2011/08/28 05:05:37 (permalink)
    Thanks, I gave it a try and for some reason none of the database driven functions worked. But I took a clue from the premise and used the thesaurus at websters.com. Here's what I came up with. Thanks to all who gave input and advice, as well as those who posted lyrical suggestions. You will each be mentioned in the final credits when I put it all together and post it on the tube.

Beautiful
    ---------
    [Verse]
    when I first saw you
    my pulse began to rise
    then my convictions failed
    and left me compromised
    you are all that I want
    you are all that I need
    so please listen true
    to these words that I sing
    [Chorus]