Ozone 4 On Vocal Tracks

Author
EasTexGuy
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 160
2010/09/17 12:53:31 (permalink)

Ozone 4 On Vocal Tracks

I'm using it there with excellent results. My need for a DAW as many already know centers mostly around my wife singing to commercial tracks. While we are working together on a few original pieces we find more time available to do as we are for purely personal reasons. So... using pre-mixed/mastered sound tracks leaves me fully free to focus on the vocal. I started kicking around the idea of using Ozone 4 on the vocal track as well as the mastering mix. The all in one provided by Oz4 has really helped me fx the vocal and bed it very nicely into the music. I run the vocal through Sonitus:Gate--> :Eq--> :Comp--> Oz4.  I chop the ends off with the Eq and cut a couple of room harmonics that I've yet to beat with treatment. The compressor does a good job of smoothing out the dynamic range she likes to employ @_@. I like using the Oz4 preset "CD Master" with just a little tweekin to brighten up the entire mix. I'm really pleased with the results.

Just wondering if anyone else is doing the same or similar all-n-one with your original efforts?

My Rig: Sonar X1 Studio - Vista 32 on AMD Quad Core @ 3ghz w/4 gig ram - Lexicon Lambda - Assorted Nuts, Bolts & Plugins - More Talent on order as well.

6 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Ozone 4 On Vocal Tracks 2010/09/17 16:14:41 (permalink)
    Yeah.... since I have O3 and O4, and don't want O3 to feel left out, I have set up some instrument and vocal custom presets in O3 that I use on a regular basis.

As long as your computer has the horsepower to run all those FX in real time.... I see nothing wrong with it at all.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:Ozone 4 On Vocal Tracks 2010/09/17 18:00:35 (permalink)
    Use 'em all the time
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Ozone 4 On Vocal Tracks 2010/09/17 22:15:21 (permalink)
    now we know James' secret.....

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Ozone 4 On Vocal Tracks 2010/09/18 12:04:03 (permalink)
    I prefer O3 over O4 for vocals. They did something to the exciter in O4 that made it too mellow an effect for adding grit to a vocal.

The multiband section can also be used as a de-esser. I'll typically use three bands, with the top band crossover at around 4.5KHz for de-essing, middle band at about 200Hz and passed straight through, and compressing the low end with a fast attack and long release. That helps tame the occasional proximity woof without having to EQ too much low end out.

For a while I was using Ozone's limiter on vocals for leveling ("Soft" setting with a long release), but I've been gradually moving away from it. The limiter really works best in Intelligent mode with more complex material, like a full mix. (My new favorite compressor for leveling vocals: Kjaerhus Classic Compressor. I've used it for years on individual tracks, but lately I've found it also works well on the vox bus.)

If you like Ozone on vocals, you might consider picking up Alloy. It offers mostly the same feature set but it's intended to be used as channel strip rather than a mastering tool and is lighter on the CPU. I do not have Alloy myself yet, but it's on my shopping list.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    jimmyrage
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 238
    Re:Ozone 4 On Vocal Tracks 2010/09/18 12:55:17 (permalink)
    I sometimes use Ozone 4 on my drum bus, with good results.
    ba_midi
    • Total Posts : 14061
    Re:Ozone 4 On Vocal Tracks 2010/09/21 00:52:46 (permalink)
    If you like Ozone on vocals, you might consider picking up Alloy. It offers mostly the same feature set but it's intended to be used as channel strip rather than a mastering tool and is lighter on the CPU. I do not have Alloy myself yet, but it's on my shopping list.

+1 on Alloy.  It can be used on multiple tracks without too much drag on the CPU, whereas Ozone3/4 is definitely heavier on the CPU and on latency as well.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
    Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
    Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1