Overheated Vox AC30 CC2 late 90s/early 2000s edition - repair help

Author
Storm
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 808
2009/12/23 18:01:24 (permalink)

Overheated Vox AC30 CC2 late 90s/early 2000s edition - repair help

Hey audio technical wizards,

My brother and I need some help. We're trying to repair his VOX AC 30 which was left on for a couple of days on Standby by mistake. We're not near any dealers at the moment to drag it in, so trying to see who here can help us diagnose the problem.

We got a new fuse and replaced it. We could have blown the transformer, but I thought I would try to replace the tubes first. I talked to one guy in LA who can service it when I get back and he said replacing the tubes isn't going to matter at this point. So, my question for you guys is:

Can the tubes be overheated? Is it possible this is an easy fix or unlikely?

He also mentioned if I put in new tubes and the fuse didn't blow then it would confirm the transformer. But if the fuse blew with new tubes then it would be a tube problem. Did I hear that right or do I have that backwards? I've never played with the internals on his VOX and I have a Fender Twin, so I wanted to get some advice from any geniuses here who may have some troubleshooting procedure we can go through to solve where the issue lies and any temp fixes we can do during the holidays. He can play his Blues Deville through the holiday but if we can get the VOX going for the shows it would help immensely.

Any advice?

10 Replies Related Threads

guitardog247
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1226
    Re:Overheated Vox AC30 CC2 late 90s/early 2000s edition - repair help 2009/12/23 18:45:54 (permalink)
    Why did the service guy say replacing tubes didn't matter at this point? Is he making assumptions with out even seeing it? Tube amps can be left on for long periods. I've forgotten about using my amp, and left it on overnight a couple of times.

It's very possible it's a very easy fix. I think you should take it to a good tech, and not someone who's going to make assumptions right away.

I thought my amp was fried, transformer. New tubes didn't work. It ended up being a resistor. The tech only charged me $40. I thought that was a steal, I was prepared to spend much more (I'm a service tech in a different field, we charge $245/hr. )

Like I said, take to someone good, they will find out what's going on.

Sonar, Les Paul Studio, FTU, puter, plugs.........
    The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Overheated Vox AC30 CC2 late 90s/early 2000s edition - repair help 2009/12/23 19:07:18 (permalink)
    well,

You haven't actually described the problem.

It's going to be hard for any of us to comment without having some idea of the symptoms you are experiencing.

"Standby" implies that the heaters in the tubes were being heated but that the plates and grids did not have high voltage on them.

With the amp is standby the amp shouldn't be as hot as when it is not in standby mode... and leaving a amp on for a few days is not typically something that will hurt it... although the original Vox line did have a reputation for running hot and overheating, the reputation is largely attributed to lack of ventilation. Maybe the reissues are accurate. ;-)

The point I am trying to make is that you probably have some routine part failure. A burnt out transformer is NOT routine... where as a burned out resistor, bad tube, or dead capacitor is common.

You might try replacing some tubes... and they might fix the issue... but if it was a bad tube the tube will probably have seemed bad...  internal sparking, red glowing plates melting into Salvador Dali shapes, fire, smoldering black soot on the sockets... that sort of thing.

If it's something else that killed one of your tubes... it will kill your new tubes too.... so you'll want to know what really happened.

Take the amp to your tech... or at least pull the chassis and look for burnt out parts before placing a fresh tube in.

all the best,
    mike

35mm
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1105
    Re:Overheated Vox AC30 CC2 late 90s/early 2000s edition - repair help 2009/12/23 20:02:05 (permalink)
    Is the amp dead - completely? Or making a funny noise, or what? Disconnect from the mains, and look on the board and check all the smaller components first - resistors, capacitors etc. Make sure both metal solder legs are complete and not broken/missing on all components. Look for burn marks on the board and on components. Give each component a gentle wobble to make sure it isn't lose or has a broken solder joint. A lot of the time you can find problems just by doing a visual inspection like this.
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:Overheated Vox AC30 CC2 late 90s/early 2000s edition - repair help 2009/12/23 20:57:29 (permalink)
    one thing none of us has stressed

DONT TOUCH ANY THING INSIDE YOUR TUBE AMP... EVER!!! UNLESS YOU HAVE THE SKILL TO CHECK THAT THE POWER CAPS ARE DISCHARGED or YOU HAVE THE SKILL TO WORK ON A HOT AMP.

A TUBE AMP HAS DEADLY VOLTAGE AND AMPERAGE RUNNING INSIDE IT... THE DEADLY VOLTAGES SOMETIME REMAIN AFTER YOU HAVE TURNED OFF AND UNPLUGGED THE AMP. IT MAY KILL YOU IF YOU TOUCH THE WRONG THING.

So, just look and do not touch... got it?
    post edited by mike_mccue - 2009/12/24 07:59:53

jackn2mpu
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2765
    Re:Overheated Vox AC30 CC2 late 90s/early 2000s edition - repair help 2009/12/26 08:44:44 (permalink)
    Storm:
    What is the amp doing (or not doing)? Tubes won't light up? If so, is it all the tubes or just some? If they light up but you have no sound remember that some amps have a fuse on the output from the amp to the speaker. See if that's still intact. Tubes should be easy to get - 4 EL84's in the output; don't remember the preamp tubes at this moment.

It's possible the filaments got so hot with being on for so long and the amp took a physical hit (somebody bumped into it and knocked it over) that the filaments just fell over and broke. Seen that happen before.

Jack
    Qapla!
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:Overheated Vox AC30 CC2 late 90s/early 2000s edition - repair help 2009/12/26 09:33:52 (permalink)
    Honestly, that is sort of like saying that burning a light bulb continuously will make it too hot. These tubes were designed to be banged around in portable radio sets... and these tubes were also designed to be run 24/7 in stationary radio sets. It may be a tube... it's surely something simple. One bad power tube will not result in silence... you'll get distressed and reduced power.

One bad preamp tube will not usually result in complete silence... it may switch out the input signal but you can check for self/system noise in the amp. Is it totally quiet? The fuse between the amp and speaker will trip if the speaker connections are shorted. If the speakers shorted... it didn't do it by itself ;-) and so I imagine we would have been entertained with stories about how much fun that was. :-) Check that fuse if the amp is totally silent.

The most likely candidate for a completely "dead" amp is a power supply filter capacitor. Does the amp appear completely dead?

If a power capacitor went down in a blaze of flaming glory... it is possible it took out a power transformer... but modern amps are usually protected from that exact scenario. So the cap may die but the transformer will be ok.

If you have a bad power transformer you probably will be blowing fuses or circuit breakers on the AC line. The windings in the transformer could short to open and then not trip again after a reset... but that usually takes some dedication... meaning a few resets and more shorting until it's burned through. Most people would remember and mention that. Did that happen? :-) Also this usually happens when you suck too much power through the power transformer. Only a terribly built tranny is going to melt and short while sitting at idle with no demand. So, I think it is unlikely it happened on this Vox.

It can also be a simple parts failure or bad connection of any number of small coupling capacitors or undersized resistors (which ARE susceptable to over heating problems). Symptoms for these issues can be all over the map.

What are the symptoms?

best,
    mike

punkrockmax
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:Overheated Vox AC30 CC2 late 90s/early 2000s edition - repair help 2010/08/31 04:01:13 (permalink)
    I am having similar problems with my ac30cc2 (mid 2000's). I left it on for a day and now it won't turn on at all. I replaced the fuse but when I try and power it up, the power light doesn't come on and the tubes don't light up. I shook the tubes as I would a light bulb and didn't hear anything, maybe a small shake but nothing really. I'm not sure how to test them. I would imagine the tubes are still good but even if I got new ones I cannot find a bias trim and do not understand how to bias this amp. I have pulled the chassis from the cabinet but do not see any visible burns or loose connects. I also smelled around, especially around the filter caps but it seems to be a ok. I have a very general knowledge of electronics and have successfully replaced filter caps before but I don't really know how to run tests on tube amplifiers. If I could locate the problem I'm relatively sure I could fix it. I guess what I'm looking for is help on where and how to run tests (I own a DMM). This would also come in handy as I'm trying to repair my buddys Super Reverb Amp in the same condition, although his problems may run deeper because he has smelly filter caps that I intend to replace and also had a tube die the last time he was running the amp.

All this being said I'm wondering if anyone knows about diy tube amp testing and any general information about the problems I'm running into.
    Storm
    Re:Overheated Vox AC30 CC2 late 90s/early 2000s edition - repair help 2010/08/31 12:10:21 (permalink)
    oh man, I never answered this one.......whoops.

I believe it was something internal in the capacitor. The tubes were fine. I'll have to ask him again. It's been awhile since we dealt with that one.

2 songs from storm's band reijo | Latest Video Shadows | new reijo track - storm on lead guitar
    Storm
    Re:Overheated Vox AC30 CC2 late 90s/early 2000s edition - repair help 2010/09/01 00:58:29 (permalink)
    It was the Rectifier Tube in my brother's case.

He said check in this order:
    Fuse
    Rectifier Tube
    then Capacitor

I think Mike's probably right on this one about the Capacitor because my brother's amp at least lit up and 'appeared' to have power.

2 songs from storm's band reijo | Latest Video Shadows | new reijo track - storm on lead guitar
    mgreene
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 148
    Re:Overheated Vox AC30 CC2 late 90s/early 2000s edition - repair help 2010/09/01 13:02:03 (permalink)
    I find this hard to accept / understand. If you cant safely leave an amp on overnight - how have guitar amps historically survived doing 4-6 hour gigs for years on end without a problem?

I just left a stereo tube amp in my studio on for 3 or 4 days last week - with no problem. This amp is functionally no different than any tube guitar amp except that the tubes probably have better ventilation.

I would be very dissapointed in such an amp if any of the internal components cooked just by leaving it on overnight - especially if it was on standby. This is not normal.

HOWEVER, one thing I have encountered recently is bad rectifiers. The AC30 is supposed to take a GZ34 - if it is one of the tube rectifed versions. Most of the currently manufactured GZ34s are pretty crappy compared to NOS - and on top of that, JJ was known to have had a bad run a few years back and the Chinese versions are said to just be bad in general. This year I had 2 different JJ's GZ34's die on me within 2 weeks. That said, my opinion is that they sound pretty good (for those that can stomach the idea of a rectifier having a sound).

My bet, for the guitar amp troubles described by the OP, would be on a blown rectifier. It is not that horrible to leave a tube amp on overnite. Current manufacture rectifiers are often defective tubes that would have been weeded out by QA at the factory in the old days. (Someone said that tube customers perform the QA these days :)

Fortunately, when tube rectifiers go, they usually dont hurt the rest of the circuit.

If you dont have a tube tester, you probably shouldnt bother trying to find remedies to a blown amp unless it is something obvious like a fuse or burnt resistor (but ofter these can be symptoms of another problem.) BTW - when a rectifer blows it usually takes the fuse with it.  A few trips to the tech for tube swaps and other simple repairs at bench charge and higher ($50 and up) and a tube tester starts to look reasonably priced.

Mike

Mike 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1