P5 Review in Music Tech Mag.

Author
ekeys
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 20
2005/06/16 23:46:15 (permalink)

P5 Review in Music Tech Mag.

I just picked up Music Tech Mag today at Barnes and Noble in the states. There is a review of P5. They do a little comparison with Reason and Ableton. Give a few pros and cons, praise of Dimension, etc.

As stated somewhere else, those English Mags set the standard. Between, CM, FM, Music Tech, and SOS, they are the best music tech mags around. Interesting.

8 Replies Related Threads

mumpcake
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: P5 Review in Music Tech Mag. 2005/06/17 00:14:55 (permalink)
    FM now has a US version FWIW.
    agincourtdb
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4753
    RE: P5 Review in Music Tech Mag. 2005/06/17 02:12:05 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mumpcake

FM now has a US version FWIW.

I'm subscribed. Got the first issue of Future Music, US version. It's 98 pages. Calling it a magazine is charitable. More like a pamphlet, compared to the last issue of the UK version I bought, which is Jan, clocking in at 162 pages. The June 05 EM is 152. Hopefully it'll gain some breadth before my year is up.

Frankly, I've become somewhat jaded about these mags. The reviews are rarely hard-hitting. I understand that the people writing them are industry people themselves and don't want to piss anyone off, but come on! Call them on their support evasions, on their spec fudging, on their driver problems, on their compatibility issues, on their copy-protection nightmares. (I read an online article by some guy who was supposed to review (IIRC) Waves, but instead reviewed PACE because of the problems it caused him when trying to install/authorise Waves. I wanted to give the guy a medal.) Where are those articles? The depth? Wheres the journalism???

/end rant.

Anyway, the bundled cd was ok. I suppose the demos would have been useful if they hadn't been for programs I either 1) already bought a year ago or b) already downloaded the demo for a year ago. Sooner or later they'll have something I need to try, and hey, you can always use more loops.

Andy C
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1272
    RE: P5 Review in Music Tech Mag. 2005/06/17 03:27:17 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: agincourtdb

I'm subscribed. Got the first issue of Future Music, US version. It's 98 pages. Calling it a magazine is charitable. More like a pamphlet, compared to the last issue of the UK version I bought, which is Jan, clocking in at 162 pages. The June 05 EM is 152. Hopefully it'll gain some breadth before my year is up.

I can't stand EM, I have the impression that if you did a word count you'd find there was half as many as in FM. The layout always makes article s look long, but the actual info is very short. And it uses the American journalistic style of making everything inot a story rather than an opinion or fact based piece. You know the style:

"Little did little johnny know that when he left that tuesday moring he'd never be returning to his happy home again"

Rather than:

"A road accident killed Johnny Winter on his way to school yesterday..."

ORIGINAL: agincourtdb
    Frankly, I've become somewhat jaded about these mags. The reviews are rarely hard-hitting. I understand that the people writing them are industry people themselves and don't want to piss anyone off, but come on The depth? Wheres the journalism???

I agree here. The only magazine that dos good solid review is "Sound on Sound" (except for their P5 review which seems to have missed all the new features !). Have you seen their review of the Arturia Mini Moog ? What other magazine would show Scope traces of the original waveforsm and compare them to the digital version to show just how different they are !

Andy
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    RE: P5 Review in Music Tech Mag. 2005/06/17 03:56:21 (permalink)
    I agree here. The only magazine that dos good solid review is "Sound on Sound" (except for their P5 review which seems to have missed all the new features !). Have you seen their review of the Arturia Mini Moog ? What other magazine would show Scope traces of the original waveforsm and compare them to the digital version to show just how different they are !

Andy

SOS have not reviewed it yet.

Best
    John
    post edited by John - 2005/06/17 03:58:24
    Andy C
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1272
    RE: P5 Review in Music Tech Mag. 2005/06/17 04:00:09 (permalink)
    SOS have not reviewed it yet.

You referring to P5 version 2 ? Yes they have, July edition which hit the U.K magazine shelves yesteraday. I have one in my (metaphorical) sticky mits. The On line version isn't there though.

If you mean the Arturia Mini Moog they have done three reviews, version 1, 1.1 and in the new edition 1.5.

Andy
    wrench45us
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4991
    RE: P5 Review in Music Tech Mag. 2005/06/17 08:45:56 (permalink)
    Little did little johnny know that when he left that tuesday moring he'd never be returning to his happy home again

i think Andy may have been hiding his talents as a journalist.

the morning sun was bright and low and the glint off the chrome bumpers of the parked cars was in his eyes, when johnny stepped between them and ...

tragic really

i have a pile of CM and FM magazines by my TV trays I always mean to get around to reading and don't. When I do read an article to find something out I'm shocked to find that I already know just about everything they're trying to let me know. The 'tutorials' or feature explanations are surprisingly superficial. I know it's a fast and busy world we live in but new versions of Absynth and FL Studio are covered in less than a thousand words.

the sample CDs and now DVDs are also pile up -- I used to think that was great, but it's rare that I get anything useful from these things. I can think of only 3 in about 2 years:
    -- microTera: 1st synth i really took to and programmed 2 envelope version of 1/6 of Tera. I wish the rest of Tera had taken the simple approach
    -- standalone NI Reaktor Carbon ensemble: -- still one of the most useful and versatile ensembles -- now updated with Reaktor 5
    -- a Precision Bass sample for Kontakt

Digital Aura
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5118
    RE: P5 Review in Music Tech Mag. 2005/06/17 09:11:07 (permalink)
    Have you seen their review of the Arturia Mini Moog ? What other magazine would show Scope traces of the original waveforsm and compare them to the digital version to show just how different they are !

hmmmmm.... EM just did an article/story on this in their latest issue too! Although its more of a review than a scientific forray into the differences between vintage synths and the virtual couterparts.
    woodamand
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 673
    RE: P5 Review in Music Tech Mag. 2005/06/17 12:44:41 (permalink)

i have a pile of CM and FM magazines by my TV trays I always mean to get around to reading and don't. When I do read an article to find something out I'm shocked to find that I already know just about everything they're trying to let me know. The 'tutorials' or feature explanations are surprisingly superficial. I know it's a fast and busy world we live in but new versions of Absynth and FL Studio are covered in less than a thousand words.

Ah, its not just me then - I almost always feel like that too - these programs are so deep and vast, why not really delve into them. I mean, I can be clumsy by myself, and how long is anyone a beginner?

check out the new Brain Transfer Project CD
    http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/braintransfer
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1