Oversampling in Foxboro promising but leaves out some use cases

Author
yevster
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 761
2015/07/30 04:05:23 (permalink)
3 (1)

Oversampling in Foxboro promising but leaves out some use cases

Allowing to use oversampling in plugins is a great start, but enabling it on a per-plugin basis doesn't cover some significant use cases.

First, if a track has several plugins in series, wouldn't it be most efficient to just enable oversampling for the whole chain rather than for specific plugins resulting in multiple upsamplings and downsamplings in the same stream? I mean, if there's a track for which high-frequency resolution is particularly important, wouldn't it be important going through all the plugins? And if high-frequency resolution is important in, let's say a voice track, doesn't mean that we'd want to use oversampling on every other instance of the EQ used on that track. So I would submit that upsampling would be far more useful on a per-chain or per-FX bin basis.

Second, consider the use case of a band that records a song in 44.1khz, and then decides to make a music video. Now they need a 48khz version. It's quite likely that they'd get better results from re-bouncing their whole track with every plugin chain on every channel and bus working in 48 khz than by simply resampling their 44.1khz bounce. Cubase and StudioOne can presently do this. It would be great to see this in Sonar, as it would allow artists and producers a greater degree in future-proofing their projects. Maybe the kid in the garage using an older laptop would be happy mixing in 44.1, but he might want to know that should he ever "make it", he can get a 96k mix to send to mastering.

Thanks for hearing (reading) me out!
post edited by yevster - 2015/07/30 18:11:27

0 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1