Helpful ReplyOverloud TH2 Producer vs. TH2 Regular

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
mikebeam
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 288
Re: Overloud TH2 Producer vs. TH2 Regular 2015/02/25 19:32:18 (permalink)
I will definitely NOT run the line out!  I had a feeling that would not end well.

I might have to pull the trigger on this...  Thanks for all the input.  I think the upgrade plus the Motu Z-box will dramatically help my sound.  Might be all I need.
Beepster
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18001
Re: Overloud TH2 Producer vs. TH2 Regular 2015/02/25 19:58:37 (permalink)
You should try some other product demos too if you can because sims have gotten a lot better in recent years. I kind of want to try Rack11 after hearing some head to head comparisons with TH2.

But as a Sonar owner you get the discount for the TH2 upgrade so that is another huge plus over the others.

And in regards to line out... does the amp have a specific jack that says "Line Out" that ISN'T the speaker connector? If so that is what you would use to send out to a mixer or interface. It's the speaker outs that will cause problems because on top of the sound they are pushing extra power for the speaker. If the only output is currently connected to your speakers though that's not a line level output. Headphone outputs work for sending to mixers/interfaces too but they'll be a stereo output so you'll want to use a splitter into two tracks or a stereo track. May not be as high quality as a proper line out either but works in a pinch.

Funnily enough when I got my Traynor the amplifier section was blown from someone plugging a powered mixer into the input (they thought they could use it as a PA speaker). I used it as a cabinet until I got it repaired. Great sounding amp and I got it for peanuts. Even with the cost of the repair added in it was a steal and it's been very useful. It's ridonculously heavy though but I ain't gigging anymore so it doesn't matter.
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Overloud TH2 Producer vs. TH2 Regular 2015/02/25 23:17:48 (permalink)
Every time I listen to the "Beepster Creep" I keep associating it with George Lynch's (w/ Dokken) "Mr. Scary"

I upgraded TH2 last year and it is incredibly capable, but I continue to get daunted/frustrated with the UI. TH2 is one of the programs where taking the time to read the manual is important. I always end up falling back on GR5 (from the X1 days) simply because the UI is more intuitive to me (not that it is any better), plus I have created more presets in it. One of these days I need to dedicate the time to a "TH2 only session." Folks who have taken the time to learn TH2 well tend to swear by it.
post edited by mettelus - 2015/04/29 16:47:59

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
Gone!!
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 797
Re: Overloud TH2 Producer vs. TH2 Regular 2015/02/26 00:24:20 (permalink)
mettelus Folks who have taken the time to learn TH2 well tend to swear by it.

Yeah, I prefer TH2 over all, I have TH2 (of course) S-Gear, GTR, Revalver 3, 3.5 and 4, All Studio Devil stuff, AmpLion, All Amplitube stuff bar 6 stomp boxes (I think Amplitube is pretty much crapola, why did I buy all of it ? I ask myself that same question) Guitar Rig 3 and 5 (I consider it just below my opinion of Amplitube) and a heap of freebies, of which the only ones I use are Ignite amps and the Lepou stuff, both of which are excellent IMO, I use them with Rosen Digital cab's/impulse responses.

I almost always go straight for TH2, sometimes GTR, mess around with the others every now and then, but usually replace them pretty quickly with TH2. It just has the bases covered with effects etc, pretty comprehensive, and I like the sound and feel. S-Gear is awesome, just lacks the bells and whistles, the comprehensiveness of TH2. For me TH2 is where it's at, never really had an issue with the GUI, that's what it is, doesn't bother me
mikebeam
Re: Overloud TH2 Producer vs. TH2 Regular 2015/02/26 08:23:48 (permalink)
Great stuff!  I appreciate all the perspectives - I have some decisions to make.  I've downloaded the demo of TH2.

I'm looking into the Motu Z-Box and have some questions.  I'll probably start a new thread for that and post the link here as it seems like enough of a tangent to warrant a new discussion.

Thanks!
mikebeam
Re: Overloud TH2 Producer vs. TH2 Regular 2015/02/26 09:47:42 (permalink)
I would appreciate all of your input on this:  http://forum.cakewalk.com/Motu-ZBox-Recording-Guitar-Directly-to-interface-m3181357.aspx

Thought it should have it's own thread.
leapinlizard
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 428
Re: Overloud TH2 Producer vs. TH2 Regular 2015/02/26 14:07:30 (permalink)
There's a guy on YouTube named PixxyLixx (he seems to spell it differently on occasion, usually varying the number of 'x') who has several videos of TH2, and the sounds that he gets out of it are pretty impressive.  In fact, his videos are what inspired me to spring for the full version of TH2, so check him out if you get a chance.  His videos can be a little obnoxious ("yo, what's up, dudes!!!") but he is a fairly good player and has some decent reviews of other stuff as well, so it's worth a listen.

"Surf music will never die." -- LeapinLizard, 1963
"We may never hear surf music again." -- Jimi Hendrix, 1967. 
Beepster
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18001
Re: Overloud TH2 Producer vs. TH2 Regular 2015/02/27 17:37:03 (permalink)
mettelus
Every time I listen to the "Beepster Creep" I keep associating it with George Lynch's "Mr. Scary"

I upgraded TH2 last year and it is incredibly capable, but I continue to get daunted/frustrated with the UI. TH2 is one of the programs where taking the time to read the manual is important. I always end up falling back on GR5 (from the X1 days) simply because the UI is more intuitive to me (not that it is any better), plus I have created more presets in it. One of these days I need to dedicate the time to a "TH2 only session." Folks who have taken the time to learn TH2 well tend to swear by it.

I'd never actually listened to that tune before but I can definitely hear some similarity during the double kick part.

D'oh! I'm always ripping people off without realizing it.

And if it's the preset bank thing in TH2 tripping you up... I feel that. It's a ridiculous beast but I've finally figured out a reliable system to create and save things. If you want I can type up some stuff. It really is a silly system.

The main interface is a little weird too but not as complex. The most screwy thing is the cab section IMO but once you find the double click cabinet options it's alright. The Splitter and Mixer thing can be weird but that's more about figuring out routing stuff and personaly I find it easier looking at a chain instead of a stack.

Kind of waiting to see if there will be a TH3. Maybe they could have a more traditional "rack/stack" view... and fix that freaking preset bank system.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1