Overwrite Automation

Author
CareyLetendre
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 141
2006/03/22 20:19:10 (permalink)

Overwrite Automation

I've recorded return level automation for an aux bus in my project. I'm having a dickens of a time overwriting my previous automation in real time [of course i could always paint my changes in with the automation tool but i prefer the real-time method] It seems the previously recorded data is taking precedence over my mouse movement even when pressed down and in motion as indicated below.

Quote from help menu

Note 1: Project5 only overwrites old automation data when you're actually moving a control or holding down the mouse. Just holding a control in one position does not overwrite old data. If you use Remote Control to overwrite old automation data, it's usually a good idea to erase any old data first, or use the mouse to re-record the data, since this produces a much smoother curve. To erase old data, hold down the right mouse button and drag the Automation tool through the data. If you just recorded the data, you can use the Ctrl+Z command to undo it.

Has anyone else experienced this erratic behaviour?

Carey
post edited by CareyLetendre - 2006/03/23 00:48:08

21 Replies Related Threads

three_eyed_otter
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2642
    RE: Overwrite AUtomation 2006/03/22 21:00:08 (permalink)

Yes. Erase that junk.

have a good one
    3Eo
    CareyLetendre
    RE: Overwrite AUtomation 2006/03/22 21:12:34 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: three_eyed_otter

Yes. Erase that junk.

have a good one
    3Eo

Thanks much. Perhaps it will be implemented a little better in later versions.

Carey
    three_eyed_otter
    RE: Overwrite AUtomation 2006/03/22 21:48:53 (permalink)
    I find working w/automation in the editor as opposed to the track view a little easier. You can create an automation and reuse it on other tracks by duplicating the pattern for a new track and then reassigning it to the pertinent parameter for the new synth.

have a good one
    3Eo
    jardim do mar
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1247
    RE: Overwrite AUtomation 2006/03/22 22:43:34 (permalink)
    ,,,perhaps more ,,,as "eclectic-o-licious" behavior,,,,,,,,,,,,remember ,,,pattern based,,,,,, this does include everything,,,,, ya know,,,,,,,,,, have you explored ,,, the "non-destructive",,,,,, real time,,,"independent looping,,,, on the fly,,,,,, power,,,,, of creating automated events,,,,,,to a " selected synth,,,,,,,,,,,,, via the editor ,,,as three eye,,, stated,,,,,,,, also you can "highlite ",,, any,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, section of automation,,, and copy and paste,,,,,,,,,,in the track view,,,,,, perhaps ,,well ya know,,,if ,,more of a "traditional ,,, method is perfered,,,, ya might want to ,,,,,, "rewire",,,, there are numerous ways to automate,,,,,,,, have you ,,experiemented with,,,, the p5 ini. file,, ya know ,, add more controls,,,,,,,
    post edited by jardim do mar - 2006/03/22 22:54:31

marcella
    And Remember,,,,One thing at a Time.....
    CareyLetendre
    RE: Overwrite AUtomation 2006/03/23 00:41:12 (permalink)
    Thanks for the tips guys. I guess i'll look into using the editor for automation as you mentioned. I suppose, coming from other software applications, i've developed a certain way of doing things. But that's the great thing i'm discovering about this app, as is with most, there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Carey
    three_eyed_otter
    RE: Overwrite AUtomation 2006/03/23 13:57:34 (permalink)
    the p5 ini. file,,

I'm thinking about personalizing alot of the softsynths using device chains. It would be nice (I'm assuming this is possible) to have more "permanent" options right from the get go w/out having to reassign parameters. So anybody know the P5 ini procedure or where I can find it?

have a good one
    3Eo
    bulls hit
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 822
    RE: Overwrite AUtomation 2006/03/24 04:28:05 (permalink)

I find working w/automation in the editor as opposed to the track view a little easier. You can create an automation and reuse it on other tracks by duplicating the pattern for a new track and then reassigning it to the pertinent parameter for the new synth.

have a good one
    3Eo

When I tried some volume automation on an audio clip in the editor, then played the clip in the groove matrix, it would play fine until I selected a new groove. It would then blink red in the usual fashion, but the audio in that clip would drop out before getting to the end of the clip and starting the new groove, leaving an obvious sonic hole.

Ever encountered this 3EO? Little bug maybe...
    ecamburn
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1510
    RE: Overwrite AUtomation 2006/03/24 08:38:03 (permalink)

have a good one
    3Eo

amen to that bro. not only easier to work with but until you've finalized your whole arrangement, track automation is pretty worthless IMO.

eric
    three_eyed_otter
    RE: Overwrite AUtomation 2006/03/24 11:54:23 (permalink)
    Ever encountered this 3EO? Little bug maybe...

I don't use the groove matrix (Hey but you're mis.......I know, I know) but if stick the file up at HERE I will run it on my system and be more than happy to give some feedback.

have a good one
    3Eo
    bulls hit
    RE: Overwrite AUtomation 2006/03/26 03:15:08 (permalink)
    Hey thanks man that would be great.

You want me to make a wav of that one particular clip? (The whole project is 225MB)
    three_eyed_otter
    RE: Overwrite AUtomation 2006/03/26 11:43:26 (permalink)
    You want me to make a wav of that one particular clip? (The whole project is 225MB)

Just post the offending track w/the patterns.

have a good one
    3Eo
    bulls hit
    RE: Overwrite AUtomation 2006/03/27 05:19:05 (permalink)
    OK it's up there as a zipped mp3, called For3eo

http://www.project5.com/Content/For3eo200632752144.zip

I've looped the section 2 or 3 times at the start so you can see how it's supposed to sound, then you can hear the gap as I trigger the next groove...
    three_eyed_otter
    RE: Overwrite AUtomation 2006/03/27 13:21:38 (permalink)
    Hey Bulls,

hit I'm finding it hard to believe the issue is related to the automation. I ran all kinds of automation and then triggered the patterns in the GMatrix to try and simulate your problem. I couldn't make it happen.
    By default, retriggering a groove stops playback of the groove.
    Maybe the groove is getting retriggered and being turned off?

Or your problem maybe a triggering issue related to audio clips. I could only recreate your issue w/audio clips. It seems that if don't have the option Change Immediately selected then the playing audio clip seems to get turned off early depending on when you triggered the next groove. Essentially I could only detect this to be the issue w/audio clips. When using Midi patterns the sound generated would play until the next pattern took over at the selected snap point.

If this doesn't help maybe you could post the actual P5 file instead of a wav and I'll open it up in P5 and see what I can come up with.

have a good one
    3Eo
    bulls hit
    RE: Overwrite AUtomation 2006/03/27 16:12:06 (permalink)
    Yes it definitely only occurs on audio clips.

I don't think it's the groove being retriggered and turned off, as the drums aren't effected (they're audio too). It only happens on the audio audio clips that I've volume automated in the editor.

When I get home tonight I'll rip out all the other stuff and make a cut down P5 file. Thanks for taking the time on this man, I appreciate it
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Overwrite AUtomation 2006/03/27 16:23:17 (permalink)
    You might want to try this bulls hit. In the Arrange pane, click in the automation section (to get the "focus"), Ctrl+A (to select even "hidden" automation), and the Delete key.

In a pattern that has note events, glide up the preview keyboard in the Editor to select all the notes (without selecting any embedded automation). Copy those to the clipboard, then Ctrl+A and Delete. Paste your notes back in.

This won't help your specific GM/audio clip problem, but it might help to cleanse out any residual automation curves from within the Editor or Arrange pane.
    HTH
    bulls hit
    RE: Overwrite AUtomation 2006/03/28 05:17:57 (permalink)
    Bit of a bugger this. The original p5p file is 225MB, not counting the audio which is another couple hundred meg. I deleted a whole bunch of audio and removed a bunch of grooves & tracks from the project. Guess what, the size of the damn p5p file didn't drop a single byte.

I'll have to just stick to editing in GT3. Thanks a lot for your help anyway. And thanks for that tip too b rock, I'll stow that for future use
    SuperGreenX
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 973
    RE: Overwrite AUtomation 2006/03/28 14:31:46 (permalink)

have a good one
    3Eo

Same here. I just make a bunch of track layers and have long patterns with automations in them.

three_eyed_otter
    RE: Overwrite AUtomation 2006/03/28 21:07:13 (permalink)
    I'll have to just stick to editing in GT3. Thanks a lot for your help anyway. And thanks for that tip too b rock, I'll stow that for future use

OK Since we got nowhere on figuring out the GMatrix audio mystery why not just run the loop in the Arrange Pane?\

have a good one
    3Eo
    bulls hit
    RE: Overwrite AUtomation 2006/03/28 22:52:35 (permalink)
    Not sure I follow you there 3eo.

At the moment my workflow is:
    1. Set up grooved drum, bass loops in the matrix
    2. Trigger a groove and record guitar on an audio track
    3. In the Arrange pane audition the recorded audio, create a clip, groove it & drop into the matrix
    4. Repeat 2 & 3 until I'm sick of it
    5. Arm the matrix for recording
    6. Trigger the grooves in the desired sequence and record the output in the Arrange pane
    7. Export the arrangement as a wav file (or files if I want to mix in GT3)

The problem occurs in step 6 if I have done any volume automation on the audio clips. Each triggered groove kicks in at the next measure. Unless I trigger the new groove a nanosecond before the next measure, the audio drops out completely (audible immediately and in the recorded output).

Like I said I can get around this by exporting each track individually and doing the mix in GT3, but with maybe 16 tracks, it is a bit of a pain
    three_eyed_otter
    RE: Overwrite AUtomation 2006/03/30 09:48:37 (permalink)
    Ok and this should work, although it's not as inspiring. The end result is a song. Correct? Just leave out the guitar track from the groove in the Gmatrix. Bang out step 6 like there is no tomorrow. Now in the arrange pane place your finely crafted (serious) guitar loop wherever you triggered the groove that it originally belonged to. Mix the recorded GMatrix track w/the guitar loop and export the bad boys. Yes? No? Maybe so?

have a good one
    3Eo
    rabeach
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2703
    RE: Overwrite AUtomation 2006/03/30 11:06:56 (permalink)
    Bit of a bugger this. The original p5p file is 225MB, not counting the audio...
    this is what confuses me never seen one this big since p5v1 without wav files. back with p5v1 all the patterns that were used and tried but not used would get tied with the .p5p file unless you removed them (in use and scrap). how can you have 225MB of midi.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1